Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by Dreamer

Beware the Wolf.

 

 

“When you said ‘sentenced’, this wasn’t what I had imagined.” Cam mused staring at his Caster.

Kailah sat with her arms crossed over her chest indignantly as Cam tried his hardest not to laugh out loud. Kailah was sitting in the traditional cell of three stone walls and bars, on a wooden three legged stool, with a pointed detention hat sitting on her head.

“You have no idea how humiliating this is, Cameron.” Kailah growled glaring daggers at him as he finally lost control and fell over laughing.

“This is the worst punishment, aside from death, banishment, or imprisonment, a Caster can suffer!” Chelry emphasized staring in disbelief at Cam’s insensibility.

Cam finally got his laughter somewhat under control and turned back to his Caster, “So…How long is this, punishment, going to go on for?” Cam asked biting his lip to keep from laughing again. Her glare was kind of intimidating but that only made the whole picture that much more comical.

Kailah sighed, “I have to be here for another week.”

“You did explain that it was self-defense right?” Cam asked becoming slightly more serious. Kailah didn’t meet his gaze but instead stared at the floor, she uncrossed her arms and started fidgeting with her fingernails.

“She couldn’t claim self-defense, due to the fact that she didn’t stop.” Emsa stated, startling Cam by appearing at his elbow without any noise.

“Stop jumping out like that.” Cam said massaging his chest over his fast beating heart, “What do you mean?”

“The judge ruled I couldn't claim self-defense because of how far I went.” Kailah explained.

“The b******s deserved it. You only went that far ‘cause they tried to kill you.” Cam said indignantly, “Did the judge take into account that the bad guys wouldn't have stopped either?”

Kailah shrugged, “It didn’t matter because I was using magic and they weren't.”

Before Cam could come up with another argument Kailah cut him off, “I’m lucky they didn’t charge me with murder, Cameron. Let’s just count our blessings.”

Cameron opened his mouth to retort but the glare from his Caster made him think better of it. Sighing he nodded in consent but still unhappy. Chelry watched from behind Esma in concern. Esma was as indifferent as always. A soft cough drew all of their attention down the corridor to where the jailor stood.

“Visiting hours are almost up.” He said apologetically.

Esma nodded and turned to Kailah, “We shall see you again.”

“Thanks for keeping me informed on Cameron’s condition.” Kailah stood up from the stool and leaned against the bars, “See you later.”

Cam waved goodbye to the two of them as they followed the jailor down the corridor. Once they disappeared he turned back to find Kailah looking at him.

“What?”

Kailah shook her head slowly, “Nothing, just glad I wound up with you as my Sword I guess.”

“You guess?” Cam teased her, “Here I go saving your bacon and getting torched in the process and you guess you’re happy I’m your Sword?”

She laughed, “Sorry, sorry, I am glad.”

Her laugh sounded slightly forced but Cameron didn’t call her on it, “Well alright then. I’m going to head, I’ll be back tomorrow.”

“Alright,” Kailah sighed, “I’ll be here.”

Cameron told her goodbye and started walking down the corridor as he turned the corner he thought he heard a soft sniff like someone holding back a sob.

 

“Oh come on!” Cam cried as Kailah laid down a winning hand yet again. Kailah laughed at his misfortune as she raked the meager pot of two coppers, a shirt button, and a flower, towards her.

“You suck at this.” Kailah teased picking up the flower and tucking it behind her ear.

“You have got to be cheating somehow.” Cam accused her trying to be stern but the sight of her made him laugh destroying his efforts. As per required she still wore the hat and had to stay in her cell, but the jailor had been kind and allowed Cam to move in a table, two chairs, and a deck of cards and let him stay inside with her during visiting hours.

“Uh-huh, quit whining and deal, loser.” Kailah teased as Cam picked up the cards to shuffle. Cam sighed as he shuffled the cards and dealt.

“I’m running out of stuff to bet, what you want next my shirt?” Cam grumbled putting the deck down.

“Well, what an entertaining sight.” A voice floated to them from the bars. Both of them shot out of their chairs at the sight of Councilwoman Xerkieda. She was a tall thin woman with almond shaped dark green eyes, traits of the elves that lived in the Werst Forest. Her angular features were accented well with her long pointed ears that peaked out from her long golden hair. She smiled at the two of them, not at all friendly.

“Councilwoman.” Cam bowed, “Greetings and fair day to you.”

“Likewise, Sword. Kailah, dear, how are you faring?” Xerkieda asked all but brushing off Cam’s existence.

“I am well, Councilwoman.” Kailah replied politely though Cam could tell she was just about as nervous as he was.

You didn’t get on the Council as a Caster without being very powerful or ruthless, and Xerkieda fit both of those perfectly. Xerkieda was the strongest Psyche Caster in the Order and perhaps the Chaos as well. Psyche Casters used magics such as Telekinesis, and the like to attack or defend. Also, if the Caster was powerful enough they could cause illusions that would have an effect on reality.

Xerkieda was one such Caster. If rumors were to be believed, she was like a viper, she dealt in the shadows. She had a hand in every shady business within her district of Central and others within the other eleven. You didn’t cross her and live long to boast about it.

“What can we do for you?” Kailah asked in place of Cam. The Council Casters were notorious for treating the common Swords like dirt, beneath their notice.

“I just came by to see how you were doing.” She replied in a bored soft tenor voice as she gazed around the cell completely ignoring Cam’s presence.

“I’m fine, my Sword, Cameron, is keeping me company.” Kailah supplied politely.

“Ah, yes, Cameron Ganvez.” Xerkieda said finally looking at him, though Cam would have preferred to be ignored than sneered at.

“Gantervez.” Cam corrected bowing slightly.

“You’re the Sword that killed the Phantom caster Shalia, pity she was an amazing Caster.” Xerkieda sneered turning away from him and walking towards the window.

Cam couldn’t help but flinch at her barb. He knew it really wasn’t his fault that Shalia had died, but that didn’t ease the pain.

“Is there something specific you wanted, Councilwoman?” Kailah asked. Her voice took on a hard edge but still remained polite on the surface. She didn’t much like this woman hurting her Sword, even if the wound wasn’t physical.

“You do realize, youngling, that you have more enemies than supporters on the Council.” Xerkieda said offhandedly while staring out the window to the courtyard beyond.

Kailah stiffened slightly, “Yes, I realize this. The question is, which one are you?”

Xerkieda chuckled which grated on Cam’s nerves, “That is a question, one loaded with possibilities.”

She turned to face the both of them and her green eyes flashed with amusement and plotting. She smirked and walked slowly toward the entrance, Cam sidestepped quickly out of her way unconsciously putting himself between her and Kailah.

Xerkieda stopped just before walking through the door, “I am neither, youngling, in this play I am merely an observer. For now at least.”

Cam let out the breath he had been holding after Xerkieda disappeared down the corridor. He ran a nervous hand through his hair as he turned to face Kailah. She looked like she was going over something complex in her head.

“What do you think?” Cam asked her sitting back down in his chair, the card game forgotten.

Kailah thought for a bit more then shook her head as she sat down, “Dunno, I believe her when she says she’s neutral.”

“What do you know about her?” Cam asked leaning back in the chair and crossing him arms.

Kailah shrugged, “Not too much, she’ll bide her time and wait for an opportunity to secure her own position. Whether that’s good or bad for us is anyone’s guess. She’s not one to rush into things.”

“Despite the fact that you’re hell-of -a-scary powerful Caster, why is the Council so interested in you?” Cam asked leaning forward resting his elbows on the table.

Kailah shrugged, “I showed signs of magic when I was three, the Order found me before the Chaos. When they discovered I could do multiple elements the Council took a keen interest in me, well, one council member in particular.”

Cam’s curiosity was piqued, “Who?”

“Surkaust.” Kailah almost spat the name.

Cam shuddered in revulsion. Of all the council, he disliked him the most, the guy was just plain creepy. Surkaust was a Blood Caster. Nasty things happen when Blood Casters fight, usually in the gory department. Cam had fought a Chaos Blood Caster once with Shalia, the only thing that had saved the two of them was another Sword named Anthony who had sacrificed himself for the victory. Cam shook his head at the memory; they had never found all of him.

“Of all people, why him?” Cam asked, “He’s a Blood Caster, what could he possibly want with an Element Caster?”

Kailah shrugged, “Something about a prophecy having to do with creating the most powerful force to destroy the Chaos once and for all or some nonsense like that.”

“Heh,” Cam snorted, “I’ve never heard of anything like that, I’m all for destroying the Chaos but I doubt it’ll be in whatever way he had planned. But besides Mr. Insanity what makes the rest of the Council want you?”

“Mainly, I think, because Surkaust wants me. The Council, as you know, is made up of currently twelve members. Each member has their own districts and therefore Pairs, the more Pairs loyal to them the more power and influence they have with the Emperor and in the political game.” Kailah explained leaning forward onto the table, “Usually depending on what district you live in dictates with whom your loyalty lies, with the Emperor above all other ties.”

“Right, Maltoris has control over all the unattached Swords due to him being Commander of the Imperial Army. Though, personally I think he has the loyalty of all the Swords, attached or not, including Councilwoman Hatima. With her, he politically controls the northern districts of Kalm and Baughk.” Cam nodded.

“Most of the Psyche Casters follow Xerkieda as well as most of the offshoots of that type, same goes for Surkaust and the Blood Casters. Element Casters tend to lean toward Jorvis.” Kailah paused drumming her fingers on the table.

“Councilman Trep is a loner, even though he is a Sword. Same goes for Quells.” Cam mused.

“No I’ve heard recently they’ve sided with Maltoris on issues more so than not. But in general they are separate from his party.” Kailah nodded. She pursed her lips in thought and leaned her chin on her left hand.

“To-shire, he’s hooked up with, Kamstor, Horflin, and who else?” Cam asked numbering them off on his fingers.

“Bashgin, the Force Caster.” Kailah supplied.

 “Right him, so that leaves, Gin.” Cam said, “You don’t hear much about him.”

“He’s a quiet one; he doesn’t make any big waves like Surkaust and To-shire. He’s definitely patient, guess it goes with being a half-breed.” Kailah mused nodding her head.

Cam snorted, “I’ve know quite a few Halves but they definitely weren’t patient. Most of them had anger management issues. But boy were they fun to hang with.”

“Are the ones you know all Swords?” Kailah asked.

“Yeah, why?” Cam asked.

“Well, to be an efficient Air Caster you can’t have ‘issues’.” Kailah said getting up to get the water pitcher.

Cam laughed, “I guess that’s true. I guess we can only wait and see who our allies and enemies will turn out to be.”

Kailah shook her head slowly as she answered sitting back down with her glass, “You’re guess is as good as mine.”

After a while of silence Cam shrugged picked the deck back up and leaned back in his chair, “Well, things definitely aren’t dull with you around.”

Kailah snorted, “Things were just fine until I attached to you.”

“Oh really?” Cam said in mock surprise, “You’re telling me, that my delectable charm hasn’t swept you off your feet?”

He dealt the cards while Kailah stared at him through lowered eyelids, like she was appraising him.

“What charm? The first time we met after we attached, you burst into my room while I was changing. Then you yelled at me and stormed off.” Kailah said picking up her cards and arranging them in her hands.

“If I remember correctly you threw a pitcher at me, plus other heavy objects and something sharp. And I did apologize.” Cam said in an accusing tone changing out some of his cards.

Kailah shrugged, “I was slightly distraught at the time, I am a lady and you are a guy who saw things that shouldn’t be seen nonchalantly.”

“Lady my foot, you’re no more lady-like than Esma.” Cam laughed as he laid down his hand, “Full House!”

“For your information, just because I can kill you in multiple ways doesn’t make me any less a lady, just makes me versatile.” Kailah said pointing her finger at him.

“Yeah, yeah. What you got, ‘lady’?” Cam sneered.

“Royal Flush.” Kailah said laying her hand down.

“Crap!”



© 2013 Dreamer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I have some doubts about Kailah's emotional reaction when she started crying in front of Cam. She's a tough girl, killed some people. True, she got punished and suffered some humiliation, but tough people don't break in tears so easily, especially not in another person's company. This scene seemed to be out of character a bit.

Okay, now comes the praise. Your writing style is perfect for a book for wide audience: the dialogues and descriptive parts are well-balanced. When I read it I didn't feel bored by overly-long descriptions or felt the lach thereof (except in the first chapter). You keep adding some homorous situations, your fictional world isn't complicated to the point of confusion. Thumbs up, Dreamer.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dreamer

10 Years Ago

ok I rewrote the crying bit let me know what ya think :)
Gosia

10 Years Ago

I kind of miss the intimate moment between the twom, but the chapter looks a lot less awkward and na.. read more
Dreamer

10 Years Ago

yay less awkward! :P don't worry there will be more intimacy between the two. soon as i finish writi.. read more



Reviews

Nothing spells "evil/mischievous character" like making them smile strangely and talk creepily. Also, Kailah was cheating, I am sure of it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wolven

10 Years Ago

Heh. I felt the same way the first time I read it. :)
I just wondered though, if she knows how.. read more
I have some doubts about Kailah's emotional reaction when she started crying in front of Cam. She's a tough girl, killed some people. True, she got punished and suffered some humiliation, but tough people don't break in tears so easily, especially not in another person's company. This scene seemed to be out of character a bit.

Okay, now comes the praise. Your writing style is perfect for a book for wide audience: the dialogues and descriptive parts are well-balanced. When I read it I didn't feel bored by overly-long descriptions or felt the lach thereof (except in the first chapter). You keep adding some homorous situations, your fictional world isn't complicated to the point of confusion. Thumbs up, Dreamer.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dreamer

10 Years Ago

ok I rewrote the crying bit let me know what ya think :)
Gosia

10 Years Ago

I kind of miss the intimate moment between the twom, but the chapter looks a lot less awkward and na.. read more
Dreamer

10 Years Ago

yay less awkward! :P don't worry there will be more intimacy between the two. soon as i finish writi.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

326 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 24, 2013
Last Updated on July 22, 2013


Author

Dreamer
Dreamer

LA



About
I'm just a simple country girl who likes to write the (what I find cool) stories I daydream up in my head. I also have a deviantart account at http://khiramae.deviantart.com/ don't have a whole lot .. more..

Writing
Prolog Prolog

A Chapter by Dreamer


Death Death

A Book by Dreamer


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Dreamer