Chapter 19

Chapter 19

A Chapter by Dreamer

Chapter 19

 

Just a jump to the left…

 

 

 

"I really never wanted to come here again." Cameron sighed as the group crossed the bridge into Central City. Feeling eyes on him, Cameron was sure news of their arrival was already on speedy feet to Xerkieda's pointy ears.

The streets were packed with the midday life of a city, slowing the group’s progress considerably. The further they got into the city, towards the compound, the deeper Esma's scowl became. Her grey skin and snow white hair drew the curious stares of many among the throng. It also attracted the sneers of the Werst elves mixed in the crowd.

One of the elves said something to his friend in their tongue, receiving snorts and giggles from the others in his group. Cameron wasn't versed in the dialect the elf had spoken but by the way Esma gripped the reigns of her horse he knew it wasn't polite. Chelry bent close to Esma's ear and whispered something that made her relax somewhat. He then shot a withering glare at the offending elf that had Cameron holding his breath. The elf swallowed hard and nudged his buddies; they melted into the crowd without further insult.

"I'm assuming," Kailah said softly to Cameron, "that Werst and Galics don't get along?"

Cameron shrugged, "I guess so?"

As the gates of the compound came into view, Cameron cringed at the sight of the slight form of Xerkieda standing in the entrance. Her smirk as Skiff saluted her only deepened Cameron's aggravation.

"Greetings to you Councilwoman," Skiff ignored the smirking, "we're traveling home to Kalm and seek shelter for the night."

Councilman Gin had ordered them not to tell anyone but Maltoris of what had happened in Southlands, he didn’t want to start a panic before further investigations into the Beast attack could be concluded. Cameron wasn’t sure he agreed with this decision, but there was nothing he could do. An order given on a contract was obeyed, services bought were services rendered.

Xerkieda, through some haughty power only she possessed, looked down her nose at the captain, him being on a horse it was quite the feat, "Of course, Captain Wraithorn, our doors are always open to our friends of the north."

Skiff saluted then dismounted as Xerkieda turned on her heel back into the compound. The rest of the group dismounted and followed him inside. Stable hands rushed forward and led their horses away.

"Your packs will be brought to your rooms," Xerkieda glanced back at them, "come I will show you where."

Kailah raised her eyebrow skeptically, "Councilwoman, not to be impertinent, but why are you showing us?"

Stopping at the threshold to the compound tower Xerkieda turned around to fully face the small group. Her ever present haughty smirk twisting her thin lips, "Why, are you suspicious of me having some horrendous ulterior motive, my dear Kailah?"

Kailah narrowed her eyes, "Not particularly, I was merely curious."

"Well as you humans are so fond of saying, curiousity kills the cat." Xerkieda's form shimmered as she stepped over the threshold.

Cameron rolled his eyes at the snarky thought projection, of course there was no way Xerkieda would play hostess in person. The Central Compound was vastly different from the one in Kalm and the Southlands. Where Kalm's was vast and open, the Central Compound was cramped, the main keep a towering spire. Xerkieda's projection led them up seemingly endless flights of stairs to neighboring rooms.

"Rest here, someone will be along to fetch you for dinner." Xerkieda's pleasantry was more a command than courtesy.

Skiff saluted the Councilwoman, followed by Don and Esma, then reluctantly Cameron. Xerkieda smirked, then her image dissolved into sparks of light and was gone.

"I really hate that woman." Cameron sighed heavily as he followed Kailah into the room.

Kailah snorted, "Im sure she's none too fond of you either, Cameron."

Cameron opened his mouth to retort then thought it over, shut his mouth and shrugged. Kailah smiled at him over her shoulder then turned her attention to their room. Through some use of a perception filter or genius furniture arrangement, the rooms seemed to be bigger than reality would dictate.

There was a couch against the right wall directly across from the small potbelly stove. A table was against the wall immediately to the left of the door with two stools pushed under the edge. Directly across from the door was an opening. Cameron walked through to a small hallway, on his right was the bathroom on his left was the bedroom. Stopping in his tracks he pursed his lips.

"What's wrong?" Kailah noticed his sudden stop and came to see what the matter was, "Is there a monster or something?"

Cameron shook his head at her grinning face, "No, just one bed, I'll take the couch."

Kailah glanced into the tiny bedroom at the bed that might, through severe muscle control, fit one person, maybe.

"No, I'll take the couch." Kailah replied, "You take the bed."

"Don't be ridiculous," Cameron crossed his arms giving her a commanding look, "you're exhausted and need a goodnight's sleep. I'll take the couch and that's final."

Kailah stared at him with a little smile of patience curving her slim lips. Her red eyes held amusement as she cocked one eyebrow.

"Cameron," she said softly as if to a child, "you did see the couch, right?"

Blinking in surprise, Cameron leaned back to see through the doorway into the living room. The subject of their discussion sat innocently against the wall in all of its short glory. Realization dawned on him why Kailah was insisting on the couch, there was no feasable way for him to sleep on the couch. He was too tall.

Pursing his lips he straigtened and turned to face Kailah, she still had the same patient smile as before. He cleared his throat and nodded, "I'll take the bed."

He was saved further comment by a knock on the door. Kailah went to answer shooting him a wink over her shoulder. He sighed and followed her, arriving behind her just as she opened the door.

The young man on the other side of the door bowed low to them with a flourish, "Councilwoman Xerkieda requests the honor of your presence before the evening meal."

As the man straightened Cameron snorted, "What does the pointy eared snake want now?"

The servants light brown eyes shot from him to Kailah, hesitantly he licked his lips, "The Councilwoman only requested the presence of Miss Malavander."

Cameron held up a finger, "One second."

He pulled Kailah back into the room, shutting the door in the servant’s confused face. Cameron turned to Kailah his protest ready.

She raised her hand, cutting off his protest, "Its all right, I'll go. Not like she's going to eat me."

Cameron gave her a look that spoke volumes on his idea of Xerkieda's motives as Kailah opened the door once more. The servant hadn't moved and wore an expression of polite indifference universally adopted by servants everywhere.

"I’m ready." Kailah smiled softly at the man who bowed and indicated she should follow him.

Cameron leaned against the doorframe, arms folded, eyes narrowed as he watched Kailah disappear around the bend in the corridor. Sighing to himself he went back into the room and prepared for that evening.

 

“WRETCH!” The Seeker threw the wine glass against the stone wall shattering it, “That blasted Paradigm! How dare it make a fool of me.”

Calming down slightly the Seeker turned her blindfolded gaze toward the vaulted ceilings. Sighing she walked down the dais toward the open, giant double doors. Flexing her wings she brushed past the guards who saluted her. Walking onto the balcony the Seeker looked toward the east. Her castle was in a remote mountainous region, only monsters and demons roamed here according to the villagers in the valley below. She smirked, it was true.

The Seeker rested her hands on the railing. The Paradigm in the past seven thousand years since the beginning of the current game had managed to keep humanity alive, albeit within an inch of its life. Now it was flourishing once again and the Seeker was stuck rebuilding her forces from the previous war. The search for the current Paradigm slowing the process.

“Seeker.” A quiet voice called behind her.

Turning around she recognized the figure kneeling before her, “Shekrim, have you news?”

“Apology, Seeker, I have failed in my mission, The Paradigm is still at large.” The man named Shekrim replied unfalteringly.

The Seeker cursed, “You do realize what returning to me a failure means, do you not Shekrim?”

“Aye, Seeker.” Shekrim replied looking up at the Seeker with hard black eyes, “I do.”

The Seeker turned away from Shekrim slightly disappointed, of all her minions he was the closest to her favorite. The commander had served her without fail the last fifteen years, even with the defeat of her Beast army two years previous. She heard Shekrim unsheathe his sword but didn’t turn around when there was a grunt of pain then a thud.

Sighing she turned from the railing stepping over the corpse of her loyal servant and returned inside the castle, “Clean that up.”

 

Cameron answered the knock of another servant, this one a young female Werst elf. Her blond hair was plaited in a braid, secured up off her shoulders. Her bright green eyes seemed to laugh at his worn out attire, her face kept passively blank. Cameron blushed slightly, but this was the only set of clothes even close to presentable.

"If my lord would follow me, diner is ready." her melodic voice fell like silver bells in the silence of the corridor.

Cameron looked up and down the corridor, "Where's Kailah?"

It had been several hours since Xerkieda's servant had escorted her out of sight. He wasn't worried, or so he kept telling himself.

"Miss Malavander will meet you in the dining hall," the girl replied, "she asked me to reassure you," at this point her brow furrowed a little in confusion, " that, 'the pointy eared snake hasn't eaten her'."

Cameron smirked, "Thanks. Well, lead the way."

The young elf bowed then led him down the corridor, the opposite direction Kailah had been previously led. The servant stopped at the door of Skiff and Don's room and politely knocked.

The door swung open, partly, revealing the ever charming smile of Don, "Good afternoon, ho-"

The rest of his wooing was cut off by Skiff pulling the door the rest of the way open. He starred down at the servant girl like she was a raw recruit, waiting for her to find her voice that had suddenly decided to desert her.

Taking pity on the poor girl Cameron helped her out, "Dinner is ready, if ya'll would be so kind as to accompany us."

Skiff turned his hard blue eyes from the elf to Cameron, the girl rediscovering how to breathe stepped back out the way.

"Where's Kailah?" Skiff looked from right to left ignoring the elf girl.

Cameron shrugged, "This young lady said that Kailah would meet us at dinner."

Skiff merely nodded then stepped out into the corridor. In the light of the lanterns Cameron saw the toll the past week had taken on the captain. Dark circles were evident under his eyes that were starting to become bloodshot. Glancing at Don, Cam could see he wasn't fairing any better, he just hid it behind his ever present charming smile.

The servant recovered and indicated for them to follow, "If you gentlmen would follow me."

The three of them fell into step behind her as she swept off down the corridor. She glanced over her shoulder once to check that they had indeed followed her and was slightly surprised at the distance at which they did so. She stopped at Esma and Chelry's door and rapped politly on the wood.

The temperature noticeably dropped when Esma opened the door. The servant’s friendly, helpful attitude disappeared as she almost spat out that dinner was ready. Without waiting for a reply she set off down the corridor. Cameron, Don, and Skiff exchanged confused glances as Esma and Chelry stepped out into the hall.

"What was all that about?" Cameron asked, skipping ahead to walk next to Esma.

Her golden eyes flicked in his direction then returned to staring daggers into the servants back, "Racial differences."

When no further explanation was forthcoming Cameron dropped back to walk with Skiff and Don. The group was led down so many corridors that twisted back on themselves that Cameron was hopelessly lost by the time they arrived at a massive double door. Don whistled appreciatively at the workmanship of the doors, each was carved out of what appeared to be pure silverwood, then enlayed with golden decales of birds in flight.

"Her Ladyship, Councilwoman Xerkieda." the servant bowed them through the gently swinging doors.

The dining hall stretched a good forty feet before them, with a long dark wooden table commanding the center. Tapestires adorned the right wall, giving the room a cheery brightness, that despite the decorator's best efforts did nothing for putting one at ease. The left wall was set with floor to vaulted ceiling windows that gave a spectacular view of Central city and the outlying plains. The sun wore the clouds like pink chiffon as it hung on the horizon, kissing the world goodnight with its last fiery light of the day.

To Cameron, the breathtaking view couldn't begin to compare to the beauty standing at the other end of the room.

Kailah smiled radiantly when she saw him, the effect of which made him weak in the knees. Her luxurious black hair fell in a wave over her shoulder. She wore a light blue ball gown, her shoulders covered by a delicate lace that flowed down her right arm but left the other bare to the world. The dress caught the last light of the sun sending a rainbow of brilliance around the room as Kailah slowly walked across the room to him. Cameron met her halfway in front of the windows, he was afraid to touch her, to spoil the beauty. Behind them Skiff gently reached out his hand, without taking his eyes off Kailah, and pushed Don's jaw closed.

Compromising Cameron bent at the waist with a flourish, "My lady."

She blushed slightly giving him a curtsy, "Kind Sir."

"You look," Cameron swallowed and finished lamely, "amazing?"

Kailah smiled shyly, "I don't know, you tell me."

Before he could Xerkieda cleared her throat shattering the moment, "Be seated."

Xerkieda definitely had a way with making request sound like orders, nevertheless they followed it, Cameron pulled out Kailah's chair and gently pushed it in as she sat down. Out of the corner of his eyes he saw Chelry did the same for Esma and perhaps it was a trick of the fading sunlight, but was that a smile?

Cameron sat next to Kailah with Skiff and Don on the opposite side from then. Xerkieda sat at the head, not quite sneering at them. As the servants deposited the first course in front of the diners, Xerkieda began to say something.

"Im sorry, Councilwoman, but where is Kailah?" Cameron interrupted her, a steely look in his eyes.

The beautiful Kailah next to him shimmered then disappeared as Xerkieda pursed her lips in annoyance. Before Cameron could stand from his seat in anger the real Kailah entered the room from behind Xerkieda.

"Told you he wouldn't be fooled." Kailah said with a triumphant smile, "And now I believe you have something to say?"

Cameron looked puzzled from the glowering face to the smug one and back, "Care to explain?"

"I take it back." Xerkiexa almost spit the words, "You win."

Kailah smirked as she sat down next to Cameron. All of them not let in on the secret between the two Casters began to ear their dinner in awekward silence. Kailah glanced at Cameron out of the corner of her eye and caught him staring at her.

He raised his eyebrows and shook his head, silently asking, "Well? Still waiting on that explanation."

She smiled softly, "I'll tell you later, I promise."

Three courses came and went in the ever thickening, awkwardness. Cameron hardly noticed what each dish was, after the rations of the road none of them were being picky eaters. His mind, now calmed down from the adrinaline of the "test", returned to its brooding of the past. Staring at nothing he jumped slighty when Kailah gently placed her hand on his forearm. He smiled at her reassuringly, taking strength from the heat of her skin.

“Now that you are sufficiently rested,” Xerkieda sat back in her chair, steepling her fingers, “Kailah dear, there’s someone here to see you.”

They all looked to Xerkieda in confusion; the door opened drawing their attention. Cameron heard Kailah’s sharp intake of breath and felt her body stiffen. The man wore a dark red robe that seemed to be too big for him, the effect causing him to look smaller. He was probably five foot three if Cam had to guess. He had black hair that was graying at the temples, but the thing that caught Cam’s attention the most was his silver eyes.

He wore a pleasant expression that didn’t reach his silver eyes, they were cold and calculating and swept the room’s occupants leaving behind a sense of judgement. His eyes came to rest on Kailah, whose breathing had quickened.

Cameron heard Kailah whisper under her breath, “Surkaust.”

“Ah, Kailah, sweetheart,” Surkaust purred, “so lovely to see you.”


 



© 2014 Dreamer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 16, 2014
Last Updated on October 5, 2014


Author

Dreamer
Dreamer

LA



About
I'm just a simple country girl who likes to write the (what I find cool) stories I daydream up in my head. I also have a deviantart account at http://khiramae.deviantart.com/ don't have a whole lot .. more..

Writing
Prolog Prolog

A Chapter by Dreamer


Death Death

A Book by Dreamer


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Dreamer