13. The Enrolment of the King

13. The Enrolment of the King

A Chapter by R. Linskey
"

"

 

The night that Ceoda Moore became the King’s Mentor



I spent the first ten years of my life being neglected by the only person who raised me, not knowing her name or anything about her history. Then started attending school at the age ten to be persistently bullied until I was twenty-one. Got a job as a soup stirrer for a day, made my first ever friend, smoked weed for the first time. Got chased by mountain bandits, lost a leg during their pursuit of us. Woke up to find out that I have inherited the most important job of all, which is the sole ruler of the Larferna lands, basically meaning am in charge of the whole world now. If the role of King was a job vacant that anyone can apply for, then surely what I just told you wouldn’t have qualified me for the job at all. Later that night, I gained Ceoda f*****g Moore as a mentor, and that somehow she can transfer human consciousness and prolong the human lifespan. I knew she created Exporta with that intention in mind, but witnessing it in person is a whole new perceptive compared to hearing about it on TV. We are currently overlooking the operation of Octlyn. I kindly asked if Ceoda would give him an Exporta too. So that he can heal faster and I could ask him questions about his contract with the Larferna council, my Larferna council. Whilst the transition of Octlyn’s brain is being done, Ceoda stated that it allows the opportunity to see all of his memories and feelings. Looking into the mind of my first ever friend is something that may seem cynical and disloyal. But Ceoda says, as a King, I must evaluate who to trust, and this will allow me to do just that. Ceoda Moore is willing to offer an Exporta to anyone I want, so that I can look into their minds and evaluate their knowledge. I thought I couldn’t trust him after hearing about  his mission but since looking into the mind of Octlyn Remelan, I realised that he was tricked and forced into signing a contract that modifies his life’s structure, to protect and guide a person he doesn’t know. That is something I don’t support. He’s like me, forced to become and work a job that neither of us excel on. Ceoda showed me that I can look at different timelines in Octlyn’s life, and I only one night to analyse his mind before it gets transferred into a cloned vessel of his original body. So I only looked into the days of his involvement with the contract. I respected him enough to avoid the sexual details with Kerra Marcie and the other fifteen girls he’s been with. The Exporta analyser or ‘brain stalking’ as Ceoda loves to call it, works by projecting the selected mind onto a TV screen, and it plays back anytime of their life, in a point of view format. Ceoda Moore was standing idle behind me while I browsed into the mind of a possible employee. 

“What job are you planning to give him, Remi?” asked Ceo.

“Feels weird you calling me Remi, after being called Quent for so long, but to answer your question. Octlyn’s a masterful cook but I’ve already got a chef.” 

“So?”

“He’s good at interior decor?”

“So… nothing then?” 

“Well, you’re the mentor.”

“I’ll say we wake him up and ask him what he wants.”

“Good plan, I couldn’t really find Octlyn’s career goals in his mind.” Ceoda chuckled at my incompetents in the art of researching. She started voice-mailing someone, “Annel, bring in Doctor Kenmar.” Less than two-seconds later, the Doc comes in. Even my guards take longer than that to respond. 

“Yes, Ms Moore?” said Dr. Kenmar. 

“Finish the transfer, we’re done here.”



© 2018 R. Linskey


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on August 26, 2016
Last Updated on April 30, 2018
Tags: fantasy, sci fi, psychological drama, pov


Author

R. Linskey
R. Linskey

Edinburgh , Scotland , United Kingdom



Writing