Chapter 21

Chapter 21

A Chapter by Tanya Lynn Bendily

The next day, Aunt Lily brought me to the school so that I could change clothes. I walked up to my room and my phone buzzed. I checked it. It was a text from Devitri saying that his plane had just landed. It was about thirty minutes passed one, and he said he would be here soon. That gave me enough time to take a shower, dry my hair and get dressed as fast as I could. Once I was ready, I began heading down to the courtyard when Esme stopped me.

“Headmistress Pearson wants to see you.” She said. “Don’t worry, it’s nothing bad.” I thanked her and walked to the Headmistress’ office.

Headmistress Endora Pearson, also known as Ariane’s aunt, was in her late forties. She had long blonde hair and hazel eyes. She wasn’t a mean lady unless she was angry. You never wanted to make her angry. She could be intimidating when she wanted to be. She was fair skinned, and much taller than most women, but she wasn’t a giant or anything. She wore her blonde hair up in a clip, and glasses slightly on her nose. She wore grey business attire, and sometimes I felt she looked more like a lawyer than a headmistress. I had only been in her office a few times, but it looked the same. White walls, white carpet and a black desk with pictures of her with her family (and ex-husband) on it. I sat down in one of the black chairs. She looked up from the papers on her desk, and gave me a smile.

“Ms. Donovan, it’s nice to see you. I hope you don’t mind this last minute meeting.” She said. I looked at the clock behind her.

“Actually Headmistress, my friend is picking me up in like five minutes.” I said.

“It won’t take very long. I’m here to talk to you about your father’s passing.” I froze and I could feel my heart sinking. That was not something I wanted to talk about. “I know it’s not something you feel like talking about, but now is as good a time as ever. Since he passed, you’ve been living without a legal guardian, right?”

“Yes ma’am.” I answered. Aunt Lily was nice, but she wasn’t a legal guardian. “Why do you ask?”

“Well, because I called your half-brother. Your father left me a letter saying where I could find him, and how I could contact him if there was ever a case like this. He sent it to me last year. Mr. Donovan will be here soon, and he’ll become your legal guardian.” She said.

“Wait, I have a half-brother?” I asked. Endora nodded.

“He’s your father’s son from a different mother.” She said. There was a knock at the door. “That must be him now. Come in.”

The door opened and the first thing I heard was, “Hello little sora.” I turned around slowly. Devitri stood with his side against the doorway, and his arms crossed.

“Ah, Mr. Donovan, welcome. So you know each other already then?” She asked. How could she not know that?

“You could say we’re already the best of friends.” He said. I stood up and walked over to him. I narrowed my eyes at him.

“You’re a Donovan? Why is your last name Jackson then?” I asked. He put a hand on my shoulder.

“Calm down, little sora. Yes, I’m a Donovan but my last name is Jackson because that’s what I changed it to. Well, it’s what my mom changed it to anyway. It’s her maiden name. I didn’t come into contact with our father until I turned eighteen and graduated. He didn’t want me to tell you until he felt you were ready, and well here we are now.” Devitri said. I crossed my arms.

“I suppose this is the part where you tell me what ‘little sora’ means, right?”

“It means little sister in Romanian.” He said. He knew Romanian... “I’m shocked you didn’t figure out we were related after the first day we met. Dad left me the house, so I’ll be living there now.”

“Wait but... What about Lord Nicholas?” I asked.

“He’s fine with it. I still have my job, but it’s mostly if he decides to come and visit or vice versa.” He said. “I’ll be signing the papers tomorrow, even though it would almost be pointless since you’ll be eighteen soon, but it’s just in case. Thank you, Endora. It was great to see you again, and thanks for keeping this a secret.” They both played me... Ugh. Devitri took my hand and we walked out to his car.

“So about the London trip...” I said. He turned to me.

“We’ll get you a passport. You get whatever information we need, and I’ll be happy to join you guys. Maybe Lord Nicholas can lend me his private jet.” said Devitri.

He had a private jet? He was living the good life. Why would Devitri leave all of that to take care of me? He must have cared about me more than I thought. I found myself not being able to wait to tell me friends the great news. I couldn’t believe that I had a brother, and that Lord Nicholas wanted to meet me. My friends and I were going to London for Christmas to try and find some demon hunters, and a cure for Dark Angels. My life was surely more exciting now than it was last year. I couldn’t wait. I went to lunch with Devitri, and it was great. We talked about all sorts of things. He told me about how my father met his mother, and how he managed to come into contact with him after he graduated. Talking to Devitri was amazing. I couldn’t believe all of the things he was telling me. Some of it seemed too good to be true.

After lunch, we met up with my friends at Aunt Lily’s. They were watching tv, and Eric and Wyatt were playing chess. I was so excited to tell them about Devitri. Dawn immediately jumped up and hug me once I told them. Austin probably felt stupid now for thinking that Devitri was trying to steal me away from him, and Eric and Wyatt were just as happy as Dawn. Apparently Lily had known about it this entire time as well. That wasn’t fair. Despite what happened with my father, all of this managed to make me feel alot better. For once in my life I felt truly happy. I felt ready to deal with what life had to throw at me next. 



© 2013 Tanya Lynn Bendily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
Added on April 15, 2013
Last Updated on April 15, 2013


Author

Tanya Lynn Bendily
Tanya Lynn Bendily

New Hartford, NY



About
About me... Hmm... Well, I'm 19 and writing is my passion. I plan to get at least two books published for starters. Hopefully all works out well. I've written at least 5 or 6 so far. Honestly, I'm not.. more..

Writing