Two: Happy Anniversary

Two: Happy Anniversary

A Chapter by Tina Bee

Day break came and Violetta remained in labor. She wasn't fully dilated, but her water had broken on it's own.

 

Sonny was texting me non-stop with updates while I sat in the garage waiting for Amber and Crystal to come over so we could head out to pay our homage to a dead girl.

 

Liam cooed softly in his stroller while he sucked on a pacifier. Because mom was at the hospital and Arthur was working hard at the basket store I was without a babysitter.

 

I could hear them both coming up the driveway, sweating and panting. Crystal pushed the stroller with Lizzie, her baby girl who was only two weeks older than Liam.

 

Lizzie was gorgeous because she looked exactly like Crystal with brownish blondish colored hair which already went down her back. The only thing that differed was Lizzie had blue eyes instead of green like Crystal's. She wasn't that big and I could already tell Liam would trump over her in a couple months when they started walking.

 

"Sorry we took so long," Crystal said, "I had to hitch a ride with Robbie and he dropped us off at Amber's."

 

Robbie and Crystal had been together forever so it wasn't hard to believe that he would work to support his leading ladies.

 

"It's ok, do you guys want something to drink?" I asked, going to the refrigerator mom had set up in the garage.

 

"Anything for me," Amber said and her eyes went immediately to Liam, "his eyes are super green!"

 

"Yes they get greener by the day," I said as I tried to ignore her statement.

 

"Blond hair with green eyes, isn't that something, Crystal?" Amber asked, but I couldn't turn to see Crystal's reactions.

 

"He's gorgeous, that's all I know," Crystal answered and I knew I could count on her to not mention anything about Liam's lack of pigment.

 

It was true, my baby resembled my mother's side which was completely Caucasian. His father had such strong features that they prevailed over mine. Anyone would have to be a fool to not know my boy's father was white. Why Amber kept pointing this out was beyond me.

 

"Thank you," I said, turning around with bottles of Gatorade in my hand.

 

"I made sure to put sunblock on Lizzie," Crystal said, "do you want me to apply some to Liam?"

 

"Yea, sure, thanks," I said.

 

"I called Whitney this morning and she said the bedroom is ready," Amber said, "we just have to let the afternoon maid answer the door for us."

 

"Does that usually take long?" I asked, not wanting to miss the birth of my new family members.

 

"For the maid to answer the door," Amber asked me as if it were a ridiculous question.

 

"Yes," I answered it.

 

"No, not usually," she answered just as her phone rang.

 

I watched as Crystal applied the sun block to Liam who sat there, fascinated watching her.

 

"His skin is so pale I know he'd just burn up," Crystal said to me with a smile.

 

"I didn't realize that, probably because I rarely have that problem," I said and we both laughed.

 

"Did I miss something?" Amber asked as she slid her phone back in her purse.

 

"No, just a mommy joke," Crystal answered her.

 

"Oh, then I wouldn't get it," Amber said looking down at Lizzie who was fiddling around with the hat that Crystal had put on her.

 

"Nope," I answered as we all walked out the garage and in the scorching sun that imitated the Mojave desert.

 

The walk to the Clovers residence proved arduous if not downright dangerous. I didn't watch the weather report the night before, but it was sizzling. Luckily Liam had cover underneath his umbrella, but I could see through the plastic tarp that he was miserable.

 

"It's only a block further," Amber called to Crystal and I.

 

Somehow she had taken on the role as scout leader.

 

"She isn't going to direct us this entire trip, will she?" I whispered to Crystal who giggled.

 

We did make it to the house, but it took almost fifteen minutes for them to answer the door.

 

"I didn't think this would be an issue," Amber said.

 

I was feeling the sun's heat pretty badly and there was no shade for us to stand under while we waited for the maid. I almost turned around and went home.

 

An elderly lady, in her late seventies, finally answered and she look displeased with what she saw.

 

"Mrs. Clovers alerted me that there would be guest, but she didn't say there would be babies. Please leave the strollers outside," the woman said before letting us in.

 

"How would that be an issue?" I asked as I passed her.

 

Liam clung to my arm as I picked him up. He then proceeded to stare wide eyed at the woman who's face went from sour to cheerful.

 

"I suppose it is not," she said, correcting her attitude.

 

"We know our way around," Amber spoke up, "we won't be any trouble."

 

"Good," the woman answered and turned back to Liam, "is he yours?"

 

"Yes, this is my son," I said proudly.

 

"I could just eat him up," the woman said and Liam smiled at her and then buried his face into my shoulder.

 

"He's a cutie," Amber said, but I didn't like the way she said it.

 

"Alright, I'm off to dust the house, when you're ready to leave just open the front door," she said to us before turning and walking into the living room.

 

We all shook our heads as we started up the spiraling staircase. I could feel Eliza's presence heavily in this house and contemplated leaving and never coming back.

 

"This feels weird," Crystal said and Amber nodded in agreeance.

 

"It's like she never left," I said.

 

We made it to a hallway that went off into two directions.

 

"That way is the master suite and attic," Amber said, "this way holds all the guest bedrooms."

 

"For a house so large I would think they'd spread the bedrooms out," I said making my displeasure of the housing accommodations known.

 

"They modeled this house as one for a large family," Amber said.

 

"Thank you, Miss Real Estate Agent," I said as I wiped the sweat from Liam's brow.

 

"Let's just get this over with, I'm getting the chills," Crystal said, buffering the friction between Amber and I.

 

We walked a little ways and then Amber stopped.

 

"Here it is," she spoke, but it wasn't necessary.

 

A circular shaped brown plaque with red lettering clearly announced that this was Eliza's quarters. Amber grabbed the handle and turned the door open.

 

"Here we are girls," Amber said trying to lighten the mood.

 

One year ago today Eliza was kidnapped and murdered. The afternoon after her funeral I'd promised her aunt, Whitney Clovers, that the girls and I would come by on her anniversary to pack her stuff up. All those months ago the task seemed minimal, but now the room loomed before us.

 

"It's now or never," I said and Liam and I made the first step into the room.

 

We were greeted by a prophet.



© 2009 Tina Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

That's a real cliff hanger ending: We were greeted by a prophet. It was nice of Myra and Amber that they were keeping their promise.

Excellent chapter.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

382 Views
1 Review
Added on November 11, 2009


Author

Tina Bee
Tina Bee

Sacramento, CA



About
My new book, "The Brighter Side of Low" is now up for viewing. Read it today and new chapters have been added as of July 1, 2013. More chapters coming soon! I've completed my second book titled, "A.. more..

Writing
As We Knew It As We Knew It

A Story by Tina Bee


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Tina Bee