Chapter 37: Redemption

Chapter 37: Redemption

A Chapter by Tina Bee

It's hard to say how we'll react to new situations. I for one know change happens when you're least expecting it. The day I returned home from my long journey of soul searching was the same day Daisy Spins made a miraculous recovery. I knew my ordeal with both she and Kimmi was far from over, but I received good news from Mr. Litfield a week after my return home.

 

"The Spins family has decided to drop all charges against you," Mr. Litfield said into the phone.

 

"Hallelujah!" I exclaimed from my bed.

 

"Yes, you're one step closer to freedom, but the Lautner family has decided to press on," Mr. Litfield said, "honestly I think they're just after a cash settlement."

 

For as long as I'd known Kimmi her family had always struggled. Her mother battled with alcoholism and a steady stream of boyfriends. Kimmi living in a trailer park was no accident and the best she could ever hope for was getting knocked up by some rich guy.

 

This court case had brought fame to the Lautner family. Everyone sympathized with them. The Spins family was already well to do and with the blessing of their daughter coming out of her catatonic state was more than they could ask for.

 

"So will I be going to court next week?" I asked with my hand on my stomach.

 

"No, and as a matter of fact you'll be appointed a whole new judge and jury. We have to start this entire process over and we're not looking at that happening until next year this time," Mr. Litfield said.

 

"Is there a possibility that the Lautner's will get tired and just give up?" I asked.

 

"That's what I'm betting on," Mr. Litfield said.

 

I let my silent tears go as I stared about my room.

 

Sonny had totally redone into a blue themed nursery. My baby already had a crib, changing table, blankets, bibs, diapers, bottles, and clothes.

 

My bed featured a blue bed spread, blue sheets, and a thick blue comforter. I don't know how he did it, but Sonny had set up a computer desk that held my laptop with a brown chair in front of it so I could do my school work.

 

The only thing I longed for was my own bathroom. Thanks to the new accommodations I had to share it with Kevin and Mike because Celia wouldn't give me my old one back.

 

"Well, Mr. Litfield, thank you for all that you've done," I said.

 

"No problem at all, just stay out of trouble," he said laughing into the phone.

 

"Believe me, I will," I said and hung up.

 

I skipped over to my laptop and began posting bulletins about my good news. I received comments from every single member of The Crew including Crystal and Robbie who were back in town from their holiday. Apparently Crystal hadn't found redemption from her parents and decided it was best for she and her baby girl to come back home.

 

"I'm so happy for you," Crystal wrote, "in the end you'll prevail. Kimmi doesn't have a chance."

 

I also received a congrats from Linda Ashburn, who because of my expulsion from Graham and my tumultuous months with Langston I'd lost contact with.

 

"Kimmi is still walking around school with her held up high. That girl had no shame. Myra," Linda wrote, "my sister and I can't thank you enough for exposing those two girls and that creep Rick for what they really are. I wish you and your son all the happiness in the world."

 

I sent thank yous back and then logged out.

 

By mid February I was feeling bigger than the house. The weather was warming up a bit and I had a terrible time falling asleep. To add to my insomnia was the fact that Sonny's bedroom window looked out to the street. From this side I had a clear view of Greg's house. One brazen morning I took a walk. I told mom I was going to the park, but I found myself standing outside the Finster home just staring.

 

"Myra," Greg's mom said from her garden out front.

 

"Hello, Mrs. Finster," I said to her.

 

"I had no idea that you were pregnant," she said coming toward me looking concerned, "when are you due?"

 

"In three weeks," I answered her.

 

"Holy smokes," she said smiling.

 

"Does Greg ever call home?" I asked and her smile faded.

 

"Yes, but only when it's to update us on his relationship. He just called last night to tell me he and Cadence eloped!" Mrs. Finster said and that took my breath away.

 

"Oh, how lovely," I said trying to play off my devastation.

 

"Yes, he's seventeen now my husband and I gave him consent to marry that girl, but in all honesty I don't like her," Mrs. Finster confided in me.

 

"Why not?" I asked, growing cheerful.

 

"She's controlling. She tells him what to do, when to do it, and how it should be done. I couldn't get them out of here fast enough," Mrs. Finster revealed.

 

"Some guys like that," I said nodding my head.

 

"Not Gregory, he was growing tired of her, but right before Christmas he announced that he and Cadence were leaving for New York. I don't know what came over him," Mrs. Finster said as she wiped the sweat from her brow.

 

"I don't mean to keep, Mrs. Finster, I just wanted to say hi," I said and backed up to walk away.

 

"Please, call me Paula, You're not keeping me, to be honest with Greg gone the house is so empty. His brothers don't know what to do with themselves, especially Steven," Mrs. Finster said.

 

Steven was Greg's younger brother who, when I thought about it, was only a year younger than I.

 

"I'm sure Greg misses you too," I said, trying to console her.

 

"Donald decided not to go back east for school. He wants to go to the university close to home and he'll be living here," Mrs. Finster filled me in.

 

"I never want to leave home again either," I said looking at my feet.

 

"You've had a rough time last year, Myra, that whole trial and all those protesters. You must have a strong back bone to have gone through all of that and still be focused on school," Mrs. Finster said.

 

"I'm doing home studies now, it's all from my laptop," I said proudly.

 

"So are you have a boy or a girl?" Mrs. Finster asked.

 

"A little boy," I said as I put my hand on my stomach.

 

"This is a bit of a family secret," Mrs. Finster said getting close to me, "but I conceived a child when I was just fifteen years old."

 

"Really?" I asked.

 

"Yes and my parents were so upset. I had to give her up for adoption. It still pains me to this day. I wouldn't advise it. Just raise your child and be happy. If I could go back I would," Mrs. Finster said.

 

"I considered that option, but I decided against it. My son and I will live at home until I'm old enough to find a job and do better," I said pridefully.

 

"Where is his father?" Mrs. Finster asked, frowning.

 

"He's out there, somewhere," I sighed.

 

"Wherever he is, I bet he's miserable because he'll be missing out on his son's life," Mrs. Finster said as she took my hand in hers.

 

"I don't doubt that for a second," I said to her.

 

I left the Finster home feeling rejuvenated. As I opened the front door mom stood there looking worried.

 

"This letter just came for you, it's from the family courts, Langston is suing you for custody," mom said to me with her eyes full of fear.

 

"Let the games begin then," I told her and she gasped.

 

"Aren't you afraid of losing him?" mom asked as I walked up the stairs.

 

"Not at all," I answered back.

 

"Why not?" she asked, flabbergasted.

 

"Que Sera Sera," I answered laughing.

 

"What?" mom asked.

 

"Whatever will be, will be," I sand to her.

 

"You're crazy," mom said walking away.

 

Buster came up to the stairs and followed me up. I patted him on the head.

 

"Are you ready for the baby to come too, Busty Boy?" I asked Buster who licked my hand vigorously, "I'll take that as a yes."

 

My birthday fell on a Sunday. March sixth marked my fifteenth birthday. I was happy to see mom hadn't forgotten. When I woke up that morning there was a cupcake in my room with a card attached underneath it.

 

"My dearest Myra, though these passed few months have been trying for you I'm proud to see that you've pulled through it all with your wits still about you. I don't understand where you get your strength from, but it's definitely not from me. Arthur and I are relieved to see you back home doing what a girl your age should be doing and that's going to school. I wish you the best of luck as you enter the world of parenthood. Whether you like it or not this baby will need your full attention. No more boys, parties, or friends for awhile. Signed with love always, your mother."

 

I read the letter over and over again. I set it down and went onto my favorite website, MySpace, to check for birthday well wishes. I was troubled to see that a message had been sent to me from a now deleted account.

 

"She (Cadence) watches me like a hawk. That night in the alcove was the best thing to happen to me, Myra. I know you haven't had our baby yet. I can say our baby because you've probably figured out that this is Greg writing to you from a MySpace account that will soon be deleted. You haven't given birth as of yet so it's safe to assume that I am the father. I got married, but I already know you know. My mom told me you talked to her. She asked me if I knew who the father of your baby was and I lied and said no. This is to keep things peaceful here at Columbia. I will be home for one month in July by myself while Cadence is in Florida visiting her grandparents. and I want to see my son. Please post pictures and keep your account public so I can see him. Kiss him twice. Once for me and once for yourself."

 

That was the end of the message. He hadn't said much, but my heart skipped beats as I read it. He was coming home in July and our son would four months by then. The rest of my day was spent in bliss. I went into the kitchen and helped mom make spaghetti. We talked about my impending birth and delivery and she went over how the first time felt for her.

 

"It was like ripping a watermelon out of my nose," mom said.

 

Tonight Arthur was working late at the Celia's Baskets. Their business truly was booming and I could tell that mom was over the moon about it.

 

"Care if we join you?" Celia said from the doorway of the kitchen.

 

David was right behind her peering in like an idiot.

 

"It's Myra's birthday so she calls the shots. Leave me out of it," mom spoke.

 

"Sure, let's settle our differences, at least for one day," I said and Celia who held David's hand, walked into the kitchen and took their seats at the table.

 

After dinner mom convinced us all to go to an ice cream parlor. On the ride there Celia sat in the backseat with David and they held hands as she leaned her head against his shoulder. Oh, how I wanted to shoot the both of them in their forehead execution style.

 

The ice cream was beyond incredible and when we got back home mom agreed to let David stay until eleven PM in Celia's room. To avoid hearing things I didn't want to I played music on my laptop as I completed one of my history assignments.

 

Sometime between ten-thirty PM and ten-forty five PM the urge to pee came on strong. I lept out of my room only to find my bathroom in use. Trying to hold it I ran down passed Celia's room and into my old stomping ground. After doing my business I left the bathroom just as David, only wearing his boxers, came out of Celia's bedroom.

 

"Hello," David said to my slyly.

 

"Don't talk to me you goddamn sonofabitch," I snapped at him.

 

"Whoa, what's that for?" David asked me, pretending to be hurt.

 

"You cost me the love of my life," I said to him.

 

"Oh," David laughed, "you're still mad over that? I was just looking out for his best interest."

 

"No you were looking out for yourself," I told him.

 

"Couldn't it be both?" David asked me.

 

"This is not funny! You don't know who you're messing with," I said to him and David grew serious.

 

"I know exactly who I'm messing with. You and you're fake hood star brothers don't scare me one bit. I run this house, in case you haven't noticed," David said to me with his teeth clenched together.

 

"You're not running s**t!" I screamed at him.

 

"Just wait and see. I can do more than just chase some boy away from you," David said as he grabbed my arm.

 

"Let go of me," I squirmed.

 

"Seems to me that you're all alone with a baby to raise. It would be unfortunate if something were to happen to you," David said in a low voice.

 

"Is that a threat against my life?" I asked him.

 

"It's not anything, yet," David said, letting go of arm as he did so.

 

I said nothing to him and just walked away. I was grateful that Sonny had left the lock on his door. I went to bed that night feeling a low sharp pain in my back. I didn't know then that it was the beginning of my son's arrival into this world.



© 2009 Tina Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great chapter. That David, it turns out, sure is a mean one! And Greg just can't let go!


Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

466 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 5, 2009
Last Updated on November 9, 2009

All Time Low


Author

Tina Bee
Tina Bee

Sacramento, CA



About
My new book, "The Brighter Side of Low" is now up for viewing. Read it today and new chapters have been added as of July 1, 2013. More chapters coming soon! I've completed my second book titled, "A.. more..

Writing
As We Knew It As We Knew It

A Story by Tina Bee


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Tina Bee