Chapter 23

Chapter 23

A Chapter by VincentRayne
"

'The truth always hurts. You…and I know that.' The noise faded away, and Yu’s head was clear once again. Yet the identity of the voice was unmistakable.

"
Lilliane laid in her bed wide awake. She could only sleep about once a week. Unfortunately, she never knew when that day would come. She didn't mind too much except for the fact that she would be bored since Lilliane wasn't allowed out without permission. Elisa feared for her safety, since vampires weren't exactly accepted. What made it worse was that, unlike other vampires, Lilliane couldn't hide her fangs or make her eye color look normal. Thus was the reasoning behind her long bangs and the surgeon mask she always wore in public. 

There was a knock on her door and her hand went for her handgun underneath her pillow. She didn't like using her powers since they were traceable and would only use them if all other options were exhausted. It was something that Elisa was constantly saying. 

"It's Zack." The voice from the other side of the door called. Lilliane grabbed her gun and walked to the door. She opened the door a crack and quickly looked Zack over for any form of hostility. It was something she did with anyone she didn't know. Even if Elisa said Lilliane had nothing to fear from them it was still practiced. 

"What do you want?" Lilliane asked.

"I just want to brief you, that's all. Let you know what we are doing, so you're ready by the time we are about to leave." Lilliane didn't say anything. Zack took it as a sign to continue. "We plan on leaving for the Sky Kingdom. We have to gather up the other Guardians and let them know about this on coming threat. I figured..." Zack's sentence dropped off when he saw the doubt on Lilliane's face.

"I don't think that's a good idea, Zack."

"And why not? This is kind of important and concerns Earth Realm being invaded." Lilliane opened the door motioned for Zack to enter. He came in and took a seat in a chair placed at a desk. 

"Faith...kinda hates you Guardians." Zack scoffed. 

"And what gave you the impression that she doesn't like us?" 

"It was her word. She hates what you are doing with Gifted all throughout the Realm. She says you are abusing your power. She hates that she can't do anything because the affairs are outside her jurisdiction."

"What are we doing with the Gifted that is different than anyone else that is committing crimes?"

"You persecute them. Everyone knows about it. Why do you think there are factions raised just to speak out against you?" Zack stood up and Lilliane tightened the grip on her pistol.

"Those factions are nothing but terrorist!" He yelled.

"That is what you label them. That is nothing but a category you place people that don't believe in your ideals."

"They kill innocent people. They blow up buildings. We were just attacked by them on the way to this place." Zack noticed Lilliane's blood red eyes glowing.

"You really don't understand. Fine, then we'll let Faith tell you all when you meet her. You say there is a greater threat but i can see none other than the threat you and your kind are to Gifted throughout this realm. You may leave now." Zack walked out of Lilliane's room and she slammed the door shut. Zack mentally kicked himself. He hated leaving bad first impressions. 

**

Zack, Yu and the others gathered in a vacant room of the mansion that was to be used as a de-facto briefing room. A long table had been set in the center and vacant seats were set around. Elisa immediately got to work in activating the holographic displays, as Zack motioned for everyone to have a seat.

“There are roughly 196 Guardians around the world, including us, but we've been spread pretty thin. We did what we could in sending a priority alpha transmission to where they reside, but not all of them have responded to our call.” Zack explained, as the screen in front of his seat flickered. On it a series of words scrolled across the display which Yu couldn’t make sense of.

He was startled as holograms of people he had never met before manifested themselves in the empty seats. Doing a quick count, Yu noted that about a dozen or so were present. He turned to Zack, who shook his head.

“This is Zack Yumari, leader of the Guardian Base in Japan. To those that have responded to my call, I thank you.” 

A girl with a twin-tailed hairstyle and porcelain features spoke up.

“Its been a while, Zack. Your call certainly surprised me. What’s going on here?”

“Qian, I was about to get to that. We can get sentimental later. Right now, there’s a new danger threatening Earth, and we need to gather everyone available to protect this realm.”

The hologram of Qian displayed surprise, then a hooded figure in the seat next to her spoke.

“A new threat? Zack, you cannot be serious. Four years ago, the invasion of Ergon had been stopped.”

“Yes, the invaders have been put down. And the humans have since laid siege to where they came from. However, some of them have survived and escaped to our realm for shelter”

“The people of Ergon, however, are the least of our problems, for those residing in the Void have built upon the knowledge in which Ergon managed to cross over to our dimension, and have begun planting their own amongst the humans to slowly sow discord. To the average person, he or she would not be able to tell the difference.

"Lilliane here has been able to disrupt their plans, at least for the time being, by tracking down and killing those in disguise. She knows as she has a special ability.” Elisa at this moment then brought up another panel, with pictures of the targets that had been assassinated.

“The Void realm? Haven’t heard from them for a while.” A long haired man with sharp features and a sword behind his back spoke. “But still, your actions were hasty, something not usually seen from someone like you, Zack. You must have been worried.”

“Certainly. All this while…the Void realm have been plotting to invade Earth. According to Elisa…the risks need to be contained. So she hoped that by doing so, the Void would be slowed down.” Zack gritted his teeth, still disapproving of Elisa’s actions. Elisa saw the swirl of emotions on Zack’s face and decided to turn away.

“Does the Void know about this?”

“We are not certain. However, they are bound to discover what we are doing sooner or later. Which is why I am informing those present of the situation to be alert for anything. I know that not everyone is here, so I request that everyone pass on my message.”

“You could be right, Zack. But only your team have had engagements with the Void so far. We cannot be sure what you have told us is the whole truth….nor if your evidence is real. If we apprehended innocents every hour of the day, we Guardians would be slated.” The hooded figure stated.

Zack rose to his feet.

“Are you seriously suggesting that I am joking at a time like this, Bewoulf? The threat is real. Not just in England, but in Japan as well. Yu, its time to introduce yourself. “

Yu, startled, stood. The holograms of the Guardians looked at him, some of them whispering amongst themselves.

“So this is our newest addition. I have heard stories about you, Yu Yamase.” Qian said, as she appraised Yu.

“What is past will remain in the past. As a recruit to the Guardians’ cause, I can only say thus: Zack needs each and everyone’s help right now. In Japan, where I was born, I had a run in with individuals with powers resembling those from the Void, and they had attacked me on sight. I would have been killed if I did not have this.” Yu turned his right palm to show the Guardians the cross shaped mark on it.

“I know the task at hand is insurmountable. I have studied under the legendary sword master Masamoto. He had once told me, 'Individually, we are one drop. Together, we are an ocean.' If we work together, there is nothing we cannot solve. So please.”

Yu bowed, and kept his head down. There was silence for a brief while as the Guardians contemplated their stand.


© 2014 VincentRayne


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
Added on August 1, 2014
Last Updated on August 1, 2014


Author

VincentRayne
VincentRayne

Los Angeles, CA



About
I'm pretty quiet and keep to myself most of the time but I don't mind expressing myself through creativity. I love drawing, writing, playing the guitar, bass, violin, and piano. I play video games as .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by VincentRayne


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by VincentRayne