To Kiss the Blade: Liu Fai {2}

To Kiss the Blade: Liu Fai {2}

A Chapter by Varissa Darke

Chapter 2: A month later, in the kingdom of Sun...

            "Finally!" I exclaimed. I glanced back down at the messenger, who just stood there. as if waiting for something. "Well?" His eyes widened. "Uh-uh.." He pathetically stammered. "Just go. You have no more business here! Leave!" The boy gulped. "Y-y-yes, Cai Mao, Sir, Your Highness." I chuckled to myself as he stumbled across the floor in a pathetic attempt to leave.

            But I mustn’t waste my time! I must deliver the news as soon as possible! Tonight, we finally act out our plan. We've been waiting so long to finally give those peace-driven Pac a reason to attack us. 6 months ago, my brilliant wife discovered that the Pac's ruler, Liu Jin, was expecting his first child and she came up with a brilliant plan that shall be put into action tonight!

              "Xiao Ming!" I called to my wife. She turned her attention away from the letter she was writing. "It's time for you to go to work." She grinned. "I'll go get my things ready"  Before she left to grab her bags, I handed her the note so she could see the exact instructions for her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            I think I'm almost to the castle! I probably should have read the letter before I began my journey. It'll be hard to keep my horse steady and read at the same time. "Slow." I called to the grey mare as I pulled back the reins. She slowed and I pulled the letter from one of the bags hanging from the side of my horse. I'm glad the sun was bright at this moment, otherwise, it would have been difficult to see the small words, scribbled down in a rush by Liu Jin.

            The letter explained that Liu Jin's wife had given birth to a daughter but had "sadly" died. He said that this meant he needed my help with his child even more now than before and sooner also. I need to bring all my things and come to the castle and speak to a woman named Zhen Lue. She can help me from there.

           I didn't bring as much as I would have if I had really been here to take care of the child. I would only be here for less than a day, so I didn't need much. But I did bring a little extra so it would seem like I intended on staying for a while. I had to have my seamstress working on clothes for me to wear in the kingdom for months. I couldn't be in Pac wearing all red! I'd surely be taken for a Sun, which is absolutely correct, but I couldn't let them know that! It would destroy the entire plan!

             I had to do so much to my appearance to avoid being caught, like cutting my hair so short and painting around my eyes. I spent as much time in the sun as possible so my skin would darken, but it worked. I got into the castle and all my things moved in with no problem at all.

            I tiptoed into Liu Jin's room. He's so ignorant. He pleaded with all his guards to stay away from his bedroom and told them that he could surely handle any intruder himself. Well, I guess he'll learn tonight.

           So far so good. I broke the lock on his display case as quietly as I could, and retrieved his sword. I slid it into the empty sheath strapped to my hip and slid out of the room, and back into Liu Fai's room where I have been stationed for sleep.

           I watched the child sleep so soundly for a few minutes. She was adorable. It shall be wonderful, being able to raise her into the most beautiful and fierce warrior of all. Then, once the time comes, perhaps she shall kill her father herself.

            The thought made me smile. I'm such a cruel woman, but mercy is for the weak and ignorant.

            Putting the main plan into action, I reached into the child's bed and took the small babe in my arms. I clutched her tightly to my breast and ran to the window. I took one hand off the child and forced the window open. The spies were already waiting for me outside.

            We're only on the second story, and my acrobatics are high, so I jumped. Clutching the babe even tighter, to keep her safe. I made it fine with only a slight pain to the soles of my feet.

            "Are you ok, Milady?" I nodded with a smile. The spy returned the smile and handed me the reins to my horse. I handed the child over, mounted my horse, then took Liu Fai back into my arms. But no, I mustn't call her Liu Fai. From now on, her name shall be Cai Fai.



© 2010 Varissa Darke


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
Added on July 21, 2010
Last Updated on July 21, 2010


Author

Varissa Darke
Varissa Darke

AR



About
Hi! My name is Abby, or Varissa to some. I am the 6th child of 8. I love music, such as AFI, Cinema Bizarre, Tokio Hotel, Before Their Eyes. (Just to name a few.) I love anime, including Vampire Knigh.. more..

Writing