Twelve: Success

Twelve: Success

A Chapter by Tina Bee

“He isn’t worth all the energy that you’re putting into him,” mom scolded me with Liam in her arms.

Just hours earlier I’d beaten up Cadence, the one woman who stood between me and the love of my life: Greg.

“My son deserves to have his father in his life,” I rebounded.

 

“Liam is too young to even know who is father is anyways,” Mom said, turning to the pot of boiling spaghetti noodles.

 

“I got her good, didn’t I?” I said to mom, laughing as spoke.

 

“How is this funny? You’ve made a spectacle of this family once again,” Mom sighed as she reminised about my past misdeeds.

 

“It’s not. I’m actually upset over my nose,” I said, touching it tenderly.

 

“You deserve whatever you got. Greg is married now. You don’t know what that’s like,” Mom chided as if she were the queen of marriage.

 

“Neither do you,” I quppied out of anger.

Mom had not invited me to her wedding ceremony intentionally last year out of fear of my bad behavior. She knew I wasn’t too happy about her and Arthur being together, but since when did how I feel ever matter to her?

“Who’s going to babysit Liam while you’re at work? I know I’ll be busy at the shop and Arthur will be golfing with his buddies,” Mom sprung on me.

Before I could answer Celia bounced into the kitchen, happy as a clam.

“David wants to know if he can come to dinner tonight,” Celia asked mom who smiled.

 

“Of course he can. Tell him we’ll be eating in thirty minutes so hurry,” Mom answered.

 

“Why is he coming tonight?” I asked, still embarrassed about my swollen nose.

 

“You can eat upstairs by yourself, Myra, because David is always welcomed in this house,” Mom suggested is a snarky tone.   

 

“You know that the fight was partly Celia’s fault,” I said pointedly.

 

“Celia is allowed to have friends. She doesn’t cause trouble and from what I heard it’s that Amber who brought Cadence over her,” Mom responded as Liam cooed in her arms.

 

“And what’s up with Amber? Ever since she got together with Daisy's brother she’s changed,” I said, “I didn’t mean to tell her nosey a*s that Greg is Liam’s father, but it slipped out in the heat of the moment.”

 

"Amber hasn't changed, Myra, you have," Celia said and I glared her way.

 

"I've known Amber longer than you have so don't tell me any s**t like that," I said, but Celia wasn't about to back down.

 

"You were gone last year so you don't know the things that Amber went through," Celia said.

 

"Girls, girls, girls!" Mom started, "Myra, leave it alone. Amber isn't coming over here anytime soon so leave it alone."

 

Celia turned around and left the kitchen. Living here was becoming too much, but I had no money to do any better. Yet.

 

"Let me have my son. We're going upstairs and I'd like to not be disturbed," I said getting up out the chair.

 

"He needs to eat. You can starve, but he won't," Mom told me and I got fed up and left the kitchen.

 

Once in my room I hopped onto Facebook to update my status. I had so many updates waiting for me I was overwhelmed. I decided to leave those alone and just check my most recent message which was from Crystal:

 

Do you want to go shopping tomorrow? txt me.

 

I did, but I couldn't so I got on my phone hoping to find a ride and a babysitter.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I woke up with a giant headache. Liam was already sitting up in his crib waiting to eat. I looked at my cell phone and saw that I had an hour an a half to get dressed, do my hair, dress Liam, feed him, and call my ride.

 

I picked Liam up out of his crib and we both went to the bathroom to inspect my nose.

 

"Look at mommy's bump," I said to Liam who stared with the same look of disgust on his face as with mine.

 

I didn't have enough cover up to hide the imense swelling. I might be sent back home. I cursed Cadence's name and went back to my bedroom.

 

I prepared some formula for Liam and laid he back down. I called Crystal who picked up on the second ring. She sounded wide awake.

 

"Thanks again. I owe you. Big," I said.

"No problem. I want to look at wedding drsses. I think Robbie is going to propose soon," Crystal confided.

"Hopefully. See you in forty-five," I told her and hung up.

 

It didn't take long for me to shower, brush my teeth, and do my hair. When I came back to the room Liam was standing up again.

 

"Ma," Liam said and it felt like the wind had be knocked out of me.

"Did you just say Mama?" I asked Liam who looked at me quizzically.

 

He was already trying to talk. Why was Greg missing this?

 

I had to stop myself. I needed to let go and accept that Greg would never be mine.

 

Once I did that my life would go back to some kind of normal.



© 2010 Tina Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

YAY!! More :-) And I love the wrap-up from the fight... people amaze me, it's funny I read and the first thought it, "Good thing this is fiction and people like this are fake" but then I thnka bout it and it's just not true, LOL your characters are so real and honest... I see my freaking sister-in-law in some character in just about every chapter LOL

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

381 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 5, 2010
Last Updated on August 5, 2010


Author

Tina Bee
Tina Bee

Sacramento, CA



About
My new book, "The Brighter Side of Low" is now up for viewing. Read it today and new chapters have been added as of July 1, 2013. More chapters coming soon! I've completed my second book titled, "A.. more..

Writing
As We Knew It As We Knew It

A Story by Tina Bee


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Tina Bee