Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Tanya Lynn Bendily

Eric pulled up to the gates of the school. Summer break finally ended, and I felt better knowing Wyatt would be safer behind the golden gates of the school. Despite the school’s name, St. Bishop’s wasn’t a private school. There were no uniforms, religion classes or even required weekly church goings. There was, however, a church at the school that you could go to on Sundays. I wasn’t huge into the church going scene. I still had my faith, but church just wasn’t my thing. Eric always went to church though - and always tried getting me to go. The golden gates were protected by a barrier of light magic that only Light Angels could see. The building itself was white, and had four wings. The South wing was where all classes were held. It was the main school building. The North wing was where the church was, the East wing was the girl’s dorms and the West wing was the boy’s dorms. The halls were open, with Roman columns aligning them. The courtyard was filled with apple trees, and rose bushes, there were several stone benches and tables. The guards opened the gates, and Eric drove through. Although I lived with my dad, I felt like I was at home here at St. Bishop’s. We got out of Eric’s car and grabbed our suitcases from the trunk. As we walked into the school, a girl almost tackled the three of us to the floor.


Dawn Santos was a human that transferred to St. Bishop’s last year. She became pretty close to us over the year. Dawn was a perky brunette, with golden brown eyes and a smile always on her face. She always seemed happy about something, even during her lowest. She was a boy magnet too. Boys were all over her. Dawn had a nice model-like figure and fair skin, but she always told me how jealous she was that I had more curves and tan skin. Either way, she still adored me. Over the year we developed a sister-like relationship, and I couldn’t ask for anyone better. She was also a great roommate. I knew Wyatt had a thing for her, but she was caught up in dating some other human guy. Sometimes I felt bad for Wyatt, because I don’t think Dawn noticed how much he liked her. He would always look at her like she was an angel herself, and always got this goofy smile on his face. It was kind of cute, really. Her eyes lit up when she looked at us.


“I’ve missed you guys so much! I’m sorry we didn’t get to hang out like all summer.” She said. Dawn had spent the summer in Europe with her parents.


“We’ve missed you too, Dawn.” I said with a smile. “It’s good to be back.” Dawn rolled her eyes.


“Sure if you like waking up early for school. I liked being able to sleep in, and wake up to the sights of beautiful Europe.” She said. I giggled.


“How was Europe anyway?” asked Wyatt.


“It was fantastic! I bought you guys gifts.” She smiled brightly. “Oh, by the way Skylar, Jason’s looking for you.” I groaned. Jason and I went out for a year before he dumped me last year. Some new girl came to the school, and well, I’m sure you can figure out the rest. Eric looked at me.


“Do you want me to go with you?” He asked. I shook my head.


“No, it’s fine. Where is he?”


“He’s sitting in the courtyard under an apple tree.” said Dawn.


I put my stuff into my room - making a note to unpack later - and went down to the courtyard. Sure enough, Jason was sitting under an apple tree. He was talking to his best friend Matt. Jason Stone was an angel with short black hair, and emerald green eyes. I used to love staring into his eyes. They used to bring me joy, but now all I feel is betrayal. His skin was fairly tan, and he loved to work out so he was well-toned. Matt Wolfe on the other hand was a human. He had short red hair, and baby blue eyes with light skin. He was a sweet guy, and wasn’t proud of Jason for what he did. Jason wanted to be Matt’s Guardian Angel after graduation. The two of them have been friends since pre-school. I took a deep breath and walked over. Matt smiled when he saw me and immediately gave me a hug.


“It’s great to see you, Skylar. I hope your summer was okay.” He said. I smiled and gave him a hug back.


“It was great, thank you. How about yours?”


“It was great as well.” Jason got up, and Matt took the hint. “Well, I have to get going. I have stuff to unpack.” He gave me one last smile before taking his leave. Jason walked over to me.


“It’s great to see you Skylar.” He said as he hugged me. He kept his hold on me, and he looked at me with a smile. I managed to break myself free. I pushed him away gently, and backed up a bit.


“I wish I could say the same, Jason.” I said. He gave me a confused look.


“You’re not still mad at me, are you? Come on, Sky. We used to be best friends. What happened?” Was he serious?


“Jason, what happened is you dumped me for some other girl. It’s obvious that it was because you thought she was hotter than me. It’s sick.” I said. He had no words. That was a blessing. “What was her name again?”


“Ariane.” Jason said as he ran a hand through his hair. His hair had always been so soft. I hated imagining her running her fingers through his hair. I wished they were my fingers again. The thought made me angry. I crossed my arms to keep myself from hitting him. Just as I was about to say something, Ariane walked over and hung on his arm.


Ariane Pearson was an angel with long blonde hair, and big brown eyes. She was shorter than most, and you wouldn’t believe that she was sixteen. She wasn’t a part of the Guardian Angels though. She was training mainly to be a healer. Ariane always talked about how she wanted to someday work for the Lord’s personal healers. Good luck. I knew she didn’t like me very much, and had no regrets pulling Jason away from me. She gave me a smile (obviously fake).


“Hey Skylar. I hope you had a great summer.” She said. I gave her the best smile I could.


“I did. Thank you.” I said. “Well, just like Matt, I have some unpacking of my own to do. Goodbye, Jason.” I walked away before he could say anything.


Unpacking didn’t take too long. I met my friends down in the dining hall for lunch. Classes were to start tomorrow. Today was a day of unpacking, catching up and relaxing. I grabbed some popcorn chicken and a soda from the line. I walked over and sat with my friends. Eric and Wyatt were playing chess again - as usual. Dawn walked over with a bag that I assumed hid our gifts inside. She cleared her throat. Eric and Wyatt looked up from their chess game. she had a huge smile on her face. She couldn’t wait to give us our gifts.


“I think you guys are going to absolutely love what I got all of you!” She exclaimed.

I didn’t think she could contain her excitement much longer, so I said, “Well Dawnie, show us what you got.” With a smile on my face.


She set the bag on the table, and the three of us waited anxiously for our gifts. Dawn handed Eric his gift, wrapped in gold wrapping paper with a silver bow on top. Next, she handed Wyatt his gift which was wrapped in silver wrapping paper, with a gold bow on top. Last came my gift. It was a small box that looked big enough for a necklace. It was wrapped in blue wrapping paper, and a red bow sat on top. We immediately got to tearing off the wrapping paper. Eric’s gift was a glass chess set that Dawn bought in England. Wyatt’s gift was a Dublin, Ireland t-shirt. He always wanted to go to Dublin. I opened my necklace box, and inside was a silver necklace with an eiffel tower and heart charm. The three of us smothered her in hugs and thanked her. I put on the necklace. It was beautiful. Dawn scooted in next to Eric. Eric and Wyatt returned to their chess game.


“So what did Jasper have to say to you?” asked Dawn. I popped a piece of popcorn chicken into my mouth.


“He mentioned how things were different between us, and asked what happened.” I said. Dawn scoffed and rolled her eyes.


“He knows damn well what happened. What else did you guys talk about?”


“Nothing because then Ariane showed up.”


“She’s such a b***h.” said Dawn. The way she said it made me giggle. Austin walked over and plopped himself right down next to me. He gave us a smile.


“Good afternoon my children.” He said.

Eric was concentrating on his chess game, but he chuckled and said, “Austin, you’re not that much older than us.”


“Well then how about I call you ‘my little minions’?” asked Austin. All of us laughed. He looked at me. “So Skylar, how about you and I go catch a movie tonight?”


“I can’t Austin. I still have some last minute book report stuff to do.” I said. His smile faded a bit.


“You actually did that? It was optional.”


“Actually,” corrected Eric. “It was mandatory. You just didn’t want to do it.” Wyatt chuckled, and Dawn giggled. Austin looked at Eric, and his good mood returned.


“Well Eric, I have better things to do during my summer than read and write a book report.” He said. “Besides, I had my sister write it for me. You know, when she wasn’t busy bickering with her ex-fiance.” Austin turned back to me. “I guess we’ll have to take a rain check on that movie date.” As I was about to say something, my phone buzzed. I had a text message. I took out my phone and looked at it. It was from Jasper.


Meet me in the courtyard. Under the apple tree.


I replied, I’m with my friends. Can we meet later?


His reply came quickly, We need to talk now. It’s important. Please?


I got up from my seat. My friends looked at me.


“I have to go guys. Here Dawn.” I said as I pushed my tray over to her. She always liked finishing the food I never finished, although I usually always finished it. I walked out to the courtyard, and Jasper was leaning against the apple tree. I stood there with my arms crossed. “Alright Jasper, talk.”


“Not here. Let me take you out to dinner tonight, and we can talk then.” He said.


“Jasper, I have work to do.” I said. It was true. I really did have a book report I had to finished. “I don’t have time to go on a dinner date with you, and I just turned down Austin’s movie date because I have a book report to finish.”


“Oh come on, Sky. It’s not a date. I want to fix things between us. Please? It’s just dinner. I’ll take you to your favorite restaurant, and we can talk things over.” He said. I sighed. I couldn’t believe what I was about to do.


“Fine. But we have to be back at a decent hour, because I need to finish my book report. Got it?” Jasper nodded.


“I’ll pick you up at six.” He said. Without another word, he walked away.


I felt bad for turning Austin down, and then going off to dinner with Jasper. I didn’t care about what Jasper had to say at dinner, but he seemed sincere in trying to fix things between us. I doubt that he could, but I figured I would give him the chance anyway. Either way, I left for my room and finished started to get ready. Six was an hour away, and I still had some last minute unpacking to do.



© 2013 Tanya Lynn Bendily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Can't wait to read more :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Tanya Lynn Bendily

11 Years Ago

Yay ^^

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
1 Review
Added on April 13, 2013
Last Updated on April 13, 2013


Author

Tanya Lynn Bendily
Tanya Lynn Bendily

New Hartford, NY



About
About me... Hmm... Well, I'm 19 and writing is my passion. I plan to get at least two books published for starters. Hopefully all works out well. I've written at least 5 or 6 so far. Honestly, I'm not.. more..

Writing