Four

Four

A Chapter by allieverwanted

Seth paced back and forth. He knew he had a decision to make, as much as he didn’t want to make it. He closed his eyes when he answered, “Cremate the body. We’ll spread the ashes at the Temple of Eclipse in a week or so, make it a celebration of life.”

The faerie who gave him the news nodded and left to fulfill the command.

“A celebration of life? That’s pretty risky, do we want to give the mortals the satisfaction?” Anthony, his lead guard, asked, pouring his king a glass of light wine.

He accepted the glass gratefully and took a drink before responding, “She was a light faerie who, because of a murderous mortal, lost her life. She deserves to have a celebration of her life,” he was still a little shaken, “she was so young.”

“Are we going to avenge them for what they did?”

He shook his head, “It’d be foolish to start a war or kill over her. We aren’t the Dark Empire, we will not continue the bloodshed.”

Anthony glowered but couldn’t disobey his king.

“Well, I suppose we must invite Kellen,” he sighed.

“Why?” Anthony hissed, “it’s not any concern of his. He didn’t know the girl and it’s not his empire. All that’s going to happen is he’ll get drunk and ruin everything.”

“I’m flattered you think so highly of me,” a voice spoke out.

Seth turned and scowled at the visitor, “Who let you in?”

Kellen smiled innocently, “Your lovely guards,” he waved back at the grim faced guards.

“What do you want?” He asked in annoyance.

Kellen sat in Seth’s desk chair and put his feet on the desk, “I saw the girl today.”

Seth struggled to keep the jealousy out of his voice as he replied, “And how’d she look?”

“Beautiful. But well on her way, I give her a week.”

“Is she mine or yours?”

Be mine. Please, be mine. 

“Couldn’t tell,” Kellen looked around at all the somber faces, “what’s going on here?”

He knew he couldn’t hide the truth, Kellen already had the proof of taste that something was wrong, “One of mine was murdered by a mortal.”

Kellen stopped and the arrogance was absent from his face, “By a mortal? Are you sure?”

“He shot her.”

“That shouldn’t have been enough to kill her.”

“She was young. I don’t even think she could feed by herself yet.”

“I’m so sorry.”

Seth wasn’t put off by his remorse. A dead faerie was always a tragedy, one killed by a mortal is devastating. Even if they weren’t apart of the his empire he’d still pay his respects. “Yeah, it’s such a shame.” 

“I assume you’re holding some kind of funeral.”

“Celebration of life,” he corrected.

“All the same, it’ll be my honor to attend,” Kellen smirked at Anthony, “I’ll be on my best behavior.”

Anthony scowled but didn’t say anything in response. Kellen may not be his king, but he was still a king and kings were always treated with utmost respect. 

But Seth knew that was hard for Anthony and cut him some slack, after all Seth really couldn’t blame him. And as long as he didn’t directly insult the king, Seth wasn’t about to punish him. Besides, Kellen never got offended by it, he made it his goal to get a rise out of Anthony at each visit. 

Kellen poured himself a glass of wine, “That being said, I have to ask, how did you allow that to happen in the first place?”

Seth’s temper flared, “I allowed nothing! It was an unfortunate accident! These damn mortals are getting to independent and cocky!”

Kellen took a drink before calmly stating, “Are we going to turn this into a war?”

Seth’s anger evaporated until all that was left was appall, “No! It’s only one faerie. I’m not going to lose hundreds of mine in a war for one faerie.”

“You said so yourself they’re getting to cocky, let’s knock them down a few pegs,” Kellen was getting excited now, Seth could taste it.

“No,” he repeated firmly.

Kellen grimaced, Seth knew Kellen well enough to know that he wouldn’t fight in a war against the mortals without Seth’s help. “Then let me know when you get the balls to fight,” he drained his glass and stood up.

“Wait,” Seth called back, “about the girl. What’s she like?”

Kellen stopped, “She’s smart and feisty. Absolutely breath taking. And she’s still mortal, imagine her as a faerie,” Kellen faltered at the end.

Seth smiled at the image that was illustrated in his head.

Please be mine. 

Kellen grinned, probably at the scent of the longing that Seth gave off, “Don’t get your hopes up, Seth, we don’t know which empire she’s on yet.”

“Stay out of my head,” he growled.

“Then don’t make your feelings so loud,” Kellen retorted.

“Get out!” Seth commanded.

Kellen shrugged and walked out.

He took a long swig of his wine and ignored Anthony’s look, “Tell the guards to back off, I want to be alone.”

Anthony bobbed his head in recognition, “Do you want me outside, to keep people away.”

Seth smiled at his favorite guard, “Sure,” he sat down in his leather chair and put his head in his hands. He knew he shouldn’t get attached, especially with her not leaning toward any particular empire. But he was desperate to see her, and if Kellen did, it would only be fair if he did too.

He sat up in defiance.

I’ll see her. There’s no harm in that. And who knows, that could help influence which empire she’s on.





© 2011 allieverwanted


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
Added on October 10, 2011
Last Updated on October 10, 2011


Author

allieverwanted
allieverwanted

Elmira, OR



About
I'm Aliya and I am sixteen. Writing is my passion and I plan on becoming a published author someday. I have written six books (mind you only three of them are any good) and am working on my sevent.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by allieverwanted


Two Two

A Chapter by allieverwanted