Chapter 2: Panic! In The Hallway

Chapter 2: Panic! In The Hallway

A Chapter by Tina Bee

Lloyd L. Graham High School was one of fifteen high schools in the city. Graham High, which is what everyone called it, was one of two opulent high schools in the immediate area. The second school was Prentice Technological High School which was filled with brainiacs destined to work in laboratories for the rest of their lives. That was the high school Greg went to and that's one of the reasons he had been chosen for early enrollment at Columbia.

 

Mom pulled off after letting me know that her cell phone was also on and if I needed anything to just call her. There it loomed, Graham High, with all it's formidable walls that housed and cradled delicate psyches and pushed them out in four years time into the big bad adult world.

 

The high school had it's name in giant letters red letters in the front of the building. There was a flag pole in the front courtyard where it stood at half mass to commemorate all the victims of the 911 attacks that had occurred many years ago when I was just a kid.

 

Teens were rushing about and no one seemed to notice me. I had my hair cut a little shorter and relaxed to give it a silky look that should last about three months. I barely had to flat iron it in the morning which was another plus. I wore a backpack, but Greg had advised that I only caring it around if it was half full. We both knew how heavy books could be and didn't want to risk losing this pregnancy just because some stuffy teacher demanded that I take home a bulky book everyday.

 

People seemed to know each other here and so far I didn't see a face I recognized. I felt my cell phone buzzing in my pocket and I took it out. I had just received a text message from Greg. He knew school start in just twenty minutes for me and he wanted to know how I was doing. I couldn't imagine however more months of this I would have to endure, but I knew in December when Cadence came and Greg left with her that I'd be all alone.

 

Mom and I had decided to not let Mr. Litfield or Principal Gellar know about my pregnancy. Since I had no P.E. classes it really shouldn't be a problem. I was going on home studies for the last half of school anyways and by then I'd be about six months. I had yet to see a doctor, but I did have an appointment this Thursday morning. It was originally set up for me to go on birth control, but it didn't look like that was happening.

 

I walked slowly to Mrs. Lamponian's classroom number. Again I admitted know double takes from the people I saw and I was glad for that. Just as I was about to the corner, however, I heard my named being screamed down the halls.

 

I whipped around to see Violetta and Amber walker toward me side by side. This was quite unusual since they were affirmed creatures of the night.

 

Amber and Violetta were members of, "The Crew," along with Jimmy, Cameron, Scott, Robbie, Crystal, Nick, and Dom. Since Eliza's funeral I had communicated with them here and there, but not much. I'd let them all know I would be attending Graham High and none of them seemed enthusiastic about it. Needless to say I was quite surprised.

 

Amber wore her fiery red hair in a loose ponytail. From what I'd observed from her she was a bit Gothic and today was no exception. She'd gone full out with the black eyeliner and black lipstick which was no match for her black skirt with red fish net leggings, black leather high top boots, and black tank top. As she got closer I could see glitter decorated both cheeks evenly.

 

Violetta had dyed her hair yet again, but this time to a Mahogany color. She wore a simple white t-shirt with hearts all over it, a pair of blue jeans, and black flip flops. She also had on make-up, but it was subtle and hinted her face nicely.

 

"Hey," I said as I gave each of them a hug.

 

"Well how do you like my new, first day of school, outfit?" Amber asked me and I looked at her wide eyed.

 

"It's cute. Totally you, but did you say first day of school?" I asked and she and Violetta beamed.

 

"We were so inspired by your bravery we decided to go back to school," Violetta announced and I was floored.

 

"You two are enrolled here at Graham?" I asked them.

 

"Uh, yea," Amber said and I was so relieved.

 

"I thought I was going to be all alone here," I told them and the first bell went off.

 

"You have our cell numbers just text us before lunch so we can sit together. Goodness I don't remember this place being so crowded," Violetta said to Amber as they hustled off to their first class together.

 

I was so thrilled that I skipped all the way to science class. I should've known that trouble lay right around the corner.

 

As I entered the classroom familiar faces hit me like a ton of bricks. Everyone in the room had been a student at the adjoining middle school I'd gone to and graduated from back in June. I heard collective gasps when people saw me and then I saw hands under desks texting away the latest gossip: me.



© 2009 Tina Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm glad Myra is going to have a couple friends with her at school.
It will make it a little easier for her.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 19, 2009

All Time Low


Author

Tina Bee
Tina Bee

Sacramento, CA



About
My new book, "The Brighter Side of Low" is now up for viewing. Read it today and new chapters have been added as of July 1, 2013. More chapters coming soon! I've completed my second book titled, "A.. more..

Writing
As We Knew It As We Knew It

A Story by Tina Bee


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Tina Bee