Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by Meghan Frederick

Sarah's POV:

​I continued to hold Kevin's hand as my dad tried to take the bullet out of his bloody side. When the bullet would move just a little bit, Kevin would grip my hand tighter and scream in pain. It was getting harder for me to watch as Kevin screamed and winced but I didn't say anything because I wanted to be there for Kevin and he didn't need to worry about me right now.

​Carlee brought me a bowl of water and a towel so I could try to bring down Kevin's fever. As I dabbed Kevin's forehead with the cold, wet rag, he sighed in relief. "Thank you," he breathed out.

​I smiled down at him and continued to wipe the sweat off his face. As I placed the rag back into the bowl, Kevin screamed the loudest I've ever heard him scream. I jumped and gripped his hand tighter and looked around to see what was wrong. My dad looked at me grimly.

"Dad! What's going on?" I yelled.

​"It's eating away at his organs. It passed through his flesh; now it's eating him on the inside!"My dad yelled back. I looked at Kevin as he tried to move around and continued to scream. "Shawn! Maika! Hold him down! The more he moves, the faster it spreads," my dad instructed.

​My eyes widened as I got an idea. I faced my dad. "Dad, let me try something."

​He looked at me confused. "What are you going to do?"

"My gift is healing. I healed Kevin's broken leg just before he got shot. Maybe I can help," I explained.

​My dad looked at me then at Kevin. "Give it a shot." My dad backed away from Kevin, and I took his place. I placed my hand on Kevin's bullet wound and closed my eyes as the energy drained out of me. I was almost completely drained when I pulled away from Kevin.

My dad rushed over to him to look at what was left of the wound. "The poison is gone. All that's left is to sew it up."

​I felt something begin to drip out of my nose and I used my hand to wipe it away. I looked at my hand and blood was on it. I guess the chosen one does have a limit.

​I rushed over to Kevin and smiled when I saw he was sound asleep. I lifted his head as I sat down and placed his head in my lap. I stroked the hair away from his face as he began to stir. He looked into my eyes and smiled. "Hey," he whispered to me.

​I smiled back. "Hey."

​His smile left his face when he lifted a finger to my lips. When he pulled his finger away, blood was on it. "She saved you, man," Shawn spoke up.

​The door bursted open behind the couch that Kevin was laying on. I heard someone begin to run toward us. We all prepared ourselves for another attacker, but it was only Emma. "Are you guys okay?" She exclaimed.

​"We're fine now," I smiled up down at Kevin.

​Shawn looked at her with a weird expression on his face. "How did you know something was up? I haven't had time to tell you about anything."

​"One of the neighbors called me and told me they heard a gun go off in your house and I rushed over here to see if everyone was okay?"

​"You didn't call the cops?" Maika questioned.



"I figured by the time I got here they'd already be here," she leaned into Shawn's arms.

​I went back to stroking Kevin's hair and he closed his eyes, trying to relax. "Do we go after them?" Carlee asked my parents.

​"No," my dad answered. "We need to try to stay low. They know now you guys have gained your gifts and more like them are going to come after us. We can't draw any attention to ourselves until all of you are fully trained."

​Trained?

​----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​Over the next few days, I stayed with Kevin and helped him get better. I felt guilty because he got hurt because of me. That bullet was meant for me. I should be six feet under but instead I'm alive and he's in pain, again.

​I was finishing washing Kevin's dishes when Pop quietly walked up behind me. "You do know he is falling for you, right, Miss Sarah?"

​I jumped and turned around to face him. I took in a breath trying to calm myself and then looked at him. "But I barely know him. We just met."

​"But aren't you falling for him?"

​I blushed but didn't answer him.

​"I can tell you are by just the way you look at him. You care so much about him already, even though you just met him."

​Was I falling for him? Or have I already fallen? "Pop? Where are Kevin's parents?"

​He smiled as he walked away. "In time, my dear."


© 2014 Meghan Frederick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
Added on April 11, 2014
Last Updated on April 11, 2014


Author

Meghan Frederick
Meghan Frederick

Lafayette, LA



About
All I want to do is write :) more..

Writing