1) Summer Begins

1) Summer Begins

A Chapter by Kelly M.

The ocean waves lapped at the shore, and seagulls flew overhead where colors splashed across the sky in a lovely sunset.  This was my favorite place to be, and where I felt completely carefree, and where I could forget my troublesome worries.
"Jackie," a soft voice called.
I turned, my brown hair playing about my face that had been slightly touched with pink from the sun.
"Jordan," I exclaimed when I saw my best friend approaching me, "I thought you wouldn't be home until tomorrow."  I gave her a welcome home hug.
She smiled, enjoying when she surprised me.
"We were restless.  Who wants to be in the dreary weather of New York when summer is just beginning?"
I laughed.  "When you called two nights ago you had exclaimed over the luxurious restaurants, and tall buildings with fascinating people who talked nonstop.  Has city life wore out its welcome?"
"Well, Mrytle Beach isn't exactly not a city," she said, laughing, "but, yes, I didn't really like it.  At first I did," she admitted, pushing back a strand of dirty blond hair.  "Now, I'm not so sure.  After a time, I began missing life in South Carolina.  Besides, I was lonesome for the sound of the crashing waves.  All I hear in New York are passing cars."
"Well, I'm glad you're back," I said, locking my arm with hers.  "Now, we'll have the whole summer to ourselves."
And, like we had done years ago, we drew pictures in the sand, and ran barefoot through the waves, laughing like silly children.  Then we lied down on the sand, and counted the stars in the sky, beginning to talk of past memories.
"Remember Mr. Brinks?  He was our music teacher, wasn't he?  He was so kind.  I sometimes wonder if he'll ever come back here.  Myrtle Beach is just so beautiful."
I nodded, smiling softly.  "Yes, it is."
"Let me think of another time," she said aloud.  "Oh, remember when Austin poured ice down your back?  Of course, I barely knew you then, but I remember you being as mad as a hornet."
I stood up, wiping the sand from my clothes.  I didn't feel like talking of the past anymore-- not when it had to do with Austin.
"What's wrong, Jackie?" she asked, standing up.
"It's getting late.  My parents will be worried," I answered, hurrying away.  Tears stung at my eyes, but I willed them back.  I had refused to ever speak or think of Austin Blaire again, but it appeared that my heart hadn't forgotten or released the pain he had caused me.


© 2011 Kelly M.


Author's Note

Kelly M.
This is just a short beginning, and I'm sorry I didn't give too much description of Jackie or Jordan yet. I'll try to do that in the next chapter.

Tell me what you think of this chapter--- detailed, honest reviews please! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love it. It kept me on my toes wondering what would happen next. Beautiful imagery, brilliant ideas, and lovely grammar. Well done :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like it and it already sets off curiosty of what happened between her and austin.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I can't wait to read more. This was very nice and I will totally continue to read it!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hmmmmm I really hope that we find out why this Austin guy is a problem for Jackie. I loved the beauty you put into the ocean/beach area and how you made the characters stand out. Just one little critique, make sure you let the readers know what the characters look like. (I know in my book I'm taking forever to describe the characters, but I tell the ppl that I'll be describing them later.) This chapter really brought me into the book and I can't wait till the next one. Keep me updated with RRs or just simply post a comment on my profile :)

~Lizzard~

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think its an excellent start!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Great start! One critique though, try not to start a sentence off with 'And'. You did that with one of your sentences.
I'm looking forward to getting to know your characters better and reading more! Let me know when you have more posted :)

~Erinne

Posted 12 Years Ago


I liked it. . Cant wait to read more!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

428 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 3, 2011
Last Updated on July 11, 2011


Author

Kelly M.
Kelly M.

SC



About
"The Spirit of God made me; the breath of the Almighty God gives me life." Job 33:4 more..

Writing
By a Friend By a Friend

A Poem by Kelly M.


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Kelly M.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Kelly M.