Chapter 10

Chapter 10

A Chapter by Dreamer

Chapter 10

 

Accidentally by design…

 

Cameron groaned as he rolled over, something prickly was digging into his back. His head was killing him and the floor was moving. Blearily opening one bloodshot eye he could barely make out another figure lying beside him.

“Kai?” He asked tentatively trying to keep the contents of his stomach down, “Kai, that you?”

His hands were tied behind his back so he nudged the figure with the toe of his boot. The figure stirred, from the mass of black hair a red iris eye glared in his direction. Cam inwardly sighed to himself that she was apparently unharmed and with him.

“What happened?” She asked rolling over to face him completely.

Still lying on their sides, Cameron shrugged, “Best guess, our drinks were drugged.”

“Two guesses as to who.” Kailah grumbled, “Then where are we?”

Before Cam could voice his opinion both of them were rocked forward as the apparent wagon grounded to a halt. The sound of someone jumping from the driver’s seat could be heard outside. Cameron followed the sound of crunching dust as the person came to a stop behind the wagon.

Daylight flooded into the small wagon as the person outside threw open the back doors. Cameron squinted against the sudden change in light trying to see who their kidnapper was. Rough hands grabbed Cameron by the shoulders and he was unceremoniously dumped out the back of the wagon. His legs still numb he couldn't work them well enough to stop his rather disgraceful fall to his backside.

“S’rry.” Came the gruff apology as the figure, a rather tall man, bent back into the wagon to grab Kailah.

Cam waited on edge, but the man was a lot more gentle with Kailah than he had been with Cameron. The man set Kailah gently to the ground in a sitting position next to Cameron.

It wasn't till she was sitting next to him that he realized her feet were tied as well. Whoever this man was he knew how to disable the threat of a Caster. This revelation about their captor worried Cameron.

"Who are you?" Cameron demanded.

Now that his eyes had adjusted to the midmorning sun, Cameron could make out details about their captor. He stood roughly 6' with a large barrel chest. Brown hair cropped short on his neck shaded hazel eyes that regarded the two of them with curiosity.

A straight nose and chiseled jaw gave the man a striking appearance. As Cameron and Kailah waited for his response the man sighed, scratching the stubble on his chin.

"Well, guess you oughta' know," the man's accent was thick as he drawled, " see'n how we're gonna be spend'n lots of time together here pretty soon."

"That's enough, Turrel."

Cameron cringed, recognizing Xerkieda's voice long before she rounded the edge of the wagon. Her form shimmered in the sunlight, a distinct characteristic of a thought projection.

"Couldn't come gloat in person?" Cameron asked as the image of Xerkieda stopped in front of them.

Folding her arms across her chest Xerkieda smirked, "What ever do you mean by that comment Ganvez?"

Cameron sighed while Kailah glared. The man named Turrel just watched the exchange with indifference.

"Where are we and what do you plan to do with us?" Kailah demanded.

Xerkieda clicked her tongue, "Oh, Kailah dear, I merely provided you transportation to your contract."

Cameron's stomach sank as he followed her pointing finger. Off in the distance to their left a purple haze hung low on the horizon. The air shimmered, distorted by the effects of the Chaos Zone. Kailah’s eyes narrowed trying to bring the zone into focus.

“Turrel here is on a mission to find a certain object for me.” Xerkieda beamed at the two of them, “Your mission is to escort him safely through the Chaos Zone and back to Central City.”

“What object?” Cameron strained against his bonds, “There’s nothing in Chaos Zones.”

Xerkieda shrugged, “Be that as it may, the information I have gathered points to the object being in this Zone.”

“You still didn’t answer what it was.” Kailah pointed out.

“You have your orders,” Xerkieda sneered, “make peace with them and fulfill the contract.”

Without further comment Xerkieda’s thought projection shimmered out of existence. Cameron cursed, kicking up some dirt. Turrel heaved a heavy sigh as he went back into the wagon. A few moments later he pulled out Cameron’s sword and two packs. Ignoring their glares he set his burden down and began to untie them. He started with Kailah, loosening her feet then her hands. As she rubbed feeling back into her wrist Turrel began to untie Cameron.

"So, what is this object we're supposed to help you find?" Kailah slowly got to her feet, dusting off her clothes.

Turrel shrugged, "Not important for you to know."

"Awe, not even a hint?" Cameron watched Kailah move back from Turrel.

As soon as his hands were free Cameron rolled away from Turrel. Kailah stomped her right foot out in front of her, shoving her hands forward at the same time. Nothing happened. Turrel clapped slowly a look of bored annoyance on his face. Kailah pursed get lips as she straightened back up.

"You're a Canceler aren't you?" She accused him folding her arms across her chest.

Slowly Turrel nodded, "Yep."

He popped his lips after the "p" then bent and grabbed one of the packs. Without further word he handed the pack to her and helped her strap it on. Cameron shook his head from where he still sat in the dirt, Xerkieda seemed to have won.

Sighing Cameron stood to his feet and graciously accepted his sword and pack from Turrel. He waited next to Kailah as Turrel dug his own pack out of the wagon. He paid the driver who had remained silent and invisible, sending him on his way.

Turrel threw his pack over his shoulder, "Well, daylight be wastin', get a move on."

Without a glance back he set off toward the Chaos Zone. Kailah and Cameron watched his slowly dwindling back. Glancing at each other they sighed in unison and trudged after him.

 

"We could knock him out."

"I don't think it'd work. Xerkieda went through the trouble of getting a Canceler, I think she'd have made plans to counter you as well."

"Sure he's rather on the imposing side, but if we clubbed him from behind..."

"I also have excellent hearing." Turrel didn't even turn around.

 "Apparently." Cameron mused.

They had been walking for about an hour now with Turrel still several yards in the lead. The closer the little band drew near to the Zone the more the landscape changed from lush to desolate. Not even bugs could be heard from the bushes.

"Have you ever been in a Zone before, Turrel?" Cameron asked the back of his head.

Turrel shrugged, "Nah, but don't matter though. Xerkieda gave me orders."

Cameron rolled his eyes, "You do know that the laws of physics are more like suggestions in Zones?"

Again he shrugged indifferently. Cameron grumbled something along the lines of "slow behemoth" but Kailah couldn't make it out for sure. She turned her attention to their destination, anxiousness starting to build in her stomach. What Cameron said about Chaos Zones not strictly following the laws of nature was true. Stories were rampant from survivors of expeditions, about floating boulders, shifting gravity, distorted space, people disappearing from time, and other horrors.

As they neared the edge of the Zone, monstrous howls could be heard echoing from the hills beyond. Kailah shivered in remembered horror at the sound.

"Wonderful." Cam sighed in revulsion.

Chaos Zones were the home of Beasts. The four footed, tentacled, bad tempered monstrosities were the favorite weapons of the Chaos. Over the past few decades the Chaos had somehow managed to discover how to make portals from Chaos Zones to any place they desired.

Cameron noticed Kailah shivering and put a protective arm around her shoulder. She smiled thankfully at him and steeled her nerves, taking heart from his presence. The three of them trudged onward toward their goal, and perhaps certain doom.

 

The guard yawned in the warm afternoon light. Starring out into the countryside only grass and the occasional bush starred back all the way to the tree line. Lazily he let his eyes sweep across the dark trees. The part of his brain actually doing its duty screamed at him to look again.

Out of the trees a solitary figure was running straight for the keep. The figure was shouting something the guard couldn’t make out. The guard motioned to another who had seen the figure too and come to stand next to him. As the two of them watched, monsters burst forth from the dark trees pouncing on the unfortunate soul.

The Beasts quickly devoured the figure turning their blood stained chops towards the keep. As the alarm was sounded the Soul Seeker stepped calmly from the tree line flanked by hundreds upon thousands of Beasts.

Calmly her blindfolded gaze swept across her forces lines. Each Beast snarled in anticipation. Smirking to herself she gently patted the one white Beast that followed behind her like a loyal soldier.

“Time’s up, Paradigm.” Holding her arm out before her she pointed at the keep, “Feast.”

 

Ducking down as low as he could, Cameron held his breath. Glancing to his right at Kailah ducked down against his side, she was shivering slightly. Turrel was on her other side, his stoic face strained with apprehension. Cameron raised himself just enough to peek over the edge of their hiding place, not five feet away stood a pack of Beasts. Slowly he lowered himself back down, being as quiet as possible.

By his estimates they had not been in the Zone for more than an hour, but already the "sun" had set and risen four times. Five minutes after they had entered, the pack of Beasts had picked up their sent, beginning a dangerous game of cat and mouse.

A Pair could take on a couple of Beast, if they did it carefully, but not seven. Cameron's mind raced searching for a way out. He silently cursed Xerkieda. He caught movement out of the corner of his eye, Turrel was waving to get his attention. Once Turrel saw he had it he began to motion a plan of action. From what Cameron understood of the plan, it was suicide. Shaking his head emphatically, Cameron tried to relay how bad Turrel's plan was. Turrel was about to argue when rocks from the overhang of their hiding place clattered to the ground.

All three of them stared at the massive serrated claws of the Beast that was standing on the outcrop of rock that they hid under. Growls echoed down to them as it shifted its weight, searching for their scent. No one breathed as they heard the Beast sniff the air and ground.

Cameron readied his sword, he calculated they'd last all of thirty seconds if it came to a fight. Kailah felt his body shift, glancing at his posture she gripped his arm. When he looked at her she pleaded with her eyes. He smiled, she'd already figured out he was readying himself to be the decoy. Cameron kissed her swiftly, startling her. Kailah let go of his arm in surprise. A smile flashed across his face and he was gone. Turrel grabbed her as Cameron rushed out from under the overhang running full tilt. Kailah struggled against Turrel's grip, her screams muffled by his hand across her mouth.

Cameron ran for all he was worth, all seven Beast were hot on his tail. He slid in the dirt ducking under one of them as it dove for where his head had been a second before. Cameron sliced in an arc slitting the Beast's stomach. Using his momentum he jumped back to his feet dodging to the right. The one screamed in pain and crashed to the ground its brothers jumping or running over it in their pursuit of Cameron. As he glanced back over his shoulder Cameron saw the injured one howl in fury, regaining its feet.

Another one shot its tentacles forward trying to snatch him up. Cameron turned and sliced off one tentacle and damaged the other. Black blood spewed forth from the severed appendage. Cameron jumped a boulder landing in a roll, his lungs were starting to burn.

The air in front of him shimmered, Cameron cursed as he ran up a small rise. He jumped off a four foot overhang and landed rolling again. He heard screams behind him, a few of the Beasts had gotten caught in the gravity well and were slowly being crushed. The others dodged around the anomaly continuing their chase.

Glancing back over his shoulder he could see Turrel taking Kailah in the opposite direction. Turning forward again he ground to a halt at the edge of a cliff. Glancing around wildly he searched for an escape. He realized there was none, heaving a sigh he turned to face the Beasts who had stopped a few feet away.

His breathing labored Cameron brought his sword to bare, "You're move."

One of the Beast lunged at him teeth and claws bared. Cameron side-stepped and the Beast went over the edge of the cliff, howling all the way down. The three remaining became more wary, their black eyes narrowing as Cameron faced them. He waited for them to make a move, the sun was once again rapidly sinking on the horizon. One of the Beast shot a tentacle at him, he went to slice it as he had before but this time the other two Beasts attacked with theirs. Cameron managed to defend against the first few attacks but was soon overwhelmed. He was knocked off his feet onto his back. Two of the Beasts had their tentacles wrapped around his arms, legs, and neck.

Cameron knew it was over as the last Beast approached him slowly, saliva dripping from its maw. He swallowed hard and shut his eyes waiting for the end. Suddenly he felt an intense heat. Opening his eyes there was a pillar of fire where the Beast had been a moment before. It screamed in agony as the flames licked at its scaly hide, blistering as they raced across its body. The Beast on Cameron's right let go its hold on his arm and leg. Just as it turned to face the new threat a pillar of earth shot from the ground and knocked the Beast off the cliff. The final Beast drug Cameron in front of itself as a shield. Cameron was able to bring his sword around with enough force to sever the remaining tentacles. The Beast screamed and stumbled a few feet away from him. Out of the clear sky a bolt of lightning crashed down onto the Beast.

As the dust and fire settled Cameron uncovered his head and slowly got to his feet. In the haze remaining from the heat of the fire Kailah slowly approached. Her red eyes flashed like the lightning, her black hair swirled around her in a dark halo.

"Boy am I gla-"

Kailah punched him in the jaw, "You, idiot!"

Cameron rubbed his jaw as Kailah shook her hand in pain, "Don't ever do something like that again."

Shaking her head in anger she stomped back the way they had come. Turrel flinched when she brushed past him, evidence of her fury dripping from a broken nose. The two of them watched her walk away both nursing their punishment.

"Dang." Turrel whistled low.

Cameron nodded slowly, "Understatement."



© 2013 Dreamer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh, now my attention is drawn to this chapter. With Cam and Kailah kidnapped by Xerxieda, I can almost hear the suspense tune. I liked how you involved the councilwoman into the plot, introducing her in one of the first chapter seems much less random now and it served its purpose. I have also a praise for you for explaining what are the Chaos Zones and what's the deal with the Beasts - it was really interesting.

However, what I liked the most, was the action - the chapter was full of it. There was a mission, kidnapping, fierce fight and even you managed to cram some "lovey-doveyness" into it. Compared to the previous version of your story, the new chapters are bombastic.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dreamer

10 Years Ago

she was originally going to be in the book more but i kind of wrote without her...if that makes any .. read more



Reviews

As a new draft of the chapter, I've found this one to be a great improvement Dreamer. As Gosia said, the mission, the kidnapping... I was wondering when Xerkieda would crop back into it. She did seem like a quite malevolent being last we saw her, and til' now she'd done nothing. Sorry I loved it when her hologram (thats basically what it was like) appeared and Cam said: "Couldn't come gloat in person?" Freaking Badass!
For the sakes of easy reading; I would advise you to Remove your later chapters for a while (for editing and everything) so that people will not get confused if they read this and then see things to do with Surkaust and Kailah on the floor of the house half-a-world away.
Great new chapter Dreamer! keep it up! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Oh, now my attention is drawn to this chapter. With Cam and Kailah kidnapped by Xerxieda, I can almost hear the suspense tune. I liked how you involved the councilwoman into the plot, introducing her in one of the first chapter seems much less random now and it served its purpose. I have also a praise for you for explaining what are the Chaos Zones and what's the deal with the Beasts - it was really interesting.

However, what I liked the most, was the action - the chapter was full of it. There was a mission, kidnapping, fierce fight and even you managed to cram some "lovey-doveyness" into it. Compared to the previous version of your story, the new chapters are bombastic.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dreamer

10 Years Ago

she was originally going to be in the book more but i kind of wrote without her...if that makes any .. read more
In my opinion the whole chapter is... redundant. Basically it's a filler which contributes nothing to the plot, readers don't learn from it wny new vital information, nothing world-changing is happening here. I know that the harsh words of critiqe aren't welcome, but I feel that I can't sit back and say nothing.

Dreamer, your story has an incredible potential. It's written in a reader-friendly way, the characters and the fictional world are well-developed, but the actual plot is lacking. The first few chapters were amazing and captivating, but now the book starts getting boring. A few chapters ago the dream-team should have been sucked into some adventure, but nothing happened. The tension plummeted and the spell you cast upon the readers at the beginning dissolved.

I know my bitching is cruel, but I'm doing it because I believe in you and your ability.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dreamer

10 Years Ago

no I appreciate honosty, it wasn't until you pointed it out that i realized how slow it was, the rea.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 1, 2013
Last Updated on August 29, 2013


Author

Dreamer
Dreamer

LA



About
I'm just a simple country girl who likes to write the (what I find cool) stories I daydream up in my head. I also have a deviantart account at http://khiramae.deviantart.com/ don't have a whole lot .. more..

Writing
Prolog Prolog

A Chapter by Dreamer


Death Death

A Book by Dreamer


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Dreamer