Learning

Learning

A Chapter by Closet Writer
"

Chapter two

"

 

Standing outside the store I notice it getting late and look at Derek, this soldier and ask, “How long have you been here in Maine”? He smirks, “Only a couple weeks now, you’re the first person I have talked to who does not wear a uniform.” I smile and tell him quickly, “It is getting late and I have to be home. I would like to stay and talk longer but I am starting to get cold.” Nodding he says, “I understand and I have to be getting back to barracks anyway! Nice to meet you Valery, is there a chance I can see you again tomorrow. I hesitantly respond that we should maybe know each other more and hand him my email address. He smiles and says, “Later Valery.” I wave and turn to walk home. As I walk away I think to myself. I just met a man, and he is a soldier, and he is beautiful and he spoke to me! I have a sudden urge to jump for joy, but don’t for fear of making a fool of myself. Then it hit me! I just gave this soldier my email! Will he actually email me? What could he possibly say! Oh my! What Have I done! I slowly trot up the drive way and into the house. Hanging my backpack on the small hook next to the door, I go to the sitting room.

I catch myself looking at the computer thinking there is no way he is going to email me, when suddenly I hear a small notification calling me to look at the computer.

An email from an address I have never seen.


To Valery Gail

From Derek Phelps

Subject Hello Again

                Hello Valery, I thought I would let you know I am very happy to have talked with you today! Looking forward to it again very soon.

 

Sincerely

PVT D. Phelps

United States Army

 

To Derek Phelps

From Valery Gail

Subject Meeting you

                Well Derek what brings you to want to know me so much that you felt the need to wait outside the store and get to know me? I am truly shocked that you sought me out!

 

Sincerely

Valery Gail

 

To Valery Gail

From Derek Phelps

Subject I had to know

                Valery, I have passed lots of people on the street but when I passed by you I could not shake it I had to know you. So far I am impressed you have decided to befriend a perfect stranger. I have to see you again meet me tomorrow at the small park!

 

Sincerely

PVT D Phelps

United States Army


I slowly read the email, and when I do I decide not to reply. I Sit quietly and think. What have I done to intrigue him so? “Derek Phelps”, I say out loud to myself. He wants to know me, what is there to know about me! I am a small town girl from Maine… I run and sit back on the couch and turn and look at the picture of my father. He was also a soldier, he was killed only three years ago and since then it’s just been mom and me! The thought of talking to a man who puts his life on the line day to day must make me seem so dull and boring. After dad passed mom was hard to console. What would she say to me for being friends with this soldier? After a moment mom walks in and I run and greet her with a hug and a smile. She hugs me back and asks, “Everything okay dear?” I respond, “Yes momma, and just want you to know we are okay, you’re doing a great job! She looks at me and a soft smile graces her lips. She kisses my head and walks into the kitchen. I decide its Friday and I should probably do something other than fantasies over what happen today. I pick up the phone to call Emily.

Emily Answered, “Hey girl!” I pause and sign “Hey, we need something to do tonight!” Emily responded with a soft voice almost guilty, “Valery I have a date I am sorry.” I sat and pondered a moment and thought to myself maybe I can make plans with Derek suddenly a gin appeared and I told Emily, “It is okay, have fun on your date! BYE!”
After hanging up I run back to my computer and click reply to the email.


TO Derek Phelps

From Valery Gail

Subject Tonight

                I have no plans an need out would you like to hang out?

 

Sincerely

Valery Gail.

 

Then as she waited for a response she thought how crazy it was that she technically asked this man on a date, or was it just friends? Surely I can’t ask that would not make since. Oh no!

 

To Valery Gail

From Derek Phelps

Subject Tonight

                I would love to meet you at the pier

 

Sincerely

Derek Phelps

PVT D Phelps

United States Army


I sign off the computer and go get dressed. I find my boots and favorite jeans. Going through my closet I find a comfortable but warm and fashionable sweater it was cold out and I knew it would probably get colder. So before I left I looked at my hair, it was flat and frizzy so I make a messy bun and use my hair tie to place it on top my head.

 

Only an hour later and I am at the pier, when I look and see this beautiful man walk up. “HEY!” I shout! And he responds with a soft “Hello.” I notice he is wearing much washed jeans and boots with a nice long sleeve shirt that accents his dark skin and a jacket is wrapped over his arm I assume in case the sweater is not enough. He walks over and sits next to me on the bench right in front of the water. He speaks in a cheery voice, “So this is our first date?” I flush red and think oh my is it, is this what he wants, I sit in question. I ask him “Is this a date?” He goes it can be and I am suddenly far from cold in fact I am in such shock and my nerves are crazy and I look at him in some sort of awe and I am not embarrassed that I was the one to ask. Date it is I say boldly, and he smirks and takes my hand. “Shall we?” We stand and walk up and down the pier. I ask “So where are you from?” He says openly I am from Louisiana, and Texas, and Mississippi, and all over really. I was raised a military child. I sigh and I can relate, because until my father was killed in action I to had moved around an awful lot.

He then asks,” Valery, what is your story?” and I stop and pause and completely let go of this man. I turn and look at him. Softly I say, “Well I am from all over, my father was also in the service he was a marine and he died three years ago while overseas. This is my first home since, well since I can remember.”  He looked at me with such empathy and softly gives his condolences for my loss. Tears burn my eyes and it was the first time I had ever spilled my feeling about my father to anyone. Not even Emily knew that part of me. It truly amazed me how I was able to open to this complete stranger. He cups my chin and wipes the single fallen tear from my face.

I soon ask, “Derek what is your story” He laughs a bit and says well I am the son of a retired service member we moved around until I was seventeen and my parents live in Iowa and I joined as soon as I graduated high school. Then I ask, “How old are you?” Derek says, “twenty-three” and I sigh I am only Seventeen perhaps the age does not matter. SO I say I am seventeen. He looks at me and says, so young. I say with a lump in my voice, “only a few more weeks and I will be eighteen. He smiles age means nothing to me, it is my job that it makes a difference for. I look at him and flush what are you saying that you are willing to go against your job? He looks at me and with a puzzled expression, “He says I will not be here for long, I ship out in three weeks but I want nothing more than to have someone like you back home waiting for me. You do not have to say an answer yet but after tonight and seeing you open to me I could not want you more Valery. I gasp! Things are moving so fast! I mean we only spoke today and we only had our first date today!

He looks at me and says with a strong voice,” I know you can handle anything just by talking to you and I could not and would not ask if I thought this was something you could not handle. It will be our struggle and perhaps a start to something great. I had not noticed but by the time he finished talking we had arrived at my house, where he kissed my hand and said think about it! He smiled and walked away.



© 2014 Closet Writer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

whoa. she's right. it is fast paced! XD I'll wait see what comes up next :-D

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 29, 2014
Last Updated on December 29, 2014


Author

Closet Writer
Closet Writer

Lompoc, CA



About
I am Victoria! I am 22 years young! I have been writing since I could remember! I am married with one son! My other babies consist of two rather rambunctious dogs! I am a college student, and my .. more..

Writing