Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by ^~FireNinja~^

Four completely different people, all with different personalities and strengths are about to be combined in the most brutal way. At first it seems like they have nothing in common except that they have been thrust together as a team, but as time wears on.. they may find how they have more in common than they could ever imagine.

    Kana stared at the blank computer screen in front of her. This was all a part of her normal everday routine which included the following work, grab something to eat, and then sit down at the computer. The right hand corner of the screen beeped as someone logged onto msn messenger. She heaved a long sigh before clicking on the sign out button and rising from her chair in front of the computer. She heard the t.v. blaring out in the kitchen as her little brother prepared his late night supper. A few seconds later she heard the front door slam as her sister came home from who know's where. She smirked and muttered,"Wait for it..." Her answer came 2.5 seconds later when her sister walked into the kitchen and yelled at her little brother to turn the t.v. down. This ensued a response from her little brother which moments later brought her parents into the room. Kana shook her head and walked over to the window. She pulled the blinds up to look at the stars, little did she notice but as soon as the moonlight hit her face the moon lit up even brighter than usual.

    Meanwhile a few states away, Tanner was sitting in his room playing COD: World At War on his PS3. He chuckled into the mic and brushed his brown hair that gently grazed his eyebrows away from his eyes, knowing full well that within thirty seconds exactly they would fall back in place. He scowled as he was snipered from a tower, but within seconds he was darting back down a path after the enemy. He was closing in when a yell pierced his ears. His mom yelled from the basement,"Tanner! Get these worms out of the fridge now!" Tanner scowled,"But mom! I was going to go fishing tomorrow!" She yelled back,"Well their no good now, so get rid of them." He scowled at the game again,"Hold up a sec!" He heard her coming back up the stairs,"No! Now!" Tanner sighed,"I guess I gotta duck out. Sorry guys, catch ya later." He signed out of the game, laid his controller down and heaved himself up off the bed.  He sighed and continued on his way out of the room. As soon as he left the room a cold chill filled the room. He knew that something bad was going to happen. He didn't know what.. but he just couldn't shake the feeling.

    About two hundred miles away, Caleb was just getting off his shift at the local drive through. He glanced around his mediocre town of about 23,000 people and slowly began walking down the street. He lived about a mile from the place that he worked, and even though he had a car he frequently walked to work. About thirty minutes later he arrived at home, but was only there for a minute before heading out with friends. He was frequently out late with friends so this was nothing new. His cousin, Alex, and his friend, Lance, picked him up and they headed out into the night. Lance was behind the wheel and they were headed down main street when suddenly Caleb bolted upright,"Cat!" Immediately Lance slammed on the brakes,"What?!" Caleb pointed weakly as a form darted across the front of the car and onto the sidewalk,"There was a cat.. you would have hit it." Lance scowled,"How the hell did you know that that thing was there?" Caleb shrugged and answered weakly,"I don't know.. I just thought I saw something." Alex commented from the back seat,"That's not the first time that, something like that has happened either. You did it the other night, with that car that didn't have its lights on. If you hadn't seen it we would have been in a wreck." Caleb nodded and swallowed,"Yea.. I remember.." Lance glanced at Caleb,"You alright? You don't look so good man.." Caleb gazed out the window,"I'm fine.. Let's just drive."  

    As the dawn approached Ashton was still up hunched over his guitar trying to figure out some lyrics. A Slipknot song blared in the background as he tried to concentrate. His T.V. was lit up with a paused game of Gears of War 2. He sighed and tossed the sheet of paper across the room. He strummed his guitar aimlessly, as he glanced around his basement. He glanced at the clock to see that it was almost six o'clock in the morning. He brushed his dark curls out of his eyes and got up. He had quite a few friends, and was the most patient and calm out of all his friends. He had his zany moments, but most of the time he was also rather quiet. He chuckled to himself as he remembered the movie they had watched earlier that night. It was a comedy, and his friend,Kammy, had quite a few things to say about it. She thought it was piggish, and too guyish, but that's how she felt about most movie's they watched. Though most of the time she watched them anyways. He rose and went upstairs to get a slice of pizza. He failed to notice, but as he walked past a potted plant, a small blossom sprouted from a limb that moments ago had been dying.

    Kana glared at the moon, space seemed so far away. Most of the time she wished she was far away. She was tired of everything. She was a brown belt in Tae Kwondo, and got fairly good grades in school but still she felt something was missing in her life. She didn't have very many friends and preferred to just be left alone. Her home life wasn't horrible, but it wasn't perfect either. Most of the time her and her siblings didn't get along, so she tried to stay away from them as much as possible. Kana watched a car drive slowly down the road in front of her house. Suddenly a cold chill filled the room, and a dark shadow loomed over Kana. Kana whirled around, but no one was there. A man stepped out of the shadows and chuckled,"You must be the girl. Come with me, or I will force you." Kana took a step back,"Stay away from me!" He took a step closer to her,"I've been looking for you for a long time. I am not going to let you go that easily." Kana took a step back into the moonlight, the light bounced off her necklace causing a small shimmer. The man froze,"Where did you get that necklace?" Kana's hand went to her throat,"I've had it since I was a baby." The man grinned,"Ahh.. excellent." He lunged at her but before he could grab her she was lifted up into the air.

    The windows flew open and a strong wind blew across the room. A women flew in through the window. A bright red light surrounded her and the man was forced back. With a flick of her wrist, the women brought Kana back to the ground behind her. The man snarled,"Arana! What are you doing here?" She looked at him coldly,"I should be asking you the same question." The man grinned,"I've come for my Gem." Arana pushed Kana further behind her,"Like hell your taking her! She is to carry on my legacy not your's! The Gem's will destroy you! Now begone before I do it right now!" The man took a step forward,"You wouldn't." Before Kana could blink a red ball of light appeared in Arana's hand and it went flying across the room towards the man. It hit the man causing him to fly back off his feet. He rose slowly to his feet and snarled,"Fine, have it your way this time Arana, just wait though. The other's will be mine.. besides I prefer to deal with the men." Then with a swish of his cloak he was gone.
    
    Kana looked at Arana,"Who the hell are you?" Arana turned around and looked at her,"Oh right.. you.." Kana looked at her puzzled,"What the hell is going on?" Arana shot her a small glare,"Enough of the swearing, you're royalty now. You're going to have to start acting like it. Now come on." Arana turned and jumped out the window. Kana blinked in shock, snarled, grabbed her backpack and jumped out the window after Arana. Arana was already halfway down the street by the time Kana hit the ground. Kana took off after her,"Hey wait up! What the hell is going on here!?" Arana whirled to face Kana,"Stop with the swearing." Kana groaned,"Fine but will you please tell me what is going on?!" Arana looked at her calmly,"Look at the moon." Kana gazed upward,"What about it?" Arana looked at her,"What do you notice about it?" Kana looked at her,"It looks a little brighter than usual.. so what?" Arana smirked,"You did that Kana. Your an elementalist.. more preferably referred to as one of the Gems." Kana blinked,"What!? I'm just a normal seventeen year old though! How can I be one of them.. what are they exactly? How many are they? Where do they.. we all come from?" Arana looked at her,"There are four of you, three boys, one girl. What are you? I just told you, you're an elementalist. You four control the natural elements of the world. Fire, moon, lightning, earth, darkness, wind, water/ice, and light." Kana looked at her,"So we both have two?" Arana nodded,"Yes.. you now have a choice to make Kana. God has chosen you, among all the women of this earth to carry on my legacy, now you can either come with me and I will prepare you for the destiny that lies in front of you, or you can say no and walk away right now and I will never bother you again. You can always change your mind, though be warned. Once you've rejected your destiny there's no going back. Our world, your world will be gone forever."

    Kana looked at her,"What about my family..?" Arana looked at her,"We'll take care of them. They'll never know that you're gone. An apparition will replace you, it will walk through your every day life. It will be as if you never left." Kana gazed up at the stars for a moment and sighed. She looked at Arana,"Why now? How do I know if what you're saying is true?" Arana held out her hand and smiled,"Take my hand.. I promise everything's going to be okay." Kana hesitated for a moment and then placed her hand over Arana's. She glanced back at her house one last time before it faded away into nothingness.

    Tanner sulked down the stairs to his basement and pushed the light switch up. The light above his head sparked and then went out. He groaned and groped around for the flashlight. Finally his hand hit it and he turned it on. He walked over to the fridge shining the light around to make sure he didn't run into anything. Even though he was fairly sure he wouldn't, after all he had lived in this house since he was born. He opened the door to the fridge and pulled out the worms. He turned around and collided with something causing the box to fall to the floor and break open. He shone the light up to see a figure standing before him. Before he could move the figure stepped forward into the light,"Its Tanner isn't it?" Tanner backed away,"Yea.. what's it to you?" The man grinned,"You'll know soon enough. Now I suggest you come with me quietly or we'll have to do this the hard way... and I'd really hate that." Tanner's eyes narrowed and he stepped back into a fighting stance. Another figure appeared,"Tanner.. don't." The other man whirled around,"Kai! What are you doing here?" Kai rolled his eyes,"He's mine Dezmond. You'll never win. I suggest you back off now." Dezmond grabbed Tanner,"I suggest you back off Kai or I'll kill him I swear." Tanner immediately protested,"Hey now! What the hell is going on?!" Dezmond tossed him to the side,"Oh shut up and let the grown-up's work this out." Kai snarled,"Tanner run! Now!" Tanner jumped to his feet and made a run for the stairs. Dezmond snarled,"I don't think so!" He waved his hand and icicles shot down from the ceiling and up from the floor forming a gate. Tanner came to a dead halt not even a foot away from the icicles.

    Kai made to move towards Tanner but with another wave of his hand Dezmond sent Kai flying across the room.  Kai landed on his back a few feet away with a groan. Dezmond snapped his fingers and Tanner fell over onto the floor bound hand and foot. Tanner jerked against the ropes,"Hey! Let me go! I didn't do anything!" Dezmond kicked him,"Be quiet boy!" Kai rose to his feet and winced,"Don't hurt him Dez!" Dezmond laughed,"Hurt him? Why would I hurt him? I need him. I will overthrow you Kai and when I do. I shall finally be victorious." Kai snarled,"I don't think so." Dezmond grinned,"You lose Kai. Farewell." A cloud of black smoke suddenly appeared completely enveloping the space around them. Kai raised forward into the smoke, but when the smoke finally faded he stood alone. The icicles were gone from the stairs and the worms lay wriggling on the floor. Kai sighed and waved his hand. Moments later an apparition of Tanner appeared in front of him. Kai looked at it,"You know what you need to do.." The figure nodded and then with a spark Kai disappeared.
    
    Kana watched as stars and what seems like time spung past her. Finally with a sudden rush they stopped. Kana toppled over onto the grass in shock. Arana chuckled and looked down at her,"Yea.. I figured that would happened." Kana stood and brushed herself off,"What did we just do?" Arana started walking,"We transfigured. Come along now. Kai and Tanner will be waiting for us." Kana ran to catch up with her,"Who?" Arana stared straight ahead,"Kai..the Gem of Water/Ice and Light, and his succesor Tanner." Kana nodded,"Oh okay." Kana glanced at her surroundings. A forest lay directly in front of them, behind them tall majestic mountains glittered in the distance. She glanced to her left and spotted a bright blue sea in the distance, and to her right stretched golden plains. Kana looked at Arana,"Hey.. Arana.. Where are we?" Arana stopped for a moment and looked at her,"You're home Kana. This is Nightingale in all its wonder." Kana glanced around,"Is it always like this?" Arana sighed,"Unfortunately not.. that is why you are here.. to protect it. Now come along. Enough gawking."  A sudden blast of cold chilled Kana right to the core, she whirled around trying to see where it came from. A figure spun out of the air appearing out of nowhere and landed before her. The girl grinned and flipped her long black hair over her shoulder. Her purple eyes gleamed as she looked at Kana. Arana was immediately by Kana's side,"Denahi back off!" Denahi chuckled,"I'm this close to the prophecy and you expect me to just back off." Arana blinked,"What are you talking about!?" Denahi's grin widened,"You don't even know?! This is rich indeed. Poor little Arana still as clueless as when you got here."  Kana looked at her,"Hey.. what's the big idea anyways?! Just swooping down here like you own the place." Denahi whirled on her,"Stupid girl! My three brothers and I do own this place!" Before Kana could move Denahi formed a black ball in her hand and threw it at Kana, sending Kana flying back across the plain.

    Arana flinched,"Knock it off Denahi!" Denahi turned to her,"Lesson number one for our little prodigy: respect for her superiors." Arana formed a red ball of flames in her hand,"Back off." Denahi formed a black ball and blasted Arana away from her. Denahi slowly walked over to Arana,"Poor little pathetic Arana. We shall always be superior to you four. Just give up now, and run before I decide to kill you now." Kana slowly rose to her feet behind Denahi. Denahi raised her foot to step down on Arana when Kana leapt at her, sending them both tumbling to the ground. Arana surrounded her leg in a blast of white before slowly rising to her feet. Kana and Denahi rolled across the prairie floor. Kana suddenly lashed out with her leg sending Denahi flying back. Arana dashed over to Kana's side and pulled Kana to her feet,"Are you alright?" Kana nodded,"Yea.. I think I'm okay." Arana turned her back to Denahi to brush Kana off a little bit. Denahi growled under her breath and fired a black ball at the two of them. Arana spun around and a red shield popped up in front of them. A second later the ball connected with the shield disappearing instantly. With a wave of her hand Arana made the shield disappear. Denahi snarled,"Fine.. you win this time Arana but I'll be back you can count on that."

    Before they could blink, Denahi had disappeared. Kana rubbed her arm,"Who the hell was that?" Arana started walking faster,"Follow me." Kana took off after her,"Arana, who was that?" Arana paused before answering,"That was Denahi.. literally her and her three brothers control this world." Kana looked at her,"So then where do you..we.. come in?" Arana smirked a bit,"We are supposed to end their cruel rule." Kana nodded,"Oh.. so then why didn't you just kill her back there?" Arana sighed,"Because its not that easy. If we kill just one of them they'll just pop back up. We have to kill all four." Kana looked ahead,"And what if they kill one of us..?" Arana looked at her,"We die.. and we don't come back.." Kana swallowed,"Oh okay." Arana paused between two trees and glanced around. Kana looked at her,"Why did we stop?" Arana smirked and waved her hand before grabbing Kana and pulling her through the trees. A moment later they were literally falling through empty space. Kana screamed as a rocky ground suddenly rushed up to meet them. Arana landed lightly on her feet, and Kana smashed into the ground. Arana looked at her,"You'll get used to it. After about ten times you'll learn to land on your feet." Kana groaned and got to her feet,"Ah so we're cats now." Arana looked at her slightly puzzled, then rolled her eyes,"Ah we're using sarcasm now are we." Kana shrugged,"Sure." Arana smiled,"Come along. Follow me." Arana took off down a side tunnel with Kana right behind her.
    
    Soon they reached a complete dead end. Kana groaned,"What now?" Arana placed her hand on the rock and soon it started to fade away. When the dust cleared and the last rocks had fallen away. Arana held out her arm to let Kana pass,"Kana welcome, to the resistance." Kana stepped past Arana onto a small cliff and looked out across a wide valley. A village rested below them and a castle stood on the far side of the valley. The castle to say the least was indescribable. It was raised up on a cliff overlooking the village. It was a gleaming white, with several stain glass windows. The grass surrounding it was greener than anything Kana had ever seen. A single stream flowed past the castle and down the cliff forming a gentle waterfall which fell into a pond. A few fountains could be spotted here and there, and to the left of the castle was a large, blossoming garden. People were milling around the village pushing carts selling wares, and food. The cottages were as if they had popped out of a story book. The sound of children laughing reached their ears, and a small smile lit up on Arana's face.

    A figure appeared beside Arana. His brown hair was cut short, ending just above his eyebrows. His brown eyes met Arana's lovingly. Arana looked at him,"Glad to see you're alright. Where's the boy?" He looked at her and then looked away. Arana grabbed his arm,"Kai, where is he?!" Kai looked at her,"Dezmond got him. He arrived just before I did. I'm sorry. I know I should have done more, but I didn't want to freak him out anymore. Dez was already doing a good job of that." Kana looked at them,"Who are you?" They both looked at her, Arana blushed slightly,"Oh Kana.. I forgot you were here. This Kai." Kana looked at him,"Where's the other? Arana you said there was going to be someone else. I can tell by the look on your faces. Something's wrong." Arana looked at her,"We're handling it." Kana rolled her eyes,"Don't feed me that crap, you don't know what to do." Kai looked at Kana,"That's not true.. we.. have a plan." Arana looked at him,"We do..?" Kai looked at Kana,"Yes.. we do." Arana crossed her arms,"And what plan is that Kai?" Kai looked at Arana,"Round up the others.. pull the other two boys out of the human realm and to here. When you get back he'll be here." Arana growled under her breath,"Fine..come Kana." Kana looked at them both and then shrugged,"Okay whatever." Kai clicked his tongue,"I'll take Kana with me." Arana froze in her tracks and whirled around,"Excuse me.." Kai looked at her,"It'll be okay." Arana's eyes narrowed to slits,"I am not risking her, she's too valuable. They know something we don't. If they get a hold of her all hell will break lose." Kai shook his head,"Why do you think that something bad is always going to happen?" Arana scowled,"Because it usually does. And your still as foolhardy as when you got here!" Kai blinked,"Oh and you think you've changed. Well hardy har har miss perfectionist. You're still as tempermental as when you got here!"
    
    Arana flashed her hand and a ball of flame appeared, Kai did the same a ball of ice settling in his hand. They both drew back at the same time and fired. The balls connected with their intended targets sending them both flying back across the cliffside. Kana crossed her arms,"So this is the legacy that we are supposed to carry on. We can't swear but we can kill each other. Brilliant!" Kai scrambled to his feet, a burn mark fresh on his chest. Arana also rose to her feet, a similar burn mark on her left shoulder. Arana looked at Kai,"Fine.. take her. You win." Kai took a step towards her,"Arana come on.. don't leave.." She looked at him,"I'm going to go round up the others, please take good care of her." She kissed him and then with a burst of heat she was gone. Kai groaned and turned to Kana,"Well should we be off?" Kana looked at him,"To where?" Kai sighed,"To the depths of all evil." He grabbed her arm and then with a spark they both disappeared.

    They reappeared about a hundred miles a way. Kana stumbled back landing in a hole,"I'll never get used to that.." Kai looked at her, paled and pulled her up. A second later a fountain of lava burst from the hole. Kana blinked,"What the hell was that?!" Kai glanced around,"Well it used to be a water geyser, and then like everything else they made it bad. Kana glanced around, the ground was black, and the trees were grey, and bare. Kana swallowed,"Where are we exactly?" Kai glanced around,"Eh.. about the center of Nightingale." Kana nodded,"Ah.. okay.." Kai started walking,"Follow me.. stay close." Kana followed him across the rough ground. They had been walking about five minutes, when suddenly Kai took a step and suddenly a loud ringing filled the air. Kai paled,"Run!" He took off across the rocky ground with Kana right on his heels. Something whizzed over their heads, and they quickened their pace. A screeching filled the air, Kana looked up and saw at least ten purple creatures flying through the air. Kana looked at Kai,"What are those?" Kai looked up,"Harpies... don't let them catch you!" Kana quickened her pace as one dove down towards her. She ducked just in time and its claws scraped her back causing a few deep scratches. She straightened up, just as another one dove at Kai. Its claws grabbed him around his arms and began to lift him up into the air. Kana ran towards him,"No! Kai!" By the time she reached him, he was too high into the air. Kai looked down at her,"Hide! Don't let them catch you! When it doubt head North to the forests!" Kana watched helplessly as he was lifted higher into the air. Seconds later the sirens stopped, and the harpies had disappeared. She took off across the dead plain following in the direction they had taken him.

    The sun had just started to descend when she spotted a black castle in the distance. She started towards it, and by the time she reached it the sun was almost completely gone, a small hue was all that was left. She crouched against one of the castle walls and moved down the side. Suddenly she heard a faint whispering, she glanced around and dove behind a nearly dead bush. And not a second too soon, a moment later a guard dressed in red and black rounded the corner, and after glancing around continued on his way. As soon as he was gone Kana stood and looked around. She moved around the side that the guard had come from. A tower rose above her stretching high into the sky. Once again, she heard a faint whispering. It almost sounded like Kai. She glanced at the bricks, most of them were broken and had crumbled away. They made several small footholds that stretched up the tower wall. She put her foot into one and grabbed another with her hand, and slowly but surely she began to scale the tower wall. Within five minutes she couldn't see her own hand in front of her face, it was pitch black as the day drew to an ubrupt close. She reached up with her left to grab on to another brick and suddenly it broke loose beneath her hand. Startled, Kana let go and the remnant of the brick fell to the ground, her right hand clung preciously to the half of brick that was beneath it. Her feet dangled in the empty space beneath her. She heard a crack and looked up, the brick that she had clutched beneath her right hand, had a small crack in it now. She swore and swung her legs to the side. After several painful seconds of trying she managed to get her right foot into a small foothole. The brick crumbled away in her hand, and just as she started to fall she pushed off with her foot and thrust herself up into the air.



 



© 2009 ^~FireNinja~^


Author's Note

^~FireNinja~^
ignore grammar problems. How to develop relationships between characters advice? What do you think of the idea/story so far?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this so far...very good
Great Job

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

397 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 14, 2009
Last Updated on October 14, 2009


Author

^~FireNinja~^
^~FireNinja~^

About
I'm 17 year's old. Going to be a senior this year woo hoo!!!! I just write in my spare time.. but don't really know if its really any good. so i guess we'll see how this goes.. lol. Um.. I'm in Tae Kw.. more..

Writing