Three

Three

A Chapter by allieverwanted

The Dark King was bored. And hungry. Just as he had suspected, when the fey found out about the last transformed faerie that was all they seemed to talk about. No drama, no gossip, nothing that would satisfy his cravings.

He had to resort to finding food outside his kingdom, but even then everyone he had encountered seemed annoyingly happy. He hadn’t fully eaten in a week, and it was starting to show.

“Why don’t we go to a club tonight?” Philip, his advisor, suggested, “there’s bound to be something there worth feeding on.”

Kellen thought about that a moment. The possibility of food intrigued him, as did the likelihood of taking a girl home. Mortal or faerie, he wasn’t picky. He accepted.

They had their glamour conceal their wings and tattoos, giving them the appearance of mortal.

The club was busy and as they walked in the aroma from the mortals was mouthwatering. Breathing in, he could taste the emotions of anger, temptation, and faint chaos. 

Delicious. 

He walked through the crowd, completely at ease and found a table for Philip and him.

“See anything you like?” Philip asked, sipping a drink that had managed to appear in his hand.

“Not right off,” Kellen scanned the crowd, “but there’s no rush,” he smiled to himself, “the night’s still young.”

Philip snickered in pleasure and took another drink.

In a matter of moments a couple of blond and big chested mortal women had caught his eye. One winked at him before doing a move that rightly belonged on a pole.

“Dibs,” he through out casually, sauntering over to her.

The night’s off to a great start.

Darby traced the line of bruises that were forming over her olive skin.

How in the world did this happen?

The bruising seemed to start from the corner of her right eye, down her face, and arms, seeming to meet at the base of her neck where the necklace was resting. She had yet to check out the rest of her body, but judging by the discomfort and soreness she felt when she got out of bed, she had a feeling it continued.

This is going to make doing makeup a b***h.

Sighing, she did her best to cover up the markings until they were only faintly noticeable. But if her parents, friends, or Christopher really got a look at her they would be able to see it. 

Which made it impossible to hide as her friends ran up to hug her.

“You’re not a faerie!” Carrie yelled, throwing her arms around her.

Darby laughed, “Apparently not. Guess I’m not good enough for their race.”

“And we are perfectly okay with that,” Mackenzie told her, hugging her next.

Heather studied her face a moment, “What happened?”

Darby blushed as everyone inspected her, “I don’t know, must’ve just been an accident.”

“Is everything good at home?” Heather checked.

“Oh no, it’s not that,” she promised, “I guess I just have delicate skin or something, who knows.”

“You have no idea how worried we all were,” Mackenzie said, walking with her to class, “I don’t know what we would’ve done if. . . we’re so happy you’re okay.”

She smiled, “Me too. And now, I’ve got a whole new respect for Birthday wishes.”

Kellen moaned in pain.

Damn hangover. 

He dressed himself quickly and slipped out of the window before the blond mortal would wake up.

Where the hell did Philip go?

He looked around for any sign that his advisor would be miraculously waiting outside for him but there was no luck. So, with nothing to do he decided he might as well go for a drive. 

As he did he went over the details of last night in his head. He danced with the blond mortal a lot.

Alicia.

He corrected himself mentally. When she had finally gotten drunk enough he let her take him back to her place, That’s when he lost Philip, she was so intoxicated that she didn’t even care about his wings, or maybe she just didn’t notice. The night went by fast, and he knew that when she woke up she’d think it’d all be a dream. 

The hangover would be rough on her judging by how much she drank, but that was probably his fault. Mortal alcohol just didn’t affect him unless drank in large amounts, she didn’t have to follow suit, but she didn’t seem the type that would turn down a free drink.

The honk of some car brought Kellen back to what he was doing. He scowled at the young woman in the car behind him.

I’ve been driving since they’ve invented the car. I think I know what I’m doing.

Debating now on where he’d want to go, he decided that he might as well drive around the country side. He glanced at the car’s clock. 

Only Eleven. 

He moaned and clutched his head. 

First, I need to try and sleep off the hangover. Then I’ll visit the high school, it’s cold in Elmira and Veneta this time of year. I could be very helpful warming the mortal girls up.  

After school, Darby sat down on the curb waiting for Mom to pick her up. She needed to borrow Darby’s car because hers was broken down and now Darby had to wait for her. Mom was running late and she was all alone at the school, which didn’t bother her until a black porsche pulled up near her.

She stood up, ready to defend herself if needed.

The car stopped and a boy around her age got out. He looked arrogant, and given how attractive he was it would’ve been hard not to be. He paused as he got closer, his dark mischevious eyes trained on her bruises.

She looked down.

“You got a ride home?” He asked cooly.

“Yeah,” she said stiffly, slowly meeting his eyes.

He seemed disappointed, “Well, if it’d be quicker. I could take you home.”

She almost wanted to laugh.

The nerve of this guy! Does he really think I’m just going to jump at the chance of getting in a car with a hot stranger? 

“I don’t think so,” she smiled, “I don’t go places with people I don’t know.”

He seemed intrigued by the challenge, “Alright, then may I wait with you?”

She had a feeling it wouldn’t matter what she said, he’d do as he pleased, “I don’t care,” she responded, trying to keep the hint of fear out of her voice.

He smirked and sat beside her, “I’m Kellen.”

“I’m not about to give my name away to a stranger.”

He sighed in frustration, “You know, I wouldn’t be a stranger if you’d actually let me get to know you.”

She rolled her eyes, “Sorry.” 

“Would it help if I told you about me?”

“Probably not, but go ahead, we need something to pass the time.”

He leaned in a little as he smiled, “I can tell you’re scared of me.”

“As I should be, you could rape me right here for all I know.”

He shook his head, “I’m a gentleman, and I don’t have to resort to that. But it’s unseemly either way.”

I have no doubt that he doesn’t need to do it, women fall for him in a minute.

“That’s nice to know at least. It still doesn’t change anything, though.”

“You shouldn’t be scared of me,” he told her in such a way that she felt herself start to believe him, “I won’t hurt you,” he kept those deep eyes on her.

She looked away from him and changed the subject, “What are you even doing here? You don’t go to this school.”

“I was just driving around and saw you all alone. I was curious.”

She nodded and rubbed her arm where the bruised skin had begun to tingle.

This is stupid. I don’t know him. Why am I having such strong feelings for him? 

But she couldn’t deny that she didn’t. She was longing to touch him. And she had a feeling that he knew it.

He grinned, “So, I must admit that I’m wondering. How old are you?”

“I think you’re wanting to know if I’m legal right?” She glared at him.

He shrugged, “More or less.”

She turned away, “Just turned eighteen. But I’m not interested.”

“Oh, Happy Birthday then.”

“Thanks.”

“You’re necklace is beautiful,” he spoke with sudden fascination, moving closer to get a better look.

She blushed, “Thanks.”

He gently ran a finger over the smooth stone and accidently touched her skin.

A jolt shot through her and she had an overwhelming desire to be nearer to him.

A small smile played on his lips as he sat back, watching her. 

Self-consciously she surveyed the area around her hoping for the sign of her car. In a minute her prayer was answered and the roar of an engine sounded in the distance.

He looked up at the sound and frowned, “I guess there’s your ride.”

“Yep,” she stood up.

“You going to tell me your name?” He got up with her.

“Nope,” she said strongly, more to discourage herself than him.

“Well, I’m not sorry I tried,” his smirk was back, “it was nice to meet you, love,” he kissed her hand in one swift movement before walking back slowly to his car, leaving her breathless.

Philip glanced up at Kellen’s entrance into the room. “Where have you been?”

“I could ask the same about you,” he sat down, “I took a drive and met the ‘special girl’.”

“Ahh, and how did she look?”

“The tattoo’s forming, right now it looks like bruises. It’ll be about a week before she transforms, would be my guess.”

“Is she pretty?”

He thought back on her appearance with a smile, “Beautiful. Best part is she doesn’t know it. It’s quite refreshing. But she’s smart, she’s careful around me.”

“Is she going to be one of yours or Seth’s?”

“To early to tell. I’m going to keep an eye on her, though.”

“If she is Seth’s be careful not to provoke him.”

He snorted, “Seth is the least of my worries.”

“Just don’t be surprised if he gets territorial.”

He chuckled.

Not a chance.


How do theses bruises keep appearing?

Darby scowled at her reflection in the mirror. All these changes were happening and there was no explanation. Not all of them were bad they just weren’t her. What scared her the most was the subtlety, no one would notice but her. Beside the bruises that seemed to be getting darker, her back was starting to be really sore and tender, then her hair was growing rapidly and felt silky to the touch. 

She traced the bruises down her neck to where they seemed to connect under her necklace.

A shot of fear ran through her as she stared in horror.

Wings. A wing necklace. How did I not make the connection?

She tore off the necklace and shoved it into a drawer. She took a few calming breaths and told herself that she caught it in time, if she quit wearing it everything would go back to normal. 

Too many weird things were happening. First with her appearance, than with the boy that she was talking to.

Too many coincidences. 



© 2011 allieverwanted


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
Added on October 10, 2011
Last Updated on October 10, 2011


Author

allieverwanted
allieverwanted

Elmira, OR



About
I'm Aliya and I am sixteen. Writing is my passion and I plan on becoming a published author someday. I have written six books (mind you only three of them are any good) and am working on my sevent.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by allieverwanted


Two Two

A Chapter by allieverwanted