The Duo - The Ambush

The Duo - The Ambush

A Chapter by The Omniscient Narrator

The sun rose above the forest, gleaming upon Leithian’s face. He awoke and sniffed the air. There was something different about the smell. He leaped towards his bow, and then noticed the new smell. Leithian sighed and laughed. Xinskarr awoke and rubbed his eyes “What’s wrong, Elf?” Leithian rubbed his eyes and said “Nothing Dragonborn, just got a little arrow-happy.” Leithian stretched and cracked each bone in his slender body. Xinskarr stood up, picked up both of his swords and swung them, almost decapitating Leithian. The Elf jumped back and landed in a defensive position. “Watch it, friendly fire” Leithian cried. Hm, never thought I would be friends with anyone after that night, never mind a Dragonborn he considered. “Sorry, I needed to stretch my arms” Xinskarr laughed nervously. I need to be careful around this Elf; he looks more battle-hardened than those well fed idiots with whips he thought. Leithian put the bow on his back and looted the bodies from the previous night. But then he found an insignia on each body’s neck. Weird. He called the Dragonborn over to the fallen Orc. “I’ve seen this before” claimed Xinskarr “This is a sign for a clan, those who were the undoing of my own.” He kicked the Orc in fury. Leithian ears twitched; he had heard something. The Elf quickly jumped into a nearby tree, and ran towards the noise. Xinskarr stood there, baffled by the Elf’s quick movement. He knew there was no way of catching up to him, so he waited.

Leithian stopped as he saw what was emitting this noise; Orcs. There was far too much for a confrontation, so he sat and waited. The Orcs marched into the woods, towards Xinskarr. These must be our adversaries’ buddies he thought, whilst loading his bow. An Orc from the back split off, away from his friends. Perfect, Leithian thought, forming a grin. As the Orc went deeper into the forest, Leithian trailed it, not losing the sight of the others. The bushes were high enough to hide the Orc, if he was lying flat. The black arrow pierced the Orc’s skull. Leithian landed next to the dead Orc, and looked on his neck. Leithian’s eyes widened. The Elf climbed back up the tree and ran towards Xinskarr, passing the group on the way back.

“Ready your weapon” Leithian warned, whilst landing. Xinskarr did not question why, and jumped into the nearest bush. Leithian climbed the tree adjacent to Xinskarr. Then they waited. Bushes rattled from in front of them. Then a party consisting of six Orcs appeared out of the wilderness. Leithian loaded his bow, and Xinskarr twirled his swords. An Orc split from the group to inspect the dead Orc. “Opportune moment” Xinskarr whispered. Leithian looked down at the poised Dragonborn. I’m not sure he understands the concept of ambushing he thought, becoming agitated. The Orc reached down to the Orc, examining it. A battle cry echoed around the forest, and a head landed next to the already dead Orc. Xinskarr was standing there, flicking the blood off of his sword. “C’mon Riika, let’s see what you got.” The Orcs began their charge at the Dragonborn. Xinskarr prepared to unleash his Dragonbreath, but stopped. A flurry of arrows rained down upon the Orcs, killing all but one Orc. The surviving Orc started to crawl away from the Dragonborn, confused about what happened. Leithian back flipped out of the tree and landed on the Orc’s leg, snapping it. The Orc screamed in agony. Xinskarr laughed. Leithian pulled a metal arrow from his quiver. “Tell me where you came from, and this won’t be sticking out of your forehead” Leithian snarled. The Orc pointed at where they first emerged. “We came from the camp beyond this forest” he cried. Leithian placed his arrow back into his quiver, and stepped away from the Orc. “Since you gave me that information, I shall give you 5 seconds to escape before I shoot you.” Leithian replied, smiling. The Orc stood up on one leg. “Five.” The Orc started to hop. “Four.” The Orc tripped on a large branch. “Three.” The Orc stood back up and limped. An arrow pierced its heart, and it fell. “Two, one, zero.” Leithian finished. The Dragonborn equipped his armour, “You’re a cold Elf” he judged. Leithian pulled the arrow out of the Orc. “Sometimes there is no room for mercy for those who took your life away from you” he said, with a stern look. Xinskarr tightened his gauntlet, and joined Leithian. “Looks like it’s time to pillage, Elf” he said, laughing.

Leithian looked upon the Orc camp from a nearby cliff. He spotted supplies that will help in neutralising the camp. Xinskarr sat next to him, with his head in one hand. “C’mon Elf, this is boring” he complained. Leithian turned to Xinskarr at a fast pace. “Do you want to go in there blind?” the Elf questioned. Xinskarr looked at Leithian, and sighed. Leithian formalised a plan. “Okay, here’s the plan…”

Xinskarr didn’t like this plan that the Elf set in motion, but he carried it through to the letter. Xinskarr cracked his fists. “Hey Riika, come and get me!” he shouted, alerting any Orc in the vicinity. They laughed, and one stood up to face the Dragonborn. The Orc charged at Xinskarr. Pfft, this is going to be easier than I thought Xinskarr thought. The charging Orc sped up. Xinskarr moved one of his legs back. The Orc closed in. Now. Xinskarr punched the Orc’s head, breaking every bone in his neck. The Orc landed with a large thud. “Who’s next?!” Xinskarr shouted, challenging all nearby Orcs. They all started to charge him. This better work. Xinskarr went down, being held down.

Leithian used the commotion to infiltrate the camp. He dragged the heavy oil drums behind large structures of the camp, pouring trails of oil between them. He then ripped a section of cloth from one of the tents and wrapped it around an arrow, dipped it in oil, and lit it. He then snuck behind a nearby stone, and looked into the camp.

Xinskarr was escorted into the centre of the camp. The Orcs pushed him onto the ground, and the Orc Leader appeared in front of him. He looked at the Dragonborn, and took out his axe. “Any last words, before your head decorates my hut?” Xinskarr sniffed the air; he could smell oil. Xinskarr laughed. The Orc punched his jaw. “You laugh at the face of death. You’re brave.” Xinskarr looked into the Orc’s eyes. “I may be laughing at death, but you will not be the dealer.” A flaming arrow hit an oil drum, causing it to explode. The Orc’s looked around, confused. A metal arrow soared through the air, hitting the leader in the throat. The Orc Leader spat blood onto Xinskarr, and he laughed. Two more arrows hit the Orcs holding him in place. Xinskarr stood, and punched an Orc, taking its weapon, and decapitating it. Fire spread across the camp, reaching the second oil drum, causing another explosion to go off, knocking everyone nearby to the ground. Xinskarr sliced the Orc Leaders’ head off and placed it on a spike, outside the burning hut, and ran into the woods. The dynamic duo took off into the darkness. “I need a drink,” exclaimed Xinskarr. “I know the perfect place” Leithian said, cracking a smile.



© 2014 The Omniscient Narrator


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
Added on June 9, 2014
Last Updated on June 9, 2014
Tags: D&D, Dungeons and Dragons, Fantasy


Author

The Omniscient Narrator
The Omniscient Narrator

London, United Kingdom



About
I'm a young person that enjoys writing, whether it be fiction or articles. more..

Writing