Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by Smitten Drive

Chapter 7

Later on that Evening...

It was about five o'clock and I hadn't done s**t all day. Josh went to bed right before we left and I decided I was going to go home tonight. The shrooms took all my energy out of me. I wasn't up to doing anything but sleeping. I brought Jessica home because she said she felt the same way. Once I got her to her house she kissed me on the lips and said good-bye, but the whole morning was pretty uneventful. I smoked cigarettes and talked to Jessica all day. I was so worn out.

I was so happy when I got home I was so relieved, the ride seemed like it took forever. I was lookeding forward to spending the whole week over at Joshes staying fucked up, but as hard I tried I couldn't find a reason to stay tonight. Perhaps I'll go back over tomorrow night. I walked in and my mom was sitting on the couch almost passed out watching television. Normally her drunkeness annoyed me but I kind of felt sorry for her today.

"Hey mom." She just kind of looked at me. "You feeling okay?"

"Yeah, I'm trying to stay sober for a few days because today I woke up with the worst hang over ever."

"I'm sorry I hope you feel better." I said, as I started to walk down the hallway yo my room.

"Hey." She raised up her hand for me to stop. "My friend Betty called and said that if you want she has an opening down at the antique store....if you want it."

"Okay...I'll think about it."

"Well make sure you go see her before she closes at nine today."

"Mmhm." I walked into my room and shut the door.

I looked in my wallet and saw that I only had twenty dollars left to my name. The only reason I've had money was because I sold an old guitar amp to some guy for a little over one-hundred dollars. I was just about compltely out and I needed gas. I thought about the job for a second and I decided that even though it would take up more time that I could be spending with Jes and Josh. I'll have more money and it might be nice to not have to deal with teenagers and stuff for a little while.

I really wanted to just lay down and go to sleep for the rest of the day and night. I actually was tempted to just say forget the job and sleep. I was really tired but I knew what I had to do. I grabbed my keys, wallet, and phone and headed out the door. I said good-bye to my mom and left right out the door.

Some clouds were starting fill in the sky. It was going to rain, there was no doubt about it. I really hope it didn't rain before I got back home. The rain along with the lack of energy with absolutely put me to sleep. The antique shop was about fifteen minutes away from my house, which wasn't to bad. My phone starting ringing so I looked to see who it was and it an old friend of mine, Justin. He was the one I sold the amp to and we used to hang out and get high together back in the day. He started to get into some of the wrong crowds though. After awhile of smoking weed, it wasn't enough for Justin. I heard that he was doing Meth and stuff like that. I ignored the phone call. I really wasn't up to talking on the phone at all. I threw the phone on the passenger seat and pulled into the parking lot of the shop. There was two cars in the whole parking lot. The building was on the edge of town. Close enough so it had traffic on the road, but far enough so it was still surrounded by woods. I got out of the car and decided I was going to finish my cigarette before I went in. The antique shop was a log building that was really old. It had a staircase that led up to a rap-around porch. There were old rocking chairs and benchs filling up the porch. There was a pretty big sign on the edge of the road, but not a single one on the store itself.

I walked inside and the place had very dim lighting. I saw a young couple looking around at the old furniture section. The shop was stuffed full of random things. Everything from chairs, checker boards, old potato sacks, dressers, clothes, hats, and so much more. Most teenagers would probably think this is lame, but I was really amused. It was pretty cool. I saw a lady sitting behind the counter. I assume that must be Betty. She had long brown hair that looked like it hadn't beenbrushed in a very long time. The looks of the store would of made me think that an old woman owned it, but this girl was probably in her thirties. She wore a red-plaid shirt and pair of tight denim jeans. She lookedup from her paper work and saw me. She waved at me and smiled.

"Ian!" She motioned for me to come over.

"Hey Betty." I shook her hand. "My mom told me that you had a job for me?"

"Mmhm, I sure do." She walked upstairs and motioned for me to follow.

I walked up the stairs following her. The upstairs wasn't as big as the store below but wasn't small by any means. The upstairs was just as dimly lit as the downstairs. There was an old television with an antennae on it. I guessed it only had one channel, because the knob was broken off. There was a table with a bunch of papers and a deck of cards. Betty sat down and pulled out a chair for me to sit.

"Shouldn't we be down there in case that couple wants to buy something?" I asked her.

"There is a bell down there, it will be alright." She was still looking at a set of papers when she said it.

"Oh so when would I be working?"

"Well it's going to vary eack week." She finally put down the papers and looked at me. "You will be working alone and I'll pay you at the end of every week....Any questions?"

"Does anyone else besides you and me work here?"

"Nope, it's been just me for awhile, but I just met a guy and I want to spend some time with him. I'll just schedule you for the days I dan't work." She smiled

It sounded like a pretty good job to me. Someone downstairs had rang the bell downstairs.

"Coming!" Betty yelled. "Just give me a call tomorrow and I'll have your schedule ready."

I walked downstairs and that couple was standing at the counter with a few things. I was actually pretty excited to work alone. The place wasn't very busy which means I didn't have to deal with a lot of people. This job was easy and I'm glad I chose to get it.

I got out to my car and saw that Justin had texted me. It read: Hey man, I got some good green I need to sell if you want some. I actually was thinking about picking up a little for tonight. I was on my way to Justin's and I figured I would stop and get some gas. I went to the same gas station near the park that Jessica and I had went to the other day. I was kind of worried I was going to see that old man but he was nowhere to be seen.

I got out of the car and walked inside. The same teller was there as well. I went to back and got a coke-a-cola. I paid for the drink and the gas. I started pumping my gas and I felt a raindrop on my arm. I looked up and ofcourse I got one in my eye. I let my gas pump and I got in the car. I took some Hydrocodons and looked at my phone. Justin had said just to meet him at his house. Which was good considering I assumed that's what I was going to do anyway. My gas was done and I was glad. I just wanted to get the weed and go home. I was tired and I never felt like doing much when it was raining. I continued on down the road, luckily Justin's house was near the park. I got to his house and walked up to the door. Justin answered the door and gave me the weed with one hand, I gave him the money with the other hand. He said thank you and shut the door. What a weird guy, he didn't even say hi. I got to the car and looked at the little bag he gave me. I bought a dimebag, which would break up into four normal joints or two big ones. I was so excited to go home. I turned up the music, I had completely forgotten all about music the whole time I was out. One of Jes's mix CDs started playing. It reminded me of the past few days and how close Jes and I had gotten. I couldn't help but smile.

I went home and told my mom about my new job. She was very happy for me. It felt good to have done something in which made my mom proud of me. Not very often do I get a big hug out of her. I went into my room and lit a cigarette. I rolled the weed I got into three joints. One really big joint and two small joints for myself. I waited until my mom fell asleep, which didn't take very long. She was passed out cold in about twenty minutes. I put on some music and lit one of the small joints. Usually when I'm high I get lost in deep thought, but this time I was so tired my brain was just sort of lost. I smoked the joint pretty fast and hard. I laid in bed and listened to the music in the background. I removed my shoes and got under the covers, not even caring that I was still in my clothes. I was high and tired, so I fell fast asleep.

I woke up at about one o'clock in the afternoon. I didn't think I would sleep long considering I went to bed around nine o'clock last night. I guess I was just really tired. I went out into the kitchen to get a cup of coffee and my mom was up and cleaning the house. I had to stop and take a second look because normally the house was pretty messy when my mom was always drunk. I suppose she serious about not drinking as much anymore. I was proud of her...I really was.

I went back into my room and drank my coffee with a cigarette. I looked out the window next to my desk and guessed that it was pretty damn hot today. I didn't really want to hang out with Josh today, I was kind of enjoying the relaxation that I was feeling. I took some Hydrocodons and called Jessica. I waited for about six rings but no one answered. I was kind of hoping she would call back. I got in the shower, shaved, and got dressed, still no call. I was kind of sad but I figured that she was probably doing something important. So I didn't let it bother me.

My mom left for work and the house seemed unusally quiet and clean. I decided rather than sitting around today I was going to go for a walk through the woods to smoke my joint.

I followed this trail that Josh and I used to play on when we were kids. As the weed altered my mind, the day just got better and better. The woods seemed especially beautiful today. The trees were all separated, instead of crowded like in Joshes woods. Every once and awhile I would walk through a spot where the sun poked through the trees. The hot, bright rays made me smile. I was really hoping Jessica could have been there with me. I decided that the big joint I was going to save for her and I. When were smoking it I was going to walk with ehr down this trail, it had to be a nice day like this though inorder for it to be as good. The trail didn't lead out anywhere special, in fact it just kind of stopped suddenly. I was almost done with joint so I figured I would head back towards the house.

I got back to the house and called the Shop. I didn't bring my phone with me because I hated disruptions when I was getting high ina peaceful manner. Betty gave me my schedule, she had me working four out of the next seven days. My first day was tomorrow. I'm no going to lie, I was pretty damn excited. I had one job at Subway with Josh before but I hated it. Everyone was picky and rude. Just not my cup of tea at all.

When I got back from the walk, I noticed that I missed a call from Chuck. I was really really curious of why he called but I'm not sure I want to find out. I stood there with the phone in my hand debating what to do. Finally I realized that he was my relative and as mad as I was at him, I still loved him. I decided to call him back.

The phone rang a couple times then he answered. "Hello?" He answered.

"Hey...I'm calling you back." I said with stern voice. I wanted to let him know I still wasn't happy.

"Ian! How are ya buddy?" He tried to sound real friendly.

"I'm fine, what do you want man?"

"Calm down there boy...no reason to be hostile." He coughed hard, he was obviously getting high. "Were those shrooms good man?"

"Yeah they were."

"Look man I'm sorry about the other night and I have a favor to ask you and it would mean a lot to me if you will do it." I didn't say anything so he just continued. "Ummm...I have to do some business in your area. I was wondering if you will come with me for directions....and just to keep me some company man."

I thought for a minute. He asked if I was still there, but I ignored it. "...I guess so man."

"Thanks so much man." Chuck sounded really grateful.

"Is any of this business going to get me in trouble?" I asked.

"Nah man, it has to do with drugs, but if anything happens I'll take the complete blame...I wouldn't do that to you man." I heard Chuck's roommate or boyfriend, whatever he is, in the background. He said something about coming to the bedroom. "Alright man well I have to go. I'll pick you up at nine tonight." He hung up.

I was getting kind of sick of people hanging up and shutting doors in my face. It seemed no one in the drug world was friendly anymore. I played guitar most of the day and ate a bunch of food. I started writing a new song, I knew that Josh was going to like.

I got done around eight o'clock that night. I was kind of worried about going out with Chuck. If mom knew that I was going to hang out with him, then she would cry and have a damn cow. I'm glad she has to work late tonight. I sat outside and smoked cigarettes until chuck got there. He pulled up a few minutes early. I stood up to walk towards the car but for some reason he got out of the car. He looked a lot better than he did the other night. Chuck was wearing a nice button-up shirt with a good looking pair jeans.

"So you ready man?" He asked with a pleasant smile.

"Yeah, lets just get out of here." I didn't want anyone to see that Chuck was her and that I was leaving with him.

As he drove off he looked at his cell phone a couple times, but other than that it was an extremly awkward ride. Chuck gave me a folded piece of paper. I opened it up, not even sure what to expect. It had two different addresses on it.

"What do you want me to do with these?" I looked at them with confusion.

"Tell me how to get there." He laughed.

"Oh well take a left two streets ahead and that’s the first road you have on here."

"Damn...that was easier than I thought it would be."

I wasn't sure what to think of this whole thing. When Chuck arrived at the first house, I asked him what he was going to do to this guy. He just said that he was going to sell him some pot. I was expecting him to beat the s**t out of someone. He grabbed a backpack from the backseat andopened up his door. He motioned for me to come as well. I really didn't want to, I don't like going to people's homes I didn't know. I wasn't about to argue with him though. I walked with him up to the door. The house was a dark yellow two story house. The paint was shipping away and the windows were almost so dirty that you couldn't see into them. I also noticed that the grass hadn't been cut in probably like two or three weeks. There was a little red and blue tricycle in the front yard, so assumed that a kid lived here. Eventually a guy answered the door. He was an average sized guy, but extremely pale and skinny. He had short, spiky black hair with black pants and a black shirt. This guy looked like a tool. He smiled though and seemed nice enough.

The guy invited us in and shook my hand. He introduced himself as Paul. The inside of Paul's house was the complete opposite of what I thought it would be. I mean it wasn't anything special but it was clean and even a little cozy feeling. Chuck was actually smiling and talking to the guy. Paul invited Chuck and I to have a seat. I sat down and noticed that Paul was watching the same type of shows that Josh likes so much. Those shows on animal planet with a monotone narrorater. The show was all about polar bears and other artic animals.

Paul handed Chuck a huge bag of money. "Sixteen-hundred dollars for my man Chuck."

"Good guy." Chuck opened up the backpak and pulled out a huge brick of pot. "One pound of the best weed for my man Paul."

"You guys going to stay and smoke a blunt with me?" Paul asked as he pulled out a cigar and cut open the bag of weed.

Chuck looked at me to see if I was cool with it. I was surprised he even bothered to take my feelings into consideration. "Sure man, sounds good to me." I said.

Paul pulled out a big chunk of weed and started breaking it up. As soon as he cut open the bag the whole house was completely filled with the wonderful smell. Chuck and Paul were talking about different kinds of pot they have smoked and stuff lately. I just kind of looked around and examined the place. Paul had an ashtray on the table so I didn't bother asking about smoking. I pulled out a cigarette and lit it. For some reason this cigarette tasted better than any other has ever tasted. Perhaps it could be because I was so stressed and worried about this trip with Chuck, which so far was actually pretty cool. I didn't feel awkward at Paul's house at all.

Paul used his lighter to toast the blunt nice and tight. It was huge, it must have big around as my thumb and about six inches long. I'm used to smoking joints, I just like the taste of rolling papers better than blunts. He lights it up and that’s when I knew I Was going to get completely stoned. The smell that the weed gave off was almost tropical scented. Mmmmmm.

All three of us sat there and passed around the blunt and laughed and had a good time. Paul was telling us stories of how his ex-wife was trying to make his life miserable but it wasn't really working. She would get even more pissed off when he didn't. The blunt hit really hard too. The first three times I hit I coughed so much I thought I was going to die. Luckily I didn't. We must of smoked that blunt for at least forty-five mintues, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an hour.

When we were done Chuck and I said our good-byes to Paul and gave him some hand shakes and stuff. We walked out the door, I waved one more time. I was so ridiculously high, I'm pretty sure I was the highest I've been in awhile. I think it might have something to do with the Hydrocodons, but I also felt really great and nice. Chuck and I got in the car and he started it up and we sat for a minute until the air-conditioner cooled down. Chuck's car was pretty old, so old in fact that it didn't even have a CD player. We sat there for a minute and laughed at absolutely nothing at all. I laughed so much that I got a cramp in my side. It was now dark outside and I was so glad I wasn't driving. I was way to high to drive, let alone at night. I sure hoped that Chuck was okay to drive. He didn't look worried though so I wasn't.

I noticed that the next address was on Justin's road. I told Chuck how to get there bit by bit. On the way we talked a little bit. He told me that this next stop he wanted me to stay in the car because it might not be as pretty as this last one. He told that this next guy is suppose to sell drugs for Chuck's roommate. He never sells it all, which wouldn't be a problem but usually he doesn't have all of the leftover drugs either. Chuck told me that apparently he has been warned many times and if he f***s up again then he is going to be very happy. To be completely honest I didn't really care that much. I was way way to high to think about anything mean or violent. Not for me.

"Hey Chuck man." I said. "You wouldn't want to do a favor for me would ya?"

"Sure man, what is it?" He smiled and looked at me.

"I'm kind of craving a cig, but I'm fresh out of cigarettes and money." I was a little nervous about asking at first. Then his face brightened right back up.

"Oh s**t man." He rubbed my hair real quick. "I gotcha....In fact, I'll stop right here."

He pulled over into the gas station that I always go to as well. He gave me some money and told me to get whatever I want. Then we went in and went our separate ways. I got a nice big Snickers candy bar. I had the munchies pretty bad, I also realized right then that I had cotton-mouth like a b***h. So I went and got a soda on my way up to the counter. I looked around for Chuck but I couldn't see him. So I just guessed he was inthe bathroom or something. I walked up to the counter and there was some teenage kid that looked like he hated his life behind the counter. I told him I needed two packs of Cowboy Killers. The kid knew what I meant. I took out the twenty bucks that Chuck had given me and I still got like over five bucks in change back. I would probably ask for some pot when Chuck dropped me off. I grabbed my stuff and immediately opened my drink. I got in the car and waited for Chuck to get out. I gobbled down the candy so damn fast. I was even hungrier than expected. By the time Chuck finally got out of the bathroom I had already started smoking my cigarette and was done with the candy.

We pulled off, the gas station wasn't far at all from our destination. I asked him that it the guy didn't have what he was suppose to how it was going to be handled. Chuck just said that he lets he roommate deal with it. We pulled onto the road and all of a sudden we turned into Justin's driveway. WTF!?

"This is the guy that sells drugs for you?!" I exclaimed.

"Not for me, but yeah." He said very casualy. Then he gets out and shuts the door before I could say anything else.

I saw the door open before Chuck even reached the front steps. Justin walked outside, he still lived with his parents and I don't think Chuck knew that. Come to think of it, Chuck didn't even know Justin's name. Justin looked quite scared. He gave Chuck some money, but neither one of them looked very happy at all. Chuck raised his shoulders to a few of the questions Justin was asking. Then I saw Chuck walking back and Justin was still trying to talk to him. Then what I was scared of happened...Justin looked in the car and saw me. He looked right at and shut-up as soon as he realized who I was. We drove off and Chuck didn't look happy at first, but then he turned to me and smiled.

"Just like I thought would happen, he doesn’t have enough money or any drugs leftover." He looked at his cellphone again. "Not my problem though, this is our night out." He put his arm around me and gave me a nudge. "Hungry?"

"Come to think of it, I still got the god-damn munchies." We both laughed. The snickers bar didn't nearly begin to fill me up.

Chuck pulled into a Waffle House. I love eating at Waffle House because they have great food, you can smoke inside, and you get free refills on coffee. As we walked inside I noticed there only two other people there. They were both truckers sitting on each end of the bar, reading newspapers and drinking coffee. There was a soft jazz song playing from the jukebox. We sat down at a booth in the corner. We looked at the menus and I knew what I going to get right away. I was going to get some Hashrounds with two sunny-side up eggs and a big piece of sausage. Chuck got a big egg and bacon sandwhich with hashrounds as well. The waitress who looked as if she was addicted to crack took our orders and got out drinks right of the bat. Chuck and I both got coffee, I was still really surprised that I was having this much fun with him.

"So what's going to happen to Justin?" I asked, not really caring, but wanting to start some type of conversation.

"I don't know." He sipped his steaming coffee. "I'll let my roommate deal with him."

"Oh." I took a sip of my coffee, but it burnt my tongue. There was no way it was cool enough to drink. "He your roommate like your partner, because onthe phone I heard him-"

"-Say something about coming into the bedroom?" Chuck finished my sentence, I was relieved I didn't have to say it. "Nah man, he was just telling me that I left his room a mess when I was in there. He telling me to get my a*s in there and clean it up." He drank from his coffee again. I don't how he could drink his coffee when it was so hot.

"Oh okay....I didn't mean to uhh...offend you or anything."

"Don't worry about it Ian, none taken."

The waitress brought our food and she put it down on the table and refilled Chuck's coffee. She gave us a fake smile and told us to enjoy.

"Look Ian...I know I haven't been very good to you at all....Especially the other night. I didn't say anything, but I almost said damn right. "I'm not trying to butter you up for anything by giving you all this tonight. I just simply and trying to make up for all the s****y things I have done. I can't lie that I do drugs and sell them. I work for my roommate and he makes meth. I do the business outside of the house and he pays me and lets me live there for free." He takes a few bites of his food. I was eating the whole time he was talking. "I hope you forgive and we can start new again."

I looked at him and he had tru sincerity in his eyes. He really looked like he meant everything he said. "Man...the past is the past." I took a sip of my coffee. "Let's start all over man."

Chuck smiled and we both sat there and enjoyed our breakfast at around midnight. I was still really high and the food was hitting the spot perfect. I didn't even finish all of my food, but I was completely full. As I sat there and smoked a cigarette with my coffee, I remembered that I had to wrk in the morning. I almost forgot to tell Chuck that I had gotten a job. He said he very proud of me and stuff. He agreed that we should probably get me home after we were done eating. The Shop didn't open until noon, but I still wanted to be good and rested.

On the drive home Chuck pulled out a decent size bag of pot. It must have been at least a quarter-bag. He handed to me and said that this was my payment for helping him and keeping him company tonight. I wasn't going deny it. I was actually going to buy a little bit off from him anyway, now I don't have to. He dropped me off at home and I went straight inside. I was really hoping that mom was asleep, because I was still really high. She was, I washappy about that. I went into my room grabbed some clothes and took a shower. After that I passed out in my bed in a matter of minutes. I was tired, and I was really glad I chose to go with Chuck tonight. Maybe he has truly changed...I hope so anyway.



© 2010 Smitten Drive


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on April 22, 2010
Last Updated on April 22, 2010


Author

Smitten Drive
Smitten Drive

Richfield, Eastern, United States Minor Outlying Islands



About
Wrting for no one else other than myself. I fill paper with ideas and stories buried deep within my ever-spinning mind. Most call me Mark Wetherby and I have a love for writing and music. I surely .. more..

Writing