Chapter 17: My Deal with the Devil

Chapter 17: My Deal with the Devil

A Chapter by Tina Bee

I resembled a zombie for the rest of the school week. Mom and I didn't speak to each other, but I listened to phone conversations while she drove me to school. She was ordering fruits, cheeses, and wines by the bulk. I didn't say anything to her because I assumed she was planning the upcoming wedding she had yet to tell me about.

 

At school Destiney prattled on and on about how wonderful Jimmy was. By Thursday morning she told me about the date they were going to have Saturday night. I was happy for her, but I felt it was my duty to warn her of Jimmy's fast paced seduction.

 

"So what are you saying, you slept with him or something?" Destiney asked me after class Thursday morning.

 

"I'm not saying that," I said to her while we moved with the flow of fellow classmates, "I'm warning you to be careful."

 

"I can take care of myself. You know Jimmy told me you might say something like this. I'm sorry you can't get over him," Destiney said, cutting her eyes at me in the process.

 

"What?" I asked her.

 

"If you want," Destiney said snidely, "I'll stop talking about Jimmy to you."

 

"That's fine with me," I told her then I turned and walked away.

 

At lunch time I wasn't much for conversation. At about midway through Violetta's rant about her stupid cheerleading coach Linda came up to me and without a word I left the table.

 

"I have an idea," Linda said to me and I was all ears.

 

"Ok," I told her.

 

"Tomorrow Phoebe Gearson is hosting an after the football game party at her house. Everyone, meaning Kimmi and Daisy, will be there including Rick. Somehow I want to get the three of them in a room together and video tape their action," Linda said and I became elated.

 

"Do you think they'll actually do stuff to him at someones house?" I asked skeptically.

 

"I'm sure of it. Now the problem will be getting a video camera in there," Linda said.

 

We were standing in the hallway just off of the cafeteria. There we groups of students passing us by. Most paid no attention, but many giggled or just stared. I knew that talking to Linda in the open like this would raise suspicions and rumors would fly around faster than witches flying around on their brooms on Halloween night.

 

Standing there watching a brunette pass Linda and I by an idea burst through my mind.

 

"I know how to get those three on video," I told Linda who looked suspiciously at me.

 

"How?" Linda asked.

 

"I'll call you tonight with the details. We can't talk here too many people are watching," I said to Linda who then turned and saw what I was talking about.

 

"Alright, but the party is tomorrow and Laura has to be at school on Monday," Linda said with such urgency in her voice that I gave her a quick nod.

 

"Believe me, this will work," I replied to her and with that we went our separate ways.

 

Back at the table Amber pushed for answers as to why Linda had come to the table for a second time this week. I waved her off and Violetta, who was better at sensing things, changed the subject. We talked until the bell rang and then it was off to classes. At the end of school I went out to the front where mom waited. Again we said nothing to each other.

 

Once at home I went through my phone's directory. Six months ago when I was still an innocent little girl all of my brothers friends had given me their cell phone numbers. Some had even typed in home numbers as a way for me to call them if I was ever in trouble. That bond had been cut off after the rape, media coverage, and trials.

 

I was now a shadow of my former self.

 

Throwing off those disturbing thoughts I found what I was looking for. I took a deep breath and hit the dial key. A little girl rudely answered on the fourth ring. I asked to speak to the person who had changed my life forever. He came onto the line immediately.

 

"I knew you'd be calling sooner or later," Langston said slyly on the phone.

 

"Don't get too excited this is a business matter," I told him and he laughed.

 

"Langston is all business, baby," he said deeply into the phone.

 

His voice resonated in a low baritone and I shivered. The urge to vomit had to be suppressed.

 

"I'm glad to hear that," I said overcoming my sudden bout of nausea, "so here's my proposal to you. Take it or leave it."

 

I explained my plan and Langston quietly listened. When I was done he took another heavy breath into the phone before answering.

 

"I'll do it, but under one condition," Langston said in a normal voice.

 

"What's that?" I asked him with my legs propped up on my bed facing my bedroom window.

 

"You have to tell me who the father of your baby is," Langston said this time I swear I heard him quiver.

 

"Fine," I answered, "see you tomorrow at Phoebe's."

 

"Oh and Myra," Langston called to me.

 

"What?" I asked wanting to hang up as fast as I could.

 

"I'm very sorry for all the bad things I did to you," Langston said and I was silent for a long moment, "Myra?"

 

"Goodbye, Langston," was all I responded with before hanging up.

 

As I laid down I watched some birds who were busy in the tree that stood in my backyard. It looked like they were building a nest. I put my hand on my stomach while gently humming a lullaby. I closed my eyes and drifted to sleep.

 

Tomorrow was going to be a big day. Revenge was at my fingertips.



© 2009 Tina Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good chapter. But I hope things don't backfire for Myra.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

281 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 22, 2009
Last Updated on October 28, 2009

All Time Low


Author

Tina Bee
Tina Bee

Sacramento, CA



About
My new book, "The Brighter Side of Low" is now up for viewing. Read it today and new chapters have been added as of July 1, 2013. More chapters coming soon! I've completed my second book titled, "A.. more..

Writing
As We Knew It As We Knew It

A Story by Tina Bee


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Tina Bee