15. Managing Multiple Careers

15. Managing Multiple Careers

A Chapter by R. Linskey
"

"

 



I’ve successfully became an official citizen of Earth, something no Galaxin has ever achieved before. My people from Planet Moore have been questioning my departure. Obviously they’ve speculated that I’m only moving here to make it my primary home, for the insurance that I don’t die on a dying Planet. My plan to increase Planet Moore’s overall intelligence is still happening, and if I succeed in that, then Earth will be next as it has always been the real target this whole time. Planet Moore was just my testing ground. I have the Moore citizens testing for the Exporta IQ test as of right now. Most Planets won’t die for another 2000 odd years, so I can still travel back to Planet Moore and Pluto for my speeches and meetings. Though 2000 years to an immortal might start feeling like a century. So I’ve been writing up a list of careers I want to try out and a set of languages I want to learn. Earth is the only world that uses over 7000 languages, and every other world uses only one. That type of variety sets the pace of the things to come while living here. Becoming a leader/CEO isn’t the most profitable job, in terms of satisfying my soul. Meeroc displays a happier life than me, and all he does is smoke weed, drink, consume and flirt. If I’m really going to take this immortal thing serious, then I don’t want to spend all of my time commanding others how to best live their lives. Hence why I’m trying to make my worlds overall intelligence stronger. So that I can easily find someone to replace my overwhelming job. 


My new solar phone is ringing, another thing Earth doesn’t allow is non solar phones. The call is from Meeroc, I didn’t hesitate to answer it. 

“Meer?” I asked.

“Wanna pop some LSD’s and go for a cycle?” he rushed out. 

“It’s raining, we’re on Earth remember.” This is the only world that rains without any sort of man-made involvement. 

“We’ll just go on beast mode and bypass the rain.”

“Your hygiene is similar to a beast, for example the dirt under your nails from last night.” Meer wanted to cross off one of his bucket list activities, which is planting ganja seeds on real Earthy soil.

“My hygiene’s in top peak!”

“Self denying is a habit you indulge just as much as smoking.”

“You insult people thinking you know it all. Your nasty remarks wore off years ago, hence why I’m the only one who reacts to it without disdain.” Meer’s acting like an emotional whiner again, something childhood friends usually do when their pals smarter and richer than them? It’s kinda cute but in a non sexual way. Or maybe he’s just bantering with me?

“Replying with criticism towards my replies is a sign, that tells me you lack the common knowledge to successfully create a decent comeback,” I retaliated. 

“I’ve got loads of comebacks, but I’ve no time for people who just insults anymore. You just can’t see that folks don’t care enough to play along.”

“Getting deep, I like it. But every one of your most recent replies seems like you’re playing along anyway.” 

“Well, you got me fighting fire with fire.” He gave away his anger by leaking out the sounds one makes when grinning. 

“My fires infused with black humour and yours is of that of a bully.”

“I’m not a bully, if you replay back our conversation, it’s more likely you’re the bully.”

“I’m ordering Annel to write everything we’d just said, and I’m putting it on my biography book. So that I can let my future readers decide who’s what and who’s not.” I started texting Annel about the new task I’ve just set for her.

“Do what you like,” I heard him chuckling. “But we’ll both probably fall under the same category.”

“You can’t deny mines have more bash in them.”

“That’s the difference I’m proud of.” 

“And I the same, but I have to hang up this fun verbal duel we’d just started. I have some real life battles to plan.” I giggled out a two-second cheek infused vocal sound, that only I can do. 

“Continue this after our third Exporta? Cause I don’t think I can go through another one of your insults for at least two lifetimes,” teased Meeroc. 

“Find me someone to replace you and you’ve got a deal, Meer.” I hung up smiling at the phone and Annel just texted me the completion of her task. 


I have an important meeting today, I’m speaking on behalf of Remi to advise the Larferna council on how to rule certain parts of the Royal lands. Remi’s just going to be sitting there, listening. I still don’t have a brief of the things we’re going to talk about, and am starting to think maybe there isn’t one. Are the Larferna council really free-styling this meeting? Because if so, how the f**k does that leave any time for anyone to prepare a decent strategy plan for whatever the f**k we’re planning? I started to voice-mail Annel, “Get me a brief list of things that the Larferna community has been complaining about. And the most popular laws that people seem to be breaking.”

I didn’t expect a quick reply from Annel because I’d imagine the list would be long. I walked to grab some snacks by the solar fridge I ordered, I picked out some dried Larferna dates with Sun grown bananas mashed up into an energy bar. Annel texted shorty, “The most broken law of this month, is to do with you.” I started calling Annel for the first time. 

“Boss?” she said.

“Elaborate,” I snapped.

“Earth’s government has banned any sort of outside interference, for example: broadcasting any TV networks that isn’t created on Earth is illegal.”

“Yes, I knew this.” 

“This means no one should know who you are, because they’re supposedly shut out from the rest of the Galactic society.”

“Elaborate faster.” 

“The People of Earth has been chanting your arrival, even though they shouldn’t know who you are.”

“And acknowledging Ceoda identifies them as outlaws, because in order to know me, they have to illegally watch the Galactic TV servers,” I said. 

“Yes, and it basically lets us how many people have bypassed this law.” 

“And how many so far?”

“Near enough over half the worlds population, and counting.”

“But not a single person has even asked me for an autograph ever since my arrival?” 

“Only the poor is chanting for you, the nobles that surrounds the Royal Palace are rich enough to have lawyers that warned them of ever acknowledging you.”

“And that prevents them from being on the councils radar,” I added. 

“Sorry for not knowing this sooner, but you’re going to be late for the meeting soon.”

“Thanks Annel, keep me updated on this matter via texts.” I hung up. Maybe this is why the Larferna council didn’t give me a brief of the meeting? They want to ambush me with this problem, and throw me off as the Kings mentor. I better hurry to this meeting, I don’t want to give them any more reasons to bark at me. I started calling Remi, if he’s late too then I could walk in with him. That would shut the council up from calling me out on my lateness. Remipor picked up within a few seconds. 

“Remi? You at the meeting yet?”

“Just walking there, you?”

“Where are you?” I asked, ignoring his question. 

“Where are we, Deconi?” I heard whispers that I couldn’t be bothered translating. So I waited for the location to be informed by Remipor himself.

“We’re at the fountain of love,” he giggled. “I’m going to have to change that name.” 

“Agreed,” I matched his amusement. “Wait there for me, will ya?” 

“Only if you bring back a joint.” I texted Annel to have a joint rolled up ASAP and where to meet us. 

“Of course, see you soon.” I hung up, which was probably a bad idea to hang up on the King. F**k it though, he’ll forgive me once he has his joint. Plus, I don’t think he’s been King long enough to develop an ego. 


I finally got to the fountain of love and Annel was already there. This girls crazy fast at every task I set her. And if Remi was to sleep with her, then he would be vastly disappointed. I laughed at the thought of their possible quickies.  

“I see that you guys have sparked up without me,” I pointed at the already lit joint.

“We just lit up,” the King smiled. “Here, it’s three puff pass. So don’t get greedy.”

I responded with a chuckle and took my three draws, and passed it back to Remi. He waved out ‘no thanks’ and pointed towards Annel. This is the first time I’ve ever passed a joint to any of my employees. She noticed the thoughts I’m thinking and quickly rejected it. I gave her a friendly look and kept the joint in front of her, and she finally took it. 

“Let’s take a slow walk to the meeting room,” said Remipor Larferna. Walking in the meeting with Remi stoned out of his box projects me as a bad mentor, since weeds illegal and all. Can’t believe I’m worried about mere councillors. I guess this shows you how much I care about living here.

“Okay, but it has to be a slow walk.” I replied. Quent looked at the joint and said.

“What? You don’t want to share it with my council team?” clearly joking.

“I’ll have blunts rolled up for every one of them if they didn’t support the banning of cannabis so much,” I said.

“I’m liking them less and less,” he remarked. 

I started writing down my reply on my solar phone and showed the message to Remipor. “You shouldn’t share who you like and not like in front of your guards. Their still under audition, they could be spies for the council.” He nodded in agreement. We arrived at the meeting room, and the doors was so huge that it required four of Remi’s bodyguards to open it. We were greeted with the facial expressions of the once powerful regents. Looking over to Remi, I could see that he’s shocked by the change in appearance from all the council members. They all look thirty years younger than when they first met Remi, which was the day he was officially informed of his Royal status. When I gave them all an Exporta each, I asked them what type of vessel they want, and that was young versions of themselves, they said it would remind them of their youthful ambitions and thus would motivate them to be more productive in the counselling of Remipor. I made sure to speak out first, as it is known to be a power play amongst these Earthlings. 

“So this is the ex-regents?” I glanced at Renum, who’s the only person I refused an Exporta. He glared at me with his jealous old eyes and spoke out.

Council sound politically better,” responded Renum, who is the spokesman for the Larferna council. There’s about five councilmen all together, and not a single lady.

“The former regent council then?” I said.

“Its up to our King to decide the name of our council.”

“I don’t care about the name,” announced Remipor.

“That’s a good reply, because playing favourites can put a halt to influencing certain people.” I whispered into Remi’s ear, no doubt the council was super eager to hear what I had just said. Remi nodded and smiled at my review of his comment.

“Shall we begin the meeting?” Everyone took a seat in reply to Remi’s suggestion.

“Judging how everyone has a booklet except me, tells me that I’m today’s topic of discussion.”

“You predicted right, Ms Moore,” spoke up Renum.

“I know you’re the spokesman for the Larferna council, but do you really plan on speaking for every one of your council members?” 

“It’s what is required from me,” he said it sternly.

“So the only people who has ever heard them speak is you?”

“Correct.”

“What about their families?”

“This meeting is about you, so withholding the topic of discussion is annoyingly delayful.” 

“I hope you can remain as blunt as you are now throughout this meeting.”

“I will,” he got up and continued. “Since the arrival of Ceoda Moore, billions have broken the law.”

“What law?” spoke out Remipor Larferna. 

“The law that bans all Galactic communications, My Ferna,” replied Renum. Remi waved him to continue.

“We have two solutions, arrest them all, which will cost us a lot of money to imprison these outlaws, or we can legalise it.” 

“Seems like legalising is the option then?” suggested the King.

“It will benefit us the most, My Ferna. But it will mess up the entire entertainment industry.”

“Explain it all at once Renum, I don’t have the mind for dramatic build-ups today,” commanded the King. 

“If we start allowing Galactic TV to be broadcasted onto our world, then 1. It would collapse most of Earth’s TV networks due to the Galactic TV being more accepted.”

“What do you mean more accepted?” 

“They have better camera equipment than us, they also have more people working in that department; meaning they produce better TV than us. This will appeal to Earthling’s more and thus they will stop watching Earth’s TV and switch to-”

“Right, I get it now. What’s problem number two?”

“Once they stop watching E-TV [short for Earth’s TV] then the employees working there would lose their jobs. Families would struggle due to financial situations and we would lose media influence over our world. Plus, if we allow the law to be legalised, then the people of Earth would start saying to themselves we have the real power here.”

“Any suggestions to prevent all this from happening?” asked Remipor.

“Only one, My Ferna” replied Renum. 

“Go on,” the King leaned forward. 

“Get rid of the foundation of the problem.”

“I told you I don’t want no dramatics, Renum.”

“Ceoda Moore is the problem, My Ferna.” As predicted, the council wants me out in order to manipulate the King freely. 

“If Ceoda has a better plan, then shall we all agree that she can stay?” suggested Remi.

“That choice is up to you, My Ferna,” replied Renum. 

“Don’t worry, I’ve already had a solution in progress,” I said. Everyone turned to me, even Annel wore the surprised expression. That’s the second time I’ve seen her do that. 

“I hacked into your entire TV network and broadcasted it onto the Galactic internet.” 

“When was this?” asked Renum.

“About a month ago.” 

“How come we weren’t notified about this? We have scanners located around the Galaxy for the sole purpose of blocking out Galactic interference.”  

“My technology’s different from Earth, its more… Varied, so it wasn’t hard to hide it from your world.”  

“Everything you did was highly illegal!” 

“I’m sure Remi would pardon me once he’s heard the benefits of my illegal acts.”

“I probably will Ceoda, let us hear your solution then,” said Remi. I could see how red his eyes are from the joint we’d just smoked, this Kings high as f**k.

“I created a website called ‘E-TV’ and it allows the whole Galaxy to stream every TV show that Earth has produced. Within one week of its launch, the website had more than 600 million paying subscribers. Now it’s been a month since that launch, the streaming service has over 34 billion customers, watching and analysing Earth’s idea of TV entertainment.”

“Money doesn’t solve the main question of whether we should legalise Galactic TV, or imprison half the world for ever laying eyes on it,” stated Renum. 

“Money can solve most things if you’re capable of spending it creatively. So for all the employees that could possibly lose their jobs over the legalisation of G-TV, will be supported with the money that my new website has earned.”

“You wouldn’t have made that much money if you didn’t hack into our networks!” 

“I’ve already had my lawyers drew up a document stating that all the money E-TV has earned will be taxed straight to the Larferna Government. Also 75% of the profits goes to all the television networks that E-TV streams, so I don’t think anyone is going to get fired.”  

“So are we legalising Galactic TV or not?” recited Renum, showing no expression towards my new website.

“I have an idea to legalise it without the people of Earth thinking they made it happen,” I said. 

“What is this idea?” asked Renum.

“Since the whole Galaxy has already watched Earth’s form of entertainment, Earthlings would start wondering why they can’t watch theirs. So we give it to them, and they will thank us for it by paying a subscription fee.”

“Enabling our world to have access to G-TV would make us lose all our media influence on Earth,” said Renum, this guy just projects bad news. His life must be dull as f**k. 

“So what? E-TV has given us media influence over the whole Galaxy. I just made the Galaxies richest Planet into the most media connected world.” Remipor stood up and faced the council.

“Does anyone else have another solution?” he asked. Renum looked at every one of his council members, none of them made eye contact with him. 

“Ignoring the King isn’t cool,” reminded Remi.

“Sorry My Ferna, we agree with Ms Moore’s plan,” Renum finally said.

“Ceoda, you’re pardoned from hacking the media networks and is promoted to lead this council of mines.” 

“Sure, sounds time consuming, but I’m not declining the promotion.” I dreaded it in truth. 

“I’m ending the meeting now, unless there’s more problems to solve?”

“That’s everything for today, My Ferna,” replied Renum.

“Meeting ends here then.” The King walked out and I instantly followed, while hating myself for making a habit of it. After taking less than ten steps with Remi, Annel asked me to stop and talk with her. I waved Remi to continue walking on without me. 

“I’m not offended, nor should I be, but how come you never involved me with your E-TV plan?” she asked.

“I didn’t need your help with the website, but I know I should have asked for your help last week.” I gave her one of my smirks.

“What happened?”

“Nothing major, I just needed someone to do some quick researches.”

“Why didn’t you ask for my assistant then?” 

“I was going to, until I saw the surprised look you expressed on the day you met Remipor. So I’ve been craving for another look of your surprised expression ever since. It’s a cute look Annel, in a non sexual way, to me anyway. I don’t know what Remi thinks though.” 

“What the f**k?” She blushed at her sudden exposure of her rough mouth. 

“I withhold asking you for help in order to surprise you with my new website, and it worked.”

“You could have asked me to make that face.”

“It wouldn’t be authentic Annel, what the f**k is wrong with you.”

“Sorry for suggesting,” and she meant it.   

“You impressed me with your fast researching skills today, so I’m hiring two underlings to work for you. One will help with your work, and the other will act as your own personal assistant.” 

“Wow, what the f**k,” she whispered, Annel looked shocked again.

“There’s that surprise look you pull off so well.” I tagged my smile along with the compliment I just gave her and left. 


The Galactic Government still thinks I’m with Garitarie helping them merge their authority with Earth. By creating E-TV and allowing the whole Galaxy to access it, will cause the G. G. to think that I’m making process for them. Soon they’ll be pushing me to suggest industry trading between Earth and the rest of the Galaxy. Soil is the only thing Earth sells to outsiders, and the G. G. wants more. It’s not uncommon to buy bottles of Earth’s air in the black market. So my guess is the G. G. will be aiming for that to be the next E-TV. And slowly throughout the years, we would turn Earth into another industry world. That’s not my plan though, because I’ve already done the same thing with Pluto, which is the world that solely produces water for transportation to dried up Planets and wannabe farmers. So I don’t want to repeat the same thing with Earth due to the lack of fun I had with Pluto. The only reason why I created E-TV was to save me from being deported out of Earth. But now it’s made the G. G. think that I’m finally helping them, and that’s the complete opposite. Garitarie reports back to them every three months, so I have until his next report to make up a realistic story to substitute for his death. Octlyn will be asking where his brother is soon, and his last known location was coming to see me. I’m surprised that they didn’t bring up his absence during the council meeting, but maybe their just afraid of mentioning Jakcon in front of Remi. It takes a strong mind to forgive bullies, and Remipor isn’t quite there yet. So that should buy me some time before he gets comfortable with talking about past enemies. I started reading psychology and therapy books because I can’t really go to a therapist and confess my murdering spree on Jakcon, Gar and his wife. This is so I can diagnose what type of killer I am, cause that was the first time I’ve ever killed anyone. Though I doubt that’s the first time I’ve ruined someone’s life, so I don’t feel that guilty about it. I’ve already ordered my spies to construct secret bases all around Earth, incase the King chucks me out. I don’t want to live in hiding though, hence my on-going motivation to thrive on this world. My mind doesn’t deserve to live in solitude, it would be such a waste of it’s usefulness. The biggest reason for inventing Exporta was to allow myself to bypass the deadline we all dread: death. I have so many more things to invent and showcase to the public. So when every Planet dies, and if I do happen to get banned from Earth and forced to live in hiding. Then that would restrict me from sharing my new inventions, I would have to give it to another inventor to present it, which takes away my creditability. I’m too selfish to stomach that, and neither would my ego allow it. 



© 2018 R. Linskey


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
Added on August 26, 2016
Last Updated on April 30, 2018
Tags: fantasy, sci fi, psychological drama, pov


Author

R. Linskey
R. Linskey

Edinburgh , Scotland , United Kingdom



Writing