Chapter 39: Let The World Know

Chapter 39: Let The World Know

A Chapter by Tina Bee

Liam and I were released from the hospital two days later. I only had half a nights rest before the crying started. Mom let me know right away that she wasn't looking to play night nurse for me so I was on my own. By the end of the first week I was beyond exhausted. One night I fell asleep and woke up to find Kevin in my room holding Liam.

 

"You slept right through his shrieking. I couldn't take it anymore so I can in to change and feed him. I have class in twenty minutes. He's all yours," Kevin said, bringing Liam to my bed as he spoke.

 

"Thanks," I said.

 

Kevin nodded his head and left.

 

I was so busy with Liam that I only had time to do my assignments and I made it a point to never turn them in late.

 

In late April, after Liam turned one month, I logged into MySpace and uploaded recent pictures of Liam that I'd taken with my digital camera.

 

I had changed my profile to public view after Greg's birthday email. Upon logging in I had many unread messages and comments, but I couldn't go through them because Liam started crying. I quickly put the pictures up and logged out.

 

A few hours later when Liam had finally fallen asleep I logged back on and went through everything. After sending thank yous out I checked my messages. There was nothing from Greg and I was disappointed. As I went to log out someone sent me an instant message.

 

"Hey," Amber wrote.

 

"Hi," I answered back.

 

"Would it be ok if I came over to talk for a little bit?" she asked me.

 

"Yea, sure," I said and logged out.

 

Fifteen minutes later I received a text message from Amber. She was waiting outside and I didn't bother looking out the window because I couldn't see the front yard from here.

 

I left the bedroom and quietly closed the door. It was nearing midnight and everyone had school and work in the morning. I made it to the front door just as Amber began knocking on it.

 

"Shhh..." I said as I opened it.

 

"Sorry, it's raining out there and I didn't want to get soaked," Amber said, ignoring my plea to be quiet.

 

"What's up?" I said as I led us into the kitchen where no one could hear us.

 

"Nothing really, I couldn't sleep and I decided to come visit you and the baby," Amber said.

 

Her hair was died silver. It was a drastic change from the red she had in the last time I saw her.

 

"Oh, I didn't think..." I started, but she interrupted me.

 

"I know I've been a crappy friend lately. I didn't even call to congratulate you, but school's been keeping me busy," Amber said and I noticed that she was on the verge of hyperventilation.

 

"Do you want to take a seat?" I asked becoming concerned for her health.

 

"No, I'm fine," she answered me quickly as her phone went off, "I have to take this."

 

Amber left the kitchen and practically ran to the front door. I shook my head, went to the refrigerator, and took out some orange juice.

 

By the time Amber came back I'd been waiting for her for almost twenty minutes.

 

"Is everything ok?" I asked, once again.

 

"Did I tell you that Kyle and I are dating?" Amber asked, ignoring my question.

 

"No," I said flatly.

 

"He's a wonderful guy. So sweet and understanding," Amber beamed.

 

"Is he the reason why you haven't been talking to me?" I asked and Amber's eyes darted about the room.

 

"Not exactly," Amber said looking down at the floor.

 

"It's ok, I'm used to people abandoning me so that they can join the masses," I spat at her as I stood up from the table.

 

"Maybe I should go," Amber said, backing away from me.

 

"Come upstairs and meet Liam," I said to her and she smiled.

 

Together, Amber and I went up to my room/nursery. She was breathing against my neck as I opened up the door. Before I could even fully step in she entered the room and went straight for his crib.

 

"Do you mind if I take pictures of him?" Amber asked as she took a digital camera from her purse out.

 

"Yea, go ahead," I, now tired from a long day of child rearing, replied.

 

Amber snapped so many pictures I thought this was some type of photo shoot.

 

"He's so beautiful, I've never seen a baby with such blond colored hair, especially when his mother is part black and his father is full black," Amber commented and I tensed up.

 

"That's definitely rare," I answered her.

 

"If not impossible," Amber said and I could tell she had ulterior motives for wanting to come see Liam.

 

"Amber, it's been a long day," I said, "you can come back tomorrow to visit with us."

 

"Oh, I always forget that the life of a new mommy is hectic," Amber said as she packed away her camera.

 

"Maybe one day you'll be blessed with a child," I threw out there.

 

"Hopefully no time soon, I still can't get over Violetta being pregnant with twins. How does it feel to be an auntie to be?" Amber asked me.

 

"Fantastic," I said in a tired voice.

 

"I'll see myself out," Amber told me when she reached my bedroom door.

 

I got out of bed and locked my door. Then I crawled back into bed and hit the lights.



© 2009 Tina Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wonder what's going to happen with all that? Still hoping things end well for Myra.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

271 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 7, 2009

All Time Low


Author

Tina Bee
Tina Bee

Sacramento, CA



About
My new book, "The Brighter Side of Low" is now up for viewing. Read it today and new chapters have been added as of July 1, 2013. More chapters coming soon! I've completed my second book titled, "A.. more..

Writing
As We Knew It As We Knew It

A Story by Tina Bee


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Tina Bee