Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by Meghan Frederick

Sarah's POV:

Shawn pulled to a stop in front of Kevin's house and put the car in park. I unbuckled my seat belt and turned to open the door. "I'll be back in a few hours. I'm going to see Emma and I'll be right back after that."

I nodded and turned to smile at him as I got out of the car. "Thanks, big brother." I slammed the car door shut and pulled my coat around myself.

As I walked up to the front door, I pulled my purse strap securely up my shoulder. The wind bit at my neck as I reached the front steps. I loved this early December weather. The coldness brought me comfort for some reason. I loved wearing jeans, and jackets, and long sleeves. Even though I loved summer for the beach and fun in the water, winter is my favorite time of the year.

I pulled my hand out of jacket pocket and knocked on the door. Kevin answered the door and I could see a worried look in his eyes.

"Hey," he forced a fake smile.

"What's wrong, Kev?" I looked him in the eye.

He sighed and gently laced his fingers around mine. "Come in. I have something I need to tell you."

This won't be good.

I followed him into the huge living room. Pop walked in from the kitchen with a bowl full of chocolate covered Chex Mix. He seemed surprise when he saw that I was with Kevin. I leaned into Kevin as Pop smiled at me. "Hello, Miss Sarah."

I smiled back at him as Kevin led me to the couch. I sat down expecting him to sit down beside me but he only kissed me on the cheek. I blushed and Pop whispered something into Kevin's ear. Kevin kept his eyes on me as he nodded in response. Kevin sat down on the table in front of me and took my hands in his. His expression was serious.

What's going on? Why is he so serious?

He breathed in and breathed out slowly. "Sarah, Pop and I have been keeping a secret from you," I looked between Pop and Kevin. Kevin squeezed his eyes shut. "I'm just going to come out and say this." I nodded in response even though I knew he couldn't see me. "Sarah, we're aliens. My parents and brothers were killed in a war trying to protect me and other kids on our planet. Most of the adults and children on our planet were killed. I'm one of the few children who were able to escape and live." He opened his eyes and looked at me as if expecting me to freak out or something.

Really, I was scared out of mind. After seeing all of my friends with their new gifts and me using mine, that scared me. Now, the guy I could or could not be in love with isn't even from my planet? Look at how my life has changed.

​"Sarah?" Kevin pulled me away from my thoughts. "Are you okay?"

​I looked at him. "How do I know you're telling the truth?"

​Kevin chuckled. "Look around."

​I screamed as I looked around the room. Everything was suspended in the air. My hair was flying around my face and I was lifted off the couch. It was as if we were in space but yet I knew we were on earth because I could see the pond outside the window. I swam through the air toward Kevin and wrapped my arms around him. "How are you doing this?"

​He smiled as we slowly floated back down to the ground. "One of the benefits of being an alien."

​"So, it's not a gift?" I questioned.

​He shook his head as our feet touched the ground. "I've been turning gravity off and on ever since I was little. I don't really think I have a gift yet."

​I looked between Pop and Kevin. "So why are you telling me this now?"

​Pop took a pretzel out of the bowl of Chex Mix as he spoke. "One of Kevin's friends is coming down to see us. We didn't want you to freak out when she arrived."

​She?

​"I haven't seen her since the war and somehow she was able to survive on her own on our home planet. Now all of a sudden she contacts me and wants to see me," Kevin squinted at the ground. "I'm not quite sure what she wants but she's my best friend so." He looked up at me. "Would it be okay if I ask her for help with this prophecy thing? She may know more about it."

​"I guess you could try."

Another person joining our circle? How am I supposed to protect all these people?

​"Sarah, we need as many people as we can to help us. It's going to get a lot more dangerous and the more people that know about this, the more people that can help protect you."

​I looked up at him. "Me? What about the rest of you?"

​He smiled. "We can protect ourselves. You're the key to saving the world, remember?"

​I placed my head on his chest and he rested his chin on the top of my head. "When is she coming?"

​He pulled away from me. "She didn't really say. Why?"

​"Well, Shawn, Emma, Carlee, Maika, and I are going to Emma's camp for the weekend and I wanted you to come with us."

​He grinned widely. "I'd love to," He kissed my forehead.



© 2014 Meghan Frederick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on July 24, 2014
Last Updated on July 24, 2014


Author

Meghan Frederick
Meghan Frederick

Lafayette, LA



About
All I want to do is write :) more..

Writing