10. The King’s First Friend

10. The King’s First Friend

A Chapter by R. Linskey
"

"

 

A day before Quent knows about his inherence  

The longer I go without a friendship causes me to have an increased appreciation for when I do. Plus, the longer I withdraw from the idea of friends, the more time I get for self improvement. Meaning I can display my best self for future friends. Sadness can usually tag along with solitude, this obviously doesn’t help when I’m trying to self improve! I finally adapted through it, by accepting sadness as an unfriendly reminder of the rare but reachable opposite that most people take for granted: Happiness. After gathering enough confidents to inhale this supposed smoke of joy, I started looking around for no reason. At first I thought it was just the drugs making me paranoid, but then I notice a gang of four masked ninja wannabes approaching us, maybe bandits?  

“Am I hallucinating?” I asked.

“I wish it was that, Quent.” Octlyn quickly got his carriage moving, and the bandits started running in pursuit of us. The carriage was too slow in its acceleration, which allowed one of the men swing a bat at Octlyn’s left hand, I witnessed a crunch. I have been preparing for an impacted sound like that during my time in school. I was mentally prepared for a situation were Jakcon might accidentally go over-board and ended up breaking something from my body, but I’ve never prepared for someone else’s pain. So I winced at Octlyn’s crunched up hand and pushed the man off him. 

“You’ve still got both your hands intact so you’ll steer the carriage,” he waved his broken left hand in front of me. I nodded and got into position. The man that hit octlyn was starting to get back up, then one of his friends aimed his bat and swung it at my spinal cord during our take off, which fucked up my back but gave us a much needed momentum. We were picking up some welcomed speed and was quickly escaping the wrath of those random attackers. It was then that I realised the brakes were useless. We couldn’t see because the speed we are going at unites a certain velocity wind. Making our eyes a bit watery. If you’ve ever went cycling down a hill without protection glasses, or stuck your head out of a moving car going over 60 miles per hour, then you’ll understand our situation. 

“There’s a f*****g rock wall the size of Mount Nuru,” shouted Octlyn. The pure calmness that he had, was gone from this point. We were going to spat into the rock wall and die? I tried steering us away from it, but the rock wall was just too long and stretched out too far. I tried using my foot as a brake and suddenly my shoe laces got stuck on a rock and I flew off the carriage. All I can feel was the lightness of my body, like I’d lost a good part of me, and all I could see was tons of red speckles falling like rain as I’m temporally flying. 



© 2018 R. Linskey


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
Added on August 26, 2016
Last Updated on April 30, 2018
Tags: fantasy, sci fi, psychological drama, pov


Author

R. Linskey
R. Linskey

Edinburgh , Scotland , United Kingdom



Writing