Chapter 13

Chapter 13

A Chapter by Keevan

After Edward walked me back home, I immediately went to bed. I still couldn't bring myself to tell him that I didn't want him to go. I had to...but I couldn't.

     That night.... I dreamed about him. In the dream, I was standing alone in nothingness. All around me was black. I was afraid that I got caught in the gate again, but that couldn't have been it.

     I was scared. Nothing was making sense. Then Edward appeared as his sixteen year old self. His red coat around his shoulders, his golden hair in a braid, and that same cocky smile. He held out his hand to me, and all of the darkness disappeared and left Light in it's place.

     Edward was suddenly his present self, taller, his hair in a ponytail, different clothing, but still the same cocky smile.

     I took his hand, and then I woke up. I never wanted that dream to end.

     I cried until morning.

______________________________________________________________________________

 

"Goodbye, Alphonse," I said quietly. Edward and I had walked to the Rockbells--where Alphonse had been staying for a while--to see the brothers off.

     Alphonse held out his hand to me, but instead of shaking his hand, I pulled him into a tight hug.

     "Be careful," I whispered. "and bring him home safely."

     "Uh, I will, Lucy," he said awkwardly, backing out of my arms, blushing. Edward scoffed. Winry laughed. Pinako just sat there and smoked her pipe.

     The boys loaded their suitcases into the car that had arrived for them. Winry was smiling, but crying. Den was laying at Pinako's feet.

     "Take care of your brother, Ed," I said to Edward. "I told Al the same thing."

     "Hm," he grunted. "Lucy, can I talk to your for a minute?"

     "Uh, sure."

     He took me on the other side of the house. Winry looked curious, but she stayed where she was.

     "What is it?" I asked Edward as soon as he was sure we were out of earshot from the others.

     "Promise me something," Edward said, a strange look in his eyes. "Promise me that you'll be okay by yourself. That means that you won't starve to death, you won't be depressed, you won't think of suicide--"

     "Edward, where is this all coming from?" I asked him.

     "I know how you get," he said seriously. "Promise me that you won't be sad, or I'll have to have Winry check on you every day."

     "Edward, I promise," I said. He didn't look too convinced, but he smiled. A jolt went through me as I suddenly remembered the dream I had the previous night. I hid my eyes from Edward, sure that there were tears just waiting to spill over. I didn't want to cry. Not in front of Edward.

     "You okay?" he asked, his smile fading away. "What's the matter?"

     "If I'm promising you something, then you have to promise me something," I said, looking up at him, a single tear slipping down my cheek.

     "Anything," he replied without hesitating. "but why are you--?"

     "Promise me that you'll be okay, and that you'll come back," I said, taking his AutoMail hand in both of my hands. "Promise me, Edward." His smile came back, and he placed his real hand on mine and said, "Promise."

______________________________________________________________________________

 

After the rolled away in the car, Winry started bawling like a baby. Pianko, shaking her head, went inside with her and Den. I made my way slowly back to my now empty and quiet house.

     Once there, I called the colonel.

     I dialed his number, and a woman answered. "Hello?" she said.

     "Can I speak to Colonel Mustang, please? Tell him it's Lucy."

     "Yes, one moment please." I heard the line click, signaling she was transfering the line, and then I heard Colonel Mustang's usual monotone voice: "Lucy, what is it?"

     "I was wondering if he turned himself in," I said.

     I didn't need to specify who I meant; Colonel Mustang understood who I was talking about.

     "He turned himself in this morning, and was to be executed," Colonel Mustang said. "And...he left an envelope for you, if you want it. I'm not sure what's in it, but he gave it to me and said, 'It's my will. Give it to my daughter.'"

     "I think I have a feeling on what it is," I said, remembering what my father had said the day before. He sold his belongings and said he needed some money for his will. That envelope had the money in it.

     "Well, come by sometime and pick it up," he replied. "Leiutenant Hawkeye's on a break right now, but I bet she wouldn't mind picking you up at Central Station."

     "Alright, I'm on my way," I said. "I have nothing better to do, anyway."

     "What do you mean?" he asked, a hint of amusement in his voice. "Edward isn't entertaining anymore?"
     "Actually," I said, trying to keep my voice level. "he's not here anymore."

     The colonel asked me what happened, and I told him I'd tell him when I arrived in Central.

     I hung up the phone, grabbed my coat---which I had neglected to wear when Edward and I walked to the Rockbells---and left the house (I hadn't taken off my shoes).

______________________________________________________________________________

 

The peacefulness of Resembool was starting to get to me again. Everyday was the same, if not a little boring-er each day. Nothing ever changed, so I was kind of glad to get out of there for at least a few hours.

     I bought my train ticket and waited for the train to Resembool, my thoughts always straying to that dream I had of Edward. My heart was aching again. Why did it always ache when I thought of Edward?

     I looked around, the place busy with people. Among the faces were familiar people I had gotten to know around Resembool, but the majority were strangers. One man was trying to sell oranges to a woman who was claiming she didn't have any money, while a child was crying while clinging onto his mother's skirt. I couldn't help wondering what that would be like, having a son or a daughter.

     I yawned, imagining that it'd be hard work raising a child. I looked around again, and felt my eyes widen and my blood run cold as I saw a scarily familiar face grinning evilly at me.

     I could've sworn I saw Envy glaring at me, a wicken grin stretched across his face. I stared at him, unable to make a sound. The back of my neck was cold with sweat, and my heart was hammering.

     It's coming, Envy mouthed. The madness. The insanity. It's coming. The train to Central pulled up, and I ran on it as fast as I could. Envy's voice echoed in my mind as I took my seat: Run while you can. It'll find you, and you won't be able to get away from your instincts. You're a Homunculus, and don't forget it.



© 2011 Keevan


Author's Note

Keevan
Oh, boy, do I have something planned!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

DONT LISTEN TO HIM LUCY!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


AUGH! WHAT IS IT?!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

356 Views
2 Reviews
Added on December 27, 2010
Last Updated on January 5, 2011


Author

Keevan
Keevan

MN



About
This account is active from time to time, but not much. If you send me a message or friend invite, odds are I won't respond. Since I"m in college, I'll be here from time to time but there are abso.. more..

Writing
Experiment 909 Experiment 909

A Story by Keevan


I I

A Chapter by Keevan