Chapter 29

Chapter 29

A Chapter by Dreamer

Chapter 29

 

Lethal Levity

 

Don whistled some tune that Cameron couldn’t quite place as the three of them walked down the lane toward the stadium. The spring turning to summer gave grace to the temperatures that stayed within tolerable ranges throughout the day. Cameron could smell the rain building on the horizon though as a chill breeze whipped past them. He was sure the coat makers of Kalm would be turning a nice profit during the tournament selling to the people from the southern districts.

“How’s the squad looking, Don?” Cameron asked.

Don snapped his head back around from watching a pretty thing stroll past, “Sorry, do what?”

Cameron rolled his eyes heavenward as Kailah gave the young man a withering glare. She had voiced her opinion on Don’s extra-curicular activities during their recent trip back from the Southlands, but only to Cameron and Don. Don had shrugged and assured her it was all mutual, albeit with a wolfish grin.

“I said,” Cameron reiterated, “How’s the squad looking?”

They made it to the market quarter when Cameron’s stomach growled loudly as the scents from the different stalls hit him like a tangible wave. Kailah giggled then blushed deeply when her own stomach joined his in the song of hunger.

Don grinned at them both, “You two want to grab lunch and I’ll just meet you at the stadium?”

“You’ve eaten already?” Cameron asked his mouth watering at the thought of food. He hadn’t realized how hungry he was but he hadn’t eaten since breakfast several hours before.

“Yeah, I had something at Skiff’s house,” He nodded his grin growing wider, “So I’m good. See ya’ll later!”

They waved goodbye to him as he split off from them at a fork in the road. The two of them walked further into the market quarter enjoying the sights and sunshine.

Cameron turned to Kailah, “Anything particular sound appetizing?”

“Yeah,” Kailah narrowed her eyes as she nodded, “a big ol’ meat bun!”

“Alrighty then,” Cameron laughed, “Snops it is.”

Cameron led the way through the thick crowd. Kailah started to lag behind and called out to him. He reached back and caught her outstretched hand, pulling her through the crowd to his side. Cameron might not have had Chelry’s size, but he knew how to keep his ground. Kailah huffed, a little out of sorts, as she straightened her dress that had gotten crumpled. Cameron thought she looked rather fetching in the short, light green dress. It showed off her long tanned legs, modestly, but still enough for Cameron to appreciate her southland heritage.

Cameron smiled at her standing so close to him, “You ok?”

“Yeah,” She laughed, “just thought I was going to get carried away. Come on, I can smell those meat buns!”

Holding onto her hand, Cameron set off through the crowd once more. They arrived at a rinky-dink shop at the very back corner of the market. The shop was busy as usual, Cameron could make out the East Coastern family weaving through the small tables, delivering meals and taking orders.

“Ahah!” The patriatch of the family, Phelan Snops, spotted them as they ducked into the shop, “If it isn’t my favorite Pair in all of Kalm! Please sit wherever you wish, Catalina will be with you shortly.”

Cameron smiled as the man snapped his fingers and rattled something off in Coastian to one of the five girls working the floor. He and Kailah sat in the corner table to the left of the entrance. Catalina replied back to her father in the same twisting tongue. Cameron had forgotten Kailah knew the language, until she giggled at the girl’s reply. Phelan grumbled something but went back to his cooking without a rebuttle to whatever she had said.

“Pleasant day to you, Kailah, Cameron,” Catalina smiled warmly at them, “What can I get you?”

“I’d love a meat bun,” Kailah replied returning the smile.

Cameron nodded as Catalina turned to him, “The same for me, and an order of pear-do, please.”

“Very well,” the girl smiled, turned and walked toward her father shouting their order to him in Coastian.

Kailah stared out the front of the shop while they waited for their meal, the conversations of the other patrons occasionally broken by an order in Coastian. The front of the shop was open, with a low railing providing a place for the lone diner to perch. From the vantage point of their table they could watch the busy market quarter, thanks to the shops catacorner orientation to it. Cameron instead watched Kailah.

Catalina brought out the pear-do, a dish made from four different varrities of pears, cinnamon, and sweet potatoes. Cameron thanked her as she deposited the plate on the table and left. Picking up one of the sweet rolls, Cameron began smearing the jam like substance liberally onto it. Kailah smiled and did the same as Cameron made appreciative noises.

“So, who all is in Skiff’s squad?” Kailah asked him taking a tentative bite of the hot roll in her fingers, “I’ve only met Don.”

Cameron shrugged, “You’ll meet them all soon enough but, there’s the twins, Itsui and Yorrie, you’ll like them. Martrer, think male Esma. Jameson, nice guy, freakishly good with a stiletto, unfortunately he’s a cleptomaniac. Philian, he’s an odd one; I could never really tell what he was thinking. Then there’s Kanton, as straight laced a guy as they come, though him and the twins butted heads quite often. There are two new members since I was part of the squad, Roy and Toren; I never met them in person.”

“That’s quite a few people,” Kailah raised her eyebrows, “Are they all equal rank or-“ her voice trailed off with a shrug.

Cameron shook his head, “No, believe it or not, Don’s the vice-captain.”

“No way!” Kailah exclaimed, shocked, “How?”

Laughing Cameron shook his head, “Despite his flirtatios charm and goofy nature, Don’s a natural leader. Surprising I know, but the only thing keeping him from being a full captain is his age.”

“I still can’t really picture Don Felsh as a vice-captain,” Kailah mused as Catalina put their order on the table. She picked up the empty plate of pear-do with a small smile and wandered off toward her father.

 “I know,” Cameron agreed, “but he is. The structure of a squad is captain, vice-captain, commander, or commanders depending on the preference of the captain.  Lieutenants then privats, bottom of the totem pole.”

Kailah arched an eyebrow, “Ok, who’s what?”

“Skiff’s commanders are Martrer and Jameson,” Cameron started to explain after taking another bite of the bun.

Kailah held up a finger and quickly swallowed, “Wait, the cleptomaniac is a commander?”

Cameron nodded, “Yeah and a very good one. Martrer keeps him out of trouble, mostly. Philian and one of the new guys, Toren I think, are the lieutenants. The rest are privats.”

“Why so many?” Kailah asked.

“One commander, one lieutenant, and two privates per ‘captain’,” Cameron explained, “Skiff’s squad is unique in that respect, but it makes them deadly efficient. The two new guys replaced a squad mate they lost in battle and one they lost to retirement.”

Kailah popped the last bite of her bun into her mouth and licked her fingers, “They work so closely together that’s why it wouldn’t necessarily be an advantage for you to be thrown in the mix.”

“Exaclty,” Cameron smiled as he dug out his coin purse.

He stood, with Kailah following, and made his way to one of the daughters by the door. She was a pretty young girl, with bright green eyes and a nice smile. Cameron also knew she could give any man a run for his money if they tried to skip the tab.

“Did you enjoy our efforts?” She asked as she totaled up what they owed.

“Very satisfying, as always Mer,” Cameron smiled to the girl and handed her the money.

She called to them to visit again soon as Cameron and Kailah left making their way through the remainder of the market quarter. The sun shown down on them with a gently embracing warmth while they strolled along the edge of the crowds. Cameron could almost forget the horrors of the past month as they walked hand in hand.

At the edge of the market quarter the crowds had thinned enough where the danger of separation was non-existant. He missed the warmth of Kailah’s hand in his not long after she had let go. Cameron shoved his hands into his pockets as they walked, resisting the urge to catch her delicate hand once more.

“Now that’s impressive,” Kailah stated when the stadium came into view.

Cameron smirked, “Yeah, you should see it when it’s full. Come on, if Maltoris is there it isn’t wise to keep him waiting.”

The two of them set off toward the imposing structure of the stadium. Standing at just above 150’, the oval shaped monstrosity commanded a thousand foot field trampled barren by hundreds of years’ worth of boots. If Cameron remembered his history correctly, the first emperor, Anglamar, known as King Anglamar the Amalgamator, after uniting the twelve districts in the Era of Wars decreed that in each capital city of the districts a stadium was to be built. These stadiums, in theory, were to be used to settle disputes between districts“peacefully”. Cameron snorted to himself, theory hardly ever worked in practice, there was a reason it was named “Era of Wars”.

The closer they got to the stadium the colder it became. The hulking structure blocked out what little sun filtered into the heart of the city. Cameron could almost feel the ghosts of warriors past weighing his worth as they stepped through the main archways and into the sunlit field. The sudden change in light caused Cameron to sneeze loudly, drawing the attention of the few spectators in the stands.

“You ok?” Kailah asked with a smile, “I doubt Maltoris is going to let you off the hook with hay-fever.”

Cameron just smiled in response, scanning the field for any familiar face. At the far end of the field he could see Don waving like a maniac to get their attention. Cameron pointed him out to Kailah and they set off toward him. Cameron chuckled as Skiff reprimanded Don for breaking formation, scanning the small clusters of people in the stands he could make out a couple insignia from other squads. He was smiling, fondling remembering the ‘spy’ missions he went on with the team, when the two of them arrived at the edge of the arena where Skiff’s squad was practicing.

After the drills ended Skiff dismissed his men then he and Don walked over to where Cameron and Kailah were standing. Skiff was drenched in sweat as he pulled his helmet off and wiped his brow. Don was grinning from ear to ear.

“What ya’ think?” Don asked pulling off his helmet still grinning.

“I think someone needs to be a little more serious during practice,” Cameron smirked, “You were lagging behind, Don.”

The grin vanished from Don’s face, “Was not!”

“Told you,” Skiff said speaking softly as he eyed the crowds.

While Don sputtered a defense Cameron looked around confused, “Where’s Maltoris? He sent us a note to report for volunteering.”

Skiff accepted the note scanning it quickly and flipping it over. He snorted when he read the short missive and handed it back with a shrug.

“No clue,” Skiff answered shoving his helmet back on, “but that makes two volunteers for my squad.”

He hiked a thumb over his shoulder and Cameron caught sight of silver metallic and orange hair under the squad’s tent. Furrowing his brow, Cameron wondered why Maltoris would volunteer both himself and Esma.

“Kailah!” Viska’s voice carried over to them from the tent followed by the young girl.

Cameron watched Kailah light up as Viska came skidding to a halt before them, brilliant smile plastered on her face. He also saw out the corner of his eye Don’s soft smile at the girl.

Kailah gave the girl a big hug, “Hey, Viska, my but you've grown since last I saw you.”

“Kai, you sound like my grandma,” Viska teased poking her in the ribs, “We’re not that different in age.”

Kailah chuckled, “True enough. So what are you doing here, should you be helping your mom?”

“I was delivering some stuff to Pa and stayed to watch for a minute,” Viska motioned over the tent where the squad members were gathered around a basket, “I got to do some shopping on the way home though.”

“I’ll come with,” Kailah offered, “Cameron you don’t need me here do you? And we need some groceries.”

Cameron shrugged nonchalantly, even though his heart sank slightly, “Nah, I’ll see you back at the apartment later, once I find out what I’m needed for.”

“Thanks, Cameron,” Kailah smiled brilliantly at him then stood on tip-toe and pecked him on the cheek, “I’ll see you later. Don’t work too hard.”

Cameron waved listlessly, one hand to the cheek she had kissed, as he watched her and Viska leave the arena. He didn’t hear Skiff talking to him until the captain poked him in the shoulder.

“Gantervez!”

Cameron jumped slightly at Maltoris’ voice echoing from the tent, snapping to attention automatically, “Sir!”

“Quite yer lollygagging and get over here,” Maltoris ordered, turning back into the tent without waiting to see if he had been obeyed.

Glancing one last time at Kailah’s retreating back Cameron followed Skiff and Don to the tent. He was startled out of his thoughts by Don’s low, serious tone, a phenomenon that always shocked him when it happened.

“Toren needs to pay more attention to his stance,” Don was saying to Skiff, “he tends to get lower when he’s in a pinch.”

Skiff nodded, “I know, I’ve already warned him. As well as Yorrie and Itsui.”

“Itsui still have an anger problem?” Cameron asked smirking.

Don rolled his eyes, “Those two chicks give a whole new meaning to woman’s wrath.”

Cameron nodded he could remember the hell those two sisters used to raise. They became much better behaved once Skiff had become captain. Glancing at the squad relaxing a few feet away Cameron noticed the two of interest.

Identical except the hairstyles, the long auburn haired dark green eyed sisters looked positively bored. Yorrie with her long hair braided down her back was picking her fingernails with her dagger. Itsui’s pigtails gave her a slightly innocent look that was shattered by the two long swords strapped to her back.

Cameron smirked the two of them had definitely grown since he was a member of the squad, flowering into womanhood. Noticing some rookies gawking at the gorgeous twins across the way, Cameron watched as Yorrie flipped the dagger in the air then threw it seemingly effortlessly to the left without looking. The dagger buried itself almost to the hilt in a flag pole next to the rookies. Cameron laughed to himself as the rookies’ enrapture turned to horror and they beat a hasty retreat. 

Kanton snapped at Yorrie who sighed and got up to retrieve her dagger. She glared at the tanned skin southerner as she sat back down. He rolled his crimson eyes and ran a hand through his short black hair.

The fair haired lieutenant Philian smiled gently at the two of them and said something. A look of dread crossed both their faces. Cameron watched in fascination as they apologized to each other. Shaking his head he ducked into the tent where Maltoris stood smoking his pipe in the center.

Skiff, Don, and Cameron saluted simultaneously, and rather smartly Cameron thought. Maltoris returned the salute and went back to the papers on the table in front of him.

“Gantervez,” he mused slowly without lifting his eyes, “why are you not in uniform?”

Cameron glanced at Skiff, “I wasn’t aware that I needed to be in uniform, Sir.”

Maltoris looked at Cameron over his half-moon spectacles, pipe clenched in teeth, paper in each hand, “Why the bloody Emperor’s throne wouldn't you? I summoned you to help with the tournament preparations. At least you had the brains to bring your sword.”

“Yes, sir,” Cameron tried not to smile, “How am I to help exactly, Maltoris?”

“Captain Warithorn,” Maltoris motioned to Skiff.

Skiff nodded and turned to Cameron, “The squad needs to learn the difference between normal fights and fights against Joined Swords. I asked Maltoris if it would be alright to borrow you and Esma, along with any other Swords.”

“Ah,” Cameron nodded slowly, “that makes sense, I suppose, they’ve probably only fought rogue or Choas Swords up to this point. So much for a week’s leave.”

“Precisely,” Maltoris took the pipe out of his mouth, “now that that is understood, get to work.”

 

Kailah and Viska strolled away slowly from the colossus of the stadium. Rounding the corner the sweet smells of the Market Quarter drifted on the breeze. Kailah could see Viska stealing glances at her out the corner of her eye, like she had something she wanted to ask.

“Out with it,” Kailah stated flately stopping on the side of the street so people could pass them, “You’re going to explode or drill a hole in the side of my head, what is it?”

Viska opened her mouth but shut it quickly blushing scarlet. Kailah waited patiently for the young girl to hunt down her courage, watching passer-bys on the street. A swallow flitted through the crowd chasing a dragonfly. She watched the bird’s dives and banks, coming within scant centimeters of the elusive bug, but to only be evaded. She smirked; the swallow’s struggle was like unto her and Cameron’s relationship, close yet so far, if only he would just come out and say one way or the othe-

“Are you in love with Cameron?”

Startled out of her thoughts Kailah jerked her head to face Viska’s wide blue eyes and burnt red blushed cheeks.

She blinked in confusion, “Where did that come from?”

“Well,” Viska swallowed, twisting her fingers, “its just that I’ve seen the way you look at him when you think he isn’t looking and I was just wondering, um if it isn’t too impertinent of me Miss Kailah, but what-um-how do you know when you’re in love?”

Kailah stared into those blue eyes, almost positive her’s were red pools of confusion. The young girl waited with baited breath for her to gather her thoughts. It was true she felt something more than friendship for her Sword, his recent loss of trust in her and the ensuing despair that loss brought about in her was evidence enough. Still, she honestly couldn’t answer this young girl’s question.

Kailah pursed her lips, “Well I-“

A scream of horror made both of them jump. The first was soon joined by more, increasing in intensity and panic. When she saw what was in the direction of where the screams were coming from, all blood drained from Kailah’s face. A portal black as a moonless night, swirled twenty feet above the cobblestones. With a sickening squelch, something dropped from the portal.  

“What is that?” Viska began backing away, her base instincts urging her to run.

Kailah didn’t answer, her breathing was picking up pace getting closer to hyperventilation speed. Memories flashed across her vision dragging her back to the night she had lost everyone she had ever known in a matter of minutes. The thing untangled intself from its graceless impact with the earth and stood to its full height. Shaking out its coarse hair and unfurling its tentacles the Beast opened its mouth and roared. Rows upon rows of fangs dripped green slime. As they watched in horror, more began to fall from the portal.

“It’s a Beast attack!” A man screamed running toward Kailah and Viska. The man knocked into Kailah and she stumbled sideways without reaction. A Beast saw him and shot out two tentacles. The man was pulled back screaming to the Beast’s mouth. There was a sickening crunch and the man’s scream died along with him. Those people in-tune with their survival insticts hightailed it in every direction.

“Kailah!” Viska shouted her name shaking her arm, “We have to-AH!”

Viska screamed as a tentacle wrapped around her foot and pulled. Kailah snapped back to reality and grabbed Viska’s arm.

“Don’t let go!” Viska cried, tears streaming down her face.

The Beast, that the tentacle came from, growled and pulled harder. Kailah slid a few inches but didn’t let go.

“No!” Kailah cried as she picked up her right foot and stomped.

A spike of earth shot up under the Beast stabbing it. It cried in surprise and pain causing the tentacle to let go. Kailah hauled Viska to her feet and the two of them ran.



© 2015 Dreamer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on April 28, 2015
Last Updated on May 3, 2015


Author

Dreamer
Dreamer

LA



About
I'm just a simple country girl who likes to write the (what I find cool) stories I daydream up in my head. I also have a deviantart account at http://khiramae.deviantart.com/ don't have a whole lot .. more..

Writing
Prolog Prolog

A Chapter by Dreamer


Death Death

A Book by Dreamer


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Dreamer