Six: For the Team

Six: For the Team

A Chapter by Tina Bee

Once at home Eddie helped me carry the car seat in and then he hugged me, with Liam placed on my opposite hip, before getting into his car and driving away. I hadn't even asked where he was staying, but I assumed at the Clovers residence.

 

I closed the garage door and opened the other one that led into the kitchen. Standing in nothing, but his boxers

by the sink was David with Celia who, conveniently, forgot that her teddy was see through.

 

"Oh, my eyes," I said covering up Liam's face.

 

"Get used to it, baby cakes," Celia said as she places a piece of whipped cream into David mouth with her finger.

 

"Can you two go upstairs or something?" I asked.

 

"Of course and we're going to have marathon sex all over the floor in your old room," Celia answered me with a smirk.

 

"Lucky you," I told her, "enjoy the herpes."

 

I moved out of the kitchen and into the living room just as my phone started ringing.

 

"Myra," Amber said into the phone.

 

"Yea?" I asked.

 

"There's new info, can you meet us at the park tonight?" Amber asked me in a rushed voice.

 

"What time?" I asked her, stopping dead in my tracks.

 

"Eleven," Amber said.

 

"I'll be there," I told her and hung up.

 

Looked like the detective agency found a new lead.

 

When I got to my room I saw that it was just passed nine thirty. I didn't know where Arthur or mom was, but I proceeded to give Liam his bath. He wasn't yet at an age where he could play, but he loved to splash. When bath time was over I wrapped him up and carried him off to his changing table where I dried him off, put a fresh diaper on, and slapped on a onezie. When I looked at the clock it was nearing ten o'clock.

 

I wanted so badly to check my MySpace before I left, but Liam became fussy. He must have known I was itching to leave.

 

By ten-forty five Liam's eyes had grown heavy while he laid in the bed with me. I lay there until the last possible minute and then I put him to bed. He started stirring and whimpering, but he didn't fight his sleep. I was already dressed to go, but I knocked on Mike's door to let him know I was leaving.

 

"Where are you going?" Mike asked me.

 

My brother Mike was a big man. In the fall he would be starting his senior year with his lucky lady LaTonya who I liked very much. More of a bookworm than Kevin and Sonny, Mike kept to himself, most of the time.

 

"To meet some friends, if he wakes up please call me and I'll come home," I said before closing his door.

 

I almost made it to the banister before Mike came charing out.

 

"You can't just leave him in there to go out partying," Mike scolded.

 

"I'm not going out to party," I said getting annoyed.

 

"Then what in the hell are you doing at eleven o'clock at night?!" Mike half-screamed.

 

"I'll be back," I told him before descending down the stairs.

 

I didn't look back, I couldn't look back. It pained me to see my brother so infuriated.

 

My feet didn't stop until they touched the grass that made the neighborhood park so beautiful. I didn't see anyone, but soon the cigarette bud was like the buoy I needed in the middle of the ocean to stay afloat.

 

"She's here," Amber said and shadows turned toward me.

 

"Hey everyone," I called out to them.

 

"We can't stay here," Cameron announced.

 

It seemed like they had all agreed on that before I got here because they started moving away from the benches and toward the broken side of the chain link fence.

 

"I can't leave, I left Liam with Mike who's royally pissed with me at the moment," I said, but no one listened.

 

I gave up resisting out of pure curiosity for whatever news they held about finding Eliza's killer. I remembered the last time we were here and I had to push back those memories.

 

All the guys went first and I was happy to see Crystal among those in the crowd.

 

"Robbie isn't here, he's at home with Lizzie and I have to be back by midnight, we can walk home together if you'd like," Crystal assured me.

 

I was forever grateful for at least her compassion.

 

"Thanks," I answered her and soon we were far enough away from the park to start talking.

 

"So, it's come to my attention that there have been new developments in our quest for justice," Cameron said out loud.

 

I assumed he was group leader.

 

"Yes," Amber added, "today while attempting to clean up Eliza's room we ran into her cousin Eddie."

 

What he had to do with this I didn't know, but stomach knotted in anticipation.

 

"Everyone should know that Eddie is Eliza's first cousin and he also spoke at her funeral," Cameron said.

 

I actually saw Dom typing all this into his phone as Cameron spoke.

 

"It appears that Eddie has taken a liking to Myra," Amber said and I could hear the teasing tone in her voice, "earlier this evening they had a date."

 

"Wait a minute, who told you I had a date and what does this have to do with the new information regarding this case?" I asked feeling embarrassed.

 

"This newest development has everything to do with finding the killer," Cameron explained, "not much was ever known about Eliza's years prior to moving to Pinewood Acres. This Eddie guy has to know things, significant things."

 

"You're not..." I started, but couldn't bring myself to complete it.

 

"Yes, Myra, we need your help," Cameron said.

 

"If you could just try to find out what he knows that would be awesome," Scott spoke up.

 

"Try to get names," Nick said.

 

"Full names so we can google them," Dom said putting in his two cents.

 

"I don't feel comfortable doing that," I told them.

 

"I'll level with you," Cameron said to me, "we're not getting anywhere on our own. Police records are sealed in juvenile cases. If you can get some information on her mom and extended family we'll have more to work with."

 

"He's still grieving," I said fruitlessly.

 

"Then he's more likely to open up to someone who sincerely wants to know," Crystal said and I was shocked that she was in on this too.

 

"That's taking advantage of him," I cried.

 

"No, once we find the killer it'll bring him closure, it'll bring everyone closure," Cameron said.

 

I bit my lower lip and looked up at the moonless night. I felt so alone among all these people. If this is what it took to get some peace for the dead then I suppose it couldn't be that wrong.

 

"Ok, but I'll have to filter what he tells me so I don't betray him," I said and everyone cheered.

 

"You're doing the right thing," Jimmy, who hadn't said a thing to me this entire time, proclaimed.

 

"I have to get back home now," were the next words out my mouth.

 

"Good, we'll be waiting," Cameron said and I backed away.

 

"Crystal," I called out.

 

"Yes?" she asked.

 

"I'll walk home alone, I need time to think," I said with my back to The Crew.

 

"Wait, Myra, it's not safe," Jimmy said and I could feel him on my heels.

 

"I'm fine," I said making my way back to the fence.

 

I knew I wasn't by myself. I could hear Jimmy's heavy footsteps coming after me. The last thing I wanted was to have a conversation with a guy from my past.

 

I was almost by the park benches when Jimmy grabbed my shoulder.

 

"Stop," he said in a calm voice.

 

"Don't touch me," I told him without making eye contact.

 

"What's wrong?" Jimmy asked, "you know we have to do this if we're ever going to find the killer."

 

"It's not that," I said to him and from here I had a clear view of Greg's house.

 

"What is it then?" Jimmy asked, but I walked faster, "is it something I did?"

 

"Why would it be something that you did?" I asked, finally turning around.

 

"I know if must've broken your heart when I got with Destiney, but that's over," Jimmy said, "I dumped that tramp last week."

 

"First off she's not a tramp," I spat, "and second of all I'm not upset over you, I could care less."

 

"Oh, then what is it?" Jimmy asked and now I was mad.

 

"You see that house over there? You remember your good friend Gregory? Yea, well he fathered my son and now he's married to some other girl!" I screamed at him and it wasn't until now that I realized how upset I was over Greg's marriage to Cadence.

 

"That's some heavy s**t," Jimmy said.

 

We were now standing at the edge of the park.

 

"You bet it is," I said, "now I'm a single mother who's trying to solve a murder so you could understand why I'd be a little stressed out."

 

"How is your little boy?" Jimmy asked changing the subject slightly.

 

"He's more precious than ever, I'm going home to watch him sleep and reflect on my pathetic existence," I said and I didn't know where all this emotion was coming from.

 

"I say forget him," Jimmy finally spoke, " because he's obviously forgotten about you."

 

"We'll see about that," I said before storming off.

 

Jimmy stayed right there on the side walk that separated our holy ground from the rest of this wretched neighborhood watching me. I knew this because when I turned up my driveway on this hot July night he was still standing there, dutifully.



© 2009 Tina Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I wonder if Myra is really going to try and get information out of Edie. She is still hurting over Greg. That will be a long time healing, if ever, he is the father of her son. Wonder if she's still going to go after him.

This is a really great story.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Oooh, is Jimmy trying to get back in the picture again too?? Can't wait to see what Eddie knows about Eliza!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

496 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 19, 2009
Last Updated on November 21, 2009


Author

Tina Bee
Tina Bee

Sacramento, CA



About
My new book, "The Brighter Side of Low" is now up for viewing. Read it today and new chapters have been added as of July 1, 2013. More chapters coming soon! I've completed my second book titled, "A.. more..

Writing
As We Knew It As We Knew It

A Story by Tina Bee


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Tina Bee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..