Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Tanya Lynn Bendily

I figured that the dinner “date” with Jasper wasn’t really a date, and I tried to find a casual outfit to wear, but then realized that he was also taking me to my favorite restaurant. Which also happened to be a pretty classy place to dine. I finally decided on a black skirt, and a cute light blue blouse. I put my hair up in a ponytail, and slipped on a cute pair of sandals. Dawn eventually came up to the room, and I had to tell her what was going on. She didn’t like the fact that I was going to dinner with Jasper - especially after turning down a movie with Austin - but I had to hear what Jasper had to say. With no further arguments, Dawn let me go (as if she could have stopped me). I met Jasper in the parking lot at his car. As usual, he complimented me on how great I looked, as if it would get me to lighten up a little bit. He had to do a lot more than that to change anything. We got into his car and he drove to the gates. The guards at the gate let us by, reminding us to be back at a reasonable hour. Curfew wasn’t set until classes officially started, but it was still a school night. Getting back early enough so that I could finish my book report, and get a decent amount of sleep was a good idea in my book. The drive on the way to the restaurant was silent. I had a feeling that he was saving all of his good words for dinner. I had to admit that he looked great in jeans and a black dress shirt. The sleeves were rolled up to his elbows, and he wore a matching tie. That was his version of “classy-casual”. I forgot how he liked to do his hair up in a messy fashion. It still looked so soft. I started thinking about Ariane running her hands through his hair, and I didn’t realize my hands balling up into fists slowly. I calmed myself the best that I could. I already wanted this dinner to end, and it hasn’t even started yet.


Jasper pulled up to Chez Pasta. For a classy restaurant, the name was pretty simple (and kind of funny). One reason I loved Chez Pasta was because of its name, and because of their pasta. It was amazing. He walked over and opened my door in the chivalrous manner he always had. It felt like it really was a date, and I almost thought that I would have to keep reminding him tonight that it wasn’t a date, and that he had a girlfriend. Jasper and I walked into the restaurant, and were seated quicker than I thought we would be. Chez Pasta wasn’t that busy tonight. We got seated into a booth. Almost immediately, a waiter walked over and took our drink orders. I didn’t want to drink too much soda today, because I wanted to be able to sleep tonight. So I ordered a water and Jasper was the one to order a soda. Now that we were alone - for now - Jasper cleared his throat. He was about to say something. I could tell he was a bit nervous, because he always cleared his throat before talking when he was nervous. I think he was hoping that I didn’t throw a fork or something at him tonight. When I found out why he dumped me, I threw a book at his face and the corner of it hit his eye. He had a black eye for a week. It was worth it. He set his napkin on his lap and said, “So...”


“Yes?” I asked as I looked at him. What a great conversation starter.


“I know that things ended bad between us.” He said. I was waiting for him to get to the part where he tries to “fix things”.


“I’m sorry I threw that book at you.” I said. I wasn’t exactly sorry, and he knew I wasn’t. He knew he deserved it, but what else was I supposed to say? He wasn’t making this an easy conversation. He chuckled and rubbed his eye (the one it hit, of course).


“Don’t worry about it. I sported it like a man.” Again, what was I supposed to say to that? It was time to stop with the small talk, and get down to business.


“Jasper, the reason we’re here, please.” I said. Our drinks came, and we ordered our food. Once we were alone again, Jasper opened the conversation back up.


“Like I was saying, I’m sorry things ended badly with us. I’m sorry for how I hurt you, and for what I did. I understand if you never forgive me, but if we could just be friends again like we used to, that would be great. I miss us. Not the boyfriend-girlfriend us, but the best friends us. You have to admit that we used to be pretty good friends.” He said. It was true. Before we started dating, Jasper and I were the best of friends. Granted, not as close as Eric and I are, but we were close. I let out a sigh.


“Jasper, I don’t think you fully understand how difficult that’s going to be for me. I can’t just be your best friend again in a heartbeat. You really broke my heart, and you knew Ariane didn’t like me when she got here, and she still doesn’t. She didn’t even like you - at least I thought she didn’t - and you didn’t like her. Clearly I was wrong. i just don’t understand how you could do that to me. Just like that.” I said. I could see in his eyes that he was started to feel sorry. I was pretty good at reading people, especially through their eyes. And Jasper’s eyes said everything. How sorry he was, how angry at himself he was and how hurt he was that he hurt me. He didn’t say anything after that so I said, “I’ll think about it.”


That’s when his eyes lit up.


“Really? Take as long as you need to. I don’t mind waiting. Although soon would be nice. Just please promise me that you’ll think about it.” He said. I nodded.


“I promise I’ll think about it.” I said. Our food finally arrived and we dug in. I was starving since I barely ate any of my lunch. The rest of the dinner was spent in silence or one of us bringing up small talk, or talking about how our summer was. This was going to be a long night.


Jasper and I returned to the school thirty minute before nine. I walked into my room, and Dawn was sitting on her bed reading a book. When she heard the door close, she shut her book immediately. She sat up in her bed.


“Well?” She asked. “How did it go?”

I explained to her the conversation and when I finished I replied, “I told him that I would think about it.”


“I don’t think you should.” I knew that was coming. I rolled my eyes.


“Dawnie, I can’t just go through life holding a grudge for everything.” I said. “I’ll give it some real thought. He told me to take as long as I needed.” She sat back in her bed and opened up her book.


“I still don’t think you should.” She said. I laughed a bit and threw a pillow at her. It was time for me to finish my book report, and get some well deserved sleep.


Classes started up the next morning, and curfew was up and running again. I was pretty fond of my schedule this year. Angels took some classes that humans didn’t (obviously), and most of mine were towards the beginning of the day. That meant that my human classes were more towards the end, so I could spend the ends of my school days with Dawn and Wyatt. My Guardian Angel training class was after lunch, and we had another one scheduled after school once every week. It was whenever our trainer demanded it. The beginning of the day went by slowly, but I was thankful when lunch came around. I met my friends in the courtyard under and appletree. They smiled at me as I sat down.


“Have you thought more about the Jasper thing?” asked Dawn. Eric looked up from the homework he was already starting.


“Jasper? What Jasper thing?” He asked. He was such a worry-wart. I shook my head as I took a bite out of my french fry.


“It’s nothing, Eric. Don’t worry about it. He just wants to try and fix things between us. I told him I would think about it.” I said. Wyatt tsked me and shook his head.


“I don’t think you should. You know better, Skylar.” He said. I gave him a look.


“Who are you? My father?” He looked down at his burger. I sighed.


“I’m sorry, Wyatt. I just wish you guys would let me handle my love life by myself. I like that you guys care and all, but some things I have to do on my own.” I said. They were silent but all nodded. Eric came to a realization.


“So, wait a minute. You blew off Austin, but went with Jasper?” He asked. I groaned.


“I know, I know... I tried to tell Jasper that I had a lot of work to do, but he just kept insisting.”


“You know what you have to do.” said Wyatt. I looked at him.


“Take Austin to the movies.” Dawn chimed in. I looked at her now.


“I don’t want to start leading him on to think I like him that way.”


“Well, why don’t you?” She asked.


“Well... I mean... It’s Austin.” I said. Honestly, that was the only excuse I had. It was pretty pathetic, I know.


“Wow, Sky.” said Wyatt. “That’s low.” That made me feel soo much better.


“Maybe you should give him a chance.” said Eric.


“You’ve been single for awhile now. You should get back out there.” added Dawn. I groaned and put my head on the table. I hated to admit it, but they were all right. I should give Austin a chance, but how can you start a spark if there’s nothing there? Just then, Austin plopped down next to me. I looked at him.


He may have been a bit annoying at times, but he always looked nice. His short blonde hair always looked soft, and his jade green eyes always looked happy. He always smelled good too, and wore nice clothes. Today he was wearing a sky blue v-neck and jeans. The gold cross around his neck glimmered in the sunlight, and so did the diamond stud in his left ear. I wasn’t huge on guys with pierced ears, but guys like Eric and Austin made it work. Both of Eric’s ears were pierced, and it looked great. Austin smiled when he looked at me. His smile was always so charming. Maybe I should give him a chance. He was always so nice, and maybe there was another side to Austin that I haven’t seen yet. He complimented me today as usual. I could tell he was always sincere with his compliments. He truly thought I looked beautiful. Always. I was glad that he didn’t know about me going to dinner with Jasper. His smile told me that he wasn’t mad at me, so there was no way he could have known. Austin looked at Eric.


“Really, Eric? You’re already doing homework? School isn’t even over yet. There’s a reason they call it homework.” He said. A minor setback was that Austin wasn’t always all there. Sometimes his head would go places that no one knew where he was. Usually he missed a lot of classes, and he didn’t always do his work. He would talk nonsense and no one would understand him. No one knew what was wrong with him, really. We tried to avoid it the best that we could. Eric looked back up from his homework.


“Yes, Austin. Because I have other things to do when I get back to my room.” Austin rolled his eyes. He looked back at me.


“So Skylar, how was that book report?” He asked.


“I managed to get it finished. No idea what I got on it though. I’ll have to wait until I get it back.” I said. He smiled.


“I’m sure you did great. A+ for you.” He chuckled. Okay so, he always knew how to make me smile. Even his own smile was contagious at times. And he laugh was wonderful to listen to when you were feeling down. I knew what I had to do.


“So Austin, about that rain check...” I started. My friends looked at me. His smile grew wider.


“Yes ma’am?”


“There’s a movie out that I’ve really been wanting to see, and I’m free tonight if you want to see it.” I said. His smile faded a bit. Oh no, I thought.


“Sky, I would love to but I can’t tonight. My sister’s making me help her ex move out finally. Why she asked me to help him, I’ll never know.” He said. I felt my smile kind of fading a bit as well.


“Maybe it’s because you’re so strong and manly.” said Dawn with a giggle. That made him chuckle, but it was true. His smile returned to its full glory.


“But I’ll tell you what. Are you free tomorrow?” He asked. I nodded. “How about tomorrow night I take you to a movie, and I’ll even add in some dinner at wherever you want to go.” My smile returned.


“I would love that.” I said. I wasn’t sure what I was getting myself into, but I found myself not able to wait until tomorrow night.


When lunch ended, I walked to our training class with Eric and Austin. We still had gym class, but that was once - and sometimes twice - a week anyway. Since school was just starting up again, we didn’t start off with combat lessons. For the first few weeks, we’ll be taught ways to stop the influence, and fend off our opponents. There were freshman here, so we had to go over it every year. It starts to get old once you’ve heard it about a hundred times. Sometimes the upperclassmen would be asked to get up and teach the class. Eric volunteered a few times to get up and teach. Eventually he had to be told to give someone else a chance. Not that anyone else wanted to get up in front of the entire class and start teaching. I certainly didn’t. We went over the basics. Like what Dark Angels were, how to tell if someone was a Dark Angel, and what to do when approached and/or attacked by one. They couldn’t break through light shields or barriers, and couldn’t enter holy places like a church. Holy water made them burn, and crosses fended them off. They were like the vampires and demons of the angel world. It sounds silly, I know, but that’s how things work.


Fending them off was fairly easy. It was killing them that was the difficult part. There were a few ways to kill a Dark Angel. One was fairly simple. We had to shoot a very powerful light orb at their heart, but we had to aim it perfectly. That wasn’t the easiest for some people, and mastering the spell took years. So, maybe it wasn’t so simple after all. Another way was by cutting off their heads, like vampires, but I thought that would kill just about anyone. The last way to kill them was difficult. You had to cut off their wings. That could kill just about any angel. Getting to the wings wasn’t easy, so it was the more difficult method of killing them. You had to be lucky enough to get to their wings. Very few people have been able to cut off a Dark Angel’s wings, and one of them was my father. Your best bet was to stick with the light spell. I sat there in between Austin and Eric, listening to our trainer go over everything. This was going to be a long and boring class.



© 2013 Tanya Lynn Bendily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

loving it :p

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
1 Review
Added on April 13, 2013
Last Updated on April 13, 2013


Author

Tanya Lynn Bendily
Tanya Lynn Bendily

New Hartford, NY



About
About me... Hmm... Well, I'm 19 and writing is my passion. I plan to get at least two books published for starters. Hopefully all works out well. I've written at least 5 or 6 so far. Honestly, I'm not.. more..

Writing