Chapter 25

Chapter 25

A Chapter by Dreamer

Chapter 25

 

Battle of personalities…

 

 

Silence reigned in the tower room, as the Kailahs stared each other down and the spectators became more confused by the minute. Cameron watched the fire and air Kailahs closely, given their personality traits it was a toss-up between the two which would attack first.

“This reminds me of our training sessions all those months ago,” the fire Kailah purred sultrily, “good times, don’t you agree Cameron?”

Cameron winced at remembered pain as she licked her lips, “Sure, Princess, fun times.”

“Cameron,” Princess pouted, “please don’t act like you aren’t happy to see us.”

“Oh, I’m thrilled to see y’all, I see you brought the whole gang,” Cameron replied, sarcastically, his eyes flicking from one to the next.

Princess curled her sultry lips in slight distaste, “Unfortunately, yes. Agate and Snowflake demanded to tag along, and you know how Skippy is when you tell her ‘no’.”

The Earth and Water Kailahs glanced at Princess momentarily, while she smiled pleasantly at Cameron. He knew she was up to something, Princess always managed to ruin his day when she came out.

Agate suddenly knelt and shoved her hands into the floor. Stone hands erupted at Cameron’s feet reaching for his ankles. Simultaneously, as the hands tried to grab onto him the other three Kailahs shot their respective elemental bolts.  Princess had aimed for Don and Skiff, Skippy shot for Cameron and Kailah, and Snowflake aimed for Esma and Chelry.

Cameron jumped out of the reach of the hands landing slightly behind Kailah as she switched to air and redirected the bolt of lightning harmlessly out a window. Agate grunted in aggravation as she pulled her hands from the floor and stood glaring at them. Skippy laughed and shot another bolt, accidently shocking Agate in her eagerness. Agate didn’t feel any pain, having turned the part of her that was hit by the lightning to stone, creating a path down her body to the floor where the shock grounded harmlessly at her feet. Still grinning maniacally, Sippy shot the bolt at them.

Don and Skiff ducked behind their shields as Princess shot fire ball after fireball at them. She started laughing maliciously, the red glow in her eyes becoming brighter and brighter with each shot. She stopped her attacks for long enough to make a giant fireball and shot it at the two Swords.

“Crap,” Don muttered then both he and Skiff dove in opposite directions, dodging the initial fireball but being showered by burning embers as it exploded upon impact. Skiff immediately charged for Princess, ignoring an ember that had caught his right sleeve on fire, and swung for her neck. Her smile unwavering, fire erupted in a circle around Princess causing Skiff to pull up short or risk becoming barbeque. He cursed ducking behind his shield trying to ease the heat from the flames. The flames intensified as the circle expanded outward. Skiff and Don could do nothing but retreat as the fire inched closer. Princess’ gin spread wider as both of them backed into the wall, nowhere left to retreat.

 Ice raced across the floor straight for Esma’s feet where she had landed after she had successfully dodged the ice spear. She jumped and rolled out of the encircling ice picked up a rock and hurled it at Snowflake. Esma had aimed for her right foot which she moved to keep from being hit, effectively breaking her connection to the ice. Esma ran towards her, wand wielded improperly, diving for her unprotected chest. Snowflake didn’t flinch, showing no emotion as Esma descended on her.

“Esma, no!” Cameron called out to her, fearful of what would happen to the real Kailah if one of her personalities was slain.

His fear was unfounded; Snowflake froze her forearm using it to harmlessly deflect Esma’s attack. She then retaliated, creating an ice spike at the end of her other arm, striking at Esma. Esma blocked the attack, ducking under Snowflake’s arm, stabbing toward her stomach. A wall of earth shot up between the two combatants causing them to stumble backwards, then another to Esma’s right. As a third and fourth erupted behind and to her left, Esma charged forward, leapt and kicked off the first wall. Using her momentum and elvish agility, she kicked off the second wall and dove over the top of the first just before the four walls connected together.

She was knocked out of the air by a wave of water, rolling to a stop she started forward but found herself unable to move. Esma glared as the ice crept up her arms and legs, freezing her more solidly to the ground. Snowflake’s face was impassive as she poured more energy into the ice making it grow faster. Just as the ice completely enveloped Esma fire erupted around her, the heat so intense Cameron felt it twenty feet away.

“Esma!” Chelry’s bellowing cry echoed around the room.

The fire dissipated almost as quickly as it had sparked to life leaving a slightly confused Esma kneeling on the ground, unharmed. Snowflake glared at Kailah, for the first time showing any emotion.

Without hesitation, Kailah slammed her right foot into the ground, creating a pillar of earth that knocked Snowflake off her feet. Quickly switching elements Kailah froze Agate in place before she could retaliate. Switching again, she caught a bolt of lightning and shot it back at Skippy, who was not expecting the quick turnaround. The bolt struck her in the chest, knocking her to the ground. With a curse she tried to get back to her feet but her hand sunk into the ground.

Once Skippy was sunk far enough into the floor Kailah caused it to solidify back into normal stone. She ignored Skippy’s ranting as she turned her magic on Snowflake, manipulating the floor to trap her like Skippy.

“Look out!” Cameron shouted jumping into the path of a fireball Princess had shot at Kailah.

He used the reserves of energy he had pulled from Skippy to ice his sword. He swung the sword upward into the fireball as it bore down on him. The steam from the melting ice created enough pressure to deflect the fireball up enough to sail over their heads, still close enough to singe a few hairs though. Kailah switched to fire and punched toward Princess, shooting a fireball at her. The fireball hit her in the chest knocking her to the ground and disrupting her connection. The fire-walls bearing down on Skiff and Don immediately dissipated.

Kailah immediately trapped Princess the same way as Skippy and Snowflake. Within the span of a breath silence reigned in the tower room, barring Skippy’s and now Princess’ cursing. Skiff and Don gave Princess a wide berth as the both of them joined the rest of the group next to Kailah.

Cameron caught Kailah as she wobbled and started to fall. Slowly he lowered her to the ground, kneeling next to her with her leaning on his shoulder.

“Will someone explain what’s going on?” Don asked perturbed, “Why are there five Kailahs?”

Kailah chuckled as Cameron shrugged, “She’s got multiple personalities, it’s a condition all Element Casters suffer from to varying degrees.”

“Not what I meant,” Don waved his hand then thought for a second, “Though that explains a lot about Jamersan the water Caster. What I meant was-“

“Why were your personalities trying to bring about our demise?” Esma cut in, speaking calmly with no hint of animosity in her voice.

Don snapped his fingers and pointed both fingers at Esma, “Yeah that.”

Kailah closed her eyes and swallowed hard, like she was nauseous, “Not long after Shaliah brought me in here, Opius popped in muttered something along the lines of ‘morons with no appreciation for the theatric arts’ snapped his fingers at me and there were four me, each one a copy of my latent personalities.”

Cameron put a hand to her forehead when she paused, she was burning with fever. Switch Casting took a lot of energy. She smiled softly at Cameron then continued, “Shaliah was pissed, she started shouting at Opius about unfair advantages, he snapped back at her and zapped me, Princess, Agate, and Snowflake. I wound up in some corridor with Princess. She started attacking me, then Agate came crashing through the wall attacking us both, and when Snowflake rounded the corner I created an explosion and ran for it. I found my way back here, somehow.”

 Chelry noted her condition and knelt down next to them. He picked up her right arm and took her pulse. Kailah watched him through half-lowered eyelids, breathing slowly.

“Chelriman?” Esma asked softly as the gentle giant placed Kailah’s hand carefully back down.

He stood with a grunt, “Just exhaustion, I’d recommend a full day’s bed rest and absolute spoiling, but unfortunately I don’t think it will happen.”

Kailah chuckled softly, “No, probably not.”

“So what are w-“ Don was knocked sideways about twenty feet by a shadow tentacle. Before the others could react they were all struck. One wrapped itself around Kailah and yanked her from Cameron’s arms as he was knocked away.

“He’s mine!” Shaliah screamed in rage, dragging Kailah across the stone floor by her legs.

Shaliah’s hair was disheveled, making her look deranged. The murderous, glassy eyed glare didn’t help either. Cameron jumped to his feet, instantly charging for Shaliah. The others were right beside him. Shaliah saw them coming and started attacking with her shadow tentacles. Skiff was caught around the ankle and hoisted into the air, before he could slice free another tentacle knocked his sword from his hand. He grunted in pain as the two tentacles tried to pull his arm off. Don came to his aid, slicing the tentacle that had his captain by the arm. When he sliced it completely off, three more grew from the stump catching him as well.

Chelry swung his giant battle ax back and forth, chopping any tentacle that came within reach, unfortunately however many he chopped twice that many took their place. Esma used her agility and strength to her advantage. Jumping and diving over attacking tentacles, she had ditched the wand and was using hand-to-hand combat to deflect and dodge. Shaliah hissed in aggravation and the next tentacle Esma deflected grew smaller tendrils and latched onto her forearm. Three more converged on her before she could pull free.

 Cameron dodged to the left as a tentacle snaked straight for his head, moving so fast there was a crack as it whipped back. He dove over the next one, rolling back to his feet, not breaking his momentum. As he drew closer, Shaliah screeched in anger, attacking with two tentacles. They came for his head in a horizontal attack. Cameron raised his sword and went down on his knees drawing on Snowflake he created a patch of ice before him. He slid under the tentacles and sliced them apart where they intersected. Jumping up to his feet he lunged at Shaliah, his sword pulled back ready to skewer her.

“Stop!” Shaliah screamed as she pulled a knife and held it to Kailah’s upside down throat, “Stop or she’s dead!”

Cameron pulled up short, mere feet from her, “I warned you, Shaliah. Let her go.”

His voice was ice, no sympathy left for his dearly departed Caster. Slowly he began drawing energy from Skippy. Shaliah glared at him defiantly, pressing the knife into Kailah’s tan skin.

“What is she to you?” Shaliah demanded, “I’M your Caster! Not her!”

Cameron shook his head, “Not anymore, Shaliah.”

“I’m a part of you, Cammy, you can’t deny that,” Shaliah’s voice dropped to a whisper as tears gathered in her eyes.

“I’m not denying it,” Cameron agreed, “but you are only a figment that Opius pulled from the depths of my mind, Shaliah, you are not real.”

He stressed the last four words and with each one spoken Shaliah became even angrier. Her breathing quickened.

“You’re mine,” Shaliah growled, “What’s it gonna take for you to realize the mistake you made? Are your standards so low now that’d you Join with this tramp and a traitor at that?”

“Oh, thank you!” Kailah sneered, “At least I’m not a puppet wielding maniac from beyond the grave.”

“SILENCE!”

Everyone cringed as her screech hitting octaves that Cameron was positive busted his ear drums, echoed around the cavern. The other four watched this Pair dispute in stunned silence.

“Let her go, Shaliah,” Cameron ordered, neither advancing nor retreating.

Shaliah sneered, “Is it the eyes?” She pressed the knife into Kailah’s cheek under her right eye, “Are those, what do it for you? Or is it something else on this pretty face, the lips, nose, what?”

Kailah wearily watched the knife point hover centimeters around her face, trying to lean away from it. She glanced at Cameron he was also watching the knife.

“I’m not going to tell you again, Shaliah,” Cameron’s voice, if possible, took on an even icier edge.

Shaliah removed the knife from Kailah’s face, returning her attention to Cameron. Her lips curled into a sneer as she repositioned her “grip” on Kailah. Kailah was no longer hanging upside down but was still encircled by tentacles and drawn close to Shaliah. Cameron started to move forward but stopped as the knife was once again positioned at Kailah’s throat.

“Cammy, Cammy, Cammy,” Shaliah shook her head sadly, “I’m trying to save you, can’t you see that? Would you deny the evidence presented to you, she betrayed you.”

Cameron narrowed his eyes, “What are you on about now, Shaliah?”

“Think about it, Cameron,” Shaliah insisted, “mere hours after you arrived, a Chaos Pair attacked, Central Tower of all places, what are the odds of that?”

“Slim,” Esma stated matter-of-factly when Cameron didn’t answer.

Cameron shrugged, “If you’re making the point I think you’re making, it’s pointless.”

“What pointless point is she trying to point out?” Don asked from where he still hung suspended by his wrist, Skiff groaned and rolled his eyes.

“That I’m somehow in league with the Chaos, she was badgering me about that too before Opius popped in. No idea where that came from,” Kailah grumbled.

Shaliah laughed, “Guess, tramp, if I’m a figment of Cameron’s mind, where then do you think I get it from?”

Everyone was silent as what Shaliah said sunk in. The look of hurt Kailah turned on Cameron was enough to break his heart.

“Oh, dearie me,” Shaliah whispered nastily, “Cammy, darling, and from whom do you think I got the info I showed you?”

Kailah and Cameron studied each other, both not knowing what to believe or even think at this point. Shaliah’s gloating was interrupted by a scream of horrid pain. The sound drew everyone’s attention. Standing next to the exploded corpse of Snowflake, Surkaust smiled benevolently at them all, blood pooling at his feet.

Before anyone could react, Surkaust shimmered and was standing next to Shaliah. She stared up at him in horror. He gently put his hand on her throat and she silently fell to the ground, bleeding from her eyeballs. When she died all her shadow tentacles dispersed. Skiff and Don crashed to the floor. In a blur Surkaust was on them. Skiff tried to block his attack with his shield, but Surkaust used his casting to take control of Skiff and Don’s body. Regardless of their efforts, their muscles straining against the control, the two of them stabbed the other in the heart. Surkaust released control of them as they too fell to the floor dead.

“No!” Cameron screamed, rushing toward the Blood Caster. Kailah stared frozen in horror, her duplicates all dead, splayed across the floor like crimson confetti.

Surkaust flicked his eyes in Cameron’s direction and he felt his muscles freeze. Surkaust’s concentration was disrupted by Esma’s attack, which he dodged then turned his attention to her. Not wasting any time, he simply snapped his fingers and her heart exploded from her chest. Esma’s blood blossomed out from between her breast like a rose and for the first time, emotion registered on her face. It was disbelief with a small hint of dread.

Chelry charged with a roar so full of rage and grief it shook the rafters as Esma fell. Surkaust watched with disinterest as Chelry bore down on him. His eyes turned black and Chelry slowed to a standstill. Cameron watched as the gentle giant seemed to have a seizure, his limps locked-up, he began to twitch, and all too soon he fell over dead.

Cameron gazed dumbly around the room. The massacre had taken less than a minute. He snapped back into his senses as Surkaust approached Kailah purposefully. She saw him coming and started scrambling backward across the floor, pleading. Anger surged hotly through Cameron’s veins and using the energy he had gathered from Skippy he shot a bolt of lightning at Surkaust’s unprotected back.

It struck true but Surkaust form merely shimmered then reformed. He glared back at Cameron, for the first time showing anything but the benevolent smile. He sighed then snapped his fingers, killing Kailah the same way he had Esma.

So shocked was he that Cameron couldn’t even get his mouth to form coherent words. All that came out was a gut wrenching moan. He watched as the life left Kailah’s eyes, the same ones not five minutes ago had looked into his with sorrow at his lack of trust. He wished fervently to take it back as he sank to his knees, tears freely streaming down his face. He didn’t even bother to defend himself as Surkaust approached.

Still staring at Kailah’s body he only half listened as Surkaust grunted, squatting down to Cameron’s level. Hard silver eyes stared at his profile merciless ears listened to his soul-searing sobs.

He leaned in close and whispered, “The Paradigm is mine.”

Cameron felt a horrible pain in his chest then a sea of red exploded in his vision. Surkaust didn’t laugh, cackle, nothing as Cameron fell. He should have hit the floor but he kept falling. As his grip on consciousness faded he saw the ground rushing up to meet him.  



© 2015 Dreamer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

281 Views
Added on March 13, 2015
Last Updated on March 13, 2015


Author

Dreamer
Dreamer

LA



About
I'm just a simple country girl who likes to write the (what I find cool) stories I daydream up in my head. I also have a deviantart account at http://khiramae.deviantart.com/ don't have a whole lot .. more..

Writing
Prolog Prolog

A Chapter by Dreamer


Death Death

A Book by Dreamer


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Dreamer