Chapter 7-1

Chapter 7-1

A Chapter by Shep

Chapter 7-1


Rose and Rena busy in the kitchen preparing breakfast for everyone while Martha sets the table. Men and boys planning where they wanted to search next making one more stop at Linda's home for a change of clothing for her and Danny. “I was thinking Linda,” as Martha passed down the bacon, “while you and me are in the same boat as it seems. We should put our differences aside get to know each other… better for the boy's sake,” she said placed so more eggs on Danny plate.


“So I decide that best way to do that is for you…..” Pausing as she glanced over at Wayne, “is for you, too come stay at the farm, you Danny and your girls if you would like of course. While the menfolk search for the boys.” Martha replied as Wayne dropped his fork, looked at Martha as if she just lost her mind. Martha quietly walked over to him kissed his cheek placing another biscuit, whispering “give a little dear.” Remembering an old saying keep your friends close and your enemies closer.


Wayne softly cleared his throat taking a hard swallow. “My wife is right Linda… it would be good to have you. Now that's settled, well swing by your place to pick up a few things and the girls and head back to the farm. Leaving the men here to deal with the search while you wait there in hopes they return there.” He replied cautiously as he waited for the other shoe to drop and whispering a soft payer that nothing else goes wrong.


Martha poured herself a glass of orange juice as she looked about the table noticing all eyes are upon her. “Well, where else would he go if he was frightened enough? Not back there. I wouldn't,” as if they all lost their minds with Linda in agreement. “After all he’s not scared of his sisters,” as she gazed back over to Linda who is unsure about that. “He may hate them, and they may not like him or Danny. His Father is a whole different matter all together… and you know it,” Martha crossing her arms daring anyone to say no.


“Now I believe,” Martha said swallowing hard as she looked at Linda across from her. “She has changed, wanting our help and I'm willing to put my differences aside for EJ's sake. After all, she is his mother whether I like it or not, does not change the fact.”


“No dear. I wasn't saying that or even thinking that I’m just saying remember what happened last time?” Wayne replied hoping to change her mind, yet knowing he has already lost the argument before it even started.


“Yes I do,” Martha said watching Linda carefully, “and things will be different. I'm sure of it. We have all changed for the better I think, we will be just fine. Besides Linda will be right there making sure that things remain that way, won't you dear?” 
Martha not sure herself this was a good idea, but whatever it takes to get her sons home where they belong, she was willing to give it a try. 


Linda slowly nods her head to the people in the room having no idea what they are talking about. “Did my girls cause some more mischief that she not a where of?” Linda sigh’s thinking of the trouble they’d must have caused.


“First things first. We need some answer to this mess we are in... So we need to get you all back to the farm,” Wayne intoned.


Linda quickly turns her head towards Martha, “answer to what?” She asked.


“To the problem dear… To our problem. You see I believe you, there is a man he does have red eyes. I saw him myself or a glimpse of him once I think anyway and I believe Aunty M or his Aunt Margaret has the answers to our questions.”


“You do?” Linda shocked, “you actually believe me?”


“Yes dear, now hurry up. We have a lot to do.”


Linda stuffed the food down her as fast she can, not caring. Wiped her chin then Danny's and quickly helped them clear the table as they do up the dishes. Rose and Rena making lists of things, that the men and them or going to need from the store as Linda paced floor watching the clock tick by.


“There's very little time left,” as the weekend winds down thinking of EJ supposedly going home to the Downing’s today. “Now he's missing what is she going tell Mrs. Jennings?” Linda stands over by Martha, “I have another problem,” Pointing to the clock on the wall above the stove. “If we don't find them today and before Mrs. Jennings arrives,” Linda staring down at the floor “what do we tell her? Hopefully not the truth,” looking into Martha's eyes, “they’d never let me see him again,” as tears start to form in her eyes.


“We will think of something Linda, but for now don't give up hope yet. It’s not your fault; it’s that man’s whoever he is and your husbands of course. We just got to find him and soon,” Martha trying very hard not to blame her as well and not break down in tears.


Linda dots her eyes, “I know… I'll try, but it's so hard. I could have done something if I could have gotten there sooner… If only they could have gotten there sooner. Just maybe he still be here,” as she watched the shadows in the room.


“Maybe’s, and if, and could have's… does not help if we wish them,” as Martha put her arm around Linda. “Don't worry Linda, we will find them. My boys are good boys. You can put your faith and trust in them where ever they are. They won't leave his side, not for a minute, you can trust in that. I just wish I knew where they are so I wouldn't have to worry so much.”


Linda loaded Danny into the pickup, then sitting him on her lap as Martha climbed in with Rena and Kollie, Wayne right behind them leaving their three boys with Rose. To continue the search, while they headed back to the farm by first stopping by Linda's place. Linda walked into the house letting her friends in with Danny in her arms as they walked down the hallway to the boy's room, where it all happened, the scene of the crime as it were.


Martha, Wayne looked around the room while Linda dressed Danny. Wayne pulled out his suitcase out of the closet, packing some of Danny clothes. “This where he took him,” Linda pointing to EJ's bed, nearly in tears again, “and when the boys and Mr. Faith entered the room the door… it closed and it was all over. All I heard was the second window breaking and lightning flashing around the room. They were gone when the door opened except for Danny.


“The thing was there was no ladder outside the house. I checked there was no blood. So I know they didn't jump not three of them nor EJ,” shaking her head. “But where could they have gone?”  Linda replies with questions unanswered as she gazed about the room,  “and how could lightening flash inside the house?"


Wayne looked out both the window towards the ground seeing the shards of broken glass. Jim answered shaking his head at the people in the room. “Come to gloat have you? As I told the Doc here, he ran away,” crossing his arms. “Probably run off the lot of them and don't want to be found till their ready,” Jim replied as he looked out the window by the bed pushed away from the window. 


Linda stood in front of him staring him down, “who's the blame for that if they did run away…Jim?” Grabbing Danny then pushing him out of the way as Wayne grabs his suitcase headed for the living room, waited for Linda.


Jim followed her into the bedroom, “I'm leaving Jim, I am taking the kids and leaving, we’re going to the Downing's Farm for a while in hopes they will show up there. While you get your act together,” Linda said pulling her suitcase out of the closet. “Since they are only ones that believe me,” as she left him standing there. Marching straight to the girl’s room where they are playing with their dolls out of the way. Linda closed the door, “girls we're leaving this house, all of us,” grabbing their suitcase from the closet.


“Go where "MAMMA?" Peggy asked as they watched her pack their things.

 

“We're going to the Downing's,” watching the girls faces turn pale before her eyes.


“We can't, not there “MAMMA!!” Oh please not there.” They cried and pleaded.


“Why not?” Their mother asked placing jeans in each of there suitcases. The girls turned to face each other then looked down at the floor not answering for that would divulge lies that they have told come to light.  “I thought so,” as they hung their heads. “Well a little hard work never hurt anyone if that's all your afraid of, and you are still grounded.”


Linda handed each of them a suitcase opening the door as she followed them out of their room. “Alright I believe we're ready,” Linda said looking around the place once more and down the hall giving Jim a hard stare.

Wayne turned to Jim, “I’ll be by later to help with those windows. I believe Stringum has extra ones in the back just that size. Then you can help me look for the boys,” leaving him standing there as they all leave the house closing the door behind him.


They load all the suitcases in the trunk of the car headed back to the farm. The girls watching every movement that Wayne makes sitting in the back seat with them. As he stares out the window looking down the road, hoping to catch a glimpse of his boys, too much in deep thought to even care what’s going on in Linda’s daughter’s minds.

Linda also watched the sides of the road for the boys as they reached the farm as the clock ticks down. They all pulled into the farm. Aunty M and the girls came rushing out of the house to greet them hoping to see the boys, finding Linda, Danny, and his sisters instead. Give their Ma a worried look as Pa and Kollie pulled out the suitcases brings them into the house. Aunty M giving a hard stare at Linda and the girls, "Martha what in the heck's going on?” She asked.

“Let’s get settled first while I'll make some nice strong tea because I believe you got some storytelling to do,” Martha replied as Aunty M gives Linda a questioning nod.

Aunty M shows Linda and girls the guest's rooms up the stairs, why she puts Danny’s things away in his room with Ted and Sam sending him off to play with them. Julie and Anna keeping a close eye on the girls, trying to be friendly, help them put their things away. “We don't need any help thank you!!” as Peggy closed the door on them.

Julie and Anna just shrugged their shoulders, “something's never change do they?” Looking at the closed door and walked away leaving them be.

“Hateful and spiteful as ever I see,” Anna said looking back. “I wonder why Ma decided to bring them here again?” She whispered as they walked down the hall.

Julie shrugged her shoulders, “I have no idea,” passing Linda's room.


Linda overheard the two sisters talking as they passed by. “So that's what's been going on,” as she looked down the hall where the girls are. Linda opens the door to their room then closing the door behind her. Linda folded her arms across her chest. “Alright girls, I have had just about enough of this ruddiness that I'm going to take. We have been invited to stay here and you are going to be on your best behavior, do you hear me your best?” Staring them both in the eye.


“But mother they...” Peggy tries giving her excuses but was cut off.


“But what… put you to work… so what, “according to what she been told by their grandmother. “Good for them. Just what you needed I’m sure,” looking both straight in the eye. “Now listen to me you two, you will mind, you will behave, not one single twitch of remark. If Martha and her family ask you to do something you do it… You hear me?” Their mother holding their chins up so they know she means business.


“Yes, mother.” They sourly replied.


“One other thing girls, I want you to apologize to Martha and her family for giving them such a hard time,” Linda holding her ground.


“You got to be joking… apologize?” As the girls looked shocked as if their mother has lost her mind.


“I'm not kidding girls, I mean it,” placing her hands on her hips, “and I want you to mean it, every word.” She opened the door and left them standing there. Walked down the stairs to join the group in the living room; “sorry I took so long,” as she enters the room.


Martha calmly poured her a cup of tea. “Its alright Linda, we know how strange it is and all,” Martha patting her hand. “Now then” nodding to Aunty M, “as we said before, we think you might have or part of the answer to our problem.” Martha watched the clock as Linda tells her side of the story again watching Aunty M face turn ghostly white.


Aunty M slowly glanced towards the top of the stairs holding her cup of tea as it shook in her hand, being aware of the shadows in the room. They seemed cold as she thinks where to begin or if she can; watching Linda and Martha take another sip then setting it down. “I do know the man you are referring to. His name is Morgan. How he got lose? I do not know. Where he took EJ? I have no idea or where he is now. Now for the boy’s, that’s a question I’m not sure I can answer, but I might know someone that can.” Aunty M takes another sip of her tea. “What I’m about to tell you will surprise you, but I'll tell what I can, it may or may not help at all.”



© 2020 Shep


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 17, 2019
Last Updated on January 20, 2020


Author

Shep
Shep

Santaquin, UT



About
Updated January 17, 2020 In short I am a Male 52 years of age and Permanently Disabled due to a car accident and suffer from seizures and Sever PTSD. So I have a lot of time on my hands. One of .. more..

Writing
StarLight StarLight

A Book by Shep


StarLight Poem StarLight Poem

A Chapter by Shep


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Shep