Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by Tanya Lynn Bendily

I was never against seeing my dad. He and I had a wonderful relationship. But what was he doing here? He was still technically an active Guardian Angel, but he hadn’t been assigned to anyone since his last assignment. Guarding the Lord a few years ago. I was starting to get a bad feeling. Once I saw all the guardians there, and knowing that my dad was even there. He stood there in his blue jeans and a black t-shirt with his arms crossed. His short brown hair shining from the sunlight, and his light blue eyes showing concern. Something was definitely up, and I had to find out what it was. Clark Donovan was a wonderful man and an even greater father, and he was the best Guardian Angel they’ve ever had. He always put his duties before anything else. He always put in his all. My friends and I walked over to hi and the lot of guardians. He looked at me and a smile came to his face, but then it quickly faded. He knew why I had walked over. He knew that it wasn’t just to see him.

“No Sky.” He said. So simple and too the point, but the way he said it wasn’t firm.

“Dad, come on. Please?” I asked.

I heard a woman in the office say, “No. That absolutely won’t work. We would be outnumbered.”

A guy added in, “We’ll need to have some of the more developed guardians at this school to help out. The upperclassmen.” I gave my father a pleading look. He sighed and lowered his voice.

 “They’re talking about how there’s an ambush of Dark Angels in the Los Angeles area. They’re thinking about going in and killing all of them, assuming we can get more numbers of guardians. Right now they’re debating is we should get more guardians from the school, or if we should just lay low for a bit and see what the Dark Angels are up to, and what they have planned.” He explained.

“What do you think they should do Mr. Donovan?” asked Wyatt.

“I think we should lay low and see what they’re planning. I don’t think going in full-force is going to do us much good. Especially if we’re lacking in guardians. Skylar, don’t you or your friends say anything about this. To anyone. If they decide to grab some more guardians from the school, then they’ll make an announcement. Do you understand me?” He said. I nodded.

“Yes sir.” He nodded and sent us on our way to the cafeteria.

Austin was already sitting at his table with his friends, but he got up quickly as soon as he saw us. We sat down at our table and he plopped down next to us. He offered to get me my lunch. I couldn’t turn that down. I went to hand him my money, but he had already gotten up from the table and walked away. I guess Jasper wasn’t the only guy who liked to spoil his girlfriend. Eric took out the chessboard and Wyatt declared he would beat Eric this time. I was wondering how long I could keep my mouth shut about the guardians. I was good at keeping secrets - for a certain amount of time. Dawn was the one I was the most worried about. She loved gossip. It was difficult for her to keep herself from “spilling the beans”. So far she’s lasted about three minutes. That might have been a world record. Austin walked back over with our food and I thanked him. He knew just what I liked. Macaroni and cheese with popcorn chicken, and a water bottle next to a can of soda. Just in case I couldn’t decide which one I wanted today. There was also a small bag of cookies. Yummy.

“So what’s up you guys?” asked Austin.

“Not much.” We said. He gave us a look and then smiled. He leaned in and lowered his voice.

“You guys know about the Dark Angels in Los Angeles.” He said. Now we were the ones to give him a look.

“How do you know about them?” I asked. Austin leaned back and put his arms behind his head. If he had leaned back any more, he would have fallen back. He shrugged.

“I have my ways.” Man, I hated how that’s been his excuse for everything lately. It was starting to piss me off. I wish he would just tell us. What could his ways possibly be that made them so secret? Spying? Getting his friends to spy for him? Most people in the school did that. The rest of my friends shrugged off his comment. “I don’t think they’ll decide on sending guardians from the school, even if most of us are highly trained right now. It’s only the beginning of the school year. School has barely started. Not everyone has been fully trained. Like the sophomores and freshmen. Even if we were to take seniors and juniors, that still probably wouldn’t be enough.”

“I agree.” said Eric, keeping a close concentration on the chess game. Wyatt did seem to be kicking his a*s for once, but that’s usually how all his games started out. Wyatt had no idea how Eric did it. I looked up from the chess game, and saw Jasper walking over - with his arm around Ariane’s shoulder. It shouldn’t bug me so much, but it did.

“Hey you guys. Did you hear?” He asked. Ariane elbowed his side gently.

“Jasper, not so loud.” She scolded. It didn’t take a genius like Eric to figure out that he was talking about the Dark Angels in Los Angeles. How did he find out?

“Yes, we heard.” said Eric, still keeping a close eye on the chess game. Wyatt really was kicking his a*s for once. Jasper sat down in the seat next to Eric. Ariane stood with her arms crossed. I was glad we had a small table and a lot of friends. Jasper lowered his voice.

“I say we all take a weekend trip to Los Angeles.” We all gave him a look, but I was the first one to say something.

“Are you crazy, or stupid?” I asked.

“Or both.” added Austin. That made me giggle. I knew Austin didn’t like Jasper, and not just because he was my ex-boyfriend. Being the great friend the Austin was, he hated what Jasper did to me. They never did get off to a good start to begin with anyway. Jasper gave a sarcastic “ha-ha”.

“I’m serious you guys. Maybe we can find out what’s going on.” He said.

“You do realize,” said Eric as he made his move, “That they’re not going to allow any students near the Los Angeles area until further notice, right?” Jasper looked at him.

“And how do you know that?” As if he had to ask. Eric shrugged.

“It’s obvious school policy. Perhaps you should open up the school handbook and give it a read.” Eric said. Wyatt and Dawn tried not to laugh.

“I’ve already got a plan. Are you guys in or out?” He asked.

“I’ll pass.” said Dawn. Ariane and Austin both took her side.

“Checkmate.” said Wyatt. He knocked down Eric’s king. “I’ll go.” Eric ignored the fact that he lost at chess, and looked up at Wyatt like he was crazy. He wasn’t the only one giving Wyatt that look.

“No.” I said quickly. “Absolutely not. Eric and I will not put you in that kind of danger.” He glanced between the two of us.

“Sky, I’ll be with three Guardian Angels. Please? A weekend in Los Angeles would be fun.” He protested.

When you live in Los Angeles, “a weekend” in Los Angeles isn’t considered very “fun”. I suppose if you didn’t get to go very often it might be. I was always the first one to jump into action and take risks, but I didn’t want Wyatt joining in on any of it. Eric and I have done plenty of stupid, dangerous things through the years and putting Wyatt in danger wasn’t one of them. He was right though. He would be with three Light Angels, and he knew how advanced we had become. Wyatt felt safe with us. You could see it in his eyes. Eric and I finally gave in. Austin and Dawn were against it, and for a moment I thought I saw some worry in Ariane’s eyes as well. But if I did, it was probably for Jasper and Eric. She couldn’t care less about what happened to me. We tried to assure them that everything would be okay. When lunch ended, we parted ways and went back to classes, promising to meet up at dinner to discuss the plan further.

My dad was still talking with the guardians, but when I sat down at the table, Jasper filled us all in on the information he “found”. I’m pretty sure by “found”, he really meant “overheard”. Apparently a majority of the Dark Angels in Los Angeles were in Hollywood. It was only a thirteen minute drive, and I could understand why they chose it. A lot of tourists - most of which were humans - filled the streets of Hollywood. It was the perfect place for them to find innocent victims. Jasper said that we could stay at his family’s vacation house for the weekend. There had been an assembly just before dinner about the Dark Angels. The guardians decided that we wouldn’t go into action just yet, but certain guardians would be stationed in the Hollywood area. One of them being my father. That made things harder. It was bad enough that we were thirteen minutes away from an ambush of Dark Angels, so Eric was right when they said that the rest of the Los Angeles area would be closed off. If we had to leave, we had to be with an adult guardian. Jasper thought that since Austin was eighteen, he would get us past the gate, but he didn’t stop to think that “adult guardian” could have meant someone who had already graduated from St. Bishop’s and had more experience. Sometimes I had the feeling he didn’t use his brain at all.

“We could just tell them that we need to go somewhere outside of Los Angeles.” said Jasper. Eric shook his head in disappointment. Jasper crossed his arms and looked at me. “Do you have a better idea, Einstein?”

“Okay, number one, do not call me Einstein. Number two, yes. As a matter of fact, I do have a better idea.” said Eric.

“Let’s hear it then.”

“We tell them that we want to go to Hollywood for the weekend.” Jasper was silent. He looked at Eric, not sure if he was being sarcastic or serious.

“How is that a better idea?” He asked. “We would need an adult guardian, and where on earth are we going to find one cool enough?” Eric gave him a judgemental glance. I knew he was holding back insults, and even if Jasper was pissing him off, he remained calm.

“We can get Skylar’s dad to go with us.” He said. You could hear the annoyance in his voice at least. Wait, did he just say my dad? “He’s one of the Guardian Angels that’s going to be stationed there anyway.”

“I’m sorry Eric. Did you just say my dad?” I asked.

“Well, yeah. That’s okay, right? I mean, Clark’s a pretty understanding guy.”

“Yes, but he’s going to be worried about me and he’s not going to let us leave his sight.” I protested.

“Who isn’t?” a voice from behind me asked. It was Austin. He took a seat next to me.

“My father.” I said. I told him about our plans. His smile faded. He still didn’t like the idea of me and Eric going.

“You can always take my sister. She’s a graduated Guardian Angel from St. Bishop’s.” He said. “But on one condition... I go with you. I know I decided against it at first, but if my sister agrees to go with you guys, then I want to go too.”

Jasper wasn’t a big fan of that idea, but when he saw the look I gave him he quickly changed his mind. It was set that we would be leaving for Hollywood tomorrow night - or at least try.



© 2013 Tanya Lynn Bendily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

awwww amazing Scoobs

Posted 10 Years Ago


Tanya Lynn Bendily

10 Years Ago

Thanks ^_^ hehe

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

238 Views
1 Review
Added on April 14, 2013
Last Updated on April 14, 2013


Author

Tanya Lynn Bendily
Tanya Lynn Bendily

New Hartford, NY



About
About me... Hmm... Well, I'm 19 and writing is my passion. I plan to get at least two books published for starters. Hopefully all works out well. I've written at least 5 or 6 so far. Honestly, I'm not.. more..

Writing