Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Meghan Frederick

Kevin's POV:
Sarah and Shawn ended up falling asleep in the hospital with me. Shawn's girlfriend, Emma, showed up in my room at least five minutes after I had woken up. She made sure Shawn was all right, she made a fuss over Sarah, and then she asked if I was okay.

Emma was very pretty, but not as pretty as Sarah. Sarah was beautiful. I felt a connection between Sarah and me. I always wanted to be around her. When she would go get food in the cafeteria, I would get depressed because she was gone. It felt as if when she was gone, something inside me left with her. I know this all sounds stupid and girly but I can't help it. It's my true feelings for her; a girl I barely even know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've stayed in the hospital for a week now, and Sarah and Shawn stayed with me the whole time. Emma would come and go, their parents would come to check on me and bring them some clothes, and even Sarah's friends, Carlee and Maika, would come and visit me. They're friends and family treated me as if they've known me for forever. It was really nice to feel that from other people for once.

A nurse walked into my room while looking at a clipboard. "Are you ready to go home today?" She smiled as she looked up from the clipboard.

"You have no idea!" I smiled back at her.

She smiled as she looked at the monitors one last time. "Just remember to take it easy and don't run out in the road again. I'll have someone bring up a wheelchair for you," and she turned and walked out of the room.

I swung my legs off the side of the bed. "I'm going to go pull the car around," Shawn stated as he backed out of the room.

A male nurse brought me my wheelchair and helped me sit and propped my leg up. "Do you need me to push you down to your car?" he asked with a kind of bored tone.

"No, that's okay. I've got it," Sarah was the one who answered.

The nurse nodded and left the room. Sarah picked up her purse and pushed up out of my hospital room.

It was nice to finally be able to leave that dreaded hospital. I mean it was clean and the people were nice but it's nothing like home. I miss my caretaker and my own bed. But, I will miss one thing while I'm home. I'll miss seeing Sarah every day. I'll miss seeing her green eyes sparkle when she smiles at me. I hope I'll be able to see her after today.

We were in the elevator when Sarah decided to speak up. "Hey, Kevin?"

"Yeah?" I looked over my shoulder at her.

"Why were you in the middle of nowhere when we hit you?" She questioned.

I didn't want to tell her the real reason, so I lied. "I was taking a jog through the woods and I didn't know that the highway went through there. I was running so fast that I ran right into the road and I was too slow to react to the oncoming car."

The elevator door opened. "That makes sense. " She rolled me out of the elevator.

Shawn was waiting outside the hospital with his car. Shawn ran over to us as we came through the doors. He helped me out of the wheelchair and into the seat behind the passenger seat. "I think you'll have more room back here. Especially with your casted leg." He ran around the car and jumped into the driver's seat.

Sarah peaked her head into my door and looked at me. "You have enough room?"

I smiled at her. "I think so."

"Okay!" She closed my door and got into the passenger's seat.

Shawn drove away from the hospital and so many things ran through my mind. I thought about my parents and about the new life I was about to start here. I thought about Sarah and how much closer we've grown together. I thought about how greatly she will change my life.

"Hey, Kevin, what's your address?" Shawn interrupted my thoughts.

"126 River St." I began to come back to reality.

"Wait a minute," Sarah turned around to look at me. Her green eyes showed recognition. "Is that the huge mansion?"

I nodded. "You've seen my house before?"

"We live in the neighborhood right in front of it," she said.

"Oh, great. He's the rich kid." Shawn mumbled under his breath. I figured Sarah heard him because she punched him in the arm and glared at him.

They drove me straight to my house and parked in the front of it instead of parking in the driveway. My caretaker, Pop, was waiting for me at the front door. Sarah opened my door and held out her hand to help me out of the car. Shawn grabbed my crutches from the trunk and handed them to me. I put each under my arm and slowly made my way to my front door. Even though I was going really slowly, Sarah and Shawn stayed right by my side the whole time. I stopped beside Pop on the porch and faced Sarah and Shawn. "Sarah, Shawn, this is my caretaker, Pop." I faced Pop. "Pop, these are my friends, Sarah and Shawn.

Shawn stuck out his hand. "Very nice to meet you, sir." Pop and Shawn shook hands. Shawn looked somewhat nervous to meeting Pop. I mean, I know Pop is more muscular and ripped than most men his age but I don't see him as a threat.

Pop turned to Sarah and smiled. "I'm guessing you're the beautiful Sarah. Kevin has told me so much about you over the phone." Pop shook her hand and grinned at me. She blushed.

"So, Sarah will be over tomorrow to help and check on you Kevin. If that's okay with you and Pop?" Shawn suggested.

Sarah started murmuring nervously. "Our dad told us to ask you if I could check on you the next day so I could make sure you were doing all right. It wasn't my idea. Or Shawn's."

I laughed. "That'll be fine."

"I think that is a marvelous idea!" Pop exclaimed. "It'll be nice to have some company in this house. We don't really get guests. I fear the neighbors think we're too odd to associate with them."

Sarah giggled as Shawn gave a nervous laugh. "Well, it's getting dark. I'll see you tomorrow, Kevin," Sarah told me as her green eyes looked me over.

I nodded. "Good-bye. I'll see you tomorrow."

"It was a pleasure meeting you both. I shall see you soon, and thank you again for taking care of my Kevin," Pop waved as Shawn pulled Sarah off the porch and back to his car. Sarah waved back at us in response. Once they were gone, Pop helped me hobble back into the house and closed the door behind us. "They seem nice," Pop said to me.

"They are." I was thinking about Sarah. The sad feeling when she's away was beginning to creep back to me.

"You do indeed know that you will have to watch out for Sarah? You need to protect her if you do not wish to lose her," Pop reminded me.

"I know and I will protect her with my life. I always will," I said as if I was talking to myself.

You see, I've known Sarah since we were little, except she never knew me. I saw her in my dreams and I've always known about her. That's why I freaked out when I first clearly saw her. I've seen her so often in my dreams that it was nerve racking to actually see her in person. I know she's the love of my life but now I have to prove it to her and I must keep her safe. No one whom I love are safe, and she's the one person I never want to lose.


© 2014 Meghan Frederick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
Added on March 7, 2014
Last Updated on March 7, 2014
Tags: hospital, going home, kevin, pop, sarah, shawn


Author

Meghan Frederick
Meghan Frederick

Lafayette, LA



About
All I want to do is write :) more..

Writing