Chapter 28: The Other Woman

Chapter 28: The Other Woman

A Chapter by Tina Bee

It's not everyday that a pregnant fourteen year old girl moves out of her mother's home and into her own house that her fifteen year old brother owns, but then again I've come to see that I'm not an everyday type person.

 

There was no going away party or celebration, but there was Mrs. Parker my nosy neighbor from across the street.

 

Sonny rented out a U-Haul for my move and by Friday afternoon all my things were out the front door. This wasn't the type of neighborhood that saw moving trucks very often so much speculation ensued whenever one did enter Pinewood Acres.

 

Sonny and one of his friend's he simply called, "Chewie," were in the process of moving my bed and frame out the garage when Mrs. Parker came over to inspect the situation.

 

"I had no idea you all were moving," Mrs. Parker began and I tried my best to ignore her, "I also see that you're pregnant. Your mom must be devastated."

 

"I'm moving out," I said, rolling my eyes as I did so.

 

"By yourself?" Mrs. Parker gasped with one hand on her chest.

 

"Yes," I answered her.

 

Buster was out in the front yard playing. Today the sky was lit and clouds were sparse. Most people were either at school or work at this point and the fact that Mrs. Parker remained at home was a testament to idleness being a sin.

 

"That dog should be on a leash," Mrs. Parker said quickly in an annoyed voice.

 

"He won't leave the yard unless he has someone to attack," I told her.

 

"How can you afford to move out by yourself?" Mrs. Parker wondered out loud.

 

"Trust fund," I lied.

 

"Why would you want to move out, you're like what fifteen?" Mrs. Parker said becoming more outraged by the second.

 

"I'm fourteen and believe me, things will be much better this way," I answered her as politely as I could muster up.

 

"Absolutely crazy! When I was pregnant I made sure that I was married and owned a house first. Where's the father of your baby?" Mrs. Parker asked and that's when I finally turned and looked down the street at the Finster house.

 

Since Greg and I were no longer speaking my mind had allowed me to block out everything I knew about him. I no longer acknowledged that he lived near me or on planet Earth. Much to my dismay there was a girl walking away from the Finster house toward the park. From here I could tell that she was blond, but that was it. I knew I was seeing Cadence for the first time, but why she wasn't in school was a mystery to me.

 

"Not everyone is born with lady luck on their side," I answered Mrs. Parker as I moved away from her and walked toward the park.

 

"That dog is following you," Mrs. Parker called to me.

 

"I know," I said.

 

Buster had a leash, but going inside and getting it would mean losing track of Cadence which I didn't afford to do.

 

By the time we reached the park I thought all hope was lost, but then I spotted the blond bimbo sitting on the swing set. I almost wanted to scream at the top of my lungs when I saw she was in Eliza's spot.

 

Today I wore stretch pants with a form fitting t-shirt and a pair of white Nike's. My hair was flat ironed down, but I wore no make-up. The closer I got to Cadence the more I was taken back by her beauty.

 

It didn't look like she had done anything with her hair or her face. She looked up at me and right away I could see she had big blue eyes to die for. She smiled and I saw her perfect teeth and well proportioned lips. I estimated that she was about five foot four give or take an inch. Her body was svelte, but she had been blessed with tasteful pair of breasts that were outlined by her over sized white t-shirt.

 

"What a cute dog," Cadence said even before I could get close enough to judge her further.

 

Her voice, which was hinted with a bit of a southern accent, was beautiful.

 

"Thanks," I said taking the swing next to her.

 

"Do you live around here? I'm new to the area. I live with my fiancé and his parents for now," Cadence said and she gave me the most wonderful smile.

 

I could've punched her right there in the face and still not have felt bad, but I controlled urge.

 

"I used to live here, but I'm in the process of moving," I answered her.

 

"I'm not used to weather like this. I'm from Tennessee," Cadence told me which explained the accent.

 

"Oh, I was born out here and raised. I've barely even been out of the city," I answered her and immediately felt like a hick.

 

"You should go to Tennessee, there are so many tourist attractions and the people are mighty friendly," Cadence said to me and again I wanted to punch her in the face.

 

"One of these days," I told her wanting ever so badly to change the subject to Greg.

 

Buster sat by the swings like a faithful dog. He wouldn't even walk up to Cadence to let her pet him. Oh how I wanted to rub his belly and call him a good dog.

 

"So how old are you?" Cadence asked as she walked back wards on the swing and then let her feet go.

 

For a minute she swung back and forth just laughing. Flashbacks to a time not so long ago poured into my mind and Eliza was the one in the swing next to me having the time of her life. When the swing stopped Cadence gave me another smile and waited.

 

"I'm fourteen. How old are you?" I asked because I truly didn't know.

 

"About to be eighteen," Cadence answered with her feet twirling about, "my fiancé and I are headed off to college in New York City, but first he wanted me to meet his folks. One thing led to another and they agreed to let me stay here until Christmas."

 

"When are you getting married?" I asked with much trepidation.

 

"That has yet to be determined. You see Greg, my fiancé, he's only sixteen right now and his mom isn't too keen on us being together," Cadence sighed a bit and that made me happy.

 

"Maybe because you're too young," I said gaily.

 

"No offense, but don't you think you're rushing it with that baby?" Cadence asked me with a cackle.

 

"Actually I don't," I answered her and if she didn't stop with her snottiness things were about to get heated.

 

"Yea well Greg and I are in love. I've never met a guy like him before. Even though he's younger he's so mature. Most guys back home only want one thing," Cadence said and I could see the sparkle in her eye.

 

I yearned to just beat her to a pulp. Would she laugh then? Would she ever have another reason to smile?

 

"He sounds like an awesome guy," I said longingly.

 

"Don't you have a boyfriend? Isn't that who you're moving with?" Cadence asked.

 

"No I'm moving into a house by myself," I told her.

 

"I'd be awful scared to do that and with a baby on the way. You must be one tough cookie," Cadence said to me and now I laughed.

 

"If only you knew," I told her and she shook her head.

 

"What's your name?" Cadence asked me and my smugness was immediately wiped away.

 

If I gave her a fake name and one day we met again I'd look like a lunatic, but if I told her the truth I risked her knowing who I was and my connection with Greg. I made my decision quickly.

 

"I'm Myra," I said calmly.

 

"Hi Myra, I'm Cadence," she responded and then went back to swinging.

 

It truly was like a slap in the face. Not only had Greg possibly impregnated me, but he had also failed to mention anything about me to the love of his life. I decided it was best to head back home quickly.

 

"It was nice meeting you, but it's time for me to go. My new life is calling," I told Cadence as I got up from my swing.

 

"Good luck with your baby," Cadence called and I had to keep myself from flipping her the bird.



© 2009 Tina Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I bet that was a really hard moment for Myra.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Ohhhhhhhh I love love love that Myra talked to Cadence!! It's just so, so, I'm not even quite sure but I freaking love it! :-)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

408 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 29, 2009
Last Updated on September 30, 2009

All Time Low


Author

Tina Bee
Tina Bee

Sacramento, CA



About
My new book, "The Brighter Side of Low" is now up for viewing. Read it today and new chapters have been added as of July 1, 2013. More chapters coming soon! I've completed my second book titled, "A.. more..

Writing
As We Knew It As We Knew It

A Story by Tina Bee


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Tina Bee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..