Chapter 11: Prince Charming

Chapter 11: Prince Charming

A Chapter by Tina Bee

Mom's car was parked outside and I quietly unlocked the front door and slowly closed it behind me. I should have known mom was up because Buster came running toward me licking my hand. Mom had purchased Buster, a Pomeranian pure bred, at the beginning of summer and he had quickly become the glue that held her relationship with Arthur together.

 

"What are you doing out here, boy?" I asked Buster just as mom whipped around the corner that separated the downstairs living into her bedroom.

 

"Where in the hell were you all night?" Mom asked me.

 

She was in her bathrobe and it looked like she'd barely gotten any sleep.

 

"I went to Jimmy's place with some members of The Crew and things got late so I decided to spend the night," I explained.

 

"You go out for tacos and it takes you twelve hours to come back home?" mom asked, "I won't have that here. The next time you pull a stunt like this you better pack all your s**t up and stay gone!"

 

"Fine then," I said walking passed her as Buster milled around at her feet.

 

"Don't catch that tone with me! Your brothers made it home last night at a decent hour and here you are, four months pregnant still partying it up like you're a carefree teen. Those days are over for you!" Mom said to me.

 

She was really sticking it to me.

 

I walked up the stairs and made it to my bedroom. Mom didn't come in after me so I undressed and went to take a shower. When I was done I dressed for a casual evening in (even though it was morning time) and climbed into bed. I drifted back and forth out of sleep because I kept hearing that voice, the voice of Eliza my dearly departed friend, asking me if it would be bad to go with the man who would ultimately lead her into the world of the dead.

 

I slept until four PM on Saturday. I got up and pulled the laptop out. I checked my MySpace and saw that Crystal, who was currently online, had left me a comment asking how I was doing. I thought that was odd, but I responded with fine and I congratulated her on her pregnancy. She replied back to me almost right away asking if I was feeling ok because I looked a little pale the night before.

 

I had no idea what to say so I logged out.

 

My stomach was growling and I knew I had to find something to eat before I started feeling sick.

 

Down the stairs I went and I heard people talking. When I made it to the last step I was annoyed to see Celia, Arthur, and Mom sitting on the couch talking and laughing.

 

"Why, hello Myra," Celia called to me.

 

"Hi," I said to them.

 

"We're going out for dinner tonight if you want to join us," Mom said to me.

 

"No thanks," I answered and I was still moving toward the kitchen.

 

"Oh that sucks. I was hoping not to be alone with the two lovebirds," Celia teased and this brought out laughter from both mom and Arthur.

 

"Sorry to disappoint you," I said as I made my way into the kitchen.

 

I went straight to the freezer and pulled out a carton of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream. I went to the cabinet and pulled out some gummy bears. When I was done scooping out the ice cream I sprinkled the bears into my bowl and mixed it in. I tasted my creation and moaned in ecstasy. This was the best meal ever.

 

I ate until I heard several feet approaching. Assuming it was just mom and her company I kept eating, but when I saw it was certain members of the football team I stood there transfixed.

 

They all stared at me and I knew I looked a mess. Back before the whole Langston incident I always looked my best whenever the boys were around. Right now I was mortified.

 

"Wow, is that you Myra?" Walter Meadows, the teams linebacker asked me.

 

"Of course," I said playing it off.

 

"You've changed," he said and the other boys, about six of them, stood there staring.

 

"Anyone want some ice cream?" I asked trying to divert their attention.

 

"No, we're just waiting for Mike to come down so we can leave, but I have a question for you?" Walter asked and now they were all staring in complete unison at me.

 

"What is it?" I asked dreading whatever it was.

 

"How come you won't just drop the charges?" Walter asked me and I immediately rolled my eyes at them.

 

"Langston made poor choices today and I'm sorry, but him not being allowed back on the team isn't up to me," I said to them, but now they looked angry.

 

"Now we're suffering with that half-wit druggie as our quarter back and we're going to lose," Walter complained and a bunch of them nodded in agreement.

 

"That was the coach's choice. I don't know why he didn't drug test Jimmy," I said to them.

 

"You know what, you're an ok chick Myra," Walter said to me grinning.

 

"Thanks. I was just dying for your confirmation on that," I answered them and some started laughing.

 

Mike walked in and everyone turned to him. He had the look of, 'what's going on?' on his face, but Walter quickly told him.

 

"We were just talking to Myra, no big deal," Walter said and Mike calmed a bit.

 

Today he wore a big white t-shirt and blue jeans. His hair was braided into cornrows which he could thank his girlfriend, LaTanya, for.

 

"Let's go. The club opens at seven and the bouncer is my cousin, but he can't only get us in if we're really early," Mike said and they all looked ready.

 

Mike had a large Samoan family that lived in the city. His cousin Regina had just come back home from a trip to Samoa and I was dying to see her. I considered her my honorary sister.

 

They all filed out the kitchen and into the garage that connected the house to the outside. The air that blew in was icy cold and I knew that fall was already present in the city.

 

I wasn't standing there long in my reverie before Celia came in and interrupted me.

 

"Are you sure you don't want to come?" she asked and I looked at her.

 

Today she wore her thin hair all the way down. Her eyes looked even larger compared to her thin lips.

 

"I'm sure," I answered passing her to exit the kitchen.

 

"You know Kimmi and Daisy are spreading rumors about you," Celia said to me and I stopped.

 

"So?" I asked her turning around.

 

"Aren't you going to say anything to them?" Celia asked me.

 

"Why should I?" I asked her and she stared at me for the longest moment.

 

"I thought you didn't like them," Celia finally said.

 

"I don't have time to even think about them," I said to Celia and proceeded to walk out again.

 

"They're saying you're pregnant with Langston's baby," Celia revealed and again I whipped around to look at her.

 

"That's a lie," I told her because it was.

 

"So you're not pregnant?" Celia asked and I knew what she was getting at.

 

"Hell no," I said.

 

"You know we're basically like sisters now and you can tell me anything," Celia said in the kindest tone ever.

 

"First off we're not sisters and second of all I'm not pregnant and if I was it wouldn't be any of your damn business," I said to Celia and reeled back.

 

"I didn't mean to offend you," Celia said calmly to me.

 

I kept walking and made it to my room with my ice cream still in hand.

 

Back in my bedroom I took my cell phone out and text messaged Greg. After ten minutes with no response I rolled over and closed my eyes.

 

Just as I was about to drift away my cell phone rang with a ring tone I thought I'd never hear again.

 

"Hello?" I asked into the phone answering it on the second ring.

 

"How have you been?" David asked me and I was stuck on his voice for a moment.

 

David was a man I'd met at the beginning of summer when Sonny and his friend Carlos were running from members of an opposing gang. David worked at a garage where Sonny had taken his car to be re-painted and less conspicuous.

 

He was nineteen years old and very smart. Somewhere between the time I'd gone on that fateful trip out of town to the discovery of Eliza's body I'd lost contact with him. Quickly recalling my memory I realized I hadn't spoken to him since Fourth of July weekend.

 

"I'm good," I said sitting up, catching my breath.

 

"It's been so long," David started.

 

I had nothing else to add to this conversation because I was completely dumbfounded.

 

"How's work?" I fumbled still trying to get over the nervousness I felt.

 

"Wonderful. Joker's serving twenty-five to life and he left me the garage. I've been spending the last few weeks turning it around into something legit," David explained and I realized I was hanging onto every word he said.

 

"I'm happy for you, but sad for Joker," I said because that was how I honestly felt.

 

"The feds found him out. Too many snitches out there. So what are you up to tonight?" David asked me.

 

"Nothing," I answered him quickly.

 

"Cool. So would it be ok if we went out tonight?" David said and my heart quickened it's pace.

 

An idea popped up into my head so fast that I barely had time to think.

 

"Tonight my mom is going out to dinner with her, boyfriend," I started, but then stopped because I refused to acknowledge Arthur as anything more than a fling, "and his daughter and if you'd want to you could come along with us."

 

"Ok. I like your mom," David admitted and this made me giggle.

 

"They're leaving in like thirty minutes," I said even though I suspected they were already gone, "can you be here by then?"

 

"Yes. See you then," David said hanging up.

 

I was calm as I pulled out a new dress that I'd picked up from one of the stores that I'd gone back to school shopping at. It was dark blue and flowed loosely at the bottom so only my chest was enhanced. I pulled out a pair of leggings and some suede high topped boots from my closet. When I was dressed I went to my bathroom and applied liquid eyeliner and lip gloss to the appropriate areas.

 

At least fifteen minutes had passed between David's call and my pursuit to look even stunning than I ever had in my short life.

 

I combed my hair out and then the last thing I did was spray on perfume. I left the bathroom and went to retrieve my purse and cell phone from my room. I made my way to the living room with ease.

 

Arthur whistled at the sight of me and mom looked very curious. Celia narrowed her eyes and I ignored her.

 

"So you're coming with us?" Arthur asked me excitedly.

 

"Yes, but mom is it ok if David joins us for dinner?" I asked and mom stiffened at the mention of David's name.

 

"Tonight? It's not really a good time," Mom started, but Arthur cut her off.

 

"Sure, the more the merrier I always say," Arthur said to me with a smile on his face.

 

Celia and mom looked disturbed.

 

"He's on his way," I announced to them as if this were something totally normal.

 

"How long will this take? We had reservations for three at the restaurant. Now we're adding two more guests and running late," Mom complained and I suspected her attitude was a direct result of Arthur and Celia's presence.

 

"David has had dinner with us before and I'm sure he'll pay his way," I told mom and she cringed.

 

"Nonsense. I made the reservation and I'll cover all additional costs," Arthur said proudly.

 

"That's a lot of money!" Mom blurted and instantly the look on her face was deep regret.

 

"I work to support myself and my daughter. I have plenty of cash to cover your daughter and her boyfriend," Arthur said, but I could tell he was hurt by mom's comment.

 

I felt bad for making them argue like this and as they went back and forth I focused my attention on Celia who sat back wide eyed and confused. From our previous conversation I knew she was confused about my alleged pregnancy and now with an unknown male coming to dinner she didn't know what to think.

 

The doorbell rang and I skipped to it with glee. I opened the door and David stood there wearing a nice clean pair of jeans with a white T-shirt. I could see that he was growing in a beard and it was nicely trimmed. He brought me flowers and a teddy bear, just like the first time he'd come over to my house.

 

"These are for you," David said to me as he knelt down to steal a kiss from me.

 

I was walking on clouds at this point and when I turned around everyone who had previously been sitting on the couch was now standing.

 

"David, you remember my mom. This is Arthur and his daughter Celia," I said allowing David to walk into the house and meet everyone.

 

"Hello, David. How have you been?" Mom asked corgially .

 

"Just fine, ma'am," David answered.

 

Arthur kept his smile.

 

"Good evening," Arthur said and he went in for a hug with David.

 

Everyone could see the awkwardness, but it was forgotten once David moved onto Celia who looked mightily perturbed.

 

"It's best if we leave now since our reservation is at seven," Mom said politely and David came back to me.

 

"David, why don't you ride with us. Gas is expensive and there's no point in taking two cars to one destination," Arthur offered and David accepted.

 

Once outside the conversation grew even livelier. David started by going into great detail about all the things he'd done to upgrade the shop. Arthur chimed in with creative tips and the two were like brothers going on and on about nuts, bolts, and plywood.

 

I sat behind mom who was in the driver's seat, Celia sat behind Arthur, and David was in the middle. I was glad to have a break from Celia's eyes and I could see from here that she was profusely texting. I hadn't noticed her doing this before and it held my interest for awhile until my mind drifted back to the previous night's events.

 

A chill traveled down my spine as I remembered Eliza's disembodied voice whispering in my ear. I held onto David's hand because I was afraid and I wanted to see what Celia's, who had since stopped texting, reaction would be. She picked her phone up again and was typing away.

 

David squeezed my hand and I looked at him. We locked eyes and he smiled sweetly at me. At this moment I felt like all was be right in this world.

 

There was no trouble with accommodations at the restaurant and we were led to a big booth. Once seated Celia began on about our art class and how our teacher was so wonderful. Arthur took that as an opportunity to delve into his high school days. Mom sat silently with her glass of white wine. I knew she was angry, but right now it didn't matter.

 

Our food took awhile to get to the table and when it did I gorged myself on fettuccine Alfredo with garlic bread galor. When the dessert cart came around I took three cheesecakes off of it and ate them just as fast. Arthur seemed amused, but mom sat pensively.

 

David gave me an odd stare so I slowed down and started a conversation on my math class and how polynomials were so confusing. This got Arthur started again and soon he and David were embattled in a heated debate on which famous Mathematician paved the way to help aide medical breakthroughs.

 

Eventually the sun disappeared to China and we left the restaurant in good spirits. This time Arthur drove and straight home we went.

 

I politely asked if David could come up to my room and Arthur allowed it as long as Celia would join us. I agreed even though being with David and I was probably the last thing she wanted to do.



© 2009 Tina Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I found this chapter interesting. Now David's back. What's Myra going to do with
all these guys and now she's hearing Eliza's ghost. That would be very scary!
Hering the ghost, that is!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

369 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 10, 2009
Last Updated on September 15, 2009

All Time Low


Author

Tina Bee
Tina Bee

Sacramento, CA



About
My new book, "The Brighter Side of Low" is now up for viewing. Read it today and new chapters have been added as of July 1, 2013. More chapters coming soon! I've completed my second book titled, "A.. more..

Writing
As We Knew It As We Knew It

A Story by Tina Bee


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Tina Bee