Chapter 3-2

Chapter 3-2

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 3-2


Aunty M helped Wayne put the children to bed, walking down the rooms. “Well Wayne,” Aunty M said looking towards EJ's room, “for a minute there, I thought we were going to have another mess on our hands.”


“What do ya mean Aunty M?”  Pa said taking another peek at EJ sleeping, “everything turned out alright,” as he closed the door to his room.


“Exactly,” slapping him hard on the back, knocking the wind right out of him.


“You know what I mean, how that boy in there hates surprise, especially his own,” she said.


“Yes, I'm whereof that, but don't ya think he's old enough to realize yet the important it is on how much we care about him. Especially now when he needs us the most...” He asked.


“True, but you don't need to push him over the edge to early either, after all, it's only been a year since....”


“I know, but times running short and he has to grow a little and handle what's coming. He can barely handle a little lightning storm these days.” Pa looked back towards his room, “This boy spooked, and I mean spooked bad,” he said. “And who wouldn't be of all things he has seen.”


Aunty M looking back towards the window. Down the hall. “Heck we both know what's out there Wayne so does your boys, but they're handling it a little better than he is at the moment.”


“True,” Wayne watching the shadows on the walls as they walked the hallways of the house.


“I ‘m just saying, be careful that's all. Don't push. We don't need any more problems not now. This no time to be reckless boy, no sir.” Aunty M thinking of Martha and the news she heard today. “Best keep things, loose dear,” Aunty M and Wayne reaching his bedroom door, “don't rock the boat not unless you have to and I mean it, son.”


Wayne sigh's, “you're probably right.”


“Now git, I'll finish up in here head off to bed myself,” shoving him towards his room where his wife is.


Aunty M sighs looked down the hall of the children rooms and out the window of the Downing farm. “Lest it is a quiet night; no storms on the horizon,” pouring herself a glass of fresh milk, taking it to her room and settled in for a nice night as she closed the door. Aunty M whispering. “Storms, oh how I hate them,” drifts off to sleep as the shadows in the room sit by her watching until the rooster crows his soft c**k a doodle do. Aunty M stirs around the room yawns, scratches looking out the window of the farm, then turned towards her table in her room, on the table is a letter.


“Margaret” with a little darkened rose setting by its side.


Thanks for the invite for dinner, Granny and I will be glad to come, we have lots to talk about.


Your Friend Mr. G.”


Aunty M flies out of bed opening the door running down the hall to EJ's room. Opening the door with ease, seeing him just getting up. She sighs with relief as he turned seeing her in the doorway with a strange look on his face as he yawned good morning to her. “I know breakfast is getting cold,” as he scratched his old wound on his arm.


“Yes dear,” she replies and kissed his head walked out of his room. “Now hurry up.”


“Yes Aunty M,” and yawns some more.


Aunty M tucked the note into her purse, looking back towards her room then walked down to the kitchen to help with breakfast. “Well, she did say he would stop by with an answer,” shrugging her shoulders and downing two cups of Joe. Planning her day looking at Martha and the girls at the table. “Martha, how would you and girls like to go into town today and get a bit of fresh air?”


Martha smiles putting down her sewing basket. “Now that sounds like a lovely idea,” she said.


Wayne pull around the buggy, were going town,” replied Aunty M.


“Yes, ma’am.”


Ma sending the boys off to school with a wave and kiss on the cheek. Wayne brought around the buggy while Aunty M made a short list of things to get while they are in town. “Are ya sure that's a good idea?” Wayne asked gazing down at his wife.


Wayne she'll be fine,” as she helped her into the buggy. “We are just going to New Downing for the morning, that's all dear. And she not due for at least another month or so, she could use the fresh air.” As Aunty M wrapped a warm quilt around her.


Wayne. I'll be fine,” Martha said squeezing his hand placing a kiss on his cheek, “I do want to get out of this house.”


“Alright dear,” Wayne glancing back over at Aunty M, wave's goodbye shaking his head walked back into the house with the two small boys.


“Morning Martha, ladies,” Doc replied as they pulled into town...


“Morning Doc Whitmore... How's the boys and Rena?” replied Martha.


“Fine, glad to see you out and about...”


“Glad to be out Doc,” Martha looking at the sky as Aunty M and the girls helped Martha out of the buggy.


“Well now don't overdo it,” shaking his finger at her.


“I won't Doc I promise,” she said as she smiles waving him on down the street.


“Now let's see we need.” Aunty M taking out her list “5 lbs of oranges and 7 
lbs of that,” looking price of flour shaking her head. “Good grief Martha things today people could barely afford them. Go on dear,” Aunty M seeing Ned around the corner Aunty M giving Anna a shove towards the door. “Well go on,” watching her smile back at Ned as he kicked the dirt with his foot. Aunty M gives Ned a wink continues her shopping, “Martha dear I want to talk to you about something,” taking her further inside the store so those two could be alone.


“Hi Anna,” as Ned gets closer, “noticed you were in town,” Ned looking towards the shop.


Anna giggled softly. “Ah huh, we need to do some shopping that's all. What are you doing Ned?”


“Nothen.” as he kicked the dirt a little more trying not to blush. “Nothen much that is... Maybe, maybe I could come over sometime and see ya. That is if ya want me to that is,” he replied kicking the ground with his foot swing side to side.


Anna giggling, “Huh; huh, I would like that Ned.” Ned smiles trying not showing his teeth, “you would?”


Anna slowly bats her eyes. “Ahh, huh.”


“Well hello Ned, how's Granny?” Martha asked coming out of the store with Aunty M behind her and Julie giggling.


“Fine Mrs. Downing.”


“Glad to hear,” Ma watching Anna and Aunty M. “I wanted to thank you for taking such good care of us last summer.”


“Ahh, it twas nothen Mrs. Downing,” Ned glancing over at Anna smiling.


“Oh, but it was dear. We would have never pulled through without you boys and Granny.”


“Thanks, Mrs. Downing, justa doen me job that's ya’l… really. Glad to bein of services,” Ned said while grinning at Anna.


“Say, Aunty M was just telling me how we should have a dinner party to thank you all and ya know she right.”


Aunty M looked at Martha as if she just fell out of a tree, “I am,” she replied.


“Why not? It be just the thing,” looking over at Anna and Ned. “After all, she no dummy when comes to love at first sight. They just need a push in the right direction hers and nobody else's, looking at Aunty M. She can smell a setup for months and she been trying to get Anna to least consider the possibility and maybe slow it down to slow crawl if she can. Plus give her something to do and Aunty M out of her hair for awhile.”


“Say why don't you come by the house for supper say 6 o'clock and have Granny bring that fella of hers, I would love to meet him. What's his name son?” she asked.


“Mr. Golden, Mr. G for short ma’am.”


“Does he have first name son?” Martha asked.


“Not sure, we just call him Mr. G he real particular about his name.”


“I see, well anyway bring him by, well make a party of it.”


“Yes ma’am,” watching him go, waving to Anna as she bats her eyes at him. Julie and 
Ma giggles watching him trip over himself when he looks back shaking their heads.


“Anna whatever you have done to that poor boy he's got it bad,” Ma asked.


“What Ma?” 


As they laugh, “come on we have shopping to do.”



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
Added on February 16, 2019
Last Updated on January 20, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep