Thirteen: Famous

Thirteen: Famous

A Chapter by Tina Bee

"Your nose!" Wendy gasped.

 

The inside of the auditorium was already bustling with people trying to set up their booths before opening time. Wendy's voice rose above them all and just about everyone turned to look to see what was going on.

 

"Silly me, I walked into a door last night," I said and looked away as a I spoke.

 

"We can't display you with a swollen face like that. No one will see our dress!" Wendy exclaimed, bringing attention back to us.

 

"Oh Myra, are you alright?" Pearl asked pushing Wendy to the side.

 

A handsome young man stood behind the three of us just looking on.

 

He had to be at least eighteen, with gracious lips, a pointed nose, and deep brown eyes. His eyebrows were a little bushy, but that was offset by his height. He looked a basketball player.

 

"I'm fine, Miss Pearl," I answered sweetly.

 

"Wendy get that cover up we brought for Myra and get to work. This isn't anything that can't be fixed," Pearl ordered Wendy who grimaced.

 

"Myra's a big girl. She can do it herself," Wendy scuffed and walked over to the table to fix some veils that looked just fine.

 

"Do you know where the bathroom is dear?" Pearl asked me.

 

"No, I just got here," I admitted as innocently as I could.

 

"Jackson, Jackson, grab that make up bag and show Myra where the ladies room is, please," Pearl ordered and Jackson, the boy behind us, picked up a black case and started off.

 

People pushed passed me in a ferverish rush. I could barely see Jackson ahead of me and I almost lost him right before we came to the quiet area where the bathrooms were located.

 

"My mom thinks you're being abused," Jackson turned around and said.

 

He fixed his gaze on me, stinging my soul.

 

"I'm not. I fell," I lied once again.

 

"I thought you ran into a door?" Jackson asked incredulously.

 

"Whatever. I don't need to explain my life to anyone," I said proudly.

 

"I googled you," Jackson admitted.

 

"Googled me?" I asked, stunned.

 

"Yes, googled. You're a criminal," Jackson said, leaning up against the wall, never taking his eyes off me.

 

"No I'm not," I stumbled, remembering the day I beat down those two idiots.

 

"I didn't tell my mom though. I think you're cool. Kind of like a legend around here," Jackson said cooly.

 

I was getting nervous. His stare was going straigt through to my soul. I twirled my hair around like a little girl trying to figure out what to say next.

 

"Yea, I'm a legend," was all I could come up with.

 

Thinking back on it I had become some what famous or even infamous. All those protestors outside the house with news cameras focused squarely on the house. It just made me shake my head in disgust.

 

"Where's your kid?" Jackson asked me.

 

"I don't have one," I lied once again, but this question made me break our eye contact.

 

"In one of the courthouse videos you were pregnant. So what happened? How are you here today?" Jackson asked, prying into the deepest part of my personal life.

 

"None of your business, I'm here to make money. Give me the cover up so we can get this show on the road," I scuffed and grabbed the bag and walked into the restroom.

 

 

The show lasted from nine a.m. until five p.m. I was absolutely exhauseted when the day was over. Pearl couldn't help, but gloat whenever someone asked who I was.

 

"She's our model. Do your twirl, Myra," Pearl would say.

 

My dress made me feel like I was walking on clouds. People watched me strutt and they smiled. It'd been a long time since I'd been out in public with no controversey. I loved this. I wanted to model more.

 

"Myra," Wendy called to me just as Jackson was collapsing the booths table.

 

"Yes?" I asked walking over.

 

"You did a fabulous job," Wendy admitted, "there's another convention in Stockton next weekend and I'd like to use you again."

 

"Oh, sure," I said smiling from ear to ear.

 

"Jackson will pick you up. We have your address. Same time, just an hour earlier. Thank you," Wendy said and as she moved passed me to take one of the last box to their van which was parked outside.

 

I followed her because Crystal said she'd be here by now. Once outside I realized that Crystal wasn't coming.

 

I didn't hesitate. I walked right up to the car which was . Liam was in the back seat.

 

"I spent the whole day with him," Greg said as I walked around the car to pull Liam out.

 

"Get away from me!" I screamed, "stay away from us!"

 

"Myra, is everything ok?" Jackson called out to me.

 

I didn't bother answering because obviously it wasn't.

 

"Leave him in there, I'm driving you home," Greg declared as he pulled his seatbelt off and used his left hand to open up his door.

 

"No you're not!" I screamed back at him.

 

"Wait, wait, wait," Wendy shrilled coming closer, "you're ruining the dress."

 

"Just get into the car," Greg whispered to me in a stern tone.

 

I finally looked down at myself. I had black smudges all over the bottom of my dress. I hadn't held it up as I ran to the car. I had to get a hold of myself.

 

"I'm sorry," I said to Wendy, "I'll have it cleaned."

 

I could see more people trying to approach the situation. I had to think fast.

 

"It can't be-" Wendy said, but I cut her off.

 

"This is my ride, he's taking me home, I'll see you later," I said as I moved to the front passengers side and got in.

 

Wendy stopped dead in her tracks and so did everyone else.

 

Greg sat back down and started the car. We were gone before I could close my door.

 



© 2010 Tina Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Greg?!? What's he up to now? I hope he doesn;t try to pull any crap with Liam! Can't wait for her to let him have it lol :-)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

404 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 7, 2010
Last Updated on October 13, 2010


Author

Tina Bee
Tina Bee

Sacramento, CA



About
My new book, "The Brighter Side of Low" is now up for viewing. Read it today and new chapters have been added as of July 1, 2013. More chapters coming soon! I've completed my second book titled, "A.. more..

Writing
As We Knew It As We Knew It

A Story by Tina Bee


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Tina Bee