Setting a date

Setting a date

A Chapter by Closet Writer
"

Chapter 8

"

As I walk into my house my mother smiles at me as if she knows something. I look at her and say,


“What is the matter momma?” and “She goes that young man Derek, he is a keeper.” 


I am in shock. How does she know about Derek? I ask, “How do you know him?” I see her face light up and she says,


 “Baby girl he came to me the other day while you were in school. He talked with me and I got to know him very well. Then he asked if it was okay to ask you to marry him. I gave him my blessing. He explained his circumstance and I understand it all too well. I know he asked you this evening and by the ring on your finger I know you said yes! Congratulations Valery.”


My mother gave her blessing! She talked with Derek! She understands! Oh My! I am lost for words and I hug her tight, she kisses the top of my head, and I hold her tighter. I am growing up so fast, then again who can put a speed limit on love. He asked my mom, how unexpected. I am however so glad he did!


I turn to her and say, “Mom, I am so glad you met him! He is a wonderful man I wish to marry the day before he leaves, will you come with me and sign?” I know this is an odd time but I do not wish to wait, I want to be married to this man. He leaves before I am legal and I want my mom and I to be together. After all she gave her blessing and I know this would mean a lot to her.


She smiles nods and I run up to my room. Grabbing my phone I dial Derek! The phone rings and two rings in he answers, “Hey babe.” I smile and in a voice that could be a screech I say, “I wish to marry you before my birthday! The day before you leave! I do not want to wait. We have a life time for a huge wedding and I assure you I want to be with you more than anything.” I can hear the joy in his voice as he says, “If it’s what you want I want it too.” I smile and I tell him goodnight he says it back and we are off the phone. It’s late but I want to call Emily. But I decide against it, I will just have to tell her first thing tomorrow.


I quickly hop into bed and Drift into a sleep of the purest bliss.

Next morning I am up and ready for school. I walk into the hallway before class starts and make way to my locker, when suddenly I see Emily and she is waiting for me. I approach and she doesn't speak she looks exhausted and I open my locker, picking up my books for my next class I close the locker and say,


“Emily, are you okay?” I notice that she is still quiet and then she slowly speaks,


“Valery, I am moving, my dad is offered a new job in Minnesota and we leave next Thursday.” I really do not know what to say she is my best friend. So I say to her calmly, “Wow! That is big news. I have big news of my own!! I am getting married, day after tomorrow.” Her face is beyond shock but she suddenly looks happy.


She then goes to speak, “Valery congratulations. I am happy for you, but is it a bit soon? You barely know one another.” I know she is right, but I ignore it all together I am happy and that is what matters.


I speak with her, “I know it’s a bit quick but I love him and he loves me.” Which is all that matters.

Emily talks again, “I guess that is all that matters. I support you after all you are my best friend and I want what makes you happy. I smile because I know she does not exactly mean that. Then again she is moving and I know that cannot be easy either. She turns and walks away and I have no more to say either.


As school ends Derek meets me outside and I hug him. He is my fiancé and I get to spend my life with him. He holds my hand and I have nothing to say. I keep thinking that my best friend is moving far away, and I may never see her again. I know Derek wants to ask he keeps looking at me but does not speak.


I notice that we get to my house and he speaks, “Babe, what is wrong?” I look at him and I know without a doubt I have to tell him. Softly I whisper, “Emily, She… she… is moving to Minnesota. I burst into tears and he grabs me and holds me close. I hold him back and before long we are inside and he is letting me lay next to him on the couch holding on to his hand I drift into a somber sleep.


I wake up and he is still there he and my mom are talking but I can hardly hear them. I can only think how Emily is leaving. I feel sad because I know I have not spent much time with her and as much as I am happy I am sad. I stir a little and Derek and my mom look at me. Both smile and mom speaks,


“Have a nice nap honey?” I shake my head slowly. Derek rubs my leg and I smile at him. Mom speaks again,

“Derek and I were just discussing your guys wedding. I was thinking we could have it before your birthday at the courthouse, I got all the paperwork and then you guys could have a small party here afterward. Does that sound okay sweetheart?” I look at her and a smile touches my lips and I mutter in a groggy voice,


“Mom that sounds amazing.” Derek smiles at me and I sit up and its still brisk in the house, guess I did not realize how cold I was. Derek rises and I meet him on his feet he says to me,


“I have to go back to post but I will see you the day we get married. I love you baby. As for Emily make the best of the time you have with her.” I smile and mutter back at him,


“I know your right, love you too! Be safe.” He walks out and I stand alone in the sitting room. I miss him and his arms already.

 



© 2015 Closet Writer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
Added on January 12, 2015
Last Updated on January 12, 2015
Tags: military, love, hope, freedom


Author

Closet Writer
Closet Writer

Lompoc, CA



About
I am Victoria! I am 22 years young! I have been writing since I could remember! I am married with one son! My other babies consist of two rather rambunctious dogs! I am a college student, and my .. more..

Writing