Chapter 18

Chapter 18

A Chapter by Tanya Lynn Bendily

The day of Matt’s party had finally arrived. The week had passed by slowly, but thankfully with no problems. Dawn and I got ready for the party. Matt’s house was only five minutes away from the school. It was a pretty big house since his parents had well paying jobs. His mother was a fashion designer, and his father was a photographer for some major models. I tried not to tie Dawn’s corset too tight. I had to make sure she was still able to breathe. She wore a black skirt that went to her ankles, with a slit halfway up the side, and black high heeled boots that went to her knees. I handed her her red cape after she finished putting on her cherry red lipstick, and dark eyeliner. She definitely looked unlike herself. But that was the point of Halloween. I slipped on my Dorothy dress and ruby slippers. I put my hair into pigtails and Dawn handed me her glossy, ruby red lipstick. I put it on. Dawn made the comment that I made a pretty sexy Dorothy, and it made me laugh. Dawn and I walked out of our room. People were walking around the school, all dressed up for Halloween. There vampires, werewolves, zombies and one girl dressed as Red Riding Hood. The costumes were endless. We met Austin and Lucas in the courtyard.

Lucas made the Dracula costume work for him. He had his hair slicked back, and the fake fangs in his mouth (which he didn’t keep in for very long). He even wore the red, collared cape. He was naturally light skinned like Dawn, so he didn’t have to wear any makeup to make him look paler. I was amazed at how well Austin pulled off his Mad Hatter costume. It was a red tux with a matching red tie, and a red top hat with the Mad Hatter’s card stuck in it. It was the most traditional costume, but Austin looked amazing in red. I looked around.

“Where’s Eric and Wyatt?” I asked.

“They’re doing some last minute costume preparations, and going over that book again. They’ll meet us there.” said Austin. He held up the keys to the SUV. “I’m driving tonight. Clarissa has a date tonight, so she took her other car.”

The four of us walked out to the parking lot, and climbed into the SUV. Austin started up the van and drove to Matt’s house. You could hear the music a block away. I had a feeling most of his neighbors were at the party themselves, so they didn’t care about the noise. Matt’s house was decorated top to bottom with Halloween decorations. There was even a giant headless horseman animated statue in his front yard. It was a huge white house with a bunch of windows, and you could see people already dancing and having a great time. We walked up to Matt’s door and rang the doorbell. They had it programmed to scream just for Halloween. Matt opened up the door and greeted us with a smile. He was dressed as a wolf this year. He always wanted to, given his last name was “Wolfe”. He invited us in. The house was already packed with teenagers, and some adults even (probably for his parents).

“I’m glad you guys could make it. Where’s the evil scientist and his zombie assistant?” Matt asked.

“Last minute costume preparations.” said Austin. Lucas and Matt bumped fists. They were technically cousins, but never bragged about it much. I looked over at Jasper and Ariane. They were dressed up a princess and her prince (probably Ariane’s idea). I looked over at a wall, and almost didn’t notice the two Guardian Angels in white. They practically blended in with the wall - especially since the lights were dimmed. They must have been his parent’s guardians. There were a few others as well.

“Well enjoy yourself guys.” said Matt. He then walked over to Jasper and Ariane. Austin immediately grabbed my hand and brought me to the ‘dancefloor’. He loved to dance more than I did.

“You look great in that costume, Sky.” He said with a smile. I gave him a smile back.

“So do you. Very handsome.” I said. He spun me around gently.

The doorbell screamed. Matt opened the door. It was Eric and Wyatt. Wyatt looked completely zombified, and Eric looked great in his white lab coat, and mad scientist glasses. After Matt greeted them, Eric rushed over to me and Austin. He brought us over to a more private area of the living room. Wyatt brought Dawn and Lucas over. Eric and Wyatt seemed oddly excited about something. I had a feeling I knew exactly what it was.

“You’ll never guess what we found out.” said Eric.

“Well Matthews, spit it out.” said Austin.

“There’s demon hunters.”

“Really? Who are they?” I asked.

“Where did you read that?” added Dawn.

“In the book. It doesn’t give names, but it says that most of The Fallen creatures these days end up being demon hunters.” Eric explained.

“Which means Mary-Lynn might be one of them, and she might be able to help us out.” said Wyatt. Lucas spoke up with a good question.

“If they’re half-demon, why would they be killing demons? Isn’t that going against their own kind?” He asked.

“Well, you’re human but that wouldn’t stop another human from killing you, would it?” asked Eric. Lucas shook his head. “The book doesn’t say why they kill demons, it just mentions that they do, but finding one of these hunters would be difficult.”

“So you want us to go waltzing around all of London, and possibly all of England, just to find a demon hunter who might not even help us?” asked Austin. Eric crossed his arms. “If we have to travel all of Europe before Christmas break ends, count me out.”

“Stop exaggerating, Austin. I’ll talk to Esme tomorrow and see if she can help us out a bit more. Maybe give us more information on this Mary-Lynn girl.” said Eric.

“Let’s not forget that I went to Europe during the summer, and most of my time was spent in London. We won’t have to walk around aimlessly.” said Dawn.

“Mind if I come with you guys? I don’t feel like going to my family’s ski lodge again this year. They won’t mind.” Lucas said. They all looked at me.

“What?”

“It’s your call, Sky.” said Austin.

“Umm, sure. That’s fine.” I had no idea why I was suddenly the one in charge. “But no one else. Especially you know who. I don’t need him and his girlfriend getting into our business.” They knew I meant Jasper and Ariane. They nodded in agreement.

“We’ll need an adult, you guys. Especially an adult guardian, or we can’t go anywhere.” said Eric. “I’d hate to ask Clarissa after all she’s done for us already, so Skylar do you think you could try and get Devitri to take time off?” I shrugged.

“I might be able to, but he works for Lord Nicholas. I’m not sure how easy that will be. Taking time away from that to help out with a Dark Angel crisis is one thing, but to go on a trip to London with a bunch of teenagers? I’m not sure how well that would fly with Lord Nicholas. No matter how nice he is.” I said. “He’s already busy enough as it is, that we barely get to email each other.”

“It’s worth a try though.” said Dawn. I nodded. Matt suddenly walked over with Jasper.

“I hope we’re not interrupting anything.” He said. We smiled.

“No, it’s okay Matty. We were just done. What’s up?” I said.

“We were just wondering what your plans were for Halloween night.” Jasper said.

“We were thinking about going trick-or-treating, if you guys wanted to come along.” said Matt. What were our plans for Halloween? I’d have to wear this costume again, I realized. Not that I minded it.

“We might spend the night at Aunt Lily’s place.” said Eric. “She’ll probably want help passing out candy.” Matt looked a bit disappointed, but smiled anyway.

“That’s fine. I hope you guys have fun. Oh, and I hope you’re enjoying the party.” We nodded. Jasper stared at us a moment before walking away with Matt. Something told me that Eric’s excuse was mostly true, and we’d all have no choice but to spend our Halloween passing out candy.

My friends and I decided to spend some more time on the dancefloor. I assumed that most of the adults were downstairs in the basement. That’s where the home theatre/bar was. It even had a pool table. Matt’s parties usually run until two in the morning, especially since there really was no curfew on the weekends. But my friends and I left around midnight. We had danced our hearts out, and stuffed ourselves full of candy. Austin drove us back to the school, with Eric and Wyatt trailing behind in Eric’s car. When we got back, I couldn’t wait to change into my pajamas and relax on my bed. I hurried up to our room with Dawn. As I changed into my pajamas, I heard a bing come from my computer. I had an instant message on Facebook. I sat down and checked who it was from. It was from Devitri. Dawn walked over after changing into her pajamas, and read his message over my shoulder (which I didn’t mind).

Hey, little sora. I know it’s late, but I’m taking a wild guess in saying that you just got back from that party you emailed me about. If that’s the case and you’re still up, message me back. Please and thank you.

He added a smiley face at the end as usual. He used smiley’s in most of his sentences unless he was being serious. I didn’t blame him. I was the same way. I replied back.

You’re right. I literally just got back. What’s up?

His reply was instant, Oh, not much. I just thought I would tell you that I have some business to do in Hollywood, so maybe I’ll be able to see you. Joy struck through me all over. I smiled and then realized he couldn’t see it. I replied back quickly.

That would be great! I would love to see you again. Oh, while I’ve got you here, could I ask you a favor? He replied “sure”. Short and simple. Would you mind going to London with us for Christmas vacation?

His reply wasn’t as fast as his other ones. I waited about five minutes before hearing bing.

Sorry for the slight delay. Lord Nicholas was talking to me. That means that I have to go now, but to answer your question, I don’t know. Catching a break like that isn’t easy around here for someone like me. We’ll talk about it more when I’m in Hollywood. Goodnight, little sora. With that, he logged out. I shut my computer and turned around. I looked at Dawn.

“Do you think he’ll do it?” She asked. I shrugged.

“I don’t know, really. But let’s hope he does. Come on, we should get some sleep.”

We climbed into our beds, and I found myself instantly falling asleep.


© 2013 Tanya Lynn Bendily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
Added on April 15, 2013
Last Updated on April 15, 2013


Author

Tanya Lynn Bendily
Tanya Lynn Bendily

New Hartford, NY



About
About me... Hmm... Well, I'm 19 and writing is my passion. I plan to get at least two books published for starters. Hopefully all works out well. I've written at least 5 or 6 so far. Honestly, I'm not.. more..

Writing