Chapter 35: Que Sera Sera

Chapter 35: Que Sera Sera

A Chapter by Tina Bee

Greg pushed me aside so that he could be in front of me.

 

"What's going on here?" Greg asked David who laughed.

 

"I should be asking you the same thing. Aren't you engaged to Cadence?" David asked.

 

It was hard to make out his facial expressions, but I knew he was smirking. He'd probably been watching the entire time.

 

"That's none of your concern, buddy," Greg said moving he and I closer to the exit/entrance.

 

"Yes it is. I got special orders from the bride to find her hell raiser of a daughter. I wasn't going to stop until my mission is complete," David explained to the both of us.

 

"You found me and I'm fine. Leave now!" I told him in the sternness voice I could muster up.

 

"Let me finish you spoiled brat," David said sounding angry, "they only wanted me to find you so that the lady in charge and her crew can kick you out on your a*s. They already did away with your boyfriend and I bet by now his drunk a*s is stumbling around outside looking for you. Wouldn't it be interesting if you walked out there hand in hand with this dude. Everyone would know for sure that you're a ho."

 

"We're going to be together no matter what so the sooner my mom and all those a******s out there know it the better," I said trying to sound brave.

 

"You think this is some fairytale? You think you'll be whisked away like some newly crowned queen that easily?" David said as he moved toward the door blocking us.

 

"Mind your business," Greg said to David.

 

"I've been watching you and your girl for some months now," David started, "she doesn't have the baggage that Myra has. Why in the hell would you want to take on some b***h who's pregnant? Why not think about yourself? You know that's all Myra's been doing this whole time. Going to live with the same n***a that raped her like a f*****g moron."

 

"Don't you talk about me like that!" I screamed at David.

 

"Why not? It's the truth. You may not have let me hit, but I know damn well that you were messing with Jimmy last summer," David said reminding me of my sordid past.

 

"What's that got to do with anything?" I asked him wanting to move forward, but suddenly Greg stopped.

 

"Do you think this girl will change her ways for you? Say you take her to New York and she starts sleeping around out there. If anything she might meet another guy, run off with him, and leave you with that baby," David, not stopping his campaign against me, said to Greg.

 

"Greg, please, let's go," I said as I pulled him forward in vain.

 

"I know I messed up by ditching Myra for Celia, but I made a wise man's choice. You can't turn a ho into a housewife. Be smart, my brother, dump this b***h. She'll only ruin you," David spoke before finally leaving the alcove.

 

At this point Greg let go of my hand.

 

"No," I called out to him.

 

"I don't know what I was thinking," Greg said, more to himself than to me.

 

"We can still go out there and tell them," I was begging now.

 

"Cadence is my fiancé', Myra, I can't just abandon her," Greg spoke to me.

 

"I'm having your baby," I said in my desperate attempt to make him see that I wasn't just wanting us to be together for me.

 

"All those guys you were with and you didn't even care enough to think about my feelings," Greg said and his voice sounded like he was a thousand miles away now.

 

"The baby," I said quietly.

 

"You have Langston to help you and really, Myra, I'm sorry, but I can't have you around me. You're too much drama and I'm moving to New York for school. I don't want to be in my classes worrying if you have a man at our place or not and I know you. That's something you would do," Greg said finally crossing over to the dark side.

 

"So is this it?" I asked growing angry.

 

"Don't blame me, you brought this upon yourself," Greg said turning hateful toward me.

 

"It takes two to tango," I blurted.

 

"Yes, but only one to misstep and ruin the whole dance for everyone," Greg answered me and with that he left the alcove.

 

I stayed there for almost ten minutes before I dared tread out of that room.

 

For the first time in my life I was terrified. The thought of waking up in the morning next to a man that I didn't love made me ill.

 

Not wanting to face anymore scrutiny I walked out the alcove and made a left instead of a right. This led to me to the fire exit doors. As soon as I pushed in the lever the alarm sounded. I kept walking and didn't stop.

 

I made my way to the front of the building where the valet parking was located. The place looked deserted and I chalked it up to the alarm being sounded.

 

I continued to walk until I came to the edge of the parking lot. I had just made my mind up to hitch hike out of town when someone came racing toward me in their car with the horn blaring. I jumped pack, fearing a possible collision.

 

The car, or should I say truck, stopped right beside me and the passenger side door flew open.

 

"Get in," she shouted.

 

"What are you doing here?" I asked, still recovering from my missed hit.

 

"I just really need someone to talk to and I came here just as the music started going. I overheard your mom talking about pressing charges against you and I figured you'd be long gone before any of that could happen. Then the fire alarm went off and I knew you'd be out here," Violetta said.

 

I got in before she could add in more details. The door closed and she sped off quickly into the night.

 

Neither of us spoke until we were on the freeway. Not a sound was uttered when the, "leaving Sacramento, California" sign went up. My head was pounding so hard that I fell asleep and awoke two hours into the ride.

 

"Where are we?" I asked groggily.

 

"In Nevada. My parents own a house up in Tahoe and I took the keys. Girly, you don't look so good," Violetta said.

 

"I'm hungry," I told her and she laughed.

 

"I have a bean sticking to my uterus too so I understand. I'll pull over at the next exit to grab us both a bite," Violetta said as she drove down the lonely road.

 

"Sonny did this, didn't he?" I asked in a joking way.

 

"He sure did," Violetta said and I could hear her smile, "and now he's saying it isn't his."

 

"Men," I grunted, "who needs them?"

 

"I'm surprised to hear you say that," Violetta said, "it seems like you're having a grand old time with Langston. At least you don't have to worry about changing diapers alone like I do."

 

"My life isn't as peachy keen as you think," I said, opening my eyes to stare at the tall redwood trees that we passed.

 

"Explain it to me," Violetta said and I did just that.

 

"Then David left and Greg followed," I concluded.

 

Violetta had just heard every single detail of my life from the conception of my son, who still grew within my womb, to the second time Greg walked out of my life.

 

"You need to get away from Langston, he's no good," Violetta said immediately.

 

"I know, but what about the baby? Won't the state take him away?" I asked feeling hopelessly lost.

 

"Maybe so, but your best bet is to move back home with your mom," Violetta said and it wasn't until now that I realized we were passing mansion shrouded by trees.

 

"Sorry, I went so long with my dumb story we passed up all the restaurants," I said.

 

"No, there's plenty of food at the vacation house. My mother and father keep it stocked just in case of emergency. We can sleep here tonight if you want or I can put you on the Greyhound home. I can't go back just yet. Life is about to get even more complicated for me," Violetta said and I noticed she was slowly down.

 

"How so?" I asked as I finally looked at Violetta's pale face.

 

"I went for an ultrasound today," she said, "and the doctor saw two sacs."

 

"You're having twins?" I asked surprised by this new development.

 

"Yes and that's not the half of it, because I've had a previous miscarriage they want to put me on bed rest once I reach twenty weeks," Violetta said with her face contorted into a smirk.

 

"What's so bad about that?" I asked as the gates to Violetta's vacation paradise slowly slid open.

 

"I'd have to be at home all day long with my mother, who has dubbed herself a homemaker," Violetta started, "and Myra, you don't know my mother. She rules with an iron fist. If she finds out that I'm pregnant my life is over. She'll torture me about having premarital sex because my family is Catholic and she'll demand to know who the father is and I don't want Sonny to get into trouble."

 

"So you're going to hide out here?" I asked looking up at the mansion.

 

The exterior was intricately decorated. Each awning and eve was painted a bright color and reflected off the headlights of the car. To my right I saw a front yard which was covered with ivy, but not in an unkept way. The house itself was painted a creamy white. It felt like I was walking on holy ground because this place was immaculate.

 

"That's not a long term option," Violetta answered and she turned off the engine, "but for now my parents are vacationing in Barbados until the middle of January so this is my little hide out."

 

"What about school?" I asked, remembering how enthused Violetta was about going back.

 

"I took myself out of Graham and enrolled in home studies," she said, "it's all online."

 

"Lucky," I said as I put my hand on my stomach.

 

"Not really," Violetta said as she opened up her door.

 

"Who's truck is this?" I asked as I hopped out too.

 

"It's one of my dad's," Violetta said, "he collects them."

 

I nodded my head as she led us up the stone encased driveway and up to the blackish looking double front doors. Violetta inserted her key and we were admitted in.

 

To my immediate right was a staircase and straight ahead was the front room.

 

"This place is huge," I said in awe.

 

"My parents tend to over do things," Violetta said as she walked ahead of me.

 

"You don't say," I responded still drinking everything that I was seeing in.

 

Her carpet was beige colored and it went great with the cocoa colored living room set. Violetta led me to the kitchen which featured green colored granite counter tops with red bricks lined up on the floor.

 

"I bet you're hungry," Violetta said, "I know I'm starving. Sit down and I'll make us a pizza."

 

"Ok," I said as I look down at my phone.

 

"Nevada is in the same time zone as California," Violetta told me.

 

My cell phone read twelve-thirty three A.M.

 

"We," I started then stopped, "I don't usually go to sleep until two anyways. This pregnancy has my back aching something awful."

 

"Has Langston called for you?" Violetta asked me as she took a roll of dough out of the refrigerator.

 

"No, thank God," I said, "are you making a pizza from scratch?"

 

"That's the only way I know how," Violetta teased.

 

"Amazing," I replied with a smile, "I can't even fry eggs properly."

 

"It takes practice," Violetta said, folding the dough until it was a perfect circle.

 

I looked at my phone to confirm that no one had called or texted me since my departure from the dinner.

 

"My goodness," I muttered to myself.

 

"If you're waiting for Greg I can tell you right now not to hold your breath," Violetta said as she took a can of tomato sauce out of the cabinet.

 

"I can't help it, I love him," I said despairingly.

 

"He knows that, but he's only looking out for himself. Leave him be," Violetta advised while she spread the sauce around on the dough.

 

"This baby really is his," I said letting the truth be known.

 

"You don't know that for sure and you'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out," Violetta said growing serious, "let your little man come into this world happy and carefree. If you're stressed he'll be the same way for life."

 

"I never thought about it that way," I said beginning to feel calm.

 

"Que Sera Sera!" Violetta sang out.

 

"Huh?" I asked looking up.

 

"Whatever will be, will be," she said and we both started laughing.



© 2009 Tina Bee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great chapter. Things never seem to go easy for Myra.
And those men in her life won't let her be, either, which
just makes it harder for her.

It makes a great story too!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

394 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 5, 2009

All Time Low


Author

Tina Bee
Tina Bee

Sacramento, CA



About
My new book, "The Brighter Side of Low" is now up for viewing. Read it today and new chapters have been added as of July 1, 2013. More chapters coming soon! I've completed my second book titled, "A.. more..

Writing
As We Knew It As We Knew It

A Story by Tina Bee


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Tina Bee