Chapter 16

Chapter 16

A Chapter by Dreamer

Chapter 16

 

Old enemies and new “friends”

 

Cameron kept glancing over his shoulder, the hair on the back of his neck warning him they were being watched for the past three days. He sighed in relief when the Southlands Compound came into view as they crested the hill.

Nestled in the middle of the city, banked by two rivers, the Jewel of the Southlands glistened in the mid-morning sun, the central tower standing vigilant above the city, like a bejeweled guardian. The landscape around them, despite their anxiousness, seemed not to be able to sense the mood as the sun shined serenely and the birds flittered through the sky. Each tweet and rustle in the underbrush sending chills down Cam's spine.

"Is it me," Don surveyed their surroundings, "or does something feel off to you guys too?"

No one replied, the ambience was peaceful enough, but there was a darker undertone, like the world was holding its breath. Little warning bells were going off in the back of Cameron's mind, tugging at his attention. The outer wall of the city came into focus sending the bells in Cam's head into a cacophony orchestra.

Skiff drew his sword, Cam and Don followed suit, the nearer the group came to the wall. The gates were open, in a manner of speaking, one was hanging by a hinge the other was splinters across the ground. Silence reigned in the city beyond the gates, the absence of life hitting the group like a wall. Skiff dismounted, signaling the others to do the same, leading his horse he peered cautiously down every alley and side street they passed. The City was different in its layout to Kalm, where in Kalm no street ever went straight for more than twenty feet, this city was designed more like a spider’s web.

The road they were on seemed to be a major road by how wide it was and the fact that it made a straight shot to the Compound. The horses were skittish as they traveled further into the city; glancing over his shoulder Cam was certain he’d see someone following them. Same as before there wasn’t a soul in sight. Sighing softly, Cameron turned forward once again. Something caught his attention out of the corner of his eye, turning to face whatever it was he dropped into a defensive stance staring down an alley.

Skiff and Don turned as one right after Cameron had, waiting for whatever it was that had spooked him. Kailah tensed, feeling apprehension as the seconds of silence dragged on. A cat ran out of the alley, through Cam’s legs and down the alley behind them without slowing down. All four of them let out the breaths they had been holding simultaneously; Kailah giggled softly, relief making her giddy.

Skiff sighed, “Let’s go.”

The others nodded in agreement as they followed after Skiff, their pace slightly faster than before. The city was a ghost town, Cam hadn’t held much hope for there to be anybody there, but he had expected there to at least be bodies. The silence of the city was deafening. The south gate of the Compound came into view, despite expectations it was still in one piece.

Kailah’s horse suddenly reared onto its hind legs, jerking the reigns from her hands, and tore off toward the west. The other horses bucked, tearing from the hold of their riders and followed after the fast-dwindling flanks of Kailah’s black mare. Cam didn’t need a horse’s panicked flight to inform them the group was in trouble when a low growl sent the already risen hairs on the back of his neck into flight.

Cam swallowed as he slowly turned, looking over his shoulder. Anger replaced the fear that had gripped his heart at the sight of a tall woman with long black hair, pale skin, and dark eyes. Flanking the woman was a man with white hair contrasted by a black streak from temple to nape on the right side of his head and a Beast.

The man grinned at Cameron like he was a long lost friend, “Cam-my-man! It’s been ages.”

“Skrim.” Cameron growled bringing his sword to bear, “I’ve been waiting four long years to find you.”

Skrim was about to retort but Mistress’ raised hand cut him off. Her eyes had flicked in Cam’s direction for an instant but had remained doggedly fixed on Kailah. Skiff and Don waited tensely as the atmosphere between the groups electrified.

Mistress smiled. Like a rocket the Beast lurched forward, teeth bared and claws spread, before Cam could react, Kailah pulled a wall of earth forth from the ground at Cam’s feet. They heard a yelp as the Beast slammed face first into the wall. Cam didn’t have much time to relax as over the wall Skrim flipped, drawing his sword in the process swinging for Cam’s unprotected back. Cam managed to block and spin with a horizontal slash, but all he hit was air as Skrim landed and made a dash for Kailah.

He was intercepted by Don, but jumped back light on his feet. He made a few jabs at Don but each one was deflected. Don and Skrim’s swords locked together, grunting in effort Don held the stalemate as Cam came up behind Skrim. Skrim’s smile never wavered as Cam swung for his neck. Skrim dropped to the ground and rolled forward past Don’s defense, causing him to stumble forward at the sudden loss of resistance. Cam pulled his swing just in time to not take Don’s head off.

Skrim came up out of his roll just in time to get a wooden plank to the face. As the board Kailah had picked up shattered from the impact Skrim flew backwards and landed heavily on his back. Blood spewed from his nose as Kailah dropped the remainder of the board and ran to the left toward Skiff.

Instinct told her to dive forward, just as she did a phantom sword skewered the air where she had been a second before. Rolling to her feet, Kailah turned to face Mistress her eyes ablaze, fire slowly beginning to circle around her. Mistress smirked settling into a defensive crouch.

Cam lunged for the defenseless Skrim, aiming his sword for his heart. Skrim rolled to the side and up to his feet causing Cam’s sword to strike the pavement. Out of the corner of his eye he saw the Beast coming straight toward him. The tentacles of the Beast shot for his arms and legs but Cam was able to fend them off managing to sever one of the appendages. Skrim used that distraction to attack from Cam’s flank but was once again thwarted by Don.

Skiff came to Cameron’s aid against the Beast while Don fended off Skrim. Between the two of them they managed to hack the Beast into enough pieces for it to no longer be a threat, at least for the next few minutes. Cameron kicked one of the Beast’s hind legs a few yards away, hoping to delay its inevitable resurrection. Only magic could kill a Beast and their only source was currently fighting for her life.

Skrim kicked Don in the stomach causing him to stagger backwards. Before he could kill Don, Skiff came at him from the right. Blocking Skiff’s overhanded swing Skrim maneuvered his sword, bringing Skiff’s down, and turned bringing his elbow backwards and slamming it into Skiff’s temple. Skiff grunted in pain staggering slightly, Skrim kicked out catching Skiff off-guard, hooked his foot on Skiff’s ankle and tripped him. Skiff fell heavily to his knees, blood blinding his left eye. Again Skrim was cheated out of a kill as Cam slammed into him, knocking him to the ground, his sword skittering away. Cam had rushed to Skiff’s aid without picking up his sword so he resorted to fist as he punched Skrim in the jaw.

Skrim spit blood as Cam punched him again. When Cam threw another Skrim caught his arm and punched up hitting him in the chin. Skrim hit Cameron again and managed to push him off. Jumping to his feet he glanced around wildly for his sword. Spotting it he dove for it pulling up short as Don cut the space his arm would have been had he not.

  Cam had recovered his sword and stood flanking Skrim’s right while Skiff flanked his left. Surrounded by them Skrim breathed heavily from exertion, glancing from one to the next weighing his options. Don shifted slightly forward, tensing for an attack, Skrim noticed, but he also noted that Cam and Skiff were tensed to move as well.

An explosion knocked the swordsmen off their feet, sending them rolling down the street. Cam raised his head getting his bearings just as Skrim appeared out of the smoke landing on Cam’s chest a dagger in his hand. Cameron managed to catch Skrim’s arm before he could plunge the dagger into Cam’s throat.

Skrim’s grin grew wider as he put more weight into his thrust. Cam grimaced as the knife slowly inched closer to his throat. He could feel the tip pricking his skin, his strength slowly draining.

“Looks like you waited for nothing, Cam-my-man.” Skrim taunted his dark eyes flashing with deadly glee as blood trickled down Cam’s neck.

Suddenly Skrim disappeared from on top of Cameron. Coughing, holding his hand to his neck feeling for any gashes, Cameron sat up. Glancing to his left he saw Skrim groan as he rolled over, blood cascading from an enormous gash in his side. Before Skrim could recover a small dark blur appeared out of the smoke and again Skrim was sent flying.

As the smoke dissipated, sunlight glinted off of a two-handed sword as its wielder settled it on her shoulder. Gold eyes turned in Cam’s direction, aggravation mixed with boredom bore down on him from those almond shaped jewels.

“Are you hurt, Gantervez?” Esma didn’t sneer, but Cam could have sworn she did just then, “If so I suggest you stay out of the way.”

Despite him-self, Cameron blushed, “I think I’m alright.”

Esma didn’t reply but the look she shot him spoke volumes of her opinion on his state of being. Cameron got to his feet as Don and Skiff joined him. Esma paid them no mind, her attention once again on Skrim who had unsteadily gotten to his feet. He grinned at the small Galic elf before him.

As he opened his mouth to say something Esma shot forward with unbelievable speed and sliced him across the chest. Not giving him even a chance to stagger back in shock she hacked him again and again, his blood spraying across her already bloody uniform. When she was finished all that was left of him was his still grinning head.

Cam left the defeated Skrim to Esma and turned around just as there was another explosion. This time they didn’t lose their footing but the heat of the explosion was intense. Carefully lowering his hands enough to squint into the heat Cameron held his breath.

Kailah had a ring of fire surrounding her; occasionally it lashed out toward Mistress whose Phantom shielded her. From what Cameron could see it was a stalemate between the two Casters. The Beast Skiff and Cameron had defeated was a smoldering husk not three yards from Kailah’s inferno.

Mistress glared at Kailah through her Phantom’s defenses. Something to her right caught her attention and she snarled in anger. Her Phantom wavered then exploded in a bright flash. Cameron slowly blinked his eyesight back to normal; when it returned Mistress and the head of Skrim were gone.

Looking in the direction Mistress had, Cam thought he saw a figure disappear around a building. He shook his head thinking his mind was playing tricks on him. For the split second he saw it, the figure had had wings.

 

“Welcome to the Southlands.” Councilman Gin smiled pleasantly at the six of them, “Now, what the hell are you four doing here?”

The councilman was seated behind an ornate desk his elbows resting on the top, his chin on the back of his interlaced fingers. The half-elf’s emerald eyes were guarded despite his friendly attitude.

Skiff saluted not displaying any of the confusion he and the others surely felt, “Sir, Councilman Maltoris received a summons requesting aid. We came with all due haste.”

“Of that I have no doubt.” Gin sighed as he stood up from behind his desk, “I sent out summons but not to Maltoris.”

Kailah narrowed her eyes, “What do you mean?”

Gin didn’t answer right away as he walked over to the window and leaned against the wall looking out. Cameron glanced at Kailah then back at Gin, he was unpleasantly reminded of their encounter with Xerkieda.

“Two weeks ago we were under a Beast attack.” Gin sudden reply startled Cam, “Portals opened all over the city, not just one but by the dozens. Those that were able fled out of the city or to the Compound.”

“How is that possible?” Cameron demanded, “I’ve never heard of more than one portal at a time op-

Gin held up a hand interrupting him, “Nor had we. But the fact remains that it happened. Not only had portals opened, but Chaos Pairs appeared all over the city as well.”

“How many?” Skiff’s voice was level his eyes narrowed.

“I do not know for certain,” Gin sighed, “from last count it had been seven, of varying levels.”

Esma continued when Gin fell silent, “There were only four Pairs of fighting capability in the city at the time of the attack. Chelriman and I were able to help to what degree we could, as well as Councilman Gin.”

The others remained silent as she recounted the details of their efforts. They had managed to defeat the Beasts that had been set loose in the city but at the cost of a Pair who had given their lives in the defense of a group of civilians. The Chaos Pairs were defeated in time but Mistress and Skrim had been the last Pair reported still present in the city.

“We sent out messengers to the neighboring capitols,” Gin picked up, “but not all the way to Kalm. What would be the point in that?”

Cameron’s stomach started to sink, “If you didn’t, then who did?”


© 2014 Dreamer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ooooooh! Plot Twist! Loving it!!! 3:) Its great I think to introduce those points into a book. It creates a sense of Paranoia and confusion, but also intrigue, which is just the key you need to keep people interested and reading.
I was surprised seeing Skrim and Mistress pop up again, but it felt a bit like they had been going quiet for a while so I suppose its only natural. You've gotten better at describing the battle scenes, so kudos to you for that. I also liked the bit with Kailah, when she hits Skrim in the face with a plank, rolls, and then has that little showdown with Mistress. The way you described how they stare down first I thought was great. Although, with the fire in use I was half expecting Princess to make a return. She's always good fun ;) . lol. That and when Kailah uses the earth to make a wall. A name for that side of her might help a bit to remember the parts of her. (or just a name for each- even just as little references)
That said. Brilliant job Dreamer. I eagerly await your next update. (Pirate smiley)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dreamer

10 Years Ago

thanks wolven as always :D
Kailah's latent personalities do have their own nick-names given ev.. read more



Reviews

Ooooooh! Plot Twist! Loving it!!! 3:) Its great I think to introduce those points into a book. It creates a sense of Paranoia and confusion, but also intrigue, which is just the key you need to keep people interested and reading.
I was surprised seeing Skrim and Mistress pop up again, but it felt a bit like they had been going quiet for a while so I suppose its only natural. You've gotten better at describing the battle scenes, so kudos to you for that. I also liked the bit with Kailah, when she hits Skrim in the face with a plank, rolls, and then has that little showdown with Mistress. The way you described how they stare down first I thought was great. Although, with the fire in use I was half expecting Princess to make a return. She's always good fun ;) . lol. That and when Kailah uses the earth to make a wall. A name for that side of her might help a bit to remember the parts of her. (or just a name for each- even just as little references)
That said. Brilliant job Dreamer. I eagerly await your next update. (Pirate smiley)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dreamer

10 Years Ago

thanks wolven as always :D
Kailah's latent personalities do have their own nick-names given ev.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

308 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 14, 2014
Last Updated on April 14, 2014


Author

Dreamer
Dreamer

LA



About
I'm just a simple country girl who likes to write the (what I find cool) stories I daydream up in my head. I also have a deviantart account at http://khiramae.deviantart.com/ don't have a whole lot .. more..

Writing
Prolog Prolog

A Chapter by Dreamer


Death Death

A Book by Dreamer


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Dreamer