Chapter 33: Not Invited

Chapter 33: Not Invited

A Chapter by Tina Bee

I didn't realize just how tired I was until Langston started rubbing my feet as I sat on the couch. One minute we were just watching TV and bam there he was. In my mind I tried to imagine I was a million miles away and it was just me and my baby boy living happily together. My dream soon came to a crashing end when I awoke to a darken room.

 

"You slept into the night and I didn't want to wake you," Langston whispered to me.

 

I almost jumped because I found myself so close to him I could feel his heavy breathing.

 

"What time is it?" I asked trying to sit up.

 

"A little after seven, but your mother's dinner doesn't start until eight so we're fine," Langston spoke.

 

I struggled a little until I felt around my waist to see what was holding me.

 

"Can you let go, I need to use the bathroom," I said, but Langston didn't oblige.

 

"I like us being together. I don't ever want to lose you. Promise me that tonight you won't talk to any other guys," Langston said in a voice so low it could have been seductive.

 

"I have to talk to my brothers," I reminded him.

 

"Yes, you're allowed to talk to them, but no one else," Langston said.

 

Allowed? Since when in the hell did I need permission to talk to anyone?

 

"I'm going to pee on myself," I answered.

 

"Promise?" Langston asked.

 

"Fine," I said and he released me.

 

From his grip I went to the guest bathroom. Since it was only Langston and I no one really used it besides me. Just down the hall was the baby's room. I had done some light shopping on my own and by February a crib, changing table, and other amenities. Inside the bathroom I closed the door and locked it out of fear that Langston would come bursting in. With his new found clinginess I wouldn't put it past him.

 

After I was done I washed my hands and began preparing myself for the night. My hair was already done, but I decided to flat iron it. I applied more eyeshadow, lip gloss, and perfume.

 

Once out of the bathroom I stepped out to a deserted hallway. I quickly went into my room and pulled out my baby blue dress that I'd purchased specifically for tonight. I had black flats to match it. Once dressed I spun around awkwardly and was immediately displeased.

 

I left the bedroom and went back out to the living room and flipped on the light.

 

"You're stunning," Langston said adjusting his vision to the brightness of the room.

 

"I'm a blimp," I spoke solemnly.

 

"Don't speak like that and besides no one there will be looking at you like that anyways," he told me and I immediately felt flushed.

 

Did Langston know that I'd secretly been hoping to see David tonight? Was that the reason for his off the wall behavior? I didn't have time to think. The clock was just past seven thirty PM and we were going to be late.

 

"Please, hurry and get ready. It's time to go," I said to Langston.

 

"Ok, but remember your promise. Only me," he said.

 

"Only you," I told him as he passed me.

 

Oh, if only he knew.

 

 

Emerald Plaza was a very well to do place. I even dared to say that it was more sophisticated than mom herself.

 

Langston pulled up to the valet section. I was surprised, but when he pulled out a twenty and handed it to the attendant my fears calmed.

 

We quickly made our way into the exuberantly decorated main entrance and followed signs with beautiful crafted lettering until with found the Freedmon/Lampinelli reception room.

 

Arthur sat down and music began playing softly in the background. People were enjoying their food and drinks and I looked down at our empty table. Langston, who was now frowning, called to a waiter who was serving a table full of unknowns. The waiter walked over looking tense and I supposed my entrance had tainted us for the rest of the evening. Oh well.

 

"What's on the menu tonight?" Langston asked the waiter.

 

"I'm sorry sir, but there is no more food to be served," the waiter informed us and I could have died right there on the table.

 

"What do you mean?" I asked finally looking up and scanning the room.

 

Surely there had to be something left. I found it hard to believe that with this many people in the room the kitchen had failed to make extra plates.

 

"Mr. and Mrs. Lampinelli made it very clear that they didn't want leftovers. We just put out our last plate," the waiter futher explained, but that wasn't calming me down any.

 

"You mean to tell me that I, the daughter of the bride, who not only missed her mother's wedding and almost got bounced at the front door, can't even have a plate of something to eat and I'm six months pregnant!" I said raising my voice.

 

The waiter looked disturbed and fixed his shirt collar.

 

"Oh dear, let me speak with chef," the waiter said before shuffling off.

 

"Yea, you do that!" I called out to him.

 

Many guests were staring my way and Langston now looked uncomfortable.

 

"Sweetie, maybe you should lower your voice, people are trying to eat," Langston said, pleading with me.

 

"I wish I could eat too. All these m***********s are gobbling up my mom's food and I can't even get a dinner roll. That's fucked up!" I said in a voice loud enough for all those who were staring to hear.

 

The looks on their faces told me no one was impressed with my foul mouth. A few shook their heads and others strained to ignore my growing tirade.

 

I stared passed them all and looked to my immediate right. I saw an area designated for dancing right next to wear the liquor was being served.

 

"I think it's time we leave," Langston started.

 

"No," I said, "we're staying and we're making sure we leave a lasting impression on this up tight gala."

 

"This place is better than I could have ever imagined," LAngston said, but I was too distracted by the sign.

 

"Why does it say reception?" I asked.

 

"Maybe someone got the sign wrong. If that's the only mistake this place ever makes I wouldn't mind holding out wedding hear at all," Langston said, but I looked at the two men standing in front of the rooms closed doors.

 

"How can I help you two?" the tallest of the two men asked us.

 

"We're here for the dinner," Langston answered before I could.

 

"And you are?" he asked almost in a mocking way.

 

"I'm Myra Huntington, daughter of the bride to be," I said trying to get in and find seats quickly.

 

The shorter man pulled out a list. When he flipped to the second page I was annoyed, but when he got to the sixth page and said nothing I was livid.

 

"I'm sorry, but you're name isn't on the list and we were given strict instructions to not let anyone enter unless they're name is on here," the short man looked up at me.

 

"Just go in there and tell my mom I'm here. She'll say it's ok," I said growing more agitated.

 

"Neither one of us can do that. The dinner has already started and the hall is full. If you'd wait another fifteen minutes for the best man's toast to be over we can try to find somone in there who recognizes you," the tall man spoke and now it was on.

 

"I'll just go in there myself," I said moving past Langston and trying to get between the two of them.

 

I was quickly blocked and the tall man started speaking into his walkie-talkie.

 

"We can't let you in," the short man said and it sounded like he was pleading with me to go away.

 

"The hell you can't! This is my mother's dinner and I'll be damned if I miss it because two shmoze in suits won't let me pass," I said.

 

"What's going on?" I short woman witih brunette hair came rushing around the corner.

 

"This girl and her husband are trying to get into the Freedmon/Lampinelli reception, but they're not on the invite," the tall man said.

 

"Who are you?" she asked me.

 

"I don't have to tell you!" I said increduously.

 

"Yes you do. No one gets into my halls without being on a guest list and since you're not I'm going to have to ask to leave. If you refuse I'm calling security and escorting the both of you out of here," she said in one quick sentence.

 

"Well you're going to look really stupid doing that to me," I told her, but she didn't let up.

 

"She won't leave. Get Ted on the phone and send some back up," the tall man said and the woman pulled her walkie talkie out.

 

"Screw the both of you," I said and moved around the two men before they could catch me.

 

The door swung open and all the eyes inside turned toward me.

 

There had to be at five hundred people in there. Many faces I didn't recognize and for a moment I thought I had the wrong reception.

 

"Myra," Arthur said into the microphone.

 

He wore a black and white tuxedo and he smiled. Amid the sea of confusion it was nice to see someone recognized me.

 

"Young lady if you don't leave," the woman came into the room, but stopped because of all the stares, "I didn't mean to cause a commotion."

 

"You're not," Arthur said still standing there trying to give his speech.

 

"We tried to stop her," the lady began, but was cut off.

 

"Myra is apart of this party," Arthur said vouching for me.

 

"Oh, I see," the woman said obviously disturbed.

 

"Come in, Myra and take a seat over there," Arthur said to me just as Langston came to my side.

 

Whispers and gasps filled the room. Apparently people had been anticipating our arrival.

 

Ignoring them, Langston and I moved through the hall with finesse until we found an empty table in the far back corner.

 

"I'll be going now," the woman said and left.

 

I knew she was angry, but it couldn't be half as bad as how I felt right now.

 

"Sorry folks, but the show goes on, as I was saying I never thought that Claire would ever agree to marry a bozo like me, but here we are. I trust you all enjoyed yourself at our wedding and I hope you enjoy the free food too," Arthur said a strained laughed filled the room.

 

"Wedding?" I asked realizing what had been in front of my face this entire time.

 

"Oh no," Langston said and I could feel my world coming to a crashing halt.

 

"So fucked up," I said and the couple next to me, who I now recognized as Mr. and Mrs. Parker turned to me.

 

"Please, there are kids around," Mrs Parker scolded at me.

 

So what? I wanted to ask, but kept it to myself.



© 2009 Tina Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A really good chapter. It seeems like Myra was left out of everything.
Painful!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

465 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 28, 2009
Last Updated on October 28, 2009

All Time Low


Author

Tina Bee
Tina Bee

Sacramento, CA



About
My new book, "The Brighter Side of Low" is now up for viewing. Read it today and new chapters have been added as of July 1, 2013. More chapters coming soon! I've completed my second book titled, "A.. more..

Writing
As We Knew It As We Knew It

A Story by Tina Bee


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Tina Bee