Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by Tanya Lynn Bendily

I was glad to be back at school after what happened the other night. Yesterday went well without any problems. Dawn greeted us all with a hug, and then looked at Devitri. He gave her a smile. She didn’t look at him like he was a model she was fawning all over, but more like she had no idea what he was doing here. I didn’t even know what he was doing here. Clarissa didn’t even come in with us. She dropped us off and then left. Dawn pulled me aside and I knew what it was for. She wanted to know who he was, and what he was doing here. All I could tell her was his name and that I had no clue what he was doing here. She smiled at me.

“He’s pretty cute.” She said. I giggled.

“Dawn, you have a boyfriend.” I said.

“I know. I’m just saying. Where’d you find him? You said it was Devitri, right?” I nodded.

“I met him in Hollywood. He’s a Guardian Angel and a good friend of my dad’s.” I said. “I have no idea what he’s doing here.” Dawn brought me back over to the group.

“What are you doing here?” She asked Devitri. He looked down at her. “Didn’t you graduate?” He chuckled.

“I did, yes. I’m here as an order from Clark Donovan.” He said. My father sent him? “Forgive me Skylar, for telling your father about what happened, but I had to. He sent me here with you to keep an eye on you and make sure you stay safe.” I crossed my arms.

I was training to look after someone’s life for the rest of my own life. I didn’t appreciate having someone be in charge of looking after my life. Especially not some guy I just met who also appeared in my dream. I still barely knew anything about Devitri, and I knew I wasn’t going to find out any answers anytime soon. I didn’t want Devitri watching my every move, and being everywhere that I was. Some ground rules had to be set, and they had to be set now.

“I have rules.” I said. He looked at me and chuckled again.

“Oh yeah? And what are they little sora?” He asked. Little what? That certainly wasn’t Latin. I had no idea what it was. How many languages did this guy know? I glanced at Eric and he shrugged. Something he actually didn’t know. That was a shocker. I looked back at Devitri who had a smile on his face. Probably satisfied with using a word none of us knew.

“Rule number one, do not follow me around everywhere.” I said. “Rule number two, do not hang around me day and night.” I knew I had to put emphasis on the word “not” with this guy. His smiled never left his face.

“And what’s rule number three?” It was as if he could read my mind.

“Oh, right. And rule number three, no smoking around me.” I said. He raised his hands up.

“Nope. Absolutely not. See, this is the part where I enjoy being an adult. I don’t have to take orders from a seventeen year old. I’ll obey the first two rules, but number three is a no go. Sorry little sora. Take it or leave it.” said Devitri.

“No way! I don’t want your cigarette smoke in my face every time I talk to you!” I shouted.

“Alright. I won’t smoke in front of you...” He started. He wouldn’t, I thought. “But I’ll just follow you everywhere and spend time with you and your friends each and every day.” He would... I groaned. “I’m sorry, but you can’t take a man away from his cigarettes.”

“Fine. You can keep your cigarettes. Just don’t blow the smoke in my face. At least do that much.” I said. He nodded.

“Of course. Who do you think I am?” I was still trying to figure out the answer to that question. “I’ll be spending my time in the staff dorms, and I’ll let you know my room number in case you need me. In fact, I should go do that now. I’ll see you at lunch if that’s okay. Unless you’re going to banish me to the teacher’s table.” He gasped dramatically. I rolled my eyes and walked away.

We all missed half of our first period class, but it wasn’t too big a deal since classes were still just getting into things. Esme’s class was just as entertaining and enlightening as it usually was. Classes at St. Bishop’s could be just as boring as classes at any other school. After all, it was still a school. I was starving by the time lunch came around. I grabbed a slice of pizza, a soda and a chocolate muffin - their chocolate muffins were amazing. I walked over to my friend’s table. Sure enough. Devitri was sitting there. Eric and Wyatt weren’t playing chess for once. Dawn was sitting next to Devitri, trying not to stare at him. I sat down on the other side of him, trying to avoid him. I was grateful when Austin slid into the seat next to Eric. Someone to keep me occupied from Devitri. He smiled at me and avoided Devitri himself as well. Perhaps he had the feeling that Devitri was out to steal me away from him. The things that went through Austin’s mind, I’ll never understand them.

“So how was your weekend you guys?” asked Dawn. We didn’t feel it was right to leave out the details of what happened Saturday night. Dawn was our best friend. We told her everything. She gasped. “Are you okay, Sky?” I smiled.

“Yes, Dawnie. I’m okay. How was your weekend?” I asked. Her eyes lit up.

“Oh my weekend was great! I spent it with Lucas.” She said. Lucas was her boyfriend and went to a normal human school somewhere else in Los Angeles. Not all humans were required to enroll into St. Bishop’s. Devitri finally chimed in. I was hoping he wouldn’t open his mouth all throughout lunch unless it was to stuff french fries into it.

“Dawn, if I might ask, who is your Guardian Angel?” I was hoping he wouldn’t ask that. She looked down at her hands.

“Well, I had someone that was looking after me and wanted to become my Guardian Angel after he graduated last year. He was kind of like my big brother and we were pretty close. We connected really well. Unfortunately, he died just before summer...” said Dawn.

“His name was Ethan Banks.” added Eric. “Guardians saw him die, but his body suddenly disappeared. It’s a bit of a mystery. Dawn hasn’t found anyone else since, and for her sake we don’t talk about it.” Dawn continued to look down at her hands. Devitri put his hand on her shoulder gently. She looked up at him.

“I’m deeply sorry for your loss. We as angels have even suffered a great loss. It’s a terrible thing when we lose one of our own. I can stand in as your guardian until you find one if you’d like.” He said. He gave her a smile. Her eyes lit up again, but then dimmed down.

“You’re already looking after Skylar. That would be too much.” She said. As much as it pained Devitri to agree with that statement, he knew she was right. A Guardian Angel couldn’t take on too many responsibilities. A thought suddenly occurred to me.

“Devitri, aren’t you supposed to be looking after the Lord?” I asked. He looked at me.

“That is correct, but I was sent with some of his other guardians to Hollywood. That’s when I met you and your father sent me here to look after you. And well, now here I am.” He said. “One less Guardian Angel won’t be a big deal to them. Excuse me while I step out for some cancer.” I wanted to protest, but he got up and left before I could. He could have just said he was going out for a smoke. Another guy I would never understand.

I had no idea where my mind was during my Guardian Angel class. I was getting whooped left and right. Even people I managed to beat every time, were managing to kick my a*s. I saw Devitri spectating in the background, over by the gym doors. It was a bit embarrassing to be getting my a*s kicked in front him, and my friends as well. Even in front of my own boyfriend. I was usually always so focused, but today I was off my game. When the class ended, I grabbed my bag and hurried out. I didn’t need people asking me questions or giving me some kind of hell. My hurry-and-avoid method didn’t seem to work so well. Devitri was suddenly next to me, walking in step with me. He was the last person I wanted to talk to right now. Especially about what just happened. Of course, it was just my luck that that was the subject he brought up.

“What was I just watching in there? Clark Donovan’s daughter getting her a*s pinned down is what it looked like. Tell me it wasn’t so.” He said. I groaned.

“Devitri, you’re the last person I want to hear any of this from.” I said.

“Why? I’m nothing more than a friend.” I stopped and turned to look at him. I wanted to look straight into his eyes, but he was a pretty tall guy. I had to look up at his eyes instead, and it didn’t make me feel as frightening and serious as I wanted to be. I crossed my arms.

“Let’s get one thing straight. You’re not my friend. You’re just some guy that my dad sent to practically baby me, and you just so happened to have saved my life. I just met you. I still don’t even know who you are! You’re not now nor will you ever be my friend. You’ll just be another Guardian Angel in the shadows. Which if you don’t mind, that’s where I would like you to stay. In the shadows.” I said. I could feel my voice raising and my adrenaline pumping.

“Little sora, please don’t be like this...” said Devitri.

“And that’s another thing! Stop calling me that. I don’t even know what that means. I don’t even know what language that is! Just do me a favor and stay in the shadows where most Guardian Angels like you belong. Don’t talk to me or my friends. Just stay back and keep an eye out for Dark Angels - not that there would be any at this school anyway. How about you do the job that you’re oh so good at, instead of hanging around a bunch of teenagers!” I shouted. I could feel his sudden change in attitude. I began feeling bad about what I said. I could see the hurt in his eyes. I turned and left before any further words could be said.

I was thankful that the rest of my classes went by quickly, and my last class was a study hall today. I was able to sign out and just go straight up to my dorm for the rest of the period. After I signed out, I headed to my dorm. I did a good job of avoiding other people in the hall. I walked into the room and dropped my bag to the floor. I saw Dawn sitting at her computer. She must have had a study hall as her last class too. She turned around in her chair and looked at me. I plopped down onto my bed, laying on my stomach and grabbed a pillow. I put my head into it and screamed. I used to resort to punching mirrors, but I had to stop for obvious reasons. Dawn got up and sat down on my bed. She rubbed my back comfortingly.

“Are you okay, Sky? What happened?” She asked. “You were fine during lunch.” I sat up hugging the pillow. I could feel tears welling up in my eyes.

“I think I did something terrible, and I’m not sure I can fix it.” I said. Dawn gave me her full attention. She was an amazing listener. “I was so angry from getting my a*s kicked left and right in my training class today, that I took it out on Devitri.”

“Oh my. That’s not good. What did you say?” I told her about our conversation, and how I shouted at him. I still couldn’t believe I said those things. He had no idea how my temper was like my friends did. He probably honestly thought I really did hate him. But then again... No. I didn’t hate him. I barely knew him.

“I meant some of those things though, Dawnie. His job is to stay in the shadows, and he’s like what, twenty-one or something? He shouldn’t be hanging around a bunch of teenagers. I don’t even know him and as far as I’m concerned, he probably is trying to get with me. I haven’t figured him out yet. I thought I gave him rules and he was going to follow them.” I said. Dawn was silent. I looked at her. “What is it? Don’t tell me you’re on his side.”

“Skylar, he seems harmless. Just like with Austin, I think you should give him a chance.” She said. I shook my head.

“No. I feel like there’s something he’s hiding, and I would prefer if he just stayed away. If he doesn’t talk to me, I’ll be fine. I’m too curious as it is.” I said. “I think I’m going to take a nap. If I’m not awake by dinner, bring me up a muffin or something.” Dawn nodded and went back to her desk. I laid down on my bed and fell asleep quicker than expected.

I had the same dream I had in Manhattan Beach. It was the same funeral with the same few people. I also noticed a familiar face in the corner of the church. Devitri stood there with the same expression on his face as last time. It was the same exact dream, or maybe it wasn’t. Instead of just standing there, Devitri held out his hand. I debated on whether I should take it or not, but it was a dream. I had no choice. Did anyone not know how to talk in this dream? I took Devitri’s hand and he led me outside of the church. People were standing around dressed in black, weeping and mourning. Most of them were people I knew. Other guardians and friends. My dream still wouldn’t give me any clue as to who died. I began to wonder why Devitri brought me out here. I looked at him. His gaze shifted as if he were trying to tell me something. I followed his gaze to see something I didn’t like. The same build, same hair, same black clothes and even the same sunglasses. What was Roland doing here? He stood against the tree with his arms crossed and that annoying smirk on his face. I was almost surprised to not see him smoking, until I saw a cigarette in his hand. I should have known. I looked back at Devitri who was looking at me. It would be helpful if people would talk so I knew what was going on. The thing about this dream was that I felt as if it were trying to tell me something. As if it were showing me something that happens in the future. I wanted to see more, but it wouldn’t tell me anything more. Especially since I had been woken up. I opened my eyes to see Dawn standing over me, shaking me gently and saying my name.

“Oh good, you’re awake. How are you feeling?” She asked with a smile. I could see a bag in her hands. I was hoping there was muffin in there. It sure smelled like it. I sat up slowly and rubbed my eyes.

“I’m fine. Is that a muffin?” I asked, pointing to the bag. She giggled and handed it to me. I opened it and smiled when I saw what was in it. There had to be at least six chocolate chocolate chip muffins in the bag. I hugged down and set out the napkins on my bed. She sat down on the bed as well. I assumed she bought six so that we could share. I had no problems with that.

As she pulled the wrapper of off a muffin she asked, “Did you sleep well?” I wasn’t sure how to answer that. The dream wasn’t a nightmare. I didn’t wake up screaming. It felt like a peaceful sleep. The dream had felt depressing though, so I wasn’t sure if I had a good sleep or not. I decided to go with the plain and simple answer.

“Yeah, I slept well.” I said. I hadn’t had the time to tell Dawn about the dream in Manhattan Beach, so I wasn’t sure how to tell her about this one.

I wasn’t sure how I was going to tell anyone about it this time...



© 2013 Tanya Lynn Bendily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
Added on April 14, 2013
Last Updated on April 14, 2013


Author

Tanya Lynn Bendily
Tanya Lynn Bendily

New Hartford, NY



About
About me... Hmm... Well, I'm 19 and writing is my passion. I plan to get at least two books published for starters. Hopefully all works out well. I've written at least 5 or 6 so far. Honestly, I'm not.. more..

Writing