2. Boss Karolin's Gamble

2. Boss Karolin's Gamble

A Chapter by R. Linskey

 



"Boss, boss!" shouted Mako.

"Are you mad, Mako? The boss is playing Fifa online."

"It's okay, Wan, let Mako through." I said.

"Boss Karolin," bowed Mako, my youngest nephew and newest member. 

"What is it, Mako my boy,” I asked, whilst playing Fifa. 

“Someone broke in and killed Ken, boss.”

“I’m playing ranked right now, for f**k sakes. Wan, make sure you don’t allow this kunt to score a single goal into my team, got it?”

“Of course boss,” assured Wan. 

“Good lad,” I gently patted Wan’s cheek before leaving with my nephew, Mako. My brothers son lead me into one of my front yards where Ken was laid dead, a newly recruited member of the Karolin. Mako pointed at the person who stabbed Ken. An old man? In his forties probably, “Useless Ken, to let even an old man in his forties sneak up on him.” I chuckled in disgust. “No way someone like you could sneak in without the backing of a fairly rich patron.” I pointed at the old man. 

“Got a name old man,” I asked. 

“This is for the Yakuza!” The old man jumped at me with a hidden knife, my nephew parried it and returned an attack by shooting him square in the head. I looked sternly at the guard that was just holding the old man. “Did you not search him before I came out here, boy!” I grabbed the gun from Mako and shot him point blank without hesitation. “Go check on my wife, Mako. You did good but next time don’t go for an instant kill. Just simply injure them, okay?” 

“Sorry uncle, I mean, boss.” Mako bowed.

“Good lad,” I waved him away. This is for the Yakuza? If the old kunt said that in Japanese, then maybe I might have believed him, but to say it in English, and worse yet, to send a white guy to kill me? This isn’t the Yakuza way. I don’t just have the Yakuza after me anymore, it has to be the western powerhouses. If only my wife can hurry up and give me an heir, that way I can manipulate the Royal family and plant my child within the Larferna Palace. Though even then, it all comes down to if my child would look more asian like me, or more white like my wife. Either way this is only a last resort, “Boss, your wife is still sleeping.”

“Even after firing two rounds of a gun?” wow, my wife can sleep through anything. 

“Then lets not worry her by sharing what happened tonight. Mako, get someone to clean this up and take care of the body, dispose it in secret.” He nodded and did as he was told, a good son my brother produced, but too timid by half. I hope my son would be nothing like Mako.

Nine Months Onward 

A baby boy my wife gave me, and better yet he’s white like his mother. Time I finally put my plan in motion. When I married my wife, everyone thought I did it to publicly disrespect the Yakuza’s rule. Though in fact, I actually married her around the same time the Larferna King married his Queen. So that we would both have a child around the same time in nine months. It was a gamble, there was a chance that my child would look more like me, an asian. Or that my suspicions of having a low sperm count would prevent me from having a child. Though it looks like my gamble has paid off. 

“Boss, the switch was successful.” 

“Good job, Mako, I can always count on my brothers son.” 

“What should I do with the Larferna heir?” 

“Dispose of him like you did with that old man nine months ago.”

“Right away uncle,” looks like Mako finally feels apart of this family, calling me uncle instead of boss. Not so timid anymore it seems, good lad. I turned over to my brother and 2nd in command, “Wan, how goes our people? They within the Palace yet?”

“As planned, most of our men were already working within the Larferna region, but as of today during the switch, I had more men disguised as Larferna guards as well as our new spymasters.”  

“My wife, does she suspect anything?”

“We had the doctors present her with a dead infant looking similar to your son, she cried instantly so I have no suspicion that she knows anything about the switch plan.”

“Lying to my wife about her having a miscarriage really does rub me the wrong way, but in order to secure the power of the Karolin. I must do even this.” 

“Brother, I respect you for going through with this plan, but your wife, I worry about her as she is now apart of the Karolin family.” 

“I understand how you feel, though before we ventured into the empire business, were we not merely just cold blooded gangsters working within the Yakuza? My wife is only my wife because she looked regal, like the current queen of Larferna. Therefore the child she gave me will inherit her looks, making it less suspicious when my son grows older within the Palace in which we placed him in.” I smiled towards my brother, “I can always find another wife you know.” 

“There is still the risk of your son siding with the Larferna family, considering he will be raised as their own son,” mentioned Wan. 

“Wan, it won’t be them raising my son. Theres a stupid tradition were all the Larferna heirs get sent to be raised independently and without knowledge of their Royalty until the age of 25-30. My son will only be loyal to whomever is their to guide him when he takes the throne. And the people we have planted within the Palace will no doubt be there for him when the time comes for his crowning.” We both turned toward the noises of smashed glass and thrown tables. 

“Your wife's chamber?”  

“No doubt, excuse me, Wan.”

I was prepared for this emotional wreckage that would inhabit within my beautiful sweet wife, but walking into her room and seeing her with tears and anger still sent a raw and rare feeling in me. “My wife, your hands are all bloody from the glass.”

“I don’t care about my hands!”

“Leave us will you,” I ordered my men, whose standing behind me.

“I know my son isn’t dead,” she whispered and suddenly aimed a hand gun at me.

“Hold on, what are you doing baby, this is all grief, don’t do anything stupid.”

“You think that I am stupid? I know what my son looks like, he bloody came out of my own body! When the Doctors showed me my supposed dead son, I instantly looked to see if it was really him, but shock took over me due to seeing a dead infant, so I didn’t have the chance to think anything through. Now I see, now I remember.” So this is what they call mothers madness.

“Remember what, you mad kunt?” I yelled it out, hoping my men would storm in and handle this situation. I can’t die now, after everything I went through to ensure my plan is in motion.

“The birth mark on my sons elbow. Where is my son!”

“You won’t see him till-" BANG! 

“You f*****g shot me, you b***h.” In the neck, she shot me. My dying view was my wife on the floor, having being shot by my guards, probably. No wait, who’s holding me right now? It  was my nephew who avenged me it seems. “Don’t be so timid okay, Mako?” was my last words to him. 



© 2018 R. Linskey


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
Added on August 26, 2016
Last Updated on May 1, 2018
Tags: fantasy, sci fi, psychological drama, pov


Author

R. Linskey
R. Linskey

Edinburgh , Scotland , United Kingdom



Writing