Night of regret

Night of regret

A Chapter by WatcherInSilence

‘I lost her’, he thought, gazing at the night sky filled with shiny stars. But how could you lose what you never had? For years, he was searching for that starlight, staring eternally into the dark sky in the hope of one day seeing it. And yet, his worst fear came back to haunt him: the starlight had past, and he had missed it. All these years of constant observation, exhaustive pursuits and valiant efforts were gone unnoticed.


He felt doomed. His soul was being shredded apart. Where to go from here? How to move on? He had spent a lifetime trying to conquer the unconquerable; and yet, he failed. A part of him was shocked; maybe because that part of him knew that one day he would live to witness the star light travel the sky at extreme speed. But he didn't seize his opportunity, and he was left biting the dust.

Regret. A word we use to describe the bitterness that fills our heart. A stir of emotions that feeds on hurt and disappears without leaving a single mark. A tragic memory that can’t be erased no matter how hard we try. It is strange how we let ourselves dive into the pit of regret without having the slightest thought on how to get out. The human mind longs for complex emotions and seeks the sad symphony that carries with it the sorrows of hurt and regret.


Fear of the unknown. Fear of the dark. Fear that someday comes and nothing is ever the same. Fear of rejection. Fear of acceptance. Fear of fearing. What are we without fear? It seems that we have arrived to a point where our fears define who we are. But are we what we fear the most? Fear of exploring the unknown and getting lost in a tunnel of thoughts with no way back? We experience fear every day. And yet, some of us succumb to its intimidation without ever getting up. Others choose to fight it to defend what they hold dearest to their heart.


But at the end of the day, when we are lying alone in the corner, we feel it; it comes back to haunt us, to awaken the slumbering memories that were once golden ambitions. It turns daydreams to nightmares, hope to regret and joy to sorrow.


How can you run away, when what is chasing you is left unknown, dwelling deep in the abyss of life, watching over and waiting for the right moment to pounce?

It is strange how our life pans out. The wise man who once thought he understood the world falls majestically from his perch, while the night crawlers rise after dark to feed on what’s left of his emptiness.


A cry for help, or a tear of an innocent child, can no longer save the world. They are a lost cause, walking the shaded streets of nevermore, waiting to be found or heard by the weary traveler whose fortunes allow that he stumble upon them.


Corruption is at its finest. And when you feel left out of your world, remember that it is not you who stand out, but rather the world is out of place.      


Listen to the chimes of the wind, for only they carry the harmony of the angels. After darkness, there is light. And for every demon, devil and monster that lies in the four corners of the world, there is an angel in disguise, silently humming gentle melodies, hopeful of saving a few lost souls.


The torch of life is well and truly lit; its fire, burning vividly, lights up the eyes and consumes the wicked souls that lurk in the back of the line. Does it touch you? And when you stand there, sinking into the blazing heat, does it burn your soul? Or do you simply bask in the flames, as your heart melts and turns to ash, until it is carried off by the blowing breeze?  



© 2013 WatcherInSilence


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Gosh you write so well. I could read you all day. I wish I could write like you. Your thoughts are exceptional and gripping, thought provoking!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Solilokiss

10 Years Ago

I need to get in touch with my deepest emotions and desires because I certainly can't write and expr.. read more
WatcherInSilence

10 Years Ago

It is easier than you think...Just dig into your feelings..it took me a while to reach this level of.. read more
Solilokiss

10 Years Ago

Thank you! Will get the ball rolling :) thanks for the inspiration.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
1 Review
Added on October 28, 2013
Last Updated on October 28, 2013