Nine

Nine

A Chapter by allieverwanted

Darby was confused at why Kellen was so silent on the way back to the flat. After the funeral he took her around town so she could shop for things to replace what she had to leave behind. The whole time he seemed preoccupied.

“Kellen, are you okay?”

It took him a moment before he responded, “I’m fine.”

Is he upset that I’m a dark faerie? 

She asked quietly, “Did I do something wrong?”

He stopped, “Hell no, it’s not you at all. I’m just thinking about king stuff,” he opened the door for her.

She halted when she stepped inside the room. There was another faerie. His wings and tattoo were gray and he had short dark brown hair. His pale blue eyes looked over to where Kellen and her stood.

“Hey, Philip,” Kellen greeted, “this is Darby.”

“Hi,” she smiled shyly.

“So, you’re the girl that everyone’s talking about.”

She glared at Kellen, “Everyone?”

He shrugged, “You’re a big deal. Could you go into the bedroom? I need to talk to Philip for a moment. I’ll be with you shortly.”

A blush crept into her cheeks, “Sure.”

Anything to keep him happy.

“So?” Philip prompted, “I assume she’s yours.”

Kellen didn’t answer.

“Then why is she here? Doesn’t Seth know?”

Again, he didn’t respond.

“You lied to her,” Philip stated.

“She wouldn’t have stayed if I told her the truth.”

Philip gave him a disapproving look, “You don’t know that. And what’s going to happen when Seth sees her? He’ll know she’s his.”

“Seth won’t see her,” he said flatly.

“The celebration of life?” Philip reminded him.

“We won’t go.”

“You know that that’s not an option.”

I need more time. 

“Look, you go to her, we’ll work this out tomorrow,” Philip sighed.

Tomorrow. I get Darby tonight.

Darby looked up as he approached, “Is everything okay?”

No, nothing is going like I planned. 

“It’s fine, don’t worry about it.”

“Who’s Philip? Is he your brother?”

He laughed at that thought, “No, my advisor. Since he’s here he’ll get the couch. It’s where he normally sleeps and I don’t want to take that away from him. Would you mind if we shared the bed?” He gazed directly into her eyes, completely aware of how breathless she was when she replied,

“Not at all.”

He grinned.

She moved over to give him more room. He accepted it and tried not to frown.

I’d rather have us much closer.

“Are you uncomfortable?”

“No,” she said.

It wasn’t a lie.

He smiled and let his finger lightly stroke her black, satin, feathered wings. He felt her stiffen before moving farther away from him; making him chuckle. Then, slowly, he ran a hand down her arm. He expected her to return back to him, like how most of the faeries did, but she only made more space between them. He growled in frustration.

He thought he hear her muffled laugh and that made him try harder. He stayed still and waited.

Moments later he noticed her hand searching for him, most likely judging how far away he was from her.

He caught it gently and leaned down to kiss it. He sensed her astonishment which almost got him to laugh again.

Why is she so shocked?

She didn’t force him away anymore and he advanced closer. Tenderly, he pushed her hair off the back of her neck and kissed the tattooed skin delicately. Gradually she relaxed and laid back closer to him until she was touching his bare chest. He draped his arm over her body and closed his eyes.

Leave her wanting more. 

But he found it was him who was wanting more.

Darby wasn’t completely sure if last night really happened. But when she woke up with Kellen’s arm still around her she knew it was real.

“Good morning,” he acknowledged, getting up, “I’ll let you get ready.”

She nodded as the back of her neck tingled from where he had kissed her. After she was dressed and ready she joined him on the couch. Philip was still there, and she felt intrusive even though he seemed perfectly comfortable with her presence.

“Is there anything you want to do today?” Kellen asked her.

“Umm, what can we do?”

He laughed, “I’m king, we can do whatever we want.”

Philip cleared his throat, “Actually, Kellen, we have some things we need to work. It’s already pretty late.”

Kellen grimaced but squeezed her hand, “I’ll send some guards out so you can be out in the city.”

She nodded.

I’d rather be with you. 

He kissed her cheek before sending her out.

Darby found herself growing immensely annoyed with Kellen’s guards throughout the day. They followed behind her, hidden by glamour to try to seem less conspicuous but she was still very aware that they were there and didn’t understand why the humans around her didn’t seem at all worried. 

Why would they? They don’t know. They think I’m human too. 

Although they gave her space they definitely took they’re job seriously. If she went anywhere that they believed Kellen wouldn’t approve of they’d escort her out. And she couldn’t argue or she’d look crazy. It soon became enough that she snapped at one of them who turned “mortal” so she had someone to talk to.

“Is there a place you could take me that he wouldn’t feel threatened by?”

So they took her to a coffee shop. She didn’t particularly like coffee or the groups of college kids that gathered there but she sucked it up and ordered a hot chocolate and sat in the corner. 

Even if she wasn’t used to her wings or tattoo she found herself missing them every time she passed by a window and saw her reflection. It was like part of her was missing, and she didn’t like it.

Soon I’ll be back with Kellen and I can feel normal again.

The thought almost made her laugh.

Who would’ve thought that I’d feel normal with wings?

She looked up from the paper she was reading to see a couple of female faeries staring at her.

Since when can I tell faeries apart from humans? 

But then she was unnerved.

I’m a faerie too, what’s their problem?

It also bothered the guard sitting beside her. He was quiet the whole day, except when he was making her leave places. But now he looked disturbed, “We’re leaving.”

She looked up at the tall and strong faerie, “But I’m not done.”

“Kellen has hot chocolate at the flat. We need to go.”

“Now Kellen’s banning coffee shops?” She complained, following them out.

He has some major safety issues.



© 2011 allieverwanted


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
Added on October 10, 2011
Last Updated on October 10, 2011


Author

allieverwanted
allieverwanted

Elmira, OR



About
I'm Aliya and I am sixteen. Writing is my passion and I plan on becoming a published author someday. I have written six books (mind you only three of them are any good) and am working on my sevent.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by allieverwanted


Two Two

A Chapter by allieverwanted