Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by Meghan Frederick

Carlee's POV:

​The past few days have been very stressful for me. My brother, my best friend, Sarah, and her brother, Shawn, have all received their gifts, except me and Kevin. I figured Kevin hasn't realized his gifts because he's been hurt back to back and hasn't been able to test out his abilities much. I, on the other hand, have been trying to figure out what I can do. I tried to fly by jumping off my bed. Well, let's just say I can't fly. I tried to read Maika's mind but all that came out was a fart. I've tried everything but nothing has happened. I'm just...normal.

​I walked into the kitchen and wrapped my arms around Maika's shoulders in a loving sisterly way. "Maika, can you please bring me shopping? Please?" I begged.

​"Why can't you ask Sarah?" he mumbled.

​I let go of him. "I'm sure she's busy and I don't want to bother her."

​He sighed and got out of the bar stool rolling his eyes. "Where are we going?"

​I smiled widely and hugged him. "The mall!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​I ended up buying two dresses and shoes to go with them by lunch time. Even though I didn't need any new clothes, it was just nice to get away from the house and away from the stress. I could tell Maika felt the same way even though he hated shopping. Ever since he figured out that he could hurt someone with just one touch, he's been trying figure out how to control it and how it works. He hasn't hurt anyone since those guys barged into Sarah's home and tried to kill us all. Maika still doesn't trust himself to touch anyone even though when he picked up Kevin after he got shot, he didn't hurt Kevin.

​"Carlee, can we please go? I'm starving," Maika whined.

​I looked at him. He was carrying all my bags and my purse for me. He looked like a pack mule. "Yeah, I'm getting hungry too. I'm done anyway."

​He rolled his eyes. "How long have you been done?"

​"About an hour," I smiled sweetly.

​He threw a hand up in exasperation. "Let's go before I hit you!" he turned toward the exit as I laughed.

​We were walking toward Maika's car trying to figure out where to eat because we didn't want to eat in the mall because of all the Christmas shoppers.

A group of guys in front of us left the car they were standing by and started walking toward us. Maika walked in front of me as the boys got closer. "Just keep walking," Maika whispered to me.

​"Hey, you!" one of the boys yelled a few feet away.

​Now that they were close enough, I could see what they looked like. They all looked about our age and were wearing bedraggled clothing. They looked like a teenage thug group even though they seemed too skinny to be able to beat up anything or anyone.

​We tried to go around them but they pushed us in front of them so we'd have to talk to them. I grabbed my brother's arm as we faced them. But something was wrong with the boys' faces. They looked deformed. "What do you want?" Maika narrowed his eyes.

​One of the boys smiled evilly. "Let's take a walk," he stepped forward but Maika and I stepped back. I was stopped by stepping back into a cold body. I looked up and saw a boy whose face was peeling off, well actually burning off because smoke was curling away from his face. He smiled, revealing jagged, shark-like teeth. His entire body was burning away and underneath was a black form with no eyes; a shadow figure with only a mouth.

The creature ripped me away from Maika and I screamed as loud as I could. My bags flew everywhere as Maika reached for me but was weighed down by the other shadow monsters. Each one of the monsters wailed as Maika touched them.

"Where the hell did you go, little girl?" I turned around to see the creature that was just holding me hostage looking around for me. I was no longer in his grasp and he couldn't see me. I looked down at myself and I seemed normal to myself. Somehow this monster without eyes could see very well.

Maika ran right through me and straight up to the monster.

I was invisible but people and objects could run right through me. I was like a ghost even though I was still living.

"Where is she? Where is my sister?" Maika yelled at the creature.

The creature started speaking gibberish but in the distance I saw Shawn's car pull up. Maika noticed it, too, and the shadow creature disappeared into thin air since Maika was distracted. Shawn's car stopped and Sarah, Kevin, Shawn, and Emma all jumped out of it. They all ran up to Maika as I walked towards them, knowing none of them would see me. "Maika, what's going on? What was that thing?" Sarah breathed out.

"I have no idea what it was, but it did something to Carlee. She's gone!" I could tell Maika was about to break down.

"I'm right here." I spoke up and everyone froze.

So they can hear me, just not see me and they can walk through me.

"Carlee?" Maika called out.

I closed my eyes and heard everyone gasp when I was no longer invisible. I opened my eyes and saw a colored mist around every individual person. Each mist was a different color.

What is this? I've never seen this before now?

Maika ran over to me and tightly hugged me. These are the times when I love having a brother. He pulled away and smiled at me. The mist around him was an emerald green. I wonder what that means. "I thought I lost you."

"I was here the whole time. I'm fine." I looked him over. "Are you okay?"

He stepped away. "Yeah, I'm fine besides the fact I almost got had a heart attack."

I laughed and looked at my friends. "Why are y'all here?"

"Emma wanted to go to the mall so Kevin and I decided to tag along. I tried to call you but youdidn't answer," Sarah explained. "Where did that thing go?"

Maika shrugged. "Wherever the others went."

"There were others?" Kevin looked impressed.

Maika nodded. "And I got rid of the other ones singlehandedly."

Sarah smiled and walked over to us. "I'm just glad you're both okay," she hugged us and I looked at Emma over Sarah's shoulder. She was holding Shawn's hand but didn't seem happy at all. The mist around her was black, and the mist seemed liked it copied her expression.

What is she planning? Something is off with her. We're all in danger and she shows up right after the bad things happen without even being told something has happened. What is up with her?



© 2014 Meghan Frederick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on July 24, 2014
Last Updated on July 24, 2014


Author

Meghan Frederick
Meghan Frederick

Lafayette, LA



About
All I want to do is write :) more..

Writing