A Moment

A Moment

A Chapter by WatcherInSilence

We open our eyes to the world. We venture in wonder and mystery in the hopes of finding dreams, promises or truth. Our world is filled with uncertainties that consume our decisions and turn them into risks. Each act we perform, each move we make is a part of a bigger circle that defines who we are and shapes our lives. We come face to face with our ghosts yet struggle to banish them. We constantly fight off our shadows when they are always chasing us. Whether we are shrouded by a mist of hesitation, or plagued by a river of incertitude, we are haunted by a sense of fear that takes control of our being. And so, we let go of our beliefs and succumb to those fears.

Holding onto a friend, keeping a promise or falling in love are foregone dreams that were once wished upon a star. Today, it is much more the fear of living than the fear of dying which puts our backs to the wall and draws us into perfect surrender in the face of uncertainty.

The little girl hiding behind the wall, or the little boy anxiously anticipating his returning parent are the true markers of fear. In their eyes lays a world much different from ours…A world of new hope, blossoming promise and a sense of rejuvenation. They often escape into that world, crawl in its darkness and curl up in the corner.

We come into this world like an army en route to the battlefield, armed with kindness and innocence, blessed with determination, forgetting that trust is so often taken for granted and rendered insignificant.
We walk in like brave men and women, never flailing in the face of destiny, holding up our barren bodies etched by scars. The scars that were carved by the many challenges of life, its hardships a truth we have never truly come to peace with, its purpose a long-standing question that leaves us wondering in utter awe and curiosity each time it is posed.

Life exposes us down to our core and robs us of that sense of security. A forgotten child craving attention and care, a wounded soldier battered and haplessly put down or a widow busting tables to provide for her son who cuddles next to candlelight at night to get warm are but a figment of its cruelty. Life is always there; it is the ever-present slayer, the demonic reaper and the constant reminder that our fears are bigger than us and transcend our wildest dreams. But life is also a flame of hope, reminding us that some things are worth fighting for.

Sometimes it takes a single moment, a moment to say the right word, a moment to play the perfect melody, a moment to usher the silence…Sometimes it takes a moment to watch our walls crumble down in front of us, a moment to betray a friend, a moment to lose a lover.

And when a moment is all you have, how will you choose to spend it? Will you confront that person you have been avoiding, will you speak that single word, will you play that perfect note? Or will you set up your walls forming an impenetrable defense, walk away from that friend or chase after the one you love?

Will you be the girl hiding behind her walls? Shivering in fear as she watches the darkness unfold in silence? Or will you be that little boy, hopeful of a triumphant return, fending off his demons in the daylight, before seeking refuge from reality in his dreams?

Sometimes a moment is all we have…And how we choose to live it spans the rest of our lifetime. That life-changing event, banging at your door, calling for your heart…How will you choose to cease it?


© 2014 WatcherInSilence


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow.... All I can say is wow... This speaks loudly and yet softly with such truth emblazoned through out each word... Such a prophet. Your words, thoughts, messages, amaze me so much!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


WatcherInSilence

10 Years Ago

As always I am touched by your review my dear friend...You have left me with utterly no words...All .. read more
Solilokiss

10 Years Ago

I'm sure you can find more words! Make sure I get to see them by your pen! :) and, no, thank YOU. It.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

130 Views
1 Review
Added on February 6, 2014
Last Updated on February 6, 2014