Eight: Family Secrets

Eight: Family Secrets

A Chapter by Tina Bee

My avoidance of The Crew remained my top priority. With the diary in hand I wasn't prepared to let Eliza's secrets be known to the world so freely. I kept to myself until mom stapled a three day notice to my door four days after Eddie's departure.

 

"I told you," mom said to me when I opened my door, "almost two goddamn weeks ago that you need to get a job and what did you do, you ignored me! If you don't have a job by Saturday morning your belongings will be on the front lawn."

 

"You're a crazy woman!" I screamed in her face.

 

Liam started crying in his crib, but I knew he was fine for the moment.

 

"The baby goes with you, have fun living on the streets!" Mom yelled at me as she turned the corner to go downstairs.

 

I slammed my door and went to the crib and picked Liam up. I was so groggy that the severity of this situation hadn't fully hit me yet.

 

"Liam, mommy is here," I said as I went to sit on the rocking chair that I rarely used.

 

I said that going back and forth until Liam fell back to sleep. I was chewing my fingernails off when I finally gave into the inevitable.

 

Slowly I rose up from the chair and laid Liam back down. From there I went to my desk where my cell phone lay. I picked it up and searched for Crystal's number, I found it and hit call.

 

"Hello?" Crystal asked on the second ring.

 

"Hey, it's Myra, sorry I've been missing in action lately," I said as I tried hard to fight back tears.

 

"No biggie, I'm feeding Lizzie so you caught me at a good time," Crystal said and I was grateful that she was in a good mood.

 

"Liam just went back to sleep," I started, "my mom woke us both up about half an hour ago by loudly stapling an eviction notice on my bedroom door."

 

I was almost hyperventilating as I spoke.

 

"Oh my God, why?" Crystal asked and I went into great detail about mom's sudden about face in her treatment of me since Liam's birth, "I'm so sorry to hear that."

 

"Thanks, so I was calling to ask you a favor," I said, "is there any way you could give me a ride to like the gas station so I can pick up a newspaper?"

 

"Sure," Crystal answered quickly, "I can be there in like forty-five, is that alright?"

 

"That's fine, thank you," I said sniffling at this point.

 

"Robbie is still asleep so it'll just be Lizzie and I," Crystal said, "I'll honk when I'm out front."

 

"Ok, see you then," I said and hung up.

 

I spent the next fifteen minutes brushing my teeth and running a comb through my hair. I had no time to flat iron it because Liam was going to be a challenge to get ready. He was not a morning baby.

 

I had just put on his baby jeans and given him his morning bottle when Crystal beeped her horn outside. I sent her a text saying I'd be out in five as I put on Liam's shoe, grabbed his baby bag and my phone, and closed my door.

 

Once outside in the morning mist I realized I'd forgotten Liam's car seat.

 

"We have a spare, just in case Lizzie's is stolen or something," Crystal said getting out.

 

She hooked in the extra seat in no time and we were on the road.

 

"I can't believe any of this is happening," I said as I sipped my coffee.

 

"Mothers, who needs them?" Crystal asked as she fed Lizzie a piece of waffle.

 

"Won't she choke?" I asked getting scared.

 

"No, she just sucks on it until it melts, so where do you want to submit applications at?" Crystal asked and I looked around.

 

We were sitting inside a restaurant that served breakfast all day. Refusing to listen to my protests about having no money Crystal had decided to treat me to the most nutritious meal of the day.

 

"Anywhere, but first I'll skim the paper," I answered, "God, I wish I didn't have to raise my boy on my own."

 

"I," Crystal said, but stopped and then started again, "I didn't want to be rude by asking, but who is Liam's dad?"

 

I diverted my eyes away from her as I quickly weighed the pros and cons of telling the absolute truth. In the end I believe I made the right decision.

 

"His name is Gregory Finster, you might know him as Greg," I said, "he's the white boy that was hanging around Jimmy last year when they were still searching for Eliza."

 

"Him? You mean Cadence's husband?" Crystal gasped with her eyes growing big.

 

"Yes," I said looking away.

 

"Does he know?" Crystal asked me in a hush tone.

 

"Of course," I said setting my eyes on Liam who sat quite poised in his high chair.

 

"I would have never guessed, I mean I knew you two were friends, but not," Crystal said.

 

"Lovers," I finished her sentence.

 

"Yea, so is he a dead beat?" Crystal asked.

 

"Good question, I don't know for sure, I mean the problem is I really don't want him around," I said, "he hurt me last year."

 

"Then, yes, he's a dead beat," Crystal said turning angry.

 

"What?" I asked as she bit her lower lip.

 

"It's just, that girl Cadence, do you think she knows?" Crystal asked me.

 

"I highly doubt it, Greg said it would be best if we just kept my pregnancy a secret," I answered realizing how stupid that sounded.

 

"Disgusting pig is what he is," Crystal said under her breath, "you know you could go after him for support right?"

 

"I do, but that won't help me now," I said coming back to my dilemma as I bit into my pancake.

 

"I wish I could be of more assistance," Crystal said as she put her hand over mine.

 

"By being here for me during my time of need you're doing plenty," I said to her with a smile.

 

"Wow, looking at Liam I'm seeing it more and more," Crystal said, "that Greg guy really is his dad."

 

"Oh yes, most definitely," I agreed with her.

 

Crystal offered to take me to the mall, but I declined. The possibility of seeing people from Graham was too much for me to bear in my current state.

 

I opened the front door to see Kevin sitting on the couch watching TV.

 

Fearing an argument with him I did my best to go up the stairs quietly, but Liam saw Kevin and began laughing.

 

"Is that my nephew? Bring the little guy over here!" Kevin ordered me with a smile on his face.

 

I rolled my eyes and did as he said.

 

"Kevin, I need your help," I said, giving in to my despair.

 

"With what?" Kevin asked as he bounced Liam on his lap.

 

"Mom just gave me a three day notice and if I don't find a job Liam and I are going to be out on the streets," I said in one long sentence.

 

"That totally sucks," Kevin said, kissing Liam on the forehead as he spoke.

 

"Can you help?" I asked standing over him and blocking the TV.

 

"No. Go out and get a job," Kevin said as he pushed me out of the way with his leg.

 

Kevin almost knocked me over. In my fury I left the livingroom without Liam and headed up the stairs.

 

"F**k you too," I said underneath my breath.



© 2009 Tina Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Myra is in a really tough spot now. No one ever seems to really want to be there for her.
She needs someone strong, that's for sure. But she does need someone to care.
Everyone does.

Excellent story!!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


kevin not a freaking jack a*s at all
LUVVVV LAIM HESSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
abbie

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

471 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 26, 2009
Last Updated on December 17, 2009


Author

Tina Bee
Tina Bee

Sacramento, CA



About
My new book, "The Brighter Side of Low" is now up for viewing. Read it today and new chapters have been added as of July 1, 2013. More chapters coming soon! I've completed my second book titled, "A.. more..

Writing
As We Knew It As We Knew It

A Story by Tina Bee


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Tina Bee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Epilogue Epilogue

A Chapter by Tina Bee