Chapter 31

Chapter 31

A Chapter by Dreamer

Chapter 31

 

Hot potato personalities…

 

Cameron rubbed his face with his hands as Kailah droned on and on…and on. He just tuned her out, sure she was telling him that he had done everything wrong, he never followed her instructions and what not.

After Cameron had introduced Kailah’s earth personality Don had gone over and sat next to Viska. Glancing over at him, Cameron saw that he was still staring at her face and chewing on his thumbnail while he waited for her to wake up.

“Where am I?” Kailah stopped mid-rant, “Cameron, what happened?”

“Finally!” Cameron sighed exasperated, “You passed out and Agate decided to grace us with her oh so superior presence.”

“Sorry about that,” Kailah grimaced as she lay back on the cot holding her head, “How’s Viska? “

“Resting,” Cameron answered looking back over. The cots were spaced about fifteen feet apart, “The healer said she’d be out for a good while but not to worry.”

“It’s amazing,” Kailah murmured, “I’d of never thought Don to be one to get worried.”

Cameron snorted, “He’s always been that way with Viska.”

“When is he going to figure it out that he’s in love with her?” Kailah sighed in mock exasperation.

“Oh probably when Viska beats him upside the head with it,” Cameron predicted laughing.

“What’s the situation with the Beast attack?” Kailah asked her face turning serious.

Multiple explosions could be heard off in the distance and Cameron glanced out the entrance. The fires of the different battles were reflecting off the cloudy sky, mixing with the burning colors of the setting sun.

“From the explosions it sounds like the battles are getting less numerous,” Cameron replied turning back to her, “but whether that means we’re winning or not, I can’t say.”

“We’d better get out there too then,” Kailah grunted as she tried to pull herself out of the cot.

“Hold your horses,” Cameron cried standing up and putting a hand on her shoulder, “I think you need some different clothes before we go. Can’t really fight with no shoes or clothes.”

Kailah realized that she was not in her original green dress but only in her undergarments. Cameron laughed as Kailah blushed bright red.

“Wait here I’ll be right back with some clothes for you,” Cameron said as he headed out the entrance. He nodded at Don as he passed. Don didn’t look up. Shaking his head at Don’s haggard expression, Cameron ducked out the entrance. He chewed on his bottom lip for a moment in thought then headed toward the left. A couple of doors down from the clinic was a tailor shop. The door was locked so Cameron picked it.

Once inside he glanced around trying to find something that would fit his Caster but still have maneuverability. He was sure the next few hours were going to be hell on them both.

“Well howdy, handsome,” A voice from the shadows nearly made him jump out of his sking, “Can I help you?”

Cameron spun around to see a lady with a weathered face, puffing on a pipe and giving him an appraising look.

“Oh,” Cameron swallowd his heart back to its proper place, “sorry, I didn’t know if you were open.”

The lady puffed out a smoke ring, “So ye decided to pick me lock?”

Cameron opened his mouth to reply but the look in her eyes made him think better of it and he shut his mouth with a snap. She rolled her eyes as he blushed.

“I haven’t got all day, sweetheart,” She growled, “Wadya want?”

 “I need clothes for my Caster,” Cameron decided the truth was his best defense, “She got hurt and the nurses next door ruined her clothes when they healed her. So she’s down to her skivvies and can’t very well save the city in the all together.”

The lady leveled a look at him that sharply mirrored the looks the nuns used to give him at the orphanage. Nevertheless he stood his ground, if worse came to worse he could requisition clothes in the name of civil defense, but he got the feeling he would rather not have this little old lady as his enemy.

“What’s ‘er size?” The lady asked clenching the pipe between her teeth, “D’ya need shoes?”

Cameron nodded, “Yes ma’am, she’s about five, five. Medium build. Um, average sized feet, I think.”

The lady glanced back at him, “You’ve never bought ‘er close before have ya.”

Before he could answer, Cameron was handed a small bundle of clothes and a pair of boots that looked about Kailah’s size.

“Thank you,” He nodded in gratitude and headed for the door.

The lady followed him, “Next time, Sword, try knocking first.”

“Yes ma’am,” He blushed then ducked out into the rain heading for the clinic.

The lady puffed on her pipe as she locked the door back. Turning away from the window she missed the shadow detatch itself from the wall across the way and trail after Cameron.

 

Cameron stepped back inside the clinic just as the rain picked up. Shaking his head he tried to get most of the water off. Viska was still asleep and as Cameron passed he realized so was Don. He tried to be quiet as he passed so that his friend could rest. Kailah smiled at him as he came to the side of the cot.

“He passed out soon after you left,” Kailah said softly, “Now, hand me that so I can get dressed.”

Cameron chuckled as he handed her the clothes. Kailah swung her legs off the cot clutching the blanket around her shoulders. She went to stand up and stumbled. Cameron caught her, but her legs wouldn’t support her and she plopped back onto the cot. Cameron bent down and scooped her into his arms.

“What’re you doing?” Kailah squeaked.

“Well,” Cameron said dodging around a nurse as he headed for the back of the room where a small changing area was set up, “You can’t stand at the moment and I’m sure you don’t want me to help you get dressed out in the open.”

“I don’t want you to help period,” Kailah cried indignantly as Cameron moved the curtain aside with his elbow and ducked in.

“Chill out,” Cameron sighed putting her legs down but supporting her by the shoulders, “I’ve helped you get dressed loads of times.”

Kailah elbowed him in the gut, “That was lacing, this is totally different.”

“You have any other ideas?” Cameron asked laughing.

“Yeah! You can go get the nurse to help me,” Kailah ordered looking him in the eye.

Cameron sighed, “Fine, wait here.”

Setting her gently on the ground he left and flagged down one of the nurses. He asked her to help his Caster get dressed and then waited outside of the curtained off area for Kailah to call him back in.

She leaned on his shoulder and together the two of them set out toward the front of the tent. Kailah was wearing a loose fitting grey shirt and black pants. The boots the woman had given Cameron fit her perfectly.

As they passed Don he woke up, “Hey, where you two headed?”

“Out to help fight,” Kailah said leaning around Cameron; she was starting to get the strength in her legs back.

“I’ll go with you,” Don offered standing up.

“No,” Cameron refused, “You stay here with Viska till she wakes up.”

Don nodded as he sat back down. He sighed and rubbed his face in exhaustion. Cameron smiled at him as they walked out into the rain.

 

By the time Cameron and Kailah made it a couple of streets over, she was able to walk on her own. Healer Casting used the energy from the recipient to heal their own wounds at a faster rate. The energy drainage made the patient weak for a time afterwards depending on the amount healed.

“Where to?” Kailah asked listening to the echoing sounds of battle around them.

“Well,” Cameron pursed his lips in thought, glancing up and down the street, “Standard procedure is to rendezvous at the Compound to receive orders in the event of an attack. So, that’s what we’re going to do.”

Kailah shrugged as she headed off after Cameron. The going was slow due to the flow of civilians heading for the safety of the Compound. Soldiers were guarding the route, some of them showing signs of having been in battle. Despite the heavy downpour, fire still reflected off the black clouds, giving the world a hellish ambience.

Cameron sighed in relief when they made it to the entrance of the Compound. The civilians were directed toward the main building, where they would be sheltered in the catacombs beneath. A command tent was set up in the courtyard, Cameron motioned to it and he and Kailah pushed through the throng of people toward it.

“Ah, Gantervez and Malavander,” Maltoris called catching sight of them as they approached. Maltoris was leaning over a table with a map of the city on it inside the tent, ever present pipe lit and puffing.

Cameron wiped the excess water from his hair, “What’s the situation, sir?”

“A right bloody mess is what,” Maltoris sighed, “The rifts have closed but we’re still unsure of the number of Beasts there are. We’ve only got twenty-seven Pairs in the city at the moment. We’ve sent messages to those within range outside of the city but none have arrived yet.”

“Where do you need us?” Kailah asked looking at the map; it had a lot of crossed out sections of the city. She looked to where Skiff and Morsha’s house was and saw it was in a safe zone.

“I need you both here,” Maltoris pointed to the south eastern corner of the map, “There was a rift reported in the vicinity. That section will be yours to patrol, I’ll be sending a couple of squads with you to evacuate any civilians.”

Cameron nodded as he found a route on the map to take, “Which squads, sir?”

“Pargle’s and Gashton’s,” Maltoris answered, “I don’t need to tell you to hurry.”

Cameron saluted the two captains as they came up to stand on his left. He saluted Maltoris then turned and headed out of the tent. Kailah followed behind her Sword into storm.

 

The Beast screamed as it froze over. Cameron hit it with his sword and it shattered. So far they had encountered four Beasts on route to their section. Kailah leaned back against a wall, her hands on her knees, breathing hard. He wished they could rest, but Beasts waited for no one.

“How are you doing?” Cameron asked walking back to her and sheathing his sword. The rain continued its vendetta against the city, determined to soak every nook and cranny. Cameron shivered; the rain certainly didn’t help the temperature.

“Saving civilians is hindering our mission,” Kailah replied as cold as the temperature, “We need a new strategy.”

“Well, Snowflake, we can’t leave them to die,” Cameron sighed.

Kailah stared at him without emotion as he started back on the way to their destination. Miraculously they still had all the soldiers minus the ones that were sent back with civilians they had encountered. So far they had rescued fourteen civilians, four dogs, two cats, and one pig.

The soldiers gave Kailah a wide berth as she fell into step behind him. Cameron tried to ignore Kailah as much as possible when she was in her Aqua personality. During these times she was a downright bi-

The explosion knocked him sideways into a brick wall. Dazed he got to his feet as another Beast clawed its way out of the ground. Cameron sighed in aggravation as he pushed himself off the wall, drawing his sword in the process.

The Beast roared as it caught sight of them. Cameron roared back at it as he ran in blade swinging. He had to give the soldiers credit, maybe he had their youth to thank, but none of them failed to be right next to him in the attack.

Cameron felt the air around him tingle as Kailah charged the atmosphere. Cameron dodged a tentacle with a spin and saw Kailah standing back with her arms held out before her fingers spread pointing at the Beast.

“Break!” Cameron cried and ran away from the Beast along with the rest of the soldiers. They dove to the ground just as a giant bolt of lightning hit the Beast. Cameron covered his head as more bolts hit the Beast in rapid succession. Glancing through his arms he saw Kailah grinning like a maniac as she hurled bolt after bolt.

After the bolts of lightning stopped flying and the Beast was a sizzling pile of charred meat, Cameron climbed slowly to his feet. Some of the soldiers were puking from the putrid smell. He patted one young soldier on the back as he passed him. The soldier nodded at him then turned back to emptying his gut.

“Come on, Kai, let’s go,” Cameron walked by his Caster who was studying her fingernails in a bored fashion.

Kailah replied not even looking at him, “No.”

Cameron rolled his eyes and buried his face in his hands, “This has to stop. Pick a personality already, geez!”

Rubbing his face, Cameron peered at Kailah through his fingers. Normally she didn’t flip flop between personalities this much. Cameron guessed the fatigue was having a field day with her control. Swallowing his annoyance as much as his tired mind would let him he ran his hand through his hair, pulling the wet locks out of his eyes.

“Come on, Skippy,” Cameron said grabbing her by the wrist and continuing toward their destination.

“I can walk by myself, Cammy,” Kailah complained trying to pull her hand free, “I’m not a child.”

“Says yo-“ Cameron stopped mid-sentence. He turned back to see her puff up her cheeks in annoyance. For a split second he could have sworn he was talking to Shaliah. He chuckled softly as he rubbed his tired eyes.

“Oh,” Kailah’s soft surprised voice made him look up, “When did that happen?”

Cameron smiled tiredly at her, “Welcome back, Kai.”

Kailah returned the smile then puffed up her cheeks and blew out a slow, tired breath. The soldiers gathered near them, some still looking a little green, waiting for them to start moving again. Cameron was sure he and his Caster looked about as well as they did.

“How far away are we?” Kailah asked turning back to Cameron.

“Not far. But then we get to patrol it,” Cameron sighed, “Alright, move out.”

Captain Pargle signaled his men and took point. Cameron and Kailah followed after them and Captain Gashton’s squad took up the rear guard. As they neared their section the air took on an eerie feel and Cameron felt like he was being watched.

He could tell the rest of the soldiers felt it was well. A brick fell off a broken wall clattering to the ground and causing quite a few of the soldiers to draw their weapons.

“Calm down men,” Pargle’s strong deep voice soothed his men, “It’s just a brick.”

Cameron couldn’t blame the soldiers for their tenseness. He could still feel a presence that didn’t belong there. Pargle held up his hand for the group to come to a halt. He signaled for Cameron to come to him as he knelt down next to a wall.

“What’s up, Captain?” Cameron asked softly, something in the air called for whispers and stealth.

“Something is off, Gantervez,” Pargle replied staring into the gloom. Night had fallen some time ago, and the rain didn’t seem intent on letting up anytime soon. The only light they had was the odd sputtering torch or two along the streets. Cameron stared out into the square trying to pierce the darkness with his eyes.

Pargle and the rest of the soldiers glanced back at Kailah when she sucked in a breath. She gripped her stomach and fell to the ground on her knees.

“Crap,” Cameron whispered clutching his head, “You men withdraw, immediately!”

“What’s-“ Pargle started to ask then stopped when Kailah ran in front of them.

She picked up her right foot and stomped it down sideways in front of her. She shifted her stance and did a scooping motion with her hands out in front of her and a giant wall of earth shot up. As soon as it went up something massive hit it on the other side.

“It’s a Chaos!” Cameron screamed over his shoulder as he ran and intercepted the Chaos Sword that was aiming for his Caster. Cameron shoved the Chaos Sword away. A soldier tried to help by attacking the Chaos Sword from behind but was killed instantly.

“Get out of here!” Cameron yelled at the other soldiers, “Go tell Maltoris we have a Chaos.”

Both the captains saluted and ordered their men off. Cameron watched them leave out of the corner of his eye. The Chaos Sword didn’t even glance in their direction. The wall of earth crumbled as Kailah shifted elements.

His concentration was pulled solely to his fight as the enemy Sword attacked. He used some kind of bladed weapon that curved back along his forearms. Cameron blocked the attack of one then had to jump back to avoid the second.

As he tripped and rolled back into a defensive stance he realized his stomach hurt. Glancing down he saw a red stain appearing where the enemy had made contact. The Chaos grinned maniacally at him and as the rain poured down even harder Cameron realized this was going to be a tough fight.


 



© 2015 Dreamer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

144 Views
Added on May 3, 2015
Last Updated on May 3, 2015


Author

Dreamer
Dreamer

LA



About
I'm just a simple country girl who likes to write the (what I find cool) stories I daydream up in my head. I also have a deviantart account at http://khiramae.deviantart.com/ don't have a whole lot .. more..

Writing
Prolog Prolog

A Chapter by Dreamer


Death Death

A Book by Dreamer


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Dreamer